Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Aug 2010, 08:58 (Ref:2738019)   #26
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by St00ge View Post
What are you going to do about it?? Make everyone where a orange vest and have the wheel men sign a release form stating the wheel is done up to the correct torque and then verified by a manager before the car can go out again, it is a bloody pit lane during a race sh!t can and will always happen
The solution is simple and obvious to even the meanest *********.

Just remove pit stops from any part in F1. It's been done for re-fuelling, now specify tyres which go the distance.

Regards

Jim
Old 2 Aug 2010, 09:04 (Ref:2738024)   #27
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
er, want happen if the rain comes during a race with out pit stops
Old 2 Aug 2010, 09:05 (Ref:2738025)   #28
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
The solution is simple and obvious to even the meanest *********.

Just remove pit stops from any part in F1. It's been done for re-fuelling, now specify tyres which go the distance.

Regards

Jim
Over to you, Pirelli!
Old 2 Aug 2010, 09:24 (Ref:2738035)   #29
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by skells22 View Post
er, what happen if the rain comes during a race with out pit stops
Sorry for the short answer; I was going for the concept, not the detail.

Of course allow changes to/from a "wet"tyre. Allow changes to (back to) a "dry" tyre also. But they would be the same dry tyre.

Use five studs and only allow a spider to be used to change them if you want. ()

Whatever you do in the detail, kill off the concept of the pit stop playing a part in the strategy of winning a race.

Regards

Jim
Old 2 Aug 2010, 09:43 (Ref:2738047)   #30
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skells22 View Post
er, want happen if the rain comes during a race with out pit stops
All sorts of fun.
Old 2 Aug 2010, 09:54 (Ref:2738060)   #31
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
When it rains there tends to be a period where some drivers stay out and others come in to change tyres, same applies when it stops raining. Safety cars are usually a 'no-brainer' for most drivers to come in and change tyres altogether on the same lap.
Old 2 Aug 2010, 11:47 (Ref:2738120)   #32
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I think some teams were using a mix of CO2 and nitrogen in the tyres in 2008 when traction control was banned.
The use of CO2 was amongst the details accidentally revealed by the FIA during the spygate affair but of course CO2 is heavier than both air and Nitrogen so DC is still wrong, an inflated tyre is heavier not lighter and the harder you pump it up the heavier it gets!

Of course the whole thing is academic anyway as the difference is a fraction of 1% of the weight of the tyre so I'll stop posting about it now.
Old 2 Aug 2010, 12:10 (Ref:2738133)   #33
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I'll too add my weight to the arguement that the pitlane should be closed during safety car periods, with the added rider that anyone forced to pit during this time (force majeure? to repair damage) can do do but must incurr an additional time penalty.
The old 'excuse' for allowing cars into the pitlane during this time was that they may need to re-fuel, well this is no longer a necessity...
Old 3 Aug 2010, 05:23 (Ref:2738576)   #34
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I wonder if DC thinks birds flying inside a lorry's trailer will make it lighter for the scales?
Old 3 Aug 2010, 10:09 (Ref:2738663)   #35
Racer

6157 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't it about time F1 pit lanes expand to have a stall for each car?

Stacking cars for pit stops in the world's top racing series seems a bit beyond ridiculous.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 10:41 (Ref:2738672)   #36
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
I wonder if DC thinks birds flying inside a lorry's trailer will make it lighter for the scales?
I used to drive trucks that were refrigerated by using Liquid Nitrogen (not a good idea to walk into the trailers until after you'd waited a few seconds for outside air to get in!). Suffice to say that a trailer full of Nitrogen gas wasn't any lighter than one that was empty of Nitrogen gas.

The main thing with Nitrogen is that it's an inert gas and is more likely to keep a steady pressure inside a tyre in comparison to just normal air. But 'you' already knew that didn't you.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 19:27 (Ref:2738943)   #37
alc
Rookie

alc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6157 View Post

Stacking cars for pit stops in the world's top racing series seems a bit beyond ridiculous.
If we had only one car per constructor with a two driver team, we would solve both the stacking problem and the team orders problem at one stroke .
Old 4 Aug 2010, 09:10 (Ref:2739263)   #38
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I'll too add my weight to the arguement that the pitlane should be closed during safety car periods, with the added rider that anyone forced to pit during this time (force majeure? to repair damage) can do do but must incurr an additional time penalty.
The old 'excuse' for allowing cars into the pitlane during this time was that they may need to re-fuel, well this is no longer a necessity...
I have my doubts whether this is a solution. The neutralisation is usually an outspoken opportunity to change tyres. As soon as the pit lane gets open after a neutralisation, it may well be that most of the drivers will do their mandatory tyre change right after the neutralisation.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 09:23 (Ref:2739270)   #39
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
WRT to tyre gases

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 F1 technical regulations
12.7 Tyre Gases :
12.7.1 Tyres may only be inflated with air or nitrogen.
12.7.2 Any process the intent of which is to reduce the amount of moisture in the tyre and/or in it’s inflation gas is forbidden.
Grammatical error in bold.

So it's nitrogen in those tyres. I don't think DC was getting at the gas having some kind of negative mass, but referring to the fact that nitrogen and rubber is lighter than more wheel (what you get with sportscar style low profile boots).

I'm unsure about closing the pitlane during SC deployments, but it would certainly make sense to do the NASCAR thing of not opening the pit lane until the cars are formed up (unless of course a car has clearly punctured tyres).
Old 4 Aug 2010, 12:23 (Ref:2739349)   #40
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
I'm unsure about closing the pitlane during SC deployments, but it would certainly make sense to do the NASCAR thing of not opening the pit lane until the cars are formed up (unless of course a car has clearly punctured tyres).
That still doesn't solve the issue of cars coming into the pits interfering with cars leaving. The only way to solve that would be separate entry and exit roads - with the cars driving into the garage (would need to be on an angle) and exiting through the back.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 12:46 (Ref:2739356)   #41
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
WRT to tyre gases

Grammatical error in bold.

So it's nitrogen in those tyres. I don't think DC was getting at the gas having some kind of negative mass, but referring to the fact that nitrogen and rubber is lighter than more wheel (what you get with sportscar style low profile boots).

I thought I was the only one tormented by the it's of this world!
Whoever wrote rule 12.7.3 ensured 100% illegality of the whole grid, the gas suppliers spend considerable effort to get all the water vapour out of the Nitrogen. The exclusion of water vapour is most of the point of using Nitrogen in the first place.
Nice little earner for the FIA, or maybe just a championship random penalty adjuster.

P.S. The rim bit I think is actually lighter than the same amount of tyre in an F1 rim.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 19:52 (Ref:2739514)   #42
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6157 View Post

Then bernie will require a $10 million redevelopment of the pit areas of all the GP circuits to accommodate the new racing formats....

Its a strategy call. What would have happened if each team in Hungary had left a driver out on the circuit to do what Webber did....
Old 4 Aug 2010, 20:00 (Ref:2739521)   #43
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I thought I was the only one tormented by the it's of this world!
Whoever wrote rule 12.7.3 ensured 100% illegality of the whole grid, the gas suppliers spend considerable effort to get all the water vapour out of the Nitrogen. The exclusion of water vapour is most of the point of using Nitrogen in the first place.
Nice little earner for the FIA, or maybe just a championship random penalty adjuster.
I think the rule is written in a way so it's to only be enforced if someone resorts to blatant monkey business.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 20:30 (Ref:2739534)   #44
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
WRT to tyre gases
I don't think DC was getting at the gas having some kind of negative mass,
I hope he was, he'll have solved half the world's energy problems if he did!

for the pedants, a gas can be lighter than air - like helium - but it can't have "negative mass".

The principal reason for using Nitrogen is because it's inert - therefore it doesn't chemically degrade the structure of the tyre.
Old 5 Aug 2010, 05:37 (Ref:2739656)   #45
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I hope he was, he'll have solved half the world's energy problems if he did!

for the pedants, a gas can be lighter than air - like helium - but it can't have "negative mass".

The principal reason for using Nitrogen is because it's inert - therefore it doesn't chemically degrade the structure of the tyre.
You could be right but I suspect the main reason is that water vapour in the tyre plays havoc with tyre pressures and the rules effectively forbid using dry air while allowing the use of dry Nitrogen, simply because that's all you can get. If the teams were allowed to dry the air they'd probably drop the Nitrogen and use compressed air, saving money.

After all the tyres are exposed to air for weeks or months in storage, do they really suddenly react with the air when they are put on the rim, even given the higher pressure and temperature.
Old 5 Aug 2010, 07:25 (Ref:2739682)   #46
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I would have thought that it was more to prevent teams from using the vacuum evacuation systems that used to be used.
Old 5 Aug 2010, 08:32 (Ref:2739702)   #47
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I'm not sure that's strictly correct. Two reasons that I can see - less water vapour, and less expansion as the tyre warms up. (I think it has a lower coefficient of thermal expansion). Both reasons are to reduce tyre pressure changes as the temperature changes.

The tyres are inflated for such a short amount of time the I would have thought any chemical degradation would be irrelevant.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 5 Aug 2010, 11:02 (Ref:2739755)   #48
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Banning pitstops durig the safety car would only have a partial effect. Most cars would probably pit as soon as the pitlane is opened, whether this be once the line is formed or once the race goes green. It might be feasible for new tracks to have enough space to service both cars at once, but that would mean teams either using half their crew on each car, or bringing twice as many mechanics in an era of cost-cutting. Existing tracks would require the pitlane buildings to be extended and the extension of the pitlane (and perhaps changes to the first and last corners of the lap) which seems impractical for such a small benefit.

The biggest solution (and I know I've made this point before) is to cut the level of safety car use - it should only be as common as red flags were before its introduction, as there's no way marhsals can't do at least as much under waved yellows as they could 20 years ago, considering improvements in technology and training in that time. A fair few accidetns can be attributed to the safety car itself.
Old 5 Aug 2010, 12:46 (Ref:2739803)   #49
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide View Post
The biggest solution (and I know I've made this point before) is to cut the level of safety car use - it should only be as common as red flags were before its introduction, as there's no way marhsals can't do at least as much under waved yellows as they could 20 years ago, considering improvements in technology and training in that time. A fair few accidetns can be attributed to the safety car itself.

A long discussed problem that one. If the drivers were to obey the yellow flags more, and to drop their speed more when observing them (not just 1 or 2 tenths over a 3 minute lap) then yes, more yellow, less safety car. But because the drivers dont drop their speed more, then more flags are used, which they then just ignore, meaning a safety car is required.

Other options are a 'reduced speed flag' - see Zandvoort for details, where it is used quite successfully - in combination with the yellows for an incident. Greater difference defined on the lap times under a full-course caution [FCC] (maybe as much as a 50% increase on your last green lap time under a FCC, rather than just a few 10ths) might also work here.
Old 5 Aug 2010, 14:05 (Ref:2739844)   #50
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Or just use a speed limiter activated by GPS for the yellow flag sections of the track.