Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Jan 2004, 01:28 (Ref:842855)   #26
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Cant say I was a big fan of Sato's previously but after a season testing (thats what he should have been doing in 2002) BAR are willing to give him another chance so I will also.

As for Japan, I thought he driver brilliantly. Passing the Jags was fantastic and keeping Michael in a Ferrari at bay was'nt done on luck either. Great stuff.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 05:37 (Ref:842981)   #27
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
I just have a "feeling" that Sauber might bypass BAR, Jag and Toyota this year because I suspect its no more than a rebadged Ferrari. Also, Fisi is a good driver and Massa showed he can be very quick if he keeps it on the tarmac.
As for BAR, Bunson is a good driver but I expect Sato to give him some real competition this year...he has the best pre-F1 CV of any Jap driver and Suzuka was a hint that he can make it in F1.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 07:38 (Ref:843036)   #28
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by nippy
Peter in Malysia Jenson was slowing with four laps to go because Trulli had spun earlier and the pace was back on as soon as the gap began to close he was passed by both Trulli and M Schumacher on the last lap and that was not the occasion i was referring to.
Ah then you must be referring to his complete failure at Indy where in cracking under extreme pressure from MS his engine blew. BTW. That performance was given praise by Alan Henry in the annual top ten in Autocourse.

Quote:
Originally posted by nippy
n Sato's case his race was hardly neat and tidy Clouting the wall at turn 4 in friday practice where the B.A.R. boys did a fantastic job of rebuilding his car in the race he turned straight across the front of M.S.
Well if you don't spin you aren't trying is an old adage. But his race performance which is being discussed here was pretty good. And you just don't know how difficult it is for me to write those words.

I think Richards is doing a good job and if he keeps this up and with some reliability from Honda they'll more than take the fight to Jag, Sauber and Toyota.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 09:26 (Ref:843080)   #29
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pollock's effectiveness was clearly (i'd say blatantly) penalised by a conflict of interest: being JV's manager, he paid "particular" attention to JV's economic treatment...

Richards?
Well, no discussion about the man.
Nevertheless, despite many true good things said about him, well, we have to notice that results from the track haven't scored the improvements we could expect.
Something similar when he went to benetton. Well the situations were actually very different, but I keep my opinion that DR is way better as a businessman than as a team manager.
Briatore proved much better in carrying a F1 squad.
He also had very negative years at benetton, but he proved way more able to get his teams to turnaround.
One can say that even Todt didn't reverse Ferrari's crisis at once, and that's true, but after these years, well I honestly expected more from DR.

Last edited by climb; 19 Jan 2004 at 09:27.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 11:09 (Ref:843137)   #30
nippy
Racer

nippy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually yes ive won and lost races on the last lap i know exactly wot pressure is and i can certainly see it in an f1 race Jenson is known for not doing well under pressure. In u.s.a. when he had an engine failure he was told by the team to shift revs so the engine wasn't on the maximum and did he..... No he didn't !!! thus engine failure anything else
Old 19 Jan 2004, 11:21 (Ref:843145)   #31
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
This thread is about Richards and BAR - stay on topic or start a new thread.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 12:03 (Ref:843166)   #32
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are actually quite a few examples of Jenson cracking under pressure. Monza 2001, where he missed his braking point completely and clouted Trulli, and Spa 2000, with Trulli again the victim, come to mind alongside Malaysia 2003, and his qualifying run on his debut at Melbourne 2000 was hardly spectacular. It's one area where he does still need to improve, but could ultimately be a massive handicap if he was in a serious title chase.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 05:40 (Ref:843576)   #33
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it was not for Wrex boy we could really get into it. All drivers crack. All of them. Some do it more than others, JB is not among that group.

DR knows what he is doing and far be it for me to criticize or scrutinize his actions. None of us have even the slightest clue what it takes or if he is really doing a good job. So far the team has been in the news a lot more, the drivers have been all over the world and the BAR Honda team gets more attention than most teams. Now, all we need is pace and reliability the two things that really count. Pace is attainable but reliability is much more of an effort. Can be blame DR for lack of reliability? Yeah! He is in charge and in that area he has a failing grade but its not too late.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 23:49 (Ref:846124)   #34
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Forget the past...'put it behind you'...Take a fresh positive Formula One approach...Take a deep breath... it's a brand new season...an exciting all new car design...Michelin tires...Honda have a new motor...a fresh young driver line up with a very experienced test driver for the Friday's...'Pro-drive man' at the helm...Believe it!...this is a team on the way up :-)

Last edited by Rennen; 21 Jan 2004 at 23:50.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 00:17 (Ref:846181)   #35
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DR's best move was getting rid of Jacques. Whilst JV was good for the sport and was a good driver he was too much of a distraction for the team. With him gone the team can settle down doing their job without a disproportionate amount of the budget going to one person.

As for the rest of DR's performance we will have to wait and see. As with several other of DR's roles (WRC & V8s) much has been promised but not a lot delivered, at least in terms of results.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 09:43 (Ref:846557)   #36
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by woodbine
DR's best move was getting rid of Jacques. Whilst JV was good for the sport and was a good driver he was too much of a distraction for the team. With him gone the team can settle down doing their job without a disproportionate amount of the budget going to one person.

As for the rest of DR's performance we will have to wait and see. As with several other of DR's roles (WRC & V8s) much has been promised but not a lot delivered, at least in terms of results.
Although this may seem controversial, I agree with you. He was good, but his constant "soundbites" said more about his character than his driving. And he profoundly irritated me.

I think the judgement's out on DR, as one of his scapegoats is gone.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 16:48 (Ref:847078)   #37
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I'm not sure i understand all this "Sato crashes at every given oppertunity" buisness. In 2002, his last race crsh/spin was in France, 6 races from the end of the season.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 17:14 (Ref:847131)   #38
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hmm, my last post has disappeared. Is DR moderating here or does some moderator think he is anything less than underhanded in his approach? And does that moderator not think that Sato will be under immense pressure to fill those shoes, especially if he has an early "incident"? Or was it the comment about JB being quick and smooth but needed to show some testosterone in traffic? There was no profanity that I could determine.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 17:20 (Ref:847139)   #39
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thus proving that he didn't take all his opportunities.

I think the point is more that he did gain a deserved reputation for attracting the scenery - and his team mate IIRC.

I'm one of those non fans but I also saw a marked improvement in his driving at Suzuka that belied his previous attempts and yes I know he scored points at Suzuka in 02 but this time he looked in control.

Richards would appear to have hit a seam of talent which (and it needs Honda) has potential. Button looks more confident (and now he's got the better of JV it can only be good for him) and Sato is improving.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 17:32 (Ref:847159)   #40
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by Kirk
Hmm, my last post has disappeared. Is DR moderating here or does some moderator think he is anything less than underhanded in his approach? And does that moderator not think that Sato will be under immense pressure to fill those shoes, especially if he has an early "incident"? Or was it the comment about JB being quick and smooth but needed to show some testosterone in traffic? There was no profanity that I could determine.

I think it could have been taken as a libelous comment. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way. Anyway its just my opinion. However I can't beleive you think Button may be any good. Are you ill?
Old 22 Jan 2004, 20:38 (Ref:847390)   #41
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Well Button shattered the record in Barcellona today - with frightening pace. Low fuel? What is going on?
Old 22 Jan 2004, 21:01 (Ref:847408)   #42
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
You might have to change your sig.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 21:01 (Ref:847409)   #43
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw that to Inigo, and I must say I'm impressed!

No break-downs, and a blistering pace to boot! Michael was second, but a full 8 tenths behind Buttons pace. Its early, but Button and BAR could be the real deal.

Some will say, its just testing, but I can't remember a BAR car that did this!

Danica Patrick
Old 22 Jan 2004, 21:15 (Ref:847434)   #44
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
You took the words out of my keyboard!

It has to be all that BBCi surfing he's been doing.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 04:42 (Ref:847832)   #45
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
I have been let down too many times by BAR Honda. Its the absoulte best performance I have ever seen from them. Hopefully, its for real. Testing is nice. BAR got to really see what the car is capable of. Now lets see if they can be consistent and reliable!
Old 23 Jan 2004, 05:08 (Ref:847845)   #46
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
This puts things into perspective...
from BAR F1

Geoffrey Willis, Technical Director, commented: "We have had another positive day testing with the '04 Concept car, continuing our tyre development and reliability testing programme. We ran a lower fuel level with Jenson this morning, which confirmed our performance predictions for the car. Whilst we are very pleased that Jenson posted a new record lap for the revised Barcelona circuit, this is still pre-season testing and it is always difficult to know what fuel levels the other teams are running. It is however gratifying to see that we are on target for meeting our own objectives and that the Concept car is quick and responsive."
Old 23 Jan 2004, 08:29 (Ref:847897)   #47
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kirk
Check your PM's to find the answer....
Old 23 Jan 2004, 14:19 (Ref:848261)   #48
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
B.A.R. have always been one of the no nonsense teams getting on with testing and rarely bothering with 'qualifying runs' just for the heck of it...yesterday was one of the exceptions.

When Davidson first joined the team he was disapointed not to get a low fuel/new tires run, until incumbent erstwhile tester Darren Manning explained that he had never done one ever!

This morning (Friday) Davidson took over Sato's car, taking 3 tenths off his Tuesday time with plenty more to come no doubt. (Barcelona's surface gets faster this time of the year and then gets slower as the year progresses) However Button's car broke and he has commendeered Davidson's 051 chassis for the final afternoon session...such is the life of a '3rd driver'...hard luck Ant!
Old 23 Jan 2004, 16:59 (Ref:848429)   #49
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Rennen
However Button's car broke and he has commendeered Davidson's 051 chassis for the final afternoon session...such is the life of a '3rd driver'...hard luck Ant!
Hopefully, one day, Ant will be able to do that to someone else
Old 23 Jan 2004, 20:50 (Ref:848684)   #50
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
It's funny you know, 'MrV'...we raced wheel to wheel with the Button's virtually every other weekend for at least 6 years in junior karting (with equal results, check out their CVs) They then raced in International karting against each other for another 2 years (again with very close results) In junior cars they had a very similar Formula Ford year with the same team (albeit in differant seasons) and equal successes in their rookie F3...The thought in those early years that they would end up in the same F1 team as a mere understudy to JB was unthinkable...(still is to me!)