Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 Feb 2016, 23:59 (Ref:3614334)   #1
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2017 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 hour: Feb 3-5

With all the anticipation leading up to this years 12 hour, i couldn't help but looking forward to the 2017 race.
With Porsche, Ferrari, Mercedes and BMW finally having their new models ready to race here, it promises to be a must see.
With the local GT scene being stronger than ever and therefore more local entries for the 12 hour and the probability that there will be more International interest including having Calvert-Jones, Clearwater, AF Corse and Craft Bamboo returning after missing this year.
With the dates due to be announced any day, book your time off early, don't leave booking your accommodation until the last minute and if possible, get there on the Thursday for the unbelievable access to the teams, cars and drivers.
If your thinking of coming from O/S, 2017 is the year to come.
Old 13 Feb 2016, 02:18 (Ref:3614345)   #2
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
changes Id like to see for 2017
1 Id like to be there, depends on timing
2. 115% cut off (only one car would have missed out this year, the BMW)
3. Updated qualifying system, Id like a top ten, however maybe a top ten 20 min session would work, and also a non GT3 qualifying session)
4. A short saturday TV coverage including live coverage of the final qualifying session
5. More cameras.
6. a few more of the new breed v8 supercar drivers in the gt3 cars eg Chaz and Scott
7. Some drivers with recent LMP1 WEC experience that have an australiasian link
8. Entire coverage on Mate, so we don't have to flick
9. A mid race threat of rain
Old 13 Feb 2016, 03:59 (Ref:3614358)   #3
Mosport Fan
Rookie

Canada
Sydney Australia, formerly Canada
Mosport Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm looking forward to being there next year, regardless if the Sydney Rugby Sevens clashes or not- hotel already booked.
Old 13 Feb 2016, 22:52 (Ref:3614477)   #4
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosport Fan View Post
I'm looking forward to being there next year, regardless if the Sydney Rugby Sevens clashes or not- hotel already booked.
It was great to see so many Tenthers come over this year and would be great to see even more of them next year.
Old 13 Feb 2016, 22:56 (Ref:3614478)   #5
Reload
Veteran

Australia
It was interesting to hear Tony Quinn saying that there were too many practice sessions at the 12hr. Personally I think it's 1 session too many, your thoughts ?
Old 13 Feb 2016, 23:04 (Ref:3614480)   #6
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see the attraction of a Shootout.... but it's a staple of the 1000, rather than a 'Bathurst' tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
It was interesting to hear Tony Quinn saying that there were too many practice sessions at the 12hr. Personally I think it's 1 session too many, your thoughts ?
I'd have thought there was no such thing as too much track time, especially leading up to a big race.

There is usually so many new-to-Bathurst drivers entering each year that i don't think cutting track time would help at all.

Maybe have two qualifying sessions on Saturday instead of just the one (as well as the 20min Class A session), with the extra qualifying session taking the place of the last practice session on Saturday?
Old 14 Feb 2016, 01:31 (Ref:3614495)   #7
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
It was great to see so many Tenthers come over this year and would be great to see even more of them next year.

Yeah indeed, I really enjoyed the dinner and bumping into Tenthers over the weekend, I'm counting the days til next year. February 2017 cannot come soon enough.

I hope those two old dudes I camped next to at McPhillamy return they were good value
Old 14 Feb 2016, 03:01 (Ref:3614506)   #8
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I reckon there's room for an F1 style elimination qually session.
Old 14 Feb 2016, 03:03 (Ref:3614508)   #9
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The more running the better - especially considering the varied cars and varied driver experience / knowledge of the track.

Considering T Quinn's performance on the Sunday I think the more Friday running the better for Tony
Old 14 Feb 2016, 03:55 (Ref:3614519)   #10
KSM86
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
KSM86 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
The more running the better - especially considering the varied cars and varied driver experience / knowledge of the track.

Considering T Quinn's performance on the Sunday I think the more Friday running the better for Tony
Agree.

Im pretty sure one of the reason's for so many safety cars from previous yrs was because of the lack of track time practice for some overseas drivers.... friday practice one was for the newbies which was good.
Old 14 Feb 2016, 08:34 (Ref:3614557)   #11
goat69
Racer

goat69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM86 View Post
Agree.

Im pretty sure one of the reason's for so many safety cars from previous yrs was because of the lack of track time practice for some overseas drivers.... friday practice one was for the newbies which was good.
Interestingly their were less safety car/ red flags this year than previous across all catagories over the weekend. I blame formula ford (i don't really, i did miss there racing though tjis year. Last years was great.)
Old 15 Feb 2016, 04:54 (Ref:3614747)   #12
scudd
Racer

scudd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
changes Id like to see for 2017

9. A mid race threat of rain
no thanks.
Old 15 Feb 2016, 04:57 (Ref:3614748)   #13
scudd
Racer

Quote:
we were chasing set-up during every session so I thought there were just enough.

last year there were so many red flags that the sessions on offer weren't really enough to get sorted.

I guess that's why they had so many sessions this year?

you lose a lot of time going out and coming into the pits, and changing drivers and car set-up.

a 90 minute session seems a long time but it goes pretty quickly.
Old 15 Feb 2016, 05:28 (Ref:3614751)   #14
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Tony or any other competitor thinks they have had enough practice time they can park the car.It will help save their tyre bank.There are so many drivers inexperienced at Bathurst in the field each year they need the track time.For a point of comparison Le Mans has 10 hours of practice/qualifying across 2 days before the race.In many years there is also a test day with about 6 hours of running a few weeks before.
Agree with Scudd this year was better than last because of less time lost under red flags.They even extended practice sessions to make up for red flag time.
Old 15 Feb 2016, 06:05 (Ref:3614755)   #15
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudd View Post
a 90 minute session seems a long time but it goes pretty quickly.
As a spectator a 90minute session is great, can really get yourself absorbed in the session and the long runs.

Obviously there are obstacles however I wouldn't mind seeing a twilight or night session on Friday evening (try to mimic Sunday morning start). As a driver/team owner Scudd is this something of interest to you blokes? Or to much risk early in the weekend?
Old 16 Feb 2016, 10:16 (Ref:3615063)   #16
nafe!
Racer

nafe! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The event itself imho is perfect. Qualifying should not be cheapened by a tv style shootout and there is just enough practice time for international teams and drivers to learn the track.

However ery year i wish that other manufacturers had as much apparel as nissan did. It was nice to see a ferrari store...which was surprisingly affordable.

I feel that the track could really do with more super screens, especially across the top of the mountain.

Other than those minor gripes the event is perfect!
Old 16 Feb 2016, 10:46 (Ref:3615074)   #17
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafe! View Post
However ery year i wish that other manufacturers had as much apparel as nissan did. It was nice to see a ferrari store...which was surprisingly affordable.

Got my hopes up when I saw that and asked the kind lass behind the counter surrounded by F1 merch if she had any GT or Clienti Corse stuff. 'We have only have Ferrari' was the answer forthcoming....

'Shrugs'. I give up.

Great to see Bentley and McLaren selling gear, apparently Bentley sold out of shirts on Saturday.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 21:48 (Ref:3615268)   #18
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The race itself was great, and that's what we're all there for!
Van Gisbergen is a wasted talent, racing over here. I hope he keeps up a few more of his overseas GT racing commitments this year. The guy is poetry in motion behind the wheel. I dunno whether he was just playing up to the crowd in the last hour of the race, or what, but you get the idea, he could have just put the hammer down at any time to tear off into the distance, as he had done all weekend.
The B12hr merch was again rubbish and massively overpriced.
$75.00 & $55.00 for cheaply made, crap T shirts was ridiculous. They're kidding aren't they? To answer my own question, I suppose they weren't, because there were heaps still on the racks when we walked out, on Sunday afternoon, after the race had finished. I wasn't going to buy one even if they were cheaper. Whoever designs this rubbish needs to have a re-look at the quality, design, fabric and presentation, and maybe check out some of the better, overseas team and race merchandise (not the American stuff), to get an idea.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 22:31 (Ref:3615287)   #19
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agreed on the merch, it looked pretty rank to me and horribly overpriced. For a race that features some of the more exotic brands of cars on this earth, I thought their clothing range hardly embraced that fact.

Is the whole Goodwood type week an actual goer for next year?
Old 22 Feb 2016, 22:58 (Ref:3616872)   #20
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, I'd like to come back for the race next year ...
Old 22 Feb 2016, 23:36 (Ref:3616880)   #21
velly4
Racer

Australia
velly4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With some Huracans on the way to Australia you'd have to think Bathurst would suit them going by their performance on certain circuits
Old 23 Feb 2016, 00:23 (Ref:3616894)   #22
msd76
Rookie

msd76 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by velly4 View Post
With some Huracans on the way to Australia you'd have to think Bathurst would suit them going by their performance on certain circuits
Being basically an Audi R8 LMS with a lot of high end speed they should kill it all Bathurst.
Old 23 Feb 2016, 01:22 (Ref:3616906)   #23
scudd
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
As a spectator a 90minute session is great, can really get yourself absorbed in the session and the long runs.

Obviously there are obstacles however I wouldn't mind seeing a twilight or night session on Friday evening (try to mimic Sunday morning start). As a driver/team owner Scudd is this something of interest to you blokes? Or to much risk early in the weekend?
while it would be great for spectators, since the race is only run 20/30 mins in the dark, it's not something that's needed.

not sure how the owners of the properties would feel being locked in/out for longer than what happens already?
Old 23 Feb 2016, 01:23 (Ref:3616907)   #24
scudd
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by msd76 View Post
Being basically an Audi R8 LMS with a lot of high end speed they should kill it all Bathurst.
they might need to run to BOP first, then see how they go.
Old 23 Feb 2016, 02:12 (Ref:3616913)   #25
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
reading there might have been a few BOP related issues With the Huracans over the weekend