Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 23 Aug 2016, 07:00 (Ref:3667144)   #26
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've been watching racing since the early 80's and this was one of the most riveting races I've ever seen.

I'll admit that I'm not impartial because I think that Will Power is the most exciting Indycar driver that we have seen in decades and is largely responsible for my renewed interest in the series several years ago. Sometimes he pushes too hard, he makes mistakes, he's not a media darling like Hinchcliffe, Castroneves or Newgarden. He's almost a misfit but when the green flag drops his eyes fill with intensity and he goes for it in a way few drivers can match.

This race had everything. The young Russian earning his first pole position and leading most of the the race. The defending winner RHR crashing in practice, skipping qualifying, and then storming through the field in a backup car from last place to the front in practically no time at all. Just like the Indy 500, I feel this was Hunter Reay's race to lose and unfortunately for him that is what happened once again.

The bizarre pit incident that shows that even at 60mph these cars can go airborne and we held our breath before Helio climbed unscathed from his car when Indy 500 winner Alexander Rossi launched over his cockpit after legitimately contending for the lead early in the race.

Points leader Pagenaud crashes out. Second place Power comes from seemingly nowhere late in the race and runs away with the win.

If I were to show a racing virgin what racing was all about, I would show them this race. Indycar at its finest.
Old 23 Aug 2016, 15:08 (Ref:3667221)   #27
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
I've been watching racing since the early 80's and this was one of the most riveting races I've ever seen.

I'll admit that I'm not impartial because I think that Will Power is the most exciting Indycar driver that we have seen in decades and is largely responsible for my renewed interest in the series several years ago. Sometimes he pushes too hard, he makes mistakes, he's not a media darling like Hinchcliffe, Castroneves or Newgarden. He's almost a misfit but when the green flag drops his eyes fill with intensity and he goes for it in a way few drivers can match.

This race had everything. The young Russian earning his first pole position and leading most of the the race. The defending winner RHR crashing in practice, skipping qualifying, and then storming through the field in a backup car from last place to the front in practically no time at all. Just like the Indy 500, I feel this was Hunter Reay's race to lose and unfortunately for him that is what happened once again.

The bizarre pit incident that shows that even at 60mph these cars can go airborne and we held our breath before Helio climbed unscathed from his car when Indy 500 winner Alexander Rossi launched over his cockpit after legitimately contending for the lead early in the race.

Points leader Pagenaud crashes out. Second place Power comes from seemingly nowhere late in the race and runs away with the win.

If I were to show a racing virgin what racing was all about, I would show them this race. Indycar at its finest.
Excellent post.

Regarding the pit road accident, it looks Rossi's car road up over the wheels of Kimball's car, rather than actually getting airborne.

https://youtu.be/m8qw3OBhJSA
Old 24 Aug 2016, 00:31 (Ref:3667299)   #28
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I wasn't able to see this race, sounds like I should seek it out?
Old 24 Aug 2016, 01:31 (Ref:3667302)   #29
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Number4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
http://s546271843.onlinehome.us/16ic-13r/
Old 26 Aug 2016, 11:37 (Ref:3667660)   #30
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Yes. Took me three nights this week to get through all 500 miles but was worth it!
Old 26 Aug 2016, 13:02 (Ref:3667673)   #31
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As stated, I enjoyed that race tremendously. Pocono is absolutely my favorite speedway for Indycars. Speeds and drafting made that an absolute joy to watch.

Looked like the front wing of Rossi's car broke on Helio's helmet but holy smokes; that was scary and glad to see Helio escape unscathed. I blamed Rossi, then Kimbell, then Rossi and leaned more towards the rookie, but thought it was just a bad deal on green flag pitstops. Not the first time we've seen contact on pitroad this year and from vastly more experienced drivers than Rossi.

Good for Will and as stated, what a recent run he's had. Like him or not. Dude can wheel it.

Shame for Simon. And Taku. Oh Taku. He's probably still sore.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 13:04 (Ref:3667675)   #32
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:

I kept nudging the wife. "Are you watching this?" Beyond anything completely nuts like rallying, her eyes were wide open for this for a moment...then she went back to her normal routine.

Good stuff indeed and glad I wasn't the only one thinking these same things.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 14:39 (Ref:3667696)   #33
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Pocono was very entertaining. Hunter-Reay had an excessively outstanding performance.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 21:21 (Ref:3667744)   #34
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I kept nudging the wife. "Are you watching this?" Beyond anything completely nuts like rallying, her eyes were wide open for this for a moment...then she went back to her normal routine.

Good stuff indeed and glad I wasn't the only one thinking these same things.
Yeah a lot of pretty spectacular dive bomb passes going into the turns throughout the race too. I saved it on the dvr so I can rewatch it again hopefully soon.

Fortunately my wife likes Indycar (but not as much as F1) but unfortunately she's not really into endurance sportscar racing which is what I usually drag her to
Old 27 Aug 2016, 16:46 (Ref:3667868)   #35
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recognize this might be an unpopular view... but why do they keep letting Pippa Mann on the track? Three laps down at the end with no major mechanicals or other delays as far as I recall, and way off the pace. There were at least a few instances where she was dangerously in the way of the leaders.

Milka Duno (arguable a less capable open wheel driver than Mann, admittedly) was black flagged for being too slow (coded as "handling" on the box score) at least once in her career. Didn't IndyCar used to have some sort of "107% rule" at one time where drivers who weren't up to speed had to get off the track?

I have nothing against Mann personally - she has had a decent career and is a great ambassador for the sport, charity sponsors, and all - but she really needs to not be on any high speed ovals, IMHO. This is an accident waiting to happen at this point.
Old 27 Aug 2016, 16:51 (Ref:3667871)   #36
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
I recognize this might be an unpopular view... but why do they keep letting Pippa Mann on the track? Three laps down at the end with no major mechanicals or other delays as far as I recall, and way off the pace. There were at least a few instances where she was dangerously in the way of the leaders.

Milka Duno (arguable a less capable open wheel driver than Mann, admittedly) was black flagged for being too slow (coded as "handling" on the box score) at least once in her career. Didn't IndyCar used to have some sort of "107% rule" at one time where drivers who weren't up to speed had to get off the track?

I have nothing against Mann personally - she has had a decent career and is a great ambassador for the sport, charity sponsors, and all - but she really needs to not be on any high speed ovals, IMHO. This is an accident waiting to happen at this point.
I was surprised to see she was taking part. Not wanting to be cynical but maybe Dale Coyne needed the money?
Old 27 Aug 2016, 18:35 (Ref:3667891)   #37
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Pippa Mann is way more talented than Milka Duno. She finished the 2015 Fontana race on the lead lap, a feat that Duno never achieved.
Old 27 Aug 2016, 19:46 (Ref:3667903)   #38
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I agree with most of the things you say there.
The most annoying thing about Power (or surrounding him) is his wife.
I have zero interest in seeing her close-up or getting interviewed while there's a race going on.
Old 27 Aug 2016, 19:48 (Ref:3667905)   #39
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Pippa Mann is way more talented than Milka Duno. She finished the 2015 Fontana race on the lead lap, a feat that Duno never achieved.
Then again, even Milka Duno won a Grand-Am race (with Andy Wallace or Butch Leitzinger IIRC). Did Pippa ever win something?
Old 27 Aug 2016, 21:03 (Ref:3667914)   #40
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is wandering off into a Pippa vs. Milka discussion, which is not what I intended.

Agree that the reason Pippa was on track at Pocono must be related to $. But my question really was about when IndyCar is going to say "no". They've certainly applied a "too slow to race" ruling in the past (and I believe there was even an official regulation about this, although I confess I'm too lazy to go and look it up).

At what point does this become stupidly dangerous? Bad enough on a road or street course, but a high-speed oval?

I couldn't find any sensible stats (lap times or average speeds) for the race. Her qualification speed was well within 7% of the leader though (211.267 vs. 220.445 - http://www.imscdn.com/INDYCAR/Docume...ults-quals.pdf) so maybe I'm whining about nothing important.
Old 27 Aug 2016, 21:12 (Ref:3667915)   #41
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
This is wandering off into a Pippa vs. Milka discussion, which is not what I intended.

Agree that the reason Pippa was on track at Pocono must be related to $. But my question really was about when IndyCar is going to say "no". They've certainly applied a "too slow to race" ruling in the past (and I believe there was even an official regulation about this, although I confess I'm too lazy to go and look it up).

At what point does this become stupidly dangerous? Bad enough on a road or street course, but a high-speed oval?

I couldn't find any sensible stats (lap times or average speeds) for the race. Her qualification speed was well within 7% of the leader though (211.267 vs. 220.445 - http://www.imscdn.com/INDYCAR/Docume...ults-quals.pdf) so maybe I'm whining about nothing important.
You should find all the stats here: http://www.indycar.com/Stats
Old 28 Aug 2016, 00:17 (Ref:3667936)   #42
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
Neither did I.

Didn't they park Francesco Dracone (IIRC) in a not so distant past - or otherwise: kindly advise him not to show up anymore?
Old 28 Aug 2016, 12:36 (Ref:3668034)   #43
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
You should find all the stats here: http://www.indycar.com/Stats
Ah, thanks for that! I had no idea.

That said, none of the detailed session reports are loading (lap chart, etc.). So I can't tell what her pace was, other than the average speed from the box score. Available evidence suggests she's not as slow as I thought... but still three laps down with no obvious mechanical.

Maybe time for me to give up on this?
Old 28 Aug 2016, 12:40 (Ref:3668037)   #44
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Ah, thanks for that! I had no idea.

That said, none of the detailed session reports are loading (lap chart, etc.). So I can't tell what her pace was, other than the average speed from the box score. Available evidence suggests she's not as slow as I thought... but still three laps down with no obvious mechanical.

Maybe time for me to give up on this?
Neither did I. I don't find the IndyCar website the most intuitive to navigate, maybe it's me but there is loads of info once you find it.
Old 29 Aug 2016, 12:07 (Ref:3668378)   #45
10TENTHS
Veteran

10TENTHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Available evidence suggests she's not as slow as I thought... but still three laps down with no obvious mechanical.
Mann was within 105% during the race or she'd be black-flagged. Daly (her teammate) was 2 laps down, it's obvious the DCR cars are non-competitive on ovals right now.

No worse than some of the fillers that have been in AOW in the past (hello Arnd Meier) and not a rolling hazard like Duno. Did you say anything about Coletti at Texas last year, who was 9 laps down and entered the pits incorrectly twice?
Old 29 Aug 2016, 12:09 (Ref:3668379)   #46
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10TENTHS View Post
Mann was within 105% during the race or she'd be black-flagged. Daly (her teammate) was 2 laps down, it's obvious the DCR cars are non-competitive on ovals right now.

No worse than some of the fillers that have been in AOW in the past (hello Arnd Meier) and not a rolling hazard like Duno. Did you say anything about Coletti at Texas last year, who was 9 laps down and entered the pits incorrectly twice?
Nope, but that's another good example.

Someone mentioned Dracone earlier... was he the guy that kept getting in the way of the leaders? I remember someone racing Montoya pretty hard on one of the street circuits, might have been him.