Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Aug 2010, 13:31 (Ref:2745216)   #1
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Bahrain to use GP course for 2011

Luckily, BIC authorities agreed that the endurance course was terrible for F1 races, so the 2011 Bahrain GP will be held in the GP course as usual.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 13:49 (Ref:2745219)   #2
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hehe, I like how they described the 2010 race:

Quote:
The use of the extended “endurance track” was part of the celebrations which marked the diamond jubilee of the oldest and most prestigious racing series. It provided a unique opportunity to see the participating teams and drivers of the 24 strong grid navigate several new challenges and turns, marking the 7th Formula 1™ Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix as one of the most spectacular races yet seen at the Sakhir track.
If that's their idea of spectacular, they'd be bowled over by some of the stuff we see at other circuits

Good news though.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 13:50 (Ref:2745221)   #3
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank the lord, that slower twisty bit was totally out of character compared to the rest of the track! Bahrain isn't brilliant but at least it'll be helped by giving the track one type of "flow" instead of sticking an odd bit in there...
Old 16 Aug 2010, 14:11 (Ref:2745233)   #4
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to hear. I actually quite like the Sakhir GP Circuit, it was a shame the new layout made the racing so much worse than normal! Good to hear the proper one is back for next year.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 15:07 (Ref:2745258)   #5
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank God.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 15:47 (Ref:2745275)   #6
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good.

I'm no fan of the circuit in the previous year's config either, but the new layout was terrible. Robbed the layout of two of its only really noteworthy corners.

I'm not one of the fans that seem to hate all new circuits - Turkey and Sepang in particular are pretty damn good. But Bahrain really isn't very good at all.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 16:05 (Ref:2745299)   #7
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
im probably all alone on this one but i loved the TV images provided from this new section. the combination of slow corners gave us some amazing closeup shots of the cars moving through them with the planks kicking up the dust from the track all with imo a really cool desert backdrop. add to that the 2nd race of the year and it was one of our first chances to look at the new cars up close and in motion...i loved it.

granted its got no history, no fanbase, no character, etc etc but it looks fantastic on TV and lets face it that is where most of us will do the majority of our F1 watching.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 16:12 (Ref:2745304)   #8
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
granted its got no history, no fanbase, no character, etc etc but it looks fantastic on TV and lets face it that is where most of us will do the majority of our F1 watching.
I agree that it gave us better TV shots of the cars. But we also got worse TV coverage of overtaking. Because there wasn't any. ><
Old 16 Aug 2010, 16:15 (Ref:2745306)   #9
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It makes it less unpalatable, although it's sad to see this race on the calendar when there are countries where you can hold a one car demo and be able to fill Bahrain (or Abu Dhabi for that matter) more than two and a half times that don't have races. But with The Midget the races go to whoever gives the highest sanctioning fees, not where there are fans to buy merchandise/be seen by the sponsors to be seeing the cars/buy tickets to watch the race.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 16:16 (Ref:2745308)   #10
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
im not really sure we would see any here regardless of the track layout.

obviously i would rather have a track that allows for good racing and overtaking (as much as it is the fault of the tracks) but failing that looking nice is not a terrible alternative.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 16:26 (Ref:2745313)   #11
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
But with The Midget the races go to whoever gives the highest sanctioning fees, not where there are fans to buy merchandise/be seen by the sponsors to be seeing the cars/buy tickets to watch the race.
well im not sure that BE has anything to do with this as he was not the one who designed the track. sure he probably sets out guidelines in terms of what company a host country should use (Tilke) to build the track but the uber rich oil barons could have used whomever they wanted to build the track and BE still would have accepted their money and put them on the calendar.

BE desire is to make money, which i agree can be a problem, but you make it out like he has an interest in promoting events that are boring, which to me sounds like a way to losing money not making it and thus not very BE like.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 17:10 (Ref:2745347)   #12
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think perhaps the point is that if the cheque does not have the prerequisite number of zeroes in it then the design of the track matters not. As long as there are copious zeroes, as we have seen at a number of the newer events, then in reality the track layout is irrelevant.

Other than as the official FIA track consultant, Tilke WILL have a say in the layout and architechture.

Frankly I would be happier to have a GP in a land where they have some form of motor racing culture. It (Bahrain) is to me one of the least exciting and more painful races of the year, high on the list that should be culled forthwith.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 17:14 (Ref:2745351)   #13
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It makes it less unpalatable, although it's sad to see this race on the calendar when there are countries where you can hold a one car demo and be able to fill Bahrain (or Abu Dhabi for that matter) more than two and a half times that don't have races. But with The Midget the races go to whoever gives the highest sanctioning fees, not where there are fans to buy merchandise/be seen by the sponsors to be seeing the cars/buy tickets to watch the race.
Do you think anyone in Poland has 300-500m to waste on a Formula one circuit? That is of course the problem with those countries that has the passion and the crowds. They dont have the dough to cough up on a world class circuit.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 18:39 (Ref:2745399)   #14
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Quote:
im not really sure we would see any here regardless of the track layout
Why not? We've had some pretty decent races there in years gone by. I don't think I would call any of them 'classics', but suitably enjoyable if not particularly memorable.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 20:48 (Ref:2745467)   #15
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I'd much rather them try this layout, for 2 reasons:

1) More overtaking
2) It'd atleast be a completely different track to any other and make it a little more unique

Selby
Old 16 Aug 2010, 20:59 (Ref:2745479)   #16
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post

1) More overtaking
2) It'd atleast be a completely different track to any other and make it a little more unique

Selby
That reminds me of the old Hockenheim . They'd need some trees for it to work!
Old 16 Aug 2010, 21:13 (Ref:2745497)   #17
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

1) More overtaking

Selby
Yeah, I was flicking through the different configurations they had, and that one I also thought particularly striking.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 22:05 (Ref:2745540)   #18
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
Do you think anyone in Poland has 300-500m to waste on a Formula one circuit? That is of course the problem with those countries that has the passion and the crowds. They dont have the dough to cough up on a world class circuit.
OK, Yas Marina cost in the region of €400M (about 500 million USD) to build, but how much of that was genuinely necessary to construct an FIA Grade 1 circuit? €160M-€230M (200-300 million USD) is the region that has been suggested for the Austin circuit. Bear in mind that it could be a case of upgrading an existing circuit (where the demo was, Poznań), and it may be cheaper to build a circuit in Poland. More money could also be recouped from things like ticket sales, for that matter. I used Poland as an example - this applies to a lot of places that have F1 fanbases. His Shortanic Majesty actually owns a circuit that only needs temporary stands (OK, lots of them) to bring back the French Grand Prix for pete's sake!

Quote:

1) More overtaking

Selby
I agree that the Outer Course looks like an attractive option for F1. My only concern is that it is just 3664m long, meaning it would be an 84 lap race, the longest race in terms of number of laps on the F1 calendar. Even so I don't think it negates the fact that there are countries where F1 should be but isn't, and countries where F1 is but has less reason to go to.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 22:18 (Ref:2745557)   #19
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTeK View Post
Thank the lord, that slower twisty bit was totally out of character compared to the rest of the track! Bahrain isn't brilliant but at least it'll be helped by giving the track one type of "flow" instead of sticking an odd bit in there...
Having tracks with "one type of "flow"" is one of the problems with overtaking, as everyone has the same set up and there is no opprtunity to overtake, exploiting the weaknesses in your opponents compromises.
Not that it worked here!
Old 17 Aug 2010, 02:32 (Ref:2745632)   #20
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
OK, Yas Marina cost in the region of €400M (about 500 million USD) to build, but how much of that was genuinely necessary to construct an FIA Grade 1 circuit? €160M-€230M (200-300 million USD) is the region that has been suggested for the Austin circuit. Bear in mind that it could be a case of upgrading an existing circuit (where the demo was, Poznań), and it may be cheaper to build a circuit in Poland. More money could also be recouped from things like ticket sales, for that matter. I used Poland as an example - this applies to a lot of places that have F1 fanbases. His Shortanic Majesty actually owns a circuit that only needs temporary stands (OK, lots of them) to bring back the French Grand Prix for pete's sake!

I agree that the Outer Course looks like an attractive option for F1. My only concern is that it is just 3664m long, meaning it would be an 84 lap race, the longest race in terms of number of laps on the F1 calendar. Even so I don't think it negates the fact that there are countries where F1 should be but isn't, and countries where F1 is but has less reason to go to.
Nothing wrong wth a short (2.27 mile) lap. 84 laps means the spectators who do turn u[p get to see more of the racing over the length of a race......

It would be quite fast as a track punctuated with some heavy braking areas.
It all shows that F1 is often treated by those who own it as a product on a supermarket shelf, along with the assumption that it is all based around around a winning 'formula' and that if you keep churning the same product out you will keep earning the same returns....

How wrong could they be....?
Old 17 Aug 2010, 13:56 (Ref:2745944)   #21
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I just think it'd pull it apart from the rest of the Tilkedromes and offer a unique challenge.

Selby
Old 18 Aug 2010, 00:58 (Ref:2746347)   #22
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
im probably all alone on this one but i loved the TV images provided from this new section. the combination of slow corners gave us some amazing closeup shots of the cars moving through them with the planks kicking up the dust from the track all with imo a really cool desert backdrop. add to that the 2nd race of the year and it was one of our first chances to look at the new cars up close and in motion...i loved it.

I agree with you.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.