Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Aug 2010, 13:57 (Ref:2744524)   #1
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
The infamous Abbey bump

Quote:
"The team had expected average speeds of the new circuit to be higher than the old one. But when the big weekend came Sebastian Vettel’s fastest lap was 0.4kph slower than the best from 2009.

This was put down to the track being bumpier than expected on both the new and old sections. If the bumps are eased before next year’s race – which is expected to happen – lap times in 2011 could be a lot quicker."
This is an exert from an interview with Drew MacDonald, one of the chief designers of the new Silverstone section.

Sad news

Selby
Old 14 Aug 2010, 14:09 (Ref:2744526)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Boo! Bumps are good. Don't put them in on purpose, but when they are there it adds to the challenge.

I mourn the loss of the Daytona bumps, although they had perhaps got too bad. Still the track will grow back to having them...
Old 14 Aug 2010, 14:22 (Ref:2744534)   #3
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Boo! Bumps are good. Don't put them in on purpose, but when they are there it adds to the challenge.

I mourn the loss of the Daytona bumps, although they had perhaps got too bad. Still the track will grow back to having them...
Don't tell the drivers there aren't any bumps at Daytona nowadays. I know someone who raced in the 24 hours there this year and he said that not only do you have to hang on for dear life around the banking, but they actually mould finger grips into the steering wheel so the thing isn't wrenched out of of your hands!
Old 14 Aug 2010, 15:42 (Ref:2744551)   #4
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are no bumps at Daytona now the track is being resurfaced at the moment. Bumps are good and it didnt seem to cause the teams too much trouble during the race at Silverstone, many of the problems seemed to happen during practice. Teams want fans to be entertained but the teams seem intent on dulling down the sport :S. Also expect the bump in the new section at Bahrain to be smoothed out.
Old 14 Aug 2010, 15:58 (Ref:2744552)   #5
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
That's a shame about the bumps at Daytona. They were part of the challenge.

The bump at Abbey was interesting. Quite a few drivers were caught out by it in practice, but then they modified their lines and there was no more trouble.

I think the Silverstone circuit designers are miffed because they said the new Arena GP circuit was going to be faster than the old Bridge GP circuit and it wasn't.

British F3 is racing on the Bridge circuit this weekend, having been amongst the first to race on the Arena circuit earlier in the season. I shall be really interested to hear how the drivers think they compare.

Sorry for going off-topic, but it's vaguely relevant.
Old 14 Aug 2010, 16:21 (Ref:2744557)   #6
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bumps aren't good... I've dreadful back problems from 28 years of karting and single seater racing on bumpy tracks. Lots of ex-F1 drivers who've gone on to endurance racing are suffering too. Don't think any of us want to see people suffer like that.
Old 14 Aug 2010, 16:22 (Ref:2744558)   #7
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
No, you're right, it is relevant.

The bump seems mainly to blame as far as beating the previous average lap time goes.

I just think it's disappointing that whenever there's a small issue, it must be smoothed over for the teams. Tux is spot on.

Selby
Old 14 Aug 2010, 22:51 (Ref:2744646)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Bumps aren't good... I've dreadful back problems from 28 years of karting and single seater racing on bumpy tracks. Lots of ex-F1 drivers who've gone on to endurance racing are suffering too. Don't think any of us want to see people suffer like that.
Tell you what, I'll swap jobs with them then. Poor little lambs.
Old 15 Aug 2010, 00:11 (Ref:2744655)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I like the annoying challenge of the bump in my racing.
Old 15 Aug 2010, 00:47 (Ref:2744665)   #10
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
So difficult to program bumps into the simulators - oh the expense!

Can't predict the effects and if it is the same size, how can we expect a driver to tell us how to set up a car!

Last edited by wnut; 15 Aug 2010 at 01:01.
Old 15 Aug 2010, 05:16 (Ref:2744679)   #11
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I like the annoying challenge of the bump in my racing.
I only occasionally get to drive in a track environment but I totally agree. Although bumps should be relatively few they are an important part of the character of a circuit and a challenge for drivers and engineers, they force compromises in setup and make for more variation in car performance around the track on race day.
Old 15 Aug 2010, 06:17 (Ref:2744695)   #12
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this also coming from the fact that it is also used by the two big motorcycle world championships as well?

I haven't spent much time in cars on race tracks but from my experience with motorcycles, I wouldn't say that bumps are an enjoyable challenge on a motorcycle at a track.
Old 15 Aug 2010, 08:21 (Ref:2744707)   #13
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Tell you what, I'll swap jobs with them then. Poor little lambs.
Get your cheque book out and do it !
Old 15 Aug 2010, 08:45 (Ref:2744711)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can't be so bad if they pay to be punished.

Honestly, if it is so hard on them they can come and shift 16000 kg a day at my warehouse and I will gladly stand in for them. I would, of course, be killed but...
Old 15 Aug 2010, 09:10 (Ref:2744717)   #15
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope they keep the starting line between Woodcote and Copse. Moving it towards the new pits between Club and Abbey would only make the race a procession after all cars had to squeeze through the Arrowhead of Turn 3 and 4.

As a spectator, I didn't mind the bump, but I can understand why they want to remove it.
Old 15 Aug 2010, 14:41 (Ref:2744786)   #16
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Can't be so bad if they pay to be punished.

Honestly, if it is so hard on them they can come and shift 16000 kg a day at my warehouse and I will gladly stand in for them. I would, of course, be killed but...
Open your wallet and get out there. When the flag drops, the bull**** stops.
Old 15 Aug 2010, 22:18 (Ref:2744959)   #17
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Open your wallet and get out there. When the flag drops, the bull**** stops.
You clearly have not been following the stewards decisions!
Old 16 Aug 2010, 04:45 (Ref:2745028)   #18
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there any reason why the start/finish line can't remain where it is, even when the new pits open?

Then they could charge premium for tickets opposite the pits in addition to the start/finish line.

I guess it would be too far for the glitterati to walk after the gridwalk.

Then Schumacher wouldn't be able to finish the race in the Silverstone pitlane anymore

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 05:28 (Ref:2745032)   #19
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
They need to have the Start next to the pits so that the support crews can clear the grid and pit area during the formation lap, if it was around the next corner they would struggle to do so.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 08:11 (Ref:2745070)   #20
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what i had heard at this years, they'll probably be using both sets of pits and both startlines.

With the old pits/startline for support races with the new pits/startline for the GP.