Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who do you think the driver of the Grand Prix is?
Lewis Hamilton 6 12.77%
Max Verstappen 21 44.68%
Sebastian Vettel 5 10.64%
Daniel Ricciardo 0 0%
Kimi Räikkönen 1 2.13%
Carlos Sainz 5 10.64%
Fernando Alonso 5 10.64%
Valtteri Bottas 0 0%
Kevin Magnussen 1 2.13%
Sergio Pérez 0 0%
Esteban Ocon 0 0%
Nico Hulkenberg 0 0%
Jolyon Palmer 0 0%
Romain Grosjean 0 0%
Felipe Massa 0 0%
Marcus Ericsson 0 0%
Daniil Kvyat 0 0%
Stoffel Vandoorne 0 0%
Antonio Giovinazzi 1 2.13%
Lance Stroll 2 4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 Apr 2017, 20:30 (Ref:3725629)   #26
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
newlaprecord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Just one question, what evidence do you have to suggest the McLaren is an aero-dynamical masterpiece?
If you have watched F1 for a while, you would be able to tell that this Mclaren goes through corners like its on a railroad, no sliding, no fighting, just really perfect stability. Otherwise , if you havnt watched a lot of racing before, you can just listen to expert commentary on any of the main channels (Im not sure which one you watch) and it will be well-known to you quickly that the Apex-speed of the Mclarens is top-level, and that the car is generally considered to be one of the strongest chassis of the grid.

Alternatively you will be able to find many quotes claiming the same thing. Here is one i digged out for you: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...errari-802678/
Old 11 Apr 2017, 22:46 (Ref:3725645)   #27
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
From watching I don't see the McLaren being that perfect. I've also read it being questioned that it is so great.
Not suggesting its crap and it might be down to compromises due to the lack of power, but I'm not seeing it as railroad or perfect stability.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 05:48 (Ref:3725689)   #28
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlaprecord View Post
Alternatively you will be able to find many quotes claiming the same thing. Here is one i digged out for you: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...errari-802678/
That quote is from McLaren themselves, so they're hardly going to say that their chassis is not good are they! They even admit though that they don't have the best chassis. Boullier's comment says they feel they are in the top three - so basically joint third, behind Mercedes and Red Bull and level with Ferrari.
He says that they are lacking downforce, with a car that has made aerodynamic compromises - not an aerodynamic masterpiece as was claimed previously - so that is hardly going to make them as good through the corners as other cars.

I have found other comment(s) for you.
'Fernando Alonso and Stoffel Vandoorne were observed having a difficult time manhandling the MCL32 [...] Gary Anderson saying "this is not just a very good chassis being let down by the engine"
'Although encouraged by the early chassis impressions, Boullier did admit that the lack of mileage the team has had in testing - allied to having to run in low-power engine modes because of reliability concerns - meant it was not ideal to get a proper gauge on where it stood.'

Compared to other cars on the grid, the car has a slower approach speed to corners, meaning that it has less braking to do. As a result it will obviously be more stable into the corner and so better able to hit the apex and carry what little speed it has into the corner.
It might look on rails, but that is compared to the other cars. As Boullier has admitted, even they don't know exactly where there chassis is, so I am still confused as to where the evidence of it being an aerodynamic masterpiece has come from and not in-house bravado.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 06:20 (Ref:3725694)   #29
Neppatsrev Xam
Racer

Netherlands
Neppatsrev Xam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Carlos Sainz.
* Could stay with the Ferrari's for a very long time.
* Best of the rest
* The only one who made the correct tire choice. The others were lucky they got a semi-free (VSC) or free (SC) pitstop.

Verstappen sounded like Vettel version 2016 today.

if one driver was lucky it was Sainz, lucky to have no damage after he hit he wall after his spin.

Last edited by Neppatsrev Xam; 12 Apr 2017 at 06:39.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 06:33 (Ref:3725696)   #30
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Im sort of getting tired of this Alonso hype lately.
I once asked Stirling Moss about rating drivers when they did not have equal cars ( rather in the style of if Lewis was in a Sauber, and Ericsson in a Mercedes, how they would compare.) Stirling said it was easy to look good in a slower car, but difficult to do the same in the fastest car.

While not knocking Fernando, I do agree with the with the sentiment.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 07:23 (Ref:3725709)   #31
Neppatsrev Xam
Racer

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neppatsrev Xam View Post
if one driver was lucky it was Sainz, lucky to have no damage after he hit he wall after his spin.
just how lucky Sainz was

https://twitter.com/FiftyBuckss/stat...71878075138048
Old 12 Apr 2017, 09:48 (Ref:3725762)   #32
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yep, DOTR, I don't think so.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 10:01 (Ref:3725772)   #33
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I think so.

Sure Carlos benefited from a tyre gamble but he held his own against much faster cars for a lot of the race.

Verstappen did some moves and carved out a race but he was in a better car, ditto Vettel.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 10:22 (Ref:3725779)   #34
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yet you had no problem voting for Max Verstappen in Brazil last year, when he also lost the car and was lucky not to put it in the barriers?
Old 12 Apr 2017, 11:27 (Ref:3725809)   #35
Neppatsrev Xam
Racer

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Yet you had no problem voting for Max Verstappen in Brazil last year, when he also lost the car and was lucky not to put it in the barriers?
that was skill, not luck
Old 12 Apr 2017, 11:43 (Ref:3725815)   #36
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
that was skill, not luck
There's always elements of luck involved. Instinct and experience obviously helps however.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 12 Apr 2017, 12:16 (Ref:3725830)   #37
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've voted for Alonso because during the race he was thinking about Indy.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 13:17 (Ref:3725844)   #38
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlaprecord View Post
this Mclaren goes through corners like its on a railroad, no sliding, no fighting, just really perfect stability.
Surely that is exactly what is required for Monaco - yet Alonso has decided that is the one race this season he doesn't want to be sat in the car?
Old 12 Apr 2017, 18:59 (Ref:3725938)   #39
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
😂
Old 13 Apr 2017, 00:46 (Ref:3726004)   #40
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Brilliant, and very true ...
Old 13 Apr 2017, 01:56 (Ref:3726013)   #41
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Left turn, left turn. That's NASCAR,
Old 13 Apr 2017, 16:56 (Ref:3726147)   #42
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Max gets my vote this time