Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 18 Apr 2008, 16:27 (Ref:2180790)   #1
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Porsche/VAG not interested in F1

Quote:
Porsche: scandal makes F1 unattractive

Car makers Porsche and Volkswagen have ruled out entering Formula One, saying high costs and a sex scandal involving motorsport chief Max Mosley made the sport unattractive to them.

"300 million euros a year - that is just burning money," Volkswagen chairman Ferdinand Piech told German news magazine Stern on Friday.

"And after the affair with Max Mosley and the women it would not be very savoury to get involved (in Formula One) now," added his Porsche counterpart Wolfgang Porsche.

Source: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/66708
I guess this stops the rumours for good about Audi entering F1. Good news for sportscar racing.
Old 18 Apr 2008, 16:33 (Ref:2180796)   #2
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Indeed good news! O.K. Porsche,it's near a solid ten years since you've shown the world who's truly the best sportscarbuilder,we are ready for a lesson in dieselwhipping !
Old 18 Apr 2008, 16:48 (Ref:2180802)   #3
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Audi has said several, several times, they feel F1 as lost touch with production cars and offers little benefit in return for its investment.

Just like BMW says NYE to DTM, Audi/VW AG say NYE to F1.. Old news, not going to change...
Old 18 Apr 2008, 17:24 (Ref:2180823)   #4
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I am suprised at this considering how much involvement and interest VW have in Red Bull, I thought that Toro Rosso may have been in line for being bought VW. Just my thoughts.

I don't think Audi would want to come into Formula 1 when they are a luxury brand and want to be seen as building long lasting cars, hence the Le Mans effort.
Old 18 Apr 2008, 17:38 (Ref:2180833)   #5
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Porsche: scandal makes F1 unattractive

Car makers Porsche and Volkswagen have ruled out entering Formula One, saying high costs and a sex scandal involving motorsport chief Max Mosley made the sport unattractive to them.

"300 million euros a year - that is just burning money," Volkswagen chairman Ferdinand Piech told German news magazine Stern on Friday.

"And after the affair with Max Mosley and the women it would not be very savoury to get involved (in Formula One) now," added his Porsche counterpart Wolfgang Porsche.

Source: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/66708
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis
I guess this stops the rumours for good about Audi entering F1. Good news for sportscar racing.
I agree with the assessment! Bonfire of the vanities so to speak.

L.P.
Old 18 Apr 2008, 20:55 (Ref:2180959)   #6
Paddy_NL
Racer

Netherlands
Rotterdam, NL
Paddy_NL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
"300 million euros a year - that is just burning money,"
Indeed, that sounds about a good enough excuse not to enter F1, probably together with all those stupid rules changing just about every fortnight.

Using the Mosely scandal looks like the weakest excuse ever though, complete and utter bull to think nobody would buy a VW because some (soon to be) former president of the FIA did something weird.
Old 19 Apr 2008, 07:42 (Ref:2181162)   #7
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Erm, Porsche has no problem running in the FIA GT Championship...?
Old 19 Apr 2008, 09:19 (Ref:2181208)   #8
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'am happy to read this new. Formula 1 is not interesting like Sport/Prototype or GT races. Too much stupid rules, too much politic and too much moneys wasted all around. It's only smoke in the fans' eyes. From a technical point o view, it's less interesting for engineers and car manifacturers. Too much rules, any engine development and inefficient aerodynamic (if compared to Sports and Prototypes cars). I would see the Porsche challenge Audi and Peugeot with a PETROL engined P1. Thit would be a real superlative show for all the fans!
F1? No, thank. We could use better this 300 million €!!!
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR
Old 19 Apr 2008, 09:30 (Ref:2181216)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario911
Too much stupid rules, too much politic and too much moneys wasted all around.
Fortunately Sportscar racing is devoid of this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
Erm, Porsche has no problem running in the FIA GT Championship...?
Good point. Max doesn't jsut run F1, he runs the FIA which has a far bigger portfolio that just F1. Both in the racing and road car world.

Personally I don't think that Audi (et al) had any interest in F1 anyway. They can spend less big bucks elsewhere and do the promotion and hospitality stuff in other series.
Here they were probably asked about Max and answered. I don't think this is a defining moment in their non-involvement in F1. Still it is nice to hear that they are still interested in Sportscar racing.
Old 19 Apr 2008, 09:47 (Ref:2181229)   #10
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
This sex scandal was just a good reason to say it now... altough it has been quite big thing in Germany, for obvious reasons.
Old 19 Apr 2008, 12:06 (Ref:2181327)   #11
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy_NL
Using the Mosely scandal looks like the weakest excuse ever though, complete and utter bull to think nobody would buy a VW because some (soon to be) former president of the FIA did something weird.
Only a few years ago at VW....So yes it's not a very good excuse.
Old 19 Apr 2008, 14:11 (Ref:2181404)   #12
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't undestrand the connection between the sexy scandal and the F1 refusal for VAG.
However, I'm happy for their decision.
Audi, Peugeot,Toyota, BMW (rumored), Porsche, are all interested in sport cars, and this is the importance. The real show is in this category, not certain in F1.
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR
Old 19 Apr 2008, 14:25 (Ref:2181415)   #13
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario911
I don't undestrand the connection between the sexy scandal and the F1 refusal for VAG.
However, I'm happy for their decision.
Audi, Peugeot,Toyota, BMW (rumored), Porsche, are all interested in sport cars, and this is the importance. The real show is in this category, not certain in F1.
BMW interested in prototype racing? Thats new for me.
Old 19 Apr 2008, 14:52 (Ref:2181424)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh how I wish that to be true, but only Audi and Peugeot are in the top category. Unlike F1 which actually has Ferrari, Mercedes, BMW, Honda, Toyota and Renault. I might not disagree with the real show part, but if it is by measure of manufacturers then I'm not sure it is. I'm of the opinion that comparison is worthless. At best it is irrelevant, at worse it just highlights the bad in both series.

On the scandal, I'm not sure I'd describe it as "sexy", but I think that may be a translation thing!
Old 20 Apr 2008, 08:33 (Ref:2181862)   #15
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Oh how I wish that to be true, but only Audi and Peugeot are in the top category. Unlike F1 which actually has Ferrari, Mercedes, BMW, Honda, Toyota and Renault. I might not disagree with the real show part, but if it is by measure of manufacturers then I'm not sure it is. I'm of the opinion that comparison is worthless. At best it is irrelevant, at worse it just highlights the bad in both series.

On the scandal, I'm not sure I'd describe it as "sexy", but I think that may be a translation thing!
In a few very short years, I think your see the interest in F1 wane and Eco-friendly ALMS/LMS fortunes increase greatly.

LMS and FIA GT just to tinker with the minor details, talked about in other threads and work on the "For The Fans" part that works so well for the ALMS (the throng at Sebring and today at Long Beach say it all.)

Toyota has neither denied or confirm, but has already, tested and won with hybrid petrol power. However gas hybrid are not yet sexy or thrilling. Having staked its Eco fortunes on hybrids, I think they'll want to re-enforce that promotion with a racing effort and you can't do that in Sprint Cup or F1, so that leaves big time Sportscar Racing, where we fans benefit from greater focus on energy consumption and great racing.

When Acura jumps to P1, I think you'll see a turbo-diesel (something Honda is working on for production cars in America and Europe) or a gas-hybrid racing engine.

I don't think they'll go with a purely gas powered car, as I am sure they feel they need a slight edge on Audi and hybrid gas could save a lap or two at Le Mans.
Old 20 Apr 2008, 08:58 (Ref:2181887)   #16
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
I am suprised at this considering how much involvement and interest VW have in Red Bull
Surley its the other way around ..... Red Bull showing interest in VAG , for an advertizing campaign ??
Old 20 Apr 2008, 09:04 (Ref:2181890)   #17
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Were VAG showing interest in F1 ?!?!?!

I reckon its a convienent excuse (Mosely scandel) for VAG to say that they arnt interested in F1 ..... But a comment from VAG about the scandel ..... certainly does not look good for the future of Max , now does it ?

Anyway ..... delighted that they are not interested in F1 ..... whatever the excuse .
Old 20 Apr 2008, 12:32 (Ref:2182054)   #18
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie
In a few very short years, I think your see the interest in F1 wane and Eco-friendly ALMS/LMS fortunes increase greatly.
Depends how F1's new engine concept (2013) turns out. Even if it turned out to be something like V6 turbos with bio-diesel (that idea has been thrown around), then that still leaves a lot more options to choose from in LMPs.

Luckily whole "diesel" word makes regular F1 fans already cry because they think more eco-friendly somehow means slow cars. If LMP rules stays as they are now, with no forcing to "go green" and relatively open rules, then it's going to be (from a spectator point of view) big plus that you can still see au naturel petrol V12s... together with the "eco cars".