Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Aug 2010, 08:10 (Ref:2740835)   #1
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hung GP - Webber fastest laps while short shifting ?

re-watching the Hungarian GP and noted something that seems interesting at a geeky level.

If you have the GP recorded, watch from about lap 27 onwards.

Earlier on in the race both Webber and Vettel's in car camera shows the drivers shifting on the light blue gear change lights,

Vettel gets a drive view and Webber is pushing hard to get the lead after the pitstops. The in car camera on Webber shows the shift lights going green->red->shift, before the blue light even comes on, it's also shown again on lap 35, on all these occasions he's seen setting the fastest lap. It looks to me like he's ever so slightly short shifting.

I thought it could be the lighting angle, but the red/green lights are too clear for that, so either his dash lights failed, or he's ever so slightly short shifting and getting fastest laps.

Vettels onboard still shows green->red->blue->shift
Old 7 Aug 2010, 10:28 (Ref:2740880)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The maximum torque of an engine isnt necessarily at the redline of course...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 7 Aug 2010, 10:36 (Ref:2740883)   #3
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
could be that - but it's always faster to change gear just before hitting the limiter, which halts acceleration as it is achieved by dropping sparks and/or a fuel cut which obviously involves a cut in power. When the driver is relaxed and in the groove this is far easier to achieve than when under pressure.

Last edited by phoenix; 7 Aug 2010 at 10:41.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 13:01 (Ref:2740921)   #4
RaceDataSystems
Rookie

RaceDataSystems should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The shift lights are probably configured differently, drivers prefer different ways of displaying information.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 13:22 (Ref:2740931)   #5
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Could just be he was needing to save a bit of fuel and was just driving mega laps, but it is strange he would set fastest laps whilst short shifting.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 14:42 (Ref:2740962)   #6
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Yes, but the maximum power is more likely to be at higher revs and you will accelerate faster for a given speed in a lower gear closer to the max power.

Of course we have no idea what revs the lights are set to in relation to max power and revs, or if the engine was needing to be reved less for engine life or fuel savings.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 23:40 (Ref:2741204)   #7
pannenmann
Racer

Germany
Bavaria
pannenmann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why is the highest rev value in blue anyways in all cars I can remember? I noticed this earlier on, usually it would make more sense to finish with red.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 23:51 (Ref:2741205)   #8
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think its down to drive preference really but i seem to remember Anthony Davidson mentioning once that it was because blue was the most noticeable colour thats why emergency services use blue lights.
Old 8 Aug 2010, 00:56 (Ref:2741213)   #9
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Blue is also easily distinguished by most colorblind people, since the most common color-blindness is red/green confusion due to low sensitivity.
Old 8 Aug 2010, 01:31 (Ref:2741220)   #10
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting observation. How much do they rely on the display anyway? Also, can't they controll the rev limiter (up to 18K, of course)? I wonder if the different light might mean a different engine setting. I didn't notice it myself, but I've seen in the past they usually shift on red. But, I've occationally seen the blue. Maybe blue is actually a late shift...

They might be trying to save the engines even the slightest bit considering their past reliability issues. Even when Webber was trying to build the gap he was on the softs and concerned with tire wear. Short shifting would also save the tires somewhat. Being a lot quicker he might sacrifice a tenth a lap for extra laps on the soft tires.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 09:07 (Ref:2741769)   #11
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
If this is the case then it would indicate the gear ratios and shift points are wrong on the Red Bull - seems highly unlikely!
If it is the case and Red Bull pick up on it, they will be massively faster.

The Americans had a saying- "Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races."
Old 9 Aug 2010, 10:19 (Ref:2741804)   #12
darcym
Veteran

the colour blue in this discussion actually means, nothing, both the Redbulls have the same shift light patterns (incidentally so do McLaren/Ferrari/Force India)

Earlier in the race (and other races, I had a quick look as I was interested) Webber can be seen shifting on "blue" which is the final stage of the shift lights, throughout the race vettel can be seen shifting on blue, which suggests to me (as earlier other mentioned) Webber is doing this manually as a consious effort.

Impressive to think he is setting fastest laps while short shifting.
Old 10 Aug 2010, 09:02 (Ref:2742347)   #13
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Blue is also easily distinguished by most colorblind people, since the most common color-blindness is red/green confusion due to low sensitivity.
Absolutely, I have that trouble with electronic items where the display changes colour when, for example, the battery is fully charged.
Old 10 Aug 2010, 19:54 (Ref:2742646)   #14
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was also in the fastest car on the track in clear air with an ever decreasing fuel load. Even a bit of short shifting wasn't going to slow him down to anywhere near the next fastest man, it's not surprising he was getting fastest laps at this stage, surely?
Old 10 Aug 2010, 23:41 (Ref:2742821)   #15
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post
He was also in the fastest car on the track in clear air with an ever decreasing fuel load. Even a bit of short shifting wasn't going to slow him down to anywhere near the next fastest man, it's not surprising he was getting fastest laps at this stage, surely?
Good point.

All shift light patterns mentioned above the same because McLaren supplies those teams with the steering wheels and electronics as a standard package. Spec may we suggest!
Old 11 Aug 2010, 00:04 (Ref:2742825)   #16
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post
Actually the next fastest man was not the person behind him in the race order but the person behind the person behind Webber.... and it was that person who set the fastest lap.
One could possibly surmise that the person in third may easily have been faster than Webber had he been able to get around the person behind Webber.
But this he was unable to do.
So the fastest person did not win and in fact it is possible the fastest person could not even race at the pace he was capable of, which of course begs the question.... The prize in a race (a contest of speed) should surely go to the fastest person.
In F1, because of some inherent deign regualtions, the fastest person is often unable to race at his quickest pace.... so is F1 actually motor racing at all?
Old 11 Aug 2010, 00:04 (Ref:2742826)   #17
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They are not the same because they are supplied by McLaren. They are totally configurable and every driver has his preference. The reason why two drivers have the same configuration is simply because their preferences is the same
Old 11 Aug 2010, 03:01 (Ref:2742853)   #18
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm pretty sure the steering wheels are *not* provided by mclaren, its only the ECU?

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 03:08 (Ref:2742854)   #19
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan View Post
I'm pretty sure the steering wheels are *not* provided by mclaren, its only the ECU?
I would agree with Rotor...after all, aren't RBR's completely different to everyone elses? ie, shift lights on the "dashboard," a butterfly shaped one similar to drag racing?
Old 11 Aug 2010, 05:49 (Ref:2742876)   #20
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Actually the next fastest man was not the person behind him in the race order but the person behind the person behind Webber.... and it was that person who set the fastest lap.
One could possibly surmise that the person in third may easily have been faster than Webber had he been able to get around the person behind Webber.
So the fastest person did not win and in fact it is possible the fastest person could not even race at the pace he was capable of, which of course begs the question.... The prize in a race (a contest of speed) should surely go to the fastest person.
In F1, because of some inherent deign regualtions, the fastest person is often unable to race at his quickest pace.... so is F1 actually motor racing at all?
The winner is the person who covers the distance from lights to flag in the shortest possible time, ie the one with the fastest average speed. That other thing where you just have to be fastest for seven seconds, that's drag racing.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 06:04 (Ref:2742878)   #21
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chef

Quote:
If Sebastian Vettel whines in a Forrest & no there is no one there to hear him does anyone care at all ??
Old 11 Aug 2010, 07:20 (Ref:2742903)   #22
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The prize in a race (a contest of speed) should surely go to the fastest person.
The prize in a race should go to the person that finishes first, not the one that drops back from the battle for 2nd place to bang out a fastest lap purely to boost his own childish ego.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 11:03 (Ref:2742992)   #23
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The prize in a race (a contest of speed) should surely go to the fastest person.
Webber was fastest. He did the race in 1 hour 41 minutes 5.571 seconds. Everyone else was slower.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 11:37 (Ref:2743001)   #24
darcym
Veteran

I think it's fair to say this topic has deviated from the discussion I intended.....
Old 11 Aug 2010, 15:49 (Ref:2743093)   #25
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Don't they always?