Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 20 Jun 2003, 05:20 (Ref:637250)   #51
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by FIRE
And this:
I think they can better concentrate in building a LMP2/LM750 car because this class is weak. It their car is reliable than maybe they get a podium finish at Le Mans in this class.
That's the point for ACO : having a special category for small pennyless teams... not a so bad idea... I can't make me an idea on this, I keep on prefering DBAs and MGs to WRs and Reynards... I can't help it... and my favourite is the new Courage C65 (estheticaly, I mean !)...

Last edited by Fab; 20 Jun 2003 at 05:20.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 12:14 (Ref:637534)   #52
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
To be honoust I think if Norma builds a LM750 car they are probably also slow compared to DBA and MG.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 12:16 (Ref:637536)   #53
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Theres a picture of Normas new LMP750 (LMP2) car in Autosport.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 12:18 (Ref:637537)   #54
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
To be honoust I think if Norma builds a LM750 car they are probably also slow compared to DBA and MG.

I agree the small Courage is ok only that JPX engine needs more development. But Mechachrome is involved so I think they get that engine reliable.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 12:28 (Ref:637548)   #55
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But DBA and especially MG will not go to LMP750. DBA will be turned into an LMP900 (LMP1), while MG will be granfatehered into LMP1.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 17:00 (Ref:637796)   #56
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
What I ment to say that the Norma will be slower than the best teams in the LM750 class.

I didn't know the DBA will tranformed to a LM900. Why not transforming to a LM750?
Old 20 Jun 2003, 17:13 (Ref:637809)   #57
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
What I ment to say that the Norma will be slower than the best teams in the LM750 class.

I didn't know the DBA will tranformed to a LM900. Why not transforming to a LM750?
DBAs been homologated for LMP900 and LMP675. Teams who want to race for overall wins, i.e. DBA are likely to race in LMP900/LMP1 in the future while those only interested in class wins would go to LMP750/LMP2.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 18:58 (Ref:637895)   #58
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From the images I saw of the Norma LMP2 (750 kg), it looks very low-tech in its design...very simplistic...

Maybe they'll see a few of them...we'll see...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 20 Jun 2003, 19:04 (Ref:637900)   #59
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
They have already Norma M20 CM/CN car:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/sportracer/Norma%20M%2020.htm
Tim: Do you mean this car?????

If yes: But a CN car isn't the same as LMP2 car. Or is it?
Old 20 Jun 2003, 19:20 (Ref:637910)   #60
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I saw that car on the Norma site when I was surfing around the other day...Is that their LMP2???

If it is, it is very low-tech....I don't know if it is or not...

Old 20 Jun 2003, 19:22 (Ref:637911)   #61
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Their CN car is 520 kg. I haven't looked at the specs, but I'm sure it won't meet LMP requirements.

What exactly is CN?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 20 Jun 2003, 19:37 (Ref:637921)   #62
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
On Norma's website www.sportproto.com I can't find anything about a LMP2 car. Only about the LM900 and CN/CM car.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 21:17 (Ref:638029)   #63
JAG
Veteran

England
The new LMP750/LMP2 is based on the CN cars chassis and in the pictures I've seen looks a little like a mini Dallara.
Old 21 Jun 2003, 14:27 (Ref:638460)   #64
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
DBAs been homologated for LMP900 and LMP675. Teams who want to race for overall wins, i.e. DBA are likely to race in LMP900/LMP1 in the future while those only interested in class wins would go to LMP750/LMP2.
[off-topic]
John Nielsen raced with a Dome in the past. Is this Dome still in the garage of Nielsen? If yes, why not using the Dome instead of an upgraded DBA LM675 car? The RfH Dome (with aerodynamic upgrades) was succesfull at Le Mans last few years.
[/off-topic]
Old 21 Jun 2003, 14:39 (Ref:638464)   #65
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
isn't the 'Nielsen' Dome the car that Kondo ran last year? If so then it's either still with Kondo (did they run the same chassis this year or a new one) or with Hugh Chamberlain (who ran the car in some late season ALMS races with Milka Duno on board)
Old 21 Jun 2003, 15:00 (Ref:638489)   #66
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Maybe???
Old 21 Jun 2003, 17:59 (Ref:638617)   #67
JAG
Veteran

England
The nielson car, I believe, was that run by Chamberlain last year. I'm not sure if the 2003 Kondo car is the same car upgraded to 2003 spec or a new chassis.

The DBAs shown it has the pace in LMP675 (probably quicker than an MG), and I believe would be very quick in LMP900 spec. If the DBA ever did race as a LMP900/LMP1, I would expect it would be completly reworked for the 2004 regs rather than a current LMP900 spec car grandfathered into LMP1, as say a current Audi R8 would be.

The DBA/Reynard is currently the subject of interest from a new company looking to buy the rights to the car in order to sell customer versions in LMP675/LMP2 and LMP900/LMP1 spec. depending on demand.

The company in question, I beleive, is different to the one who originally bought the Reynard/DBA rights and built the first car, currently being run by John Nielsons team.

Last edited by JAG; 21 Jun 2003 at 18:00.
Old 21 Jun 2003, 18:30 (Ref:638630)   #68
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
All the rights of Reynard were bought by Paul Shakespeare from International Racing Management after they went bankrupt. So you think IRM sells the rights to another firm? What's your source?

Last edited by FIRE; 21 Jun 2003 at 18:34.
Old 21 Jun 2003, 20:28 (Ref:638683)   #69
JAG
Veteran

England
The story may well have been about Shakespear, can't remember

But there plan is to build customer cars, as both LMP675/LMP2 and LMP900/LMP1.

Check DSC, the story may be on there.

Last edited by JAG; 21 Jun 2003 at 20:35.
Old 21 Jun 2003, 20:45 (Ref:638693)   #70
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
I have no DSC account...
Old 26 Jun 2003, 12:58 (Ref:643702)   #71
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Slightly off-topic, I was just reading on the BBC News site about Denis Thatcher and noticed the following picture of Mark Thatcher (presumably after his Paris-Daker 'adventure'), is that a Norma t-shirt he's wearing?
Old 26 Jun 2003, 14:50 (Ref:643798)   #72
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Difficult to see but it looks like Norma.

The Norma is slower than slow but according to the amount of replies on this topic it's a populair car!
Old 26 Jun 2003, 17:44 (Ref:643923)   #73
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i still don't think people can get over how slow it was!

Last edited by kdr; 26 Jun 2003 at 17:45.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 18:03 (Ref:643946)   #74
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Have they finished the race yet?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 26 Jun 2003, 19:40 (Ref:644041)   #75
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Since South Florida is a great place to "Retire" (at least a lot of Snow Birds think it is), team Sezio and that Norma are returning to the right place....