Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Jun 2016, 15:00 (Ref:3646338)   #126
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Problem is that modern F1 cars are not adaptable to the conditions, sure some set up adjustments can be made, but they are not truly wet weather cars. Too much spray and too susceptible to aquaplaning. In my road car I have to drive in all conditions with the same tyres and same suspension set-up. But then I am a very good driver.
Signs of self confidence there Baub, almost to Lewis Hamilton levels
Old 1 Jun 2016, 16:41 (Ref:3646355)   #127
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Problem is that modern F1 cars are not adaptable to the conditions, sure some set up adjustments can be made, but they are not truly wet weather cars. Too much spray and too susceptible to aquaplaning. In my road car I have to drive in all conditions with the same tyres and same suspension set-up. But then I am a very good driver.
As though to support your theory (cannot comment on your own ability, mind) it reminds me that, many moons ago, Niki Lauda persuaded BCE to liberally spray the road inside the tunnel with copious amounts of water before the start of a streaming wet race, as inside the tunnel it was almost dry.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 18:05 (Ref:3646384)   #128
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Signs of self confidence there Baub, almost to Lewis Hamilton levels
Don't say that Viv, people will start hating me.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 18:26 (Ref:3646391)   #129
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Don't say that Viv, people will start hating me.
When did they actually stop?
Old 1 Jun 2016, 19:01 (Ref:3646404)   #130
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
When did they actually stop?
This from West Yorkshire's answer to Kvyat.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 19:03 (Ref:3646405)   #131
bauble
Veteran

England
Oh! This not a private forum, anyone can join in .............. as long as they take a crack at the other two blokes. Guess who?
Old 1 Jun 2016, 21:23 (Ref:3646432)   #132
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
If Lewis hadn't cut the track, what then?
If there was wall past the apex of that corner, he would have either hit that wall or gone down the escape road, spun the car around, and rejoined in 4th position behind Perez and Vettel.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 21:26 (Ref:3646434)   #133
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
If there was wall past the apex of that corner, he would have either hit that wall or gone down the escape road, spun the car around, and rejoined in 4th position behind Perez and Vettel.
That's pretty much what I was thinking. Obviously, the Stewards chose to Hamilton cutting the chicane, which is not good. There's got to be consistency.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 1 Jun 2016 at 21:34.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 22:19 (Ref:3646443)   #134
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't remember a penalty given when someone goes off track and retains a place, only when someone goes off and gains a place from it. Maybe there should be, but I don't see any inconsistency here.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 22:45 (Ref:3646447)   #135
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I don't remember a penalty given when someone goes off track and retains a place, only when someone goes off and gains a place from it. Maybe there should be, but I don't see any inconsistency here.
Drivers were warned about cutting chicanes at Yas Marina in 2011 and last year at Monza, plus a new rule was imposed in Montreal in 2015 because drivers were cutting the final chicane. Seems inconstant to me.
Old 2 Jun 2016, 02:51 (Ref:3646471)   #136
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I don't have a strong opinion because it seems like the concept of gaining an advantage via exceeding track limits only seems to come into play when a pass is made while leaving the track. And that typically results in a giving the position up. But I do think in general that it can result in an advantage even if not in the scenario I outline above. I don't know if this current example makes a good poster child for the problem, but braking so late that you can't make the next turn means that you are preventing the other guy from legitimately braking later than you (but still staying on the circuit) and maybe making a pass attempt.

I don't know what the right answer is. But I do think Hamilton's off course trip worked in his favor. But we will never know what might have been if he has braked early enough to not have gone off course.

Richard
Old 2 Jun 2016, 04:41 (Ref:3646477)   #137
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
F1 is consistently inconsistent.
Old 2 Jun 2016, 09:05 (Ref:3646512)   #138
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is a difference between "cutting the chicane" and putting all four wheels off the track by cutting the apex kerb. Within the current interpretation of the rules, there was no reason to penalise Hamilton. If he had truly cut the chicane and flown through there at speed, then yes.

I would like to see much more rigorous enforcement of track limits. It would be chaos for a couple of races, and then the drivers would learn to drive only on the black bits. There aren't too many problems enforcing track limits when the white line is replace by a bit of armco.
Old 2 Jun 2016, 15:21 (Ref:3646583)   #139
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Would bring back a bit of overtaking though if they let them use chicanes to straighten and overtake! Just raise the kerbs a bit round them..
Old 2 Jun 2016, 17:40 (Ref:3646618)   #140
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
They said that it was alright as long as Hamilton didn't continue to do it. So that's probably why
Old 2 Jun 2016, 17:51 (Ref:3646625)   #141
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
This is the footage of Hamilton cutting the chicane.

https://youtu.be/AxqmgQk0Oso