Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Most despised driver-aid?
Traction control 22 30.56%
Launch control 8 11.11%
Semi-automatic transmssion 6 8.33%
Telemetry 1 1.39%
Something we don't know about yet. 2 2.78%
Grooved Tyres 11 15.28%
Politics 22 30.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 Jan 2004, 16:45 (Ref:847072)   #26
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
funny it seems everyone here is a fan of Champcars...
Old 22 Jan 2004, 17:52 (Ref:847182)   #27
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
Old 22 Jan 2004, 18:09 (Ref:847221)   #28
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
I find it hard to understand why some people follow F1 at all! If you hate so much about it why bother? I love it all - the pinacle of motor racing, with plenty to get interested in and excited about if you open your eyes.
you have a point....i don't despise any of the aspects of the current f1 though i am not a big fan of traction/launch control or grooved tires......and yes, i too love it all.....to me there is no other form of motor racing that brings with it the inherent excitement, drama, and colour.....an f1 standing start, especially if you are right there at the start/finish line is about as close to heaven on earth as you can be (at least for me anyway).....f1 has always been about taking technology to the 'nth degree, and i don't have a problem with that....i'd just like to see a few things changed....
Old 22 Jan 2004, 20:15 (Ref:847373)   #29
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 is F1.Every year the engineers come up with something new which evey team will eventually catch on to then we will bleet about that.Case in point Williams new nose.We think it looks ugly but mark my words if it works next year,or even later on this year,we will see more teams copying in one way or another.This is why F1 is the way it is and other forms of motor sport are the same (Toyota TS020 and last years Bently look rather the same to the uninformed).As long as all teams have the same aids there is no problem.Its up to them to get them to work better then someone else thus giving them the edge.It just appears that some are better then others at it.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 22 Jan 2004 at 20:16.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 20:45 (Ref:847395)   #30
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes, it's the pinnacle; I don't think anyone can argue that fact really, and admittedly I love it. But the truth is, F1 could be something more. I long for the days when it was possible for 10 or more drivers to have a legitimate chance for victory on any given weekend. The playing field has definitely changed, mainly due to money.
But if I were to choose one thing that bugs me the most, it is the weakness of the FIA. Teams are always looking for an edge, of course, but they take it to the nth degree to find loopholes or cheat, because they know they can (at least for a while until they're caught). If the FIA were to have real backbone, teams would think twice before employing tactics they know are against the rules (or the spirit of such). This year for example lc is banned. If any team tries to use tc to accomplish the same, it should result in disqualification, a huge fine and loss of points for that race (and possibly all the races preceding in 2004). FIA needs to spell out the rules (and if necessary the spirit of the rule so there can be no misunderstanding) and apply severe punishment for all cheaters.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 21:08 (Ref:847420)   #31
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
Champ Cars are simpler, without all of the aids, but I've seen quite a few of the "parades' they put on this past year. I caught some of my best naps during them.

Less driver aids don't automatically give you better racing.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 21:45 (Ref:847469)   #32
Shoe-maker
Racer

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Shoe-maker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Launch control should go.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 23:22 (Ref:847589)   #33
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Launch Contol has gone!
Old 23 Jan 2004, 00:22 (Ref:847658)   #34
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone from Ferrari once said that F1 was a war and teams would do everything to obtain the edge.Trust me when I say this LC may be banned but I bet teams will find away for TC to do the same thing.Its just that some will be better than others and if Ferraris attempt is a dud I expect an official protest before the end of the first lap at Albert Park.Its OK for them to be first but foul play when someone beats them to it.Case in point the tyre **** from before Monza last year.It wasn't a problem till it looked like the championship was going to be close.Cinical but all to true.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 23 Jan 2004 at 00:22.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 00:28 (Ref:847671)   #35
Meroo
Racer

Australia
South Coast NSW
Meroo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn the grooved tyres. Bring back slicks, ASAP.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 10:00 (Ref:847986)   #36
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, after all, before traction control was legalised, teams were "closely emulating" it in software. At least officially.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 10:10 (Ref:848002)   #37
nameless
Racer

nameless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it has to be the politics that is the worst aspect of f1, as although i dislike TC and auto gears and a lot of the driver aids they do at least have a place in a sport which strives for the pinnacle of advanced technology. politics however does not have a place, yet it controls almost every aspect of the sport and itself has a negative affect on the competetiveness of the sport.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 11:00 (Ref:848056)   #38
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
Champ Cars are simpler, without all of the aids, but I've seen quite a few of the "parades' they put on this past year. I caught some of my best naps during them.

Less driver aids don't automatically give you better racing.
Agreed there, i went to Brands to watch the Champ Cars and it was the most boring racing i've ever seen
Old 23 Jan 2004, 11:01 (Ref:848059)   #39
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by nameless
it has to be the politics that is the worst aspect of f1,
Maybe, but politics have always been there in F1, it's just that we have more access to whats going on now-a-days with the internet, more magazines etc.

Plus, it gives us loads to talk about
Old 23 Jan 2004, 11:12 (Ref:848067)   #40
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by ASCII Man
Nevermind...
I just checked dude, you have done that same post 427 times?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
Grooved tyres and the break between one season and the next
Agree with that. But really, whay do we want groove tyres. I bet these have as much (or more) than the old ones. I know why I want slicks back - They look cool

Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Launch Contol has gone!
Forget it Adam, the kiddies cant hear you
Old 23 Jan 2004, 11:23 (Ref:848081)   #41
Mr V
Veteran

England
Bring back slicks on the grounds of aesthetic reasons
Old 23 Jan 2004, 11:34 (Ref:848090)   #42
chriswhitt
Rookie

chriswhitt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must admit that I miss the partial lottery of manual gearchanges and the race altering mistakes that came with a botched change. That said, at the speeds these things travel nowadays, I can't see it being seen as safe to routinely have to drive with one hand.
The one thing I would like to see alter that could possibly change, is the aerodynamics. Who doesn't look back to the scenes of cars running inches apart, without loss of grip?
BRING BACK BIG SLICKS AND LESS DOWNFORCE
Old 23 Jan 2004, 11:49 (Ref:848104)   #43
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
politics, i hate the way that reults can be debated after a race with the threat of court action, it a sport for **** sake.

my most despised aspect of F1 (other than driver aids) is dominance, the dominance of one driver/team over the others.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 11:55 (Ref:848108)   #44
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Should we have a chook lotto champion then and send the rest home?
Old 23 Jan 2004, 12:23 (Ref:848135)   #45
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Managed Competition" -- the new phrase for "Race Fixing."
Old 23 Jan 2004, 20:08 (Ref:848636)   #46
DaveOrama
Rookie

DaveOrama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grooved tyres, and carbon brakes. Give the drivers some time and grip to assist with passing.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 20:43 (Ref:848675)   #47
Wethat
Rookie

Wethat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grooved tyres. B.t.w, manual gearing and launch control are back this year..
Old 23 Jan 2004, 20:43 (Ref:848678)   #48
Wethat
Rookie

Wethat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ehmm.. I meanth launch control is removed this year
Old 23 Jan 2004, 21:29 (Ref:848723)   #49
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by nameless
it has to be the politics that is the worst aspect of f1, as although i dislike TC and auto gears and a lot of the driver aids they do at least have a place in a sport which strives for the pinnacle of advanced technology. politics however does not have a place, yet it controls almost every aspect of the sport and itself has a negative affect on the competetiveness of the sport.
I love the politics!

Its what makes F1 so compelling, and its what draws you in week after week. Its like a soap-opera, you have to keep watching to make sure you didn't miss anything.

F1 is the largest racing series in the world, partially because people like the politics and the drama. NASCAR has that here in the states, and it amazingly has become the second biggest sport here.

Its obvious, politics works. (oh, and the racing ain't to bad either!)
Old 23 Jan 2004, 22:50 (Ref:848788)   #50
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
semi-auto box. We should go back to manual