Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Feb 2015, 22:06 (Ref:3502525)   #1
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Max Verstappen should NOT race in F1 for 2015

... unless he has 18 years old.

FIA is incoherent with the matter to give a F1 debut for a teenager, too young in order for the same FIA 2016 standards. It's an oxymoron in case to avail that.

Better give the seat to Jean-Eric Vergne, Sébastien Buemi or any other RBR driver with experience and more matureness in the seat.

This madness must stop.
Old 7 Feb 2015, 22:26 (Ref:3502536)   #2
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Some people are mature at age 17, some not before their late 20s and some will never be.

He got his super license in October. The new age rules are introduced in 2016 so I don't see the problem.

Last edited by FIRE; 7 Feb 2015 at 22:33.
Old 7 Feb 2015, 22:34 (Ref:3502540)   #3
F1 lobby
Rookie

Netherlands
F1 lobby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
This madness must stop.
This madness what you're spilling out must stop right now.
For all those haters who are just jaleous he'll proof you all soo wrong. That lucky dutch guy has got already one record before he even started his first race and the next one will be at least one podium if not a win in his debut year as youngest f1 driver ever
Old 8 Feb 2015, 02:03 (Ref:3502624)   #4
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
FIA shouldn't ban a driver in February.

I think that F1 drivers should be at least 20 years old, and have two years of experience above F3.
Old 8 Feb 2015, 08:41 (Ref:3502784)   #5
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is not jealousy, is the manic reduction of age that worries me. Even if it were an Argentinean driver I won't agree that could race at age 17 in F1.
Old 8 Feb 2015, 08:44 (Ref:3502787)   #6
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
F1 must have considered the result of allowing Max to race but i still think that if there is an accident involving Max and either he or another driver are hurt it will give some parties a very big stick with which to beat F1
Old 8 Feb 2015, 09:04 (Ref:3502797)   #7
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see how you can say with such authority that it's madness. Austin Cindric is sixteen and matched or out-drove many seasoned pros at the Bathurst 12 hour this weekend. Let's see what happens.
Old 8 Feb 2015, 09:05 (Ref:3502799)   #8
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have no doubts that Max Verstappen is ready for F1. He has done several free practice sessionswithout embarassing himself. At the very least he is far more ready than many older drivers who were allowed to run in F1 in the past. Does anyone honestly believe that Yuji Ide, Alex Yoong, Jean-Denis Deletraz or Giovanni Lavaggi were more ready for it? Why should Max Verstappen not race, when aging paydrivers with far less junior series credentials were allowed to do so?

I'm not convinced that it was a smart decision by Verstappen. Look at Alguersuari, who also joined F1 at a very young age, and then was dropped by Toro Rosso at an age were most young drivers are still in GP2. But his decision is understandable. Today, there are less and less F1 seats available, while the average career has become longer. It is more difficult to get into F1 than ever before, and I don't think you can blame him for taking this opportunity.

Also, I think it's weird how people are more worried about the impact on F1's reputation than about Max Verstappen himself.
Old 8 Feb 2015, 09:20 (Ref:3502807)   #9
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
If he is good enough; and I believe he is; he should be in F1, and no artificial rules should keep him out!

If F1 has been dumbed down to the point where it feels embarrassed by a young driver achieving success, it has clearly been dumbed down to the point where its champion should not be titled the WDC!

Again look at the whining when Marc Marquez was allowed into MotoGP, how did that go?
Old 8 Feb 2015, 09:36 (Ref:3502811)   #10
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My view is that if a 17/18 year old can drive a Formula 1 car then there is something wrong with Formula 1. It should take many years experience to get to the level required to handle a proper F1 car because they should be difficult and, yes, even dangerous to drive. It would appear that a quick season in karting and; Bang! You are a Grand Prix driver.

I am quite happy that Verstappen drives for Toro Rosso, why not? Any kid can drive one these days, they are far too easy to handle.

It would be fun to watch these guys handle something like a 1951 Alfa Romeo on a tree lined, soaking wet Spa. Then you would sort the men from the boys.
Back then racing really was dangerous, today it's child's play.

So back to the original point; Verstappen should not be capable of driving in Formula 1, rather than banned because of his age.

Fell free to disagree.

Bauble.
Old 8 Feb 2015, 09:48 (Ref:3502816)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Actually, I tend to agree with that..... Damn. I think that's twice I've agreed with you recently......
Old 8 Feb 2015, 09:49 (Ref:3502817)   #12
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I sort of see the rationale behind the argument in the original post is that the FIA has said that from 2016; all F1 drivers should be at least 18. As a consequence, it is possible to extrapolate the view that there are some concerns with regards to 17 year olds racing.

However, the rule book currently allows Verstappen to race and given his performances in F3 and testing, he will be probably do, at least, OK. As a consequence, I don't really see any problem with him racing.

That said, I'd imagine that Toro Rosso would probably do better with say, Vergne, in the car due to the potential for less rookie mistakes; however, this is a decision for the team rather than the FIA.
Old 8 Feb 2015, 09:51 (Ref:3502819)   #13
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
Better give the seat to Jean-Eric Vergne, Sébastien Buemi or any other RBR driver with experience
+1. In my opinion, if Vergne was not dropped from STR he would decide to stay at STR or be a driver at RBR alongside Ricciardo.
Old 8 Feb 2015, 09:56 (Ref:3502820)   #14
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Max has F1 experience and has proven to be mature and fast. Something a lot of recent F1 drivers (including some current) haven't shown, or have shown very irregularly. Don't see a problem.
Old 8 Feb 2015, 10:09 (Ref:3502821)   #15
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
My view is that if a 17/18 year old can drive a Formula 1 car then there is something wrong with Formula 1. It should take many years experience to get to the level required to handle a proper F1 car because they should be difficult and, yes, even dangerous to drive. It would appear that a quick season in karting and; Bang! You are a Grand Prix driver.

I am quite happy that Verstappen drives for Toro Rosso, why not? Any kid can drive one these days, they are far too easy to handle.

It would be fun to watch these guys handle something like a 1951 Alfa Romeo on a tree lined, soaking wet Spa. Then you would sort the men from the boys.
Back then racing really was dangerous, today it's child's play.

So back to the original point; Verstappen should not be capable of driving in Formula 1, rather than banned because of his age.

Fell free to disagree.

Bauble.
Without wishing to sound too much like an old git who's living in the past, I feel compelled to agree.

Old 8 Feb 2015, 11:34 (Ref:3502851)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If only it was like the old days when Chris Amon was debuting at 19.

Age is irrelevant. Experience is key. Verstappen has probably driven a billion races by now as he was karting in the womb with an F1 driver dad as a mentor.

It could go terribly badly, he could be another Alonso or Vettel. But thank god the people who make these driver decisions are forward thinking and risk takers rather than bitter, grumbly old men watching the sands of time slipping away.
Old 8 Feb 2015, 14:12 (Ref:3502882)   #17
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a different time now. Drivers start younger than they used to. Most start in karting very young and the top ones are racing in seriously competitive series from an early age, so the process is shifted forward a few years. In that regard you could say that Rodriguez and McLaren should never have made their debuts aged 19.

That said, I think Toro Rosso have also learned because I think when Alguersuari made his debut, he was a bit underprepared. At least my recollection is that he was stroking it in Friday practice and still getting up to speed. I'm confident STR will have prepared Verstappen much better. Consider Kvyat - still young and after one season at STR, he's now in a Red Bull and most aren't batting an eyelid. In some regards, there's no substitute for experience but that's a good and not unsafe thing. A Jenson Button is going to sometimes triumph over a Max Verstappen or a Daniil Kvyat, due to said experience, so you're putting different drivers against each other.
Old 8 Feb 2015, 14:15 (Ref:3502883)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The scary thing is that people want old drivers in the midfield/backmarker teams.

Yeah, let's have Pedro de la Rosa instead of blooding the new generation further down the field.

Mind boggling stuff.
Old 8 Feb 2015, 14:19 (Ref:3502887)   #19
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Actually, I tend to agree with that..... Damn. I think that's twice I've agreed with you recently......
That merely underlines your good judgement and plain common sense.

I do thank you for your valued support.

Bless you,

Bauble.
Old 8 Feb 2015, 14:23 (Ref:3502888)   #20
bauble
Veteran

England
"rather than bitter, grumbly old men watching the sands of time slipping away."

Oi! Watch it!
Old 8 Feb 2015, 14:55 (Ref:3502894)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Old 8 Feb 2015, 14:57 (Ref:3502896)   #22
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
The scary thing is that people want old drivers in the midfield/backmarker teams.

Yeah, let's have Pedro de la Rosa instead of blooding the new generation further down the field.

Mind boggling stuff.
Completely agree.

Verstappen has been outstanding in everything he's raced, more than a lot of recent F1 drivers as I've said. He may not have the experience but give him a season and we COULD have the next GP superstar. If not, then he'll be no worse than Max Chilton, Yuji Ide, Karun Chandhok and other recent F1 drivers.

I'd have Sainz Jr/Verstappen in F1 over Sutil/Gutierrez on pure talent...
Old 8 Feb 2015, 15:08 (Ref:3502898)   #23
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We live in the age where some kids start carting about the same time when they learn to read and write. That's true for many other occupations. In my university, I had a professor who did his math PhD by the age of something like 21. It was kind of depressing to take an undergraduate math course with him, with me being older than him. So anything is possible. Age should never be a factor when handing a driver license, but accomplishments should be.
Old 8 Feb 2015, 17:13 (Ref:3502938)   #24
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
If this young chap is capable of doing the job that he is hired to do then I just don't see the problem to be honest ..

The team are convinced he is, that is good enough for me ...
Old 8 Feb 2015, 17:15 (Ref:3502940)   #25
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I cannot see any justification for putting a child in a Formula One car, however wealthy, powerful and well-connected his parents and backers may be. It's just plain wrong in my personal opinion.

If he's that good let him prove it by winning a few junior titles until he's an adult, what's the rush?

I do agree with others above that today's F1 car is far too easy to drive. That's at the heart of the problem. Fixing that will help.