Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Which driver is going to win the VASC Driver’s Championship In 2018?
#1 Jamie Whincup RBHRT Holden 6 14.63%
#2 Scott Pye WAU Holden 1 2.44%
#5 Mark Winterbottom Tickford Ford 0 0%
#6 Cameron Waters Tickford Ford 1 2.44%
#7 Andre Heimgartner NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#8 Nick Percat BJR Holden 0 0%
#9 David Reynolds Erebus Holden 1 2.44%
#12 Fabian Coulthard DJRTP Ford 1 2.44%
#14 Tim Slade BJR Holden 0 0%
#15 Rick Kelly NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#17 Scott McLaughlin DJRTP Ford 22 53.66%
#18 Lee Holdsworth Team18 Holden 0 0%
#19 Jack Le Brocq Tekno Holden 0 0%
#21 Tim Blanchard TBR Holden 0 0%
#23 Michael Caruso NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#25 James Courtney WAU Holden 1 2.44%
#33 Garth Tander GRM Holden 0 0%
#34 James Golding GRM Holden 0 0%
#35 Todd Hazelwood MSR Ford 0 0%
#55 Chaz Mostert Tickford Ford 4 9.76%
#56 Richie Stanaway Tickford Ford 1 2.44%
#78 Simona de Silvestro NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#97 Shane van Gisbergen RBHRT Holden 2 4.88%
#99 Anton de Pasquale Erebus Holden 1 2.44%
#230 Will Davison 23RED Ford 0 0%
#888 Craig Lowndes ALR Holden 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 Aug 2017, 07:29 (Ref:3758752)   #676
FPV8U
Racer

Australia
3rd Rock from the Sun.
FPV8U should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chaz is very much in the title battle and the only real threat on pace outside of T8 and DjrTP winning every race is PRA.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 07:31 (Ref:3758753)   #677
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And one of only a few teams to actually win a race in 2017. With real race pace too.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 08:09 (Ref:3758764)   #678
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
When there is someone of the calibre of Mr Stanaway in the wings at PRA, maybe the journeyman who owns the REC should take the opportunity to step down with grace but then again he DOES own the REC and he is certainly not down to the level of a Thexton.
If he's got a contract, and the sponsors are willing to put money into him behind the wheel, why stop if he's still enjoying it? You're a long time retired afterall

stepping down with "grace" is just a vanity thing, a driver should only stop when he wants or (or if no one is willing to put him in a seat)
Old 11 Aug 2017, 08:21 (Ref:3758765)   #679
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
If he's got a contract, and the sponsors are willing to put money into him behind the wheel, why stop if he's still enjoying it? You're a long time retired afterall

stepping down with "grace" is just a vanity thing, a driver should only stop when he wants or (or if no one is willing to put him in a seat)
As the owner of the REC he of course has a contract (with himself). Agree on sponsors, if he can fund his team with himself driving, then fair play.

On the other hand, having a driver with what appears to be some special talent available would provide the ageing Driver/Owner the opportunity to step down with some grace (dignity) to give someone special a "go" rather than running the risk of being the butt of jokes in comparison to the other 3 PRA driver performances.

Any professional driver should be able to self-evaluate dispassionately and you'd think that Mr Bright would be considering how long he should keep driving. There is an opportunity to put someone with promise in his car for 2018 but if he chooses to stay on, as the team owner that is his call.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 08:27 (Ref:3758766)   #680
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
As the owner of the REC he of course has a contract (with himself). Agree on sponsors, if he can fund his team with himself driving, then fair play.

On the other hand, having a driver with what appears to be some special talent available would provide the ageing Driver/Owner the opportunity to step down with some grace (dignity) to give someone special a "go" rather than running the risk of being the butt of jokes in comparison to the other 3 PRA driver performances.

Any professional driver should be able to self-evaluate dispassionately and you'd think that Mr Bright would be considering how long he should keep driving. There is an opportunity to put someone with promise in his car for 2018 but if he chooses to stay on, as the team owner that is his call.
In some ways, having a REC income not dependent on performance means there is no push for change..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 11 Aug 2017, 08:42 (Ref:3758769)   #681
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
mceci1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post

That's the problem, people expect him to retire for the young guns, but what young guns are there that are truly ready and not already connected to another team. Hazlewood and the MWM drivers are linked to their teams looking at a 2018 debut as a team. PRA also need stability, which they haven't had in car of the future in terms of the 4th entry. A REC and driver there for a little longer like Bright will help them, and they need help. We can sit here and say 'but Chaz is in title contention' at this stage and given PRA's inconsistency, he isn't. Yes he has scored 2 wins, but their form is like a see saw, its up and down.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 08:50 (Ref:3758770)   #682
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mceci1 View Post
That's the problem, people expect him to retire for the young guns, but what young guns are there that are truly ready and not already connected to another team. Hazlewood and the MWM drivers are linked to their teams looking at a 2018 debut as a team. PRA also need stability, which they haven't had in car of the future in terms of the 4th entry. A REC and driver there for a little longer like Bright will help them, and they need help. We can sit here and say 'but Chaz is in title contention' at this stage and given PRA's inconsistency, he isn't. Yes he has scored 2 wins, but their form is like a see saw, its up and down.
twice as many wins as jamie.

Im not sure how anyone can write Chaz off at this stage. If you are you are saying that only Jamie or Scott can win from here

but as for Jason Bright. It was time to go last eyar, nothing has changed, last year he finished 17th, this year he is currently 21st
Old 11 Aug 2017, 09:32 (Ref:3758780)   #683
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
In some ways, having a REC income not dependent on performance means there is no push for change..
Agree in many ways, it is after all effectively his train set and if he wants to keep driving, then good on him.

I'm not saying that he should retire but he's at the point in his career where age and performance would be starting to having him at least think about it.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 10:12 (Ref:3758787)   #684
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
twice as many wins as jamie.

Im not sure how anyone can write Chaz off at this stage. If you are you are saying that only Jamie or Scott can win from here

but as for Jason Bright. It was time to go last eyar, nothing has changed, last year he finished 17th, this year he is currently 21st
The thing is, Triple 8 and DJRTP have been consistently in the 10. I am a Chaz fan, but I cant see PRA winning the title this year. I can see a possible top 3, but a title is hard. Bathurst, maybe as Chaz reminds me a little of Lowndes at the mountain, always strong. Chaz's biggest rear threat is Lowndes, we know the Lowndes back end form, he has a lot of strong tracks.

Last edited by mceci1; 11 Aug 2017 at 10:23.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 10:14 (Ref:3758789)   #685
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Agree in many ways, it is after all effectively his train set and if he wants to keep driving, then good on him.

I'm not saying that he should retire but he's at the point in his career where age and performance would be starting to having him at least think about it.
I think he may be playing the game of experience. Frosty and Bright are a big asset to PRA, they need stability in the 4th REC and I think Brighty can provide it. He seems loyal enough to a team too, BJR he was with for 6 years, his own team for 3. Possibly FPR for longer if it panned out differently
Old 13 Aug 2017, 00:22 (Ref:3759068)   #686
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That's the problem, people expect him to retire for the young guns, but what young guns are there that are truly ready and not already connected to another team.
*Cough* Richie Stanaway

Aaaaaaannnnndddd, wait for it, he's already connected to the team!!!!
Old 13 Aug 2017, 04:08 (Ref:3759075)   #687
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He said "truly ready".
Old 13 Aug 2017, 04:32 (Ref:3759078)   #688
Go Harder.
Racer

Australia
Somewhere in the sticks...
Go Harder. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In what way is Stanaway not ready?
Old 13 Aug 2017, 04:39 (Ref:3759082)   #689
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
*Cough* Richie Stanaway

Aaaaaaannnnndddd, wait for it, he's already connected to the team!!!!
To a degree he is ready, but a year in development couldn't hurt. How he goes this upcoming event will determine what he does. No one is absolute ready by racing 4 races and coming back the next year. We have seen Dahlgren, he is a good driver, yet struggled. Stanaway would be more then aware of the process, as would French and Nash, hopefully, and I'd say It will, common sense prevails and do the right thing by their driver. There are a lot of critics who will smash him if he went in next year, and either get called a pay driver or spoilt or the rest, just like Rullo.

We need to remember too, Richie is an ENDURO expert, so there is no guarantee by jumping into the full time ship he will go well in the supersprint, that's where a year in development can help
Old 13 Aug 2017, 04:55 (Ref:3759085)   #690
T-star
Racer

T-star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say Stanaway is an expert at racing things.
Huge success in open wheelers and they aren't enduros.

He is a German F3 champion for crying out loud... same as a certain bloke called Schumacher.
Old 13 Aug 2017, 05:03 (Ref:3759086)   #691
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-star View Post
I'd say Stanaway is an expert at racing things.
Huge success in open wheelers and they aren't enduros.

He is a German F3 champion for crying out loud... same as a certain bloke called Schumacher.
Apart from the race distances the two are very much different. I'm a fan of Richie and I think a year developing and getting a feel for the series against the likes of Paul Dumbrell and a few wildcards will help, otherwise, there will be the idiotic armchair players who have never driven a race car and will bash him for bad performances, already happening to Rullo, and I think for Rullo he is doing a very good job in the worst car on the grid, yet there are some who think that
1. He is a rich spoilt brat who paid his way in
2. He is too young and doesn't use his brain
3. He is an arrogant person as is usual for younger people.

All three are so far from the truth, he isn't like the Kostecki's who did pay their way in and struggle to run go karts now. He does use his brain and keeps a very cool head when under pressure and being lapped and three, he isn't the slightest bit arrogant from what I see he is a very down to earth person, not as much as Lowndes, Winterbottom or Mostert but still willing to engage with his fans, which I don't see the likes of SVG, Todd Kelly or Rick Kelly doing too well
Old 13 Aug 2017, 05:17 (Ref:3759087)   #692
T-star
Racer

Rullo paid his way in
Old 13 Aug 2017, 06:10 (Ref:3759095)   #693
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He brought sponsors to the team.

Just like the bottom half of the grid.
Old 13 Aug 2017, 06:17 (Ref:3759099)   #694
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Rullo paid his way in
There's a difference between pay drivers with talent and pay drivers who just want to be in there

I'd consider the likes of Wall, Blanchard, Kostecki's as people who pay to be there but don't have a talent for V8 Supercars

Then there is play drivers who have talent like Stanaway, Mostert, McLaughlin, Pye, Rullo
Old 13 Aug 2017, 06:25 (Ref:3759103)   #695
T-star
Racer

I don't think you know what you are talking about
Old 13 Aug 2017, 06:26 (Ref:3759105)   #696
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
same as a certain bloke called Schumacher.
Hardly an apt comparison if one recalls Schumacher's touring car career.
Old 13 Aug 2017, 07:04 (Ref:3759107)   #697
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
I don't think you know what you are talking about
READ what I said. Its in the sentence. SOME HAVE TALENT FOR V8 SUPERCARS OTHERS DONT. Just because they don't cut in V8s doesn't mean they don't have talent. Stanaway will do well but a year in development will be beneficial. I can guarantee there will be comments hear next year if he does make it bashing him for not being on pace, yet didn't want him in a development phase. Its clear that some people love to bash rookies. Its evident all have some form of pay to their teams, even Lowndes, Whincup and SVG pay with their sponsors, but just because you pay, doesn't mean you have talent, which is what people here are ignoring and think the likes of Wall and Blanchard have talent for V8 Supercars; THEY DONT. Money speaks, most of the drivers this year I see are proving their worth, doesn't have to be in results like a lot of naïve people think. BJR, PRA, GRM are all benefiting with the element of experience. Something that if the sponsors are happy amounts to more then a result. There has been a lot of knocking towards Jason Bright, yet the fact that he qualifies within a second of the leader, and can run the car without a crash. Yes he crashed in Symmons, and may I mention, ON A DAMP TRACK WITH SLICKS. The best of the best crash, should SVG retire for crashing into Tander, NO. Should Whincup retire for hitting McLaughlin last year, NO. The point is racing drivers will push to the absolute limit, if you aren't you should just give up. When you push the limits, mistakes happen. Some errors are stupid. I haven't seen Bright make a stupid error and crash into another, but crashed when doing his job, BEING A RACE DRIVER. These people don't get paid half a million dollars to drive like an old Grandpa or Grandma, or worse like a bogan. They deserve credit, which a lot haven't scored yet. Another driver I have seen cop it from the 'I've never touched a race car but watched it on TV' people has been Simona. She is a highly talented driver, yet she cops it because (this is the most RIDICULOUS excuse given we are in 2017) she is female. ANYONE WHO USES THAT, TAKE A WOOD PLANK AND KNOCK YOURSELF ( I haven't see it hear, but it does exist in other places, and going to QR recently I heard people in the pitlane, random people, which might I add have 2 missing teeth and no idea. The fact that she hasn't had a DNF yet and is outracing others who have been in the field longer is a credit to her in itself. Yes she's 23rd, but that's with an underperforming Nissan by the teams standards coming off last year. Caruso and Rick, Nissans two lead drivers from last year are 14th and 19th respectively. Craig Lowndes, the best, second to none in driver talent (AND I DONT CARE ABOUT NUMBERS) hasn't scored a podium yet, and sits 7th. That in itself shows how hard this season is to get up the field. HE IS BY NO MEANS PAST IT. In fact I'd say he is driving better then ever to get an underperforming (A LOT) Triple 8 car up to where he is. That's not a bash at the team as they have a hell of a lot to do with the V6 and still run in title contention, so to have 3 cars in the 10 is a credit with arguably the most workload. The concern I have for Richie is if he joins the grid next year with limited V8 driving is that he will be like Bright or have worse results. If that happens, he will get destroyed by some people. The development series is a power ally for a V8 supercar up and comer. Look at Heimgartner, a bucket load of potential in that kid, and due to a combination of lack of budget, and a hammering, he didn't get a ride (DONT SAY THAT THE NAIVE PUBLIC DIDNT HAVE AN AFFECT BEAUSE IT WOULD HAVE. ITS HUMAN NATURE TO GET PUT DOWN SLIGHTLY BY STUPID PEOPLE) If anyone here says that Richie should go into the 2018 series with limited seat time and then turns around next year when he is battling a little and says he hasn't got it, look out. I'll see to it that screenshots are taken to remind anyone of this. There has been far too much driver bashing going on not just here but in a lot of places. Yes, as fans and people who are involved with teams in the sport, we are going to have some anger when something happens to those we like or are associated with. But there is no need to be a hater. I haven't seen too much hate here, but in other forums its off the scales.

On a note of the series, V8 Supercars, somehow manages to get more and more competitive year in year out, with this season the most competitive. Many records broken, some of the best racing. And some people on facebook and all the other trolling places say the series is dying. I think not, Australian motorsport in general seems to be going from strength to strength lately.

I do have knowledge on what I am talking about, if you don't believe me or be a troll I couldn't care, but my point, don't knock the drivers for bad results.

Admittedly of what I read and hear too, the majority of it isn't here, some is. But most is on the social media platforms or the V8 site itself
Notes:
BOLD is not yelling, its used for emphasis, this isn't a hostile comment, its my genuine view on what some (only a minority of the v8 community are doing) people think they can do, and its getting beyond a joke.
Old 13 Aug 2017, 07:20 (Ref:3759108)   #698
T-star
Racer

Really long post

Still don't think you know what you are talking about
Old 13 Aug 2017, 07:38 (Ref:3759109)   #699
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Really long post

Still don't think you know what you are talking about
I know what I'm talking about, I know that. I couldn't give two cares what you think. My results at school in a particular subject to do with Australian motorsport show that
Old 13 Aug 2017, 08:08 (Ref:3759113)   #700
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
READ what I said. Its in the sentence. SOME HAVE TALENT FOR V8 SUPERCARS OTHERS DONT. Just because they don't cut in V8s doesn't mean they don't have talent. Stanaway will do well but a year in development will be beneficial. I can guarantee there will be comments hear next year if he does make it bashing him for not being on pace, yet didn't want him in a development phase. Its clear that some people love to bash rookies. Its evident all have some form of pay to their teams, even Lowndes, Whincup and SVG pay with their sponsors, but just because you pay, doesn't mean you have talent, which is what people here are ignoring and think the likes of Wall and Blanchard have talent for V8 Supercars; THEY DONT. Money speaks, most of the drivers this year I see are proving their worth, doesn't have to be in results like a lot of naïve people think. BJR, PRA, GRM are all benefiting with the element of experience. Something that if the sponsors are happy amounts to more then a result. There has been a lot of knocking towards Jason Bright, yet the fact that he qualifies within a second of the leader, and can run the car without a crash. Yes he crashed in Symmons, and may I mention, ON A DAMP TRACK WITH SLICKS. The best of the best crash, should SVG retire for crashing into Tander, NO. Should Whincup retire for hitting McLaughlin last year, NO. The point is racing drivers will push to the absolute limit, if you aren't you should just give up. When you push the limits, mistakes happen. Some errors are stupid. I haven't seen Bright make a stupid error and crash into another, but crashed when doing his job, BEING A RACE DRIVER. These people don't get paid half a million dollars to drive like an old Grandpa or Grandma, or worse like a bogan. They deserve credit, which a lot haven't scored yet. Another driver I have seen cop it from the 'I've never touched a race car but watched it on TV' people has been Simona. She is a highly talented driver, yet she cops it because (this is the most RIDICULOUS excuse given we are in 2017) she is female. ANYONE WHO USES THAT, TAKE A WOOD PLANK AND KNOCK YOURSELF ( I haven't see it hear, but it does exist in other places, and going to QR recently I heard people in the pitlane, random people, which might I add have 2 missing teeth and no idea. The fact that she hasn't had a DNF yet and is outracing others who have been in the field longer is a credit to her in itself. Yes she's 23rd, but that's with an underperforming Nissan by the teams standards coming off last year. Caruso and Rick, Nissans two lead drivers from last year are 14th and 19th respectively. Craig Lowndes, the best, second to none in driver talent (AND I DONT CARE ABOUT NUMBERS) hasn't scored a podium yet, and sits 7th. That in itself shows how hard this season is to get up the field. HE IS BY NO MEANS PAST IT. In fact I'd say he is driving better then ever to get an underperforming (A LOT) Triple 8 car up to where he is. That's not a bash at the team as they have a hell of a lot to do with the V6 and still run in title contention, so to have 3 cars in the 10 is a credit with arguably the most workload. The concern I have for Richie is if he joins the grid next year with limited V8 driving is that he will be like Bright or have worse results. If that happens, he will get destroyed by some people. The development series is a power ally for a V8 supercar up and comer. Look at Heimgartner, a bucket load of potential in that kid, and due to a combination of lack of budget, and a hammering, he didn't get a ride (DONT SAY THAT THE NAIVE PUBLIC DIDNT HAVE AN AFFECT BEAUSE IT WOULD HAVE. ITS HUMAN NATURE TO GET PUT DOWN SLIGHTLY BY STUPID PEOPLE) If anyone here says that Richie should go into the 2018 series with limited seat time and then turns around next year when he is battling a little and says he hasn't got it, look out. I'll see to it that screenshots are taken to remind anyone of this. There has been far too much driver bashing going on not just here but in a lot of places. Yes, as fans and people who are involved with teams in the sport, we are going to have some anger when something happens to those we like or are associated with. But there is no need to be a hater. I haven't seen too much hate here, but in other forums its off the scales.

On a note of the series, V8 Supercars, somehow manages to get more and more competitive year in year out, with this season the most competitive. Many records broken, some of the best racing. And some people on facebook and all the other trolling places say the series is dying. I think not, Australian motorsport in general seems to be going from strength to strength lately.

I do have knowledge on what I am talking about, if you don't believe me or be a troll I couldn't care, but my point, don't knock the drivers for bad results.

Admittedly of what I read and hear too, the majority of it isn't here, some is. But most is on the social media platforms or the V8 site itself
Notes:
BOLD is not yelling, its used for emphasis, this isn't a hostile comment, its my genuine view on what some (only a minority of the v8 community are doing) people think they can do, and its getting beyond a joke.
I'd have to agree on Stanaway doing a year in Super2. I cant see him getting a main game drive next year so a year in Super2 could actually work out well for him. He learns the car (yes I know hes shown pace but miles under the belt always helps) and the tracks. If he comes out next year and belts everyone, it'll strengthen his case for a seat in the top series.

Don' t take any notice of people with missing teeth at QR, if they're not there then you're not at QR. Stay classy Ipswich.

Enough with the yelling.

Its quite well known that BOLD means yelling or ANGER online..turn off the caps lock mate. Nothing wrong with passion but hey you can get your point across without screaming at someone in that matter.

Look at Peckstar he's a pro at tearing other peoples posts apart and insulting them-all without using caps lock. Hows that for skill?