Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 23 Aug 2010, 11:32 (Ref:2748888)   #1
ae86James
Rookie

United Kingdom
Halesowen, UK
ae86James should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shelsley Walsh Hill Climb 22nd August

I took the short drive over to the brilliant Shelsley Walsh in Worcester for the Nicholson McLaren MSA British Hillclimb Championship yesterday. Was a great day with some great weather aswell!
I have lot's of photos which i will be sifting through tonight and uploading. Unfortunatly i don't have too many action shots as i was only using my 50mm f/1.4 lens on the day, but have plenty of shots from around the paddock and also the alfa romeo stands in the parking area, so i will upload them tonight if people are interested.

Did anyone else go down there yesterday?

James.
Old 23 Aug 2010, 12:31 (Ref:2748919)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was in my usual spot at Bottom Ess, trying to work out how the heck to get Deryck Young's car from where he left it. Impressively managed to spin out of Top Ess without touching the banks with anything other than wings. Impressive since the car is long about the same amount that the track is wide!

Some excellent competition with three different winners of the two run-offs, Scott Moran and Chris Merrick setting identical times in the first run-off.

Weather was kind to us on Sunday with the forecast rain not arriving, Saturday was pretty grim on the whole. Despite difficult conditions the drivers did a very good job of staying on the road with just a very few minor incidents.
Old 23 Aug 2010, 13:00 (Ref:2748934)   #3
ae86James
Rookie

United Kingdom
Halesowen, UK
ah i probably saw you then as we were standing along the section with quick blast up to the bottom S. Unfortunatly i didn't make it to the saturday, but i should image the weather wasn't as nice as the Sunday!

I will upload all my photos and put some of them on here later on tonight
Old 23 Aug 2010, 20:21 (Ref:2749170)   #4
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I made my first visit to Shelsley as I am a Section Secretary for AROC and it was our National weekend, although other business meant i could only attend on Sunday - and I was very impressed with the venue, its location, and its atmosphere. Because of involvement in the Alfa activities I didn't get to explore as much of the route as I would have liked, but I suspect I may well return...althouigh it is at least 2.5 hours drive for me....Don't think Scammonden dam or Baitings (if they still survive) compare well.....
Old 23 Aug 2010, 20:32 (Ref:2749176)   #5
ae86James
Rookie

United Kingdom
Halesowen, UK
Personally I think the atmosphere is the main thing that makes it such a good day and i'm sure a lot of other guys would agree with me on that. I was really impressed with the vibe around the pit area. The cars on display on the alfa stands were stunning aswell. I havn't been to an alfa show before and i really enjoyed looking round and shooting some photos of them.
I have just about finished uploading my photos from the day onto my Flickr account if you want to check them out.
Unfortunatly i didn't get too many photos of the sprint's as i only had my prime 50mm lens with me so i was restricted. But i made sure i made up for that with paddock photos!
Hope you like them...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamesga...th/4921325020/

James.
Old 24 Aug 2010, 12:17 (Ref:2749426)   #6
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great pictures, much improved by me not appearing in any of them

I wish it was possible to photograph the noise made by the Alfa demonstrator. Made us all go weak at the knees.
Old 25 Aug 2010, 11:36 (Ref:2749921)   #7
ae86James
Rookie

United Kingdom
Halesowen, UK
Thanks, i was real happy with my paddock photos from the day, some stunning cars there.

I know, that thing was incredible. I was going to video it as my camera shoots full HD video aswell, but i was too busy watching it in awe!! what a sound
Old 27 Aug 2010, 08:25 (Ref:2750951)   #8
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I run the Shelsley Group on Flickr. I couldn't believe there wasn't one!
http://www.flickr.com/groups/885495@N22/

Tom Gay has his usual stunning action shots, so your paddock images are very, very welcome!

Go have a nose through the collection, some good stuff in there.
Old 27 Aug 2010, 14:18 (Ref:2751074)   #9
ae86James
Rookie

United Kingdom
Halesowen, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
I run the Shelsley Group on Flickr. I couldn't believe there wasn't one!
http://www.flickr.com/groups/885495@N22/

Tom Gay has his usual stunning action shots, so your paddock images are very, very welcome!

Go have a nose through the collection, some good stuff in there.
Ah brilliant. Do i just join the group then add my photos to it?

I would have loved to get some proper action shots from the day but being stuck behind the spectator barriers was a bit awkward. Do you know how i would go about getting a media pass for the day so i can get some decent action shots?

just having a browse through it now, there are some brilliant photos. Thats for letting me know about it, gives me something to look through this quiet afternoon at work!haha
Old 28 Aug 2010, 21:09 (Ref:2751556)   #10
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I've never felt the need to get 'media' side at a sprint, or hillclimb? The fences don't stop you getting shots...
Old 20 Sep 2010, 12:52 (Ref:2761900)   #11
ae86James
Rookie

United Kingdom
Halesowen, UK
Perhaps it's just me, but I always feel that shots taken from behind the spectator fences always look a bit generic. The image could be cropped etc to improve that but it is nice to get some interesting/good angles instead of being behind the spectator fences.
I suppose it depends on the course/track though.