Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Jan 2007, 16:38 (Ref:1819502)   #1
Red Bulldog
Racer

Canada
Beaver Bank, NS
Red Bulldog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why no driver announcement yet from STR?

Now there's talk of a 2nd test for Bourdais, mentions of Doornbos, Montiero and even Hakkinen, and crititicism of the current drivers.

To quote the great Master "something is happening here but you don't know what it is" do you Mr Berger?
Old 19 Jan 2007, 17:45 (Ref:1819574)   #2
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
automoto365.com reports that Monteiro is in pole position (funny they keep using this term whenever the STR seats come up ) for the ride

however, just wich of the STR guys are to be replaced, remains a questions (based on previous threads just about half of the people seems to think its Speed, while obviously the other half reckons it must be Liuzzi, Berger never dropped a hint yet)
Old 19 Jan 2007, 17:55 (Ref:1819582)   #3
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
also Dornbos' manager confirmed talks with STR, saying, there is a slight chance for his protegee to secure the race seat. he was very clear on that he wants Dornbos to race in 2007, at the same time Robert secretly tested Forsythe Racing, so that leaves me thinking:

Dornbos - racing for either in STR or some Champcar team

Monteiro - either racing for STR or becoming Red Bull's next pay-per-mile test driver (Dornbos' successor)

As for Bourdais and Karthikeyan, I think its safe to rule them out, Bourdais stays in Champcar for another season, while Kartikeyan is confirmed to race in A1GP parallel to his WilliamsF1 testing duties (thats probably as far as his budget goes in 2007)
Old 19 Jan 2007, 20:07 (Ref:1819710)   #4
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
Bourdais to test STR again and in the interview they refering to (was in Auto, Motor Und Sport btw) Berger was quite outspoken as to why he isnt so keen on keeping the current line-up. He said, the guys are partying way to much and their approach is very unprofessional, they think driving F1 cars is just fun, and unless they change their attitude, he doesnt see the future with them
Old 20 Jan 2007, 14:56 (Ref:1820345)   #5
rallycrosscraig
Racer

rallycrosscraig has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
if Torro Rosso come up with a decent car next year it would be a waste of its potential to keep either of the current drivers, only my opinion of course but just cant see either of them coming up with the goods.
Old 20 Jan 2007, 15:01 (Ref:1820349)   #6
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonso11
As for Bourdais and Karthikeyan, I think its safe to rule them out, Bourdais stays in Champcar for another season, while Kartikeyan is confirmed to race in A1GP parallel to his WilliamsF1 testing duties (thats probably as far as his budget goes in 2007)
Can't see how parallel comes into it when the A1GP season ends in April. I'm sure he'd ditch the last three A1GP rides for a full season's spin in a Newey designed, Ferrari powered Formula 1 machine.

I think STR's problem were their drivers last season - and I don't think both being replaced will be a problem for them. Monteiro has adequate speed and great consistancy - so he'd be a good catch. A rookie speed demon to keep the pace up would be ideal as a team mate. Neither Liuzzi or Speed fit that anymore.
Old 20 Jan 2007, 18:55 (Ref:1820436)   #7
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems odd...but Bordais has already said he is staying in Champ Cars for 2007 at least...is it really necessary to link him with a race seat for this season?

There are no other drivers available that could do better than Speed or Liuzzi. Monteiro...well he's hardly been impressive over the last 2 seasons, and Karthikeyan was very poor at Jordan in 2005.

I'm not at all sure what to make of Speed and Liuzzi's contribution last season because they were the only drivers using a rev-limited V10-powered car. Not that that would explain why they were pointing in the wrong direction so frequently...but perhaps it was just a dog to drive. I think they deserve another chance, as much as any other driver deserves the seat.
Old 20 Jan 2007, 19:24 (Ref:1820454)   #8
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89
It seems odd...but Bordais has already said he is staying in Champ Cars for 2007 at least...is it really necessary to link him with a race seat for this season?

There are no other drivers available that could do better than Speed or Liuzzi. Monteiro...well he's hardly been impressive over the last 2 seasons, and Karthikeyan was very poor at Jordan in 2005.

I'm not at all sure what to make of Speed and Liuzzi's contribution last season because they were the only drivers using a rev-limited V10-powered car. Not that that would explain why they were pointing in the wrong direction so frequently...but perhaps it was just a dog to drive. I think they deserve another chance, as much as any other driver deserves the seat.

I totally agree -- These guys both deserve a second full season I believe -- But Gerhard dissed them regarding their work ethic in an interview a few days ago -- I hope it was just a shot across their bow to wake them up to the fact that they've got to be really serious and really impressive this year.
Old 20 Jan 2007, 20:22 (Ref:1820490)   #9
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Toro Rosso will "rotate" drivers, like RBR did with Klien and Liuzzi in the second car in 2005. So that would be 4 races for Liuzzi and Speed, 4 races for Liuzzi and Dornbos, 4 races for Monteiro and Dornbos, and 4 races for Monteiro and Speed.
Or maybe there is somebody else they want to try out, too. Remember they can now run everyone they want on a Friday. So there is no need to prematurely announce anybody.
Old 20 Jan 2007, 21:45 (Ref:1820520)   #10
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Can't see how parallel comes into it when the A1GP season ends in April. I'm sure he'd ditch the last three A1GP rides for a full season's spin in a Newey designed, Ferrari powered Formula 1 machine.
wheather he would or would not like to drive a Newey car is hardly the point. And its parallel because Williams have plenty of tests scheduled before the A1GP season ends, their testdriver Kartikeyan will be also out there testing.
Old 20 Jan 2007, 22:50 (Ref:1820571)   #11
locco
Rookie

locco has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Scott speed was just interviewed on speedtv in the Barrette jackson car auction, and he said he has a contract for the season and he'll be racing, and that the boss is saying those things to maybe keep them on their toes and force them to train harder.
Old 20 Jan 2007, 23:11 (Ref:1820581)   #12
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I think that STR might just be taking a leaf out of the BMW manual of driver management.
Old 22 Jan 2007, 00:39 (Ref:1821361)   #13
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think STR is just keeping their options open. Effectively, there are no more race seats in F1, so there's no hurry that their drivers will jump ship. On the other hand, drivers are queuing up to have a shot, and the extra suspense allow more media speculation. That their new sponsor may have an opinion or two attached to their cash is a possibility.

i'd expect Bourdais, if he manage to put in a decent test in subsequent sessions, will be in a STR for 2008, but not before. And speaking of A1GP, there are quite a few young talents which teams could pick up on the cheap.
Old 22 Jan 2007, 12:51 (Ref:1821664)   #14
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Can't see how parallel comes into it when the A1GP season ends in April.
now even you might be able to see how parallel comes into in the light of this article Narain skips the Sydney round of A1GP to be back in Europe for the Williams launch. Is he (i mean his sponsors) still in the race for the STR seat? Doubted.

At the same time another confirmation came out from Dornbos, he still very much hope to secure the STR ride and claims that it even effected his personal relationship with Liuzzi and Speed (in a bad way of course) so its a Dornbos/Monteiro vs Liuzzi/Speed sorta thing now with Viso being an outside bet.
Old 22 Jan 2007, 12:55 (Ref:1821667)   #15
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Personally, I don't rate Speed or Luizzi, they are uber average in my estimation.
Old 22 Jan 2007, 13:38 (Ref:1821714)   #16
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewolf
I totally agree -- These guys both deserve a second full season I believe -- But Gerhard dissed them regarding their work ethic in an interview a few days ago -- I hope it was just a shot across their bow to wake them up to the fact that they've got to be really serious and really impressive this year.
It's the same with a few youngsters...thats what sets Alonso and Raikkonen aart, for example. If Berger's comments are meant to be constructive criticism then fair enough...but it is a little strange that they are yet to announce who their drivers are.
Old 22 Jan 2007, 18:32 (Ref:1821962)   #17
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Yes, very -- and according to this link there won't be an announcement on their drivers until February 6 ---
http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s49....htm?fromrss=1
Old 22 Jan 2007, 18:45 (Ref:1821980)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Liuzzi and Speed don't come across as having the consistency or mentality to truly succeed in Formula One, but it's not as if Montiero, Doornbos or Karthikeyan are especially promising either. I'd probably say Doornbos and Liuzzi would be ideal, but then Montiero and Karthikeyan seem to have more money, and axing Speed could damage Red Bull sales in the US (or is it banned there? If so, no reason to have a US driver).
Old 22 Jan 2007, 18:49 (Ref:1821991)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd have Karthikeyan over the lot any day (except Bourdais, obviously). You may not be getting the best driver available, but you will get a guy with a lot of heart and who tries hard all the time.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 07:41 (Ref:1824360)   #20
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
IMO when it comes to a really young driver like Speed -- it makes sense to give him a second year or at least start the season with him to see how he is on tracks where he's got a year under his belt in an F1 car, and see how he compares to his rookie year visa vi improvement -- And Liuzzi's only two years older than Speed -- If someone were waiting in the wings who was just beyond astonishing, then you'd have to go with him, but to me, unless there's a problem with funds, and Gerhard has to go with the driver who brings money, I can't believe he would bounce these guys without at least letting them start the year without that goofy rev limited and dated old car to see how they stack up against the others with better equipment - They may have actually done a good job considering the equipment they had {or perhaps the reverse} we'll never know -- but in any case --> Methinks some people here just write off drivers so quick it's ridiculous.

Last edited by Bluewolf; 24 Jan 2007 at 07:49.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 07:46 (Ref:1824361)   #21
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
I'd have Karthikeyan over the lot any day (except Bourdais, obviously). You may not be getting the best driver available, but you will get a guy with a lot of heart and who tries hard all the time.
I'm rich, I'm certainly not the best driver, but I'm a person with a lot of heart for the sport and I will try hard all the time! GIVE IT TO ME, TO ME I SAY!
Old 24 Jan 2007, 15:26 (Ref:1824787)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That is somewhat missing the point...
Old 24 Jan 2007, 19:49 (Ref:1825020)   #23
marzF1rocks
Racer

England
Derbyshire
marzF1rocks has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
think there keeping the same line up, from what iv heard
Old 24 Jan 2007, 21:11 (Ref:1825114)   #24
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Scott Speed has been announced as taking part in the Abu Dhabi street display for Toro Rosso. Seems like he's in.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 22:04 (Ref:1825190)   #25
baclightning
Racer

United States
Kirkland, WA, USA
baclightning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
..and axing Speed could damage Red Bull sales in the US (or is it banned there? If so, no reason to have a US driver).
No - they have a huge presence here. Go into any grocery store here in Washington state, and one of the first things you'll see is a Red Bull display. Red Bull are sponsoring a NASCAR Nextel Cup team for the first time this season, so it seems they're trying to raise their profile here even more.