Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jun 2015, 01:25 (Ref:3552576)   #1
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
EU Investigation into F1

Here we go!

http://www.pitpass.com/54018/EU-inve...begin-in-weeks
Old 21 Jun 2015, 01:43 (Ref:3552584)   #2
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I hope the EU raises hell in F1.
Old 21 Jun 2015, 05:15 (Ref:3552612)   #3
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I hope the EU raises hell in F1.
Seconded! First time I can actually say I look forward to a government institution getting involved in anything!
Old 21 Jun 2015, 07:25 (Ref:3552625)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
It's strange how more or less the exact same model of securing events with FIFA is used in F1, yet in F1 it's considered "the norm". The irony is so thick you could cut it with a block of Lego. Why is Fifa in trouble? Because countries / governments were paying vast sums of money in kickbacks to important board members. Is that so different to the way F1 events are secured? True, the F1 process is somewhat more transparent, however the fact remains that the host country or track pays a vast sum of money to Bernie in order to secure the event.

I was hoping that it would be something along these lines that the investigation was targeting, however it looks more like its an investigation into the distribution of prize funds, which I find somewhat less interesting and less important.
Old 21 Jun 2015, 09:14 (Ref:3552650)   #5
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I think that you are jumping the gun, somewhat.

The article is two weeks old, and only states that the EU could commence an investigation into F1 provided that they received an official complaint from, one assumes, a participant in the sport.

My own belief is that the teams are, to some extent, totally in the hands of BCE and so will not actually make that formal complaint, and therefore the threat will go away. There were the same mumblings in the paddock last year about Force India, I think it was, making a complaint, but it never happened and I doubt that it will this year either.

As for the position about the issue of FOM granting licences to various tracks to run a F1 event, in essence it is nothing more than an auction with the highest bidders winning the race slots. That is not against EU rules. However, if it was BCE offering bribes to the various countries for them to take the races, then that would be a different matter. The reality is that it would seem as though there are more venues trying to hold a GP than the teams are willing to race at, and BCE can't really be blamed for that!
Old 21 Jun 2015, 14:48 (Ref:3552723)   #6
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone seriously think BE will allow any complaint from any internal source within F1? I hope it goes ahead and I hope BE cops it in the neck but from the outside looking in the teams knew the deal and signed on the dotted line and BE has a point. Why anyone pays him anything to hold a race has always fascinated me, I thought promoters were supposed to foot the cost and wear the risk, that's the way it works in other pursuits like music etc.
Old 21 Jun 2015, 16:10 (Ref:3552733)   #7
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
---double post---
Old 21 Jun 2015, 16:11 (Ref:3552734)   #8
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
You don't need an internal whistler blower to trigger an investigation. The issue here and with FIFA is that they are both intertwined with the political establishments in Europe. It fell to the Americans - comparative outsiders - to go after FIFA and probably noone will bother to go after the FIA.
Old 21 Jun 2015, 17:58 (Ref:3552763)   #9
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
You don't need an internal whistler blower to trigger an investigation. The issue here and with FIFA is that they are both intertwined with the political establishments in Europe. It fell to the Americans - comparative outsiders - to go after FIFA and probably noone will bother to go after the FIA.
I believe that the type of investigation that is being talked about is one to look at an unfair market, where recipients are treated unequally by design, e.g. Ferrari is paid a huge amount for basically just turning up, whilst a team that might be 11th in Championship gets nothing and even has to pay for his own freight on fly-away races. Plus, perhaps more importantly, currently 6 teams are determining all the rules, both technical and sporting, whilst the other 4 teams have virtually no say whatsoever in the matter.

These inequalities do not directly affect the general public although we may, justifiably, be upset by them. However, they do affect the teams directly, so the complaint has to come from one of them. Although it could, in theory, originate from a whistle-blower, it needs to come from a team principal and as they rely on BCE to fund them, I think that that is highly unlikely.

The situation in F1 is completely different to that concerning FIFA and bribes. This is more to do with whether F1 is being run as a monopoly, and if FOM is abusing it's market position (the reason that FOM was split off from the FIA in the 1st place). The FIFA thing is basically about alleged bribes, alleged tax evasion and alleged money laundering.
Old 13 Nov 2015, 07:55 (Ref:3590092)   #10
wnut
Veteran

From this by Todt, it seems that the EU investigation will only concern itself with the division of the prize money.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/eu...fia-says-todt/

Todt is however saying that the FIA will carry on pushing for a cheaper engine.
Old 13 Nov 2015, 08:05 (Ref:3590093)   #11
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
"The FIFA thing is basically about alleged bribes, alleged tax evasion and alleged money laundering."

Which obviously BCE knows nothing about..
Old 13 Nov 2015, 09:12 (Ref:3590104)   #12
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
From this by Todt, it seems that the EU investigation will only concern itself with the division of the prize money.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/eu...fia-says-todt/

Todt is however saying that the FIA will carry on pushing for a cheaper engine.
I'm afraid that the article doesn't quote him saying that at all.

As far as I am aware, the actual complaint hasn't been been made public, but what is known is that the two teams hace complained about both the governance and the commercial rights structure are anti-competative. This would seem to be aimed at FOM, rather than the FIA. No doubt that in due course we shall find out more.

And of course, in answer to djinvicta, BCE knows nothing about bribes although he claims to know all about being blackmailed!
Old 14 Nov 2015, 02:00 (Ref:3590267)   #13
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I'm afraid that the article doesn't quote him saying that at all.

As far as I am aware, the actual complaint hasn't been been made public, but what is known is that the two teams hace complained about both the governance and the commercial rights structure are anti-competative. This would seem to be aimed at FOM, rather than the FIA. No doubt that in due course we shall find out more.

And of course, in answer to djinvicta, BCE knows nothing about bribes although he claims to know all about being blackmailed!
Really Mike, from the article:

Todt has become more pro-active in recent weeks …..expressing frustration that …cap on customer engine prices were blocked by Ferrari.
I have been trying with my people to see what could be an option. We don’t have any influence on revenues, it is a matter for the commercial rights holder, but we need to have an influence on the regulations.
“In this case, I only see the possibility of introducing the more affordable engine which will still allow the teams to be competitive.”
Old 14 Nov 2015, 07:34 (Ref:3590287)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It seems Mike's reference to the lack of quote isn't referring to the engine bit, it's about the scope of the investigation.

Todt doesn't say much about the scope and the actual details of the complaint and doesn't actually quote him saying that it is only about the prize money. That part is added by the writer. Mike does go on to speculate that it may well be more to do with FOM than FIA.
Old 14 Nov 2015, 10:11 (Ref:3590307)   #15
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
It seems Mike's reference to the lack of quote isn't referring to the engine bit, it's about the scope of the investigation.

Todt doesn't say much about the scope and the actual details of the complaint and doesn't actually quote him saying that it is only about the prize money. That part is added by the writer. Mike does go on to speculate that it may well be more to do with FOM than FIA.
Thank you Adam, that is exactly what I meant as it has seemed in the recent past that the FIA has apparently all but delegated it's regulatory powers to FOM and some of the teams, of course.
Old 15 Nov 2015, 13:16 (Ref:3590589)   #16
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Todt has become more pro-active in recent weeks …..expressing frustration that …cap on customer engine prices were blocked by Ferrari.
That's reassuring, given how pro-active he was for the good of the sport when he was boss at Ferrarri.

Oh...
Old 21 Feb 2016, 10:39 (Ref:3616458)   #17
wnut
Veteran

Has anyone seen if there has been any movement from the EU on this matter?
Old 21 Feb 2016, 22:31 (Ref:3616606)   #18
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Has anyone seen if there has been any movement from the EU on this matter?
What with the Ukraine confrontation, the Middle East refugee crisis and now Brexit I would suggest EU officials have been told to keep their heads bellow the parapet.
Old 22 Feb 2016, 06:20 (Ref:3616653)   #19
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
What with the Ukraine confrontation, the Middle East refugee crisis and now Brexit I would suggest EU officials have been told to keep their heads bellow the parapet.
Fair point Oldtony!
Old 29 Feb 2016, 13:40 (Ref:3618671)   #20
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It could give me some (little) hope if there is a sort of change - F1 must be different, more kind, more affordable, there are a vast of teams (Carlin, Dams, ART et al) that should be in F1 by merit, but aren't because they want to avoid a bankrupt, considering the "Piranha Club" levels that F1 has.
Old 29 Feb 2016, 13:42 (Ref:3618672)   #21
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
I'm Ukrainian, if you don't like the fact I'm Argentinian. Ukraine is the land of my grandparents.
I'm trying to not to fall in chauvinism and not to talk about the Falklands, despite I know that war disturbed a lot the presence of Argentine drivers in European scheme of motorsport since 1982, and evend change local Argentinian motorsport since then via the money from TV broadcasts (with Reutemann gone, slopped the interest in F1 then for casual people, but fortunately Argentina still has a lot of F1 fans). It was crucial to understand why Argentinian motorsport is in a nutshell of strong tin-top series.
Old 1 Mar 2016, 23:22 (Ref:3619140)   #22
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
I'm Ukrainian, if you don't like the fact I'm Argentinian. Ukraine is the land of my grandparents.
I'm trying to not to fall in chauvinism and not to talk about the Falklands, despite I know that war disturbed a lot the presence of Argentine drivers in European scheme of motorsport since 1982, and evend change local Argentinian motorsport since then via the money from TV broadcasts (with Reutemann gone, slopped the interest in F1 then for casual people, but fortunately Argentina still has a lot of F1 fans). It was crucial to understand why Argentinian motorsport is in a nutshell of strong tin-top series.
Mekola, I have no idea where you think you are going with this post.

OldTony was merely illustrating to me that the European Union had more pressing problems to deal with than those of the desiccated gnome and his circus! A good point I thought!
Old 2 Mar 2016, 09:49 (Ref:3619216)   #23
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mekola, might I humbly suggest that the Falklands conflict in 1982 has had no bearing on whether Argentine broadcasts F1 races. In fact I would go as far as to say that the conflict didn't and still doesn't stop any Argentinian driver from participating in F1. What stops them is a lack of money.

And may I suggest that the most likely reason that F1 is not shown on FTA in Argentina is that FOM has made it too expensive for any of your broadcasters to carry; the very same reason that it is slowly disappearing from FTA screens in Europe, including the UK.
Old 14 May 2016, 12:19 (Ref:3641570)   #24
wnut
Veteran

FWIW

In the hands of a whole new EU Govt Dept.

http://www.racer.com/latest-stories/...s-eu-complaint