Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 1 Sep 2017, 19:17 (Ref:3763511)   #2876
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
....after which he was chased by Lorraine.....?
What are you dong here anyway?
Old 1 Sep 2017, 19:21 (Ref:3763513)   #2877
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I'll take that as an intended Spike Milligna........
Old 1 Sep 2017, 19:40 (Ref:3763519)   #2878
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
*ding*
Old 1 Sep 2017, 19:53 (Ref:3763523)   #2879
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

You've dropped a clanger Bob! Must have been over-excitement thinking about Lorraine...
Old 2 Sep 2017, 06:42 (Ref:3763676)   #2880
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You see? A Formula 1 fan causing me trouble on the Historic Section. It's just not fair.

Jibes about the local airport, people smirking at my discomfort, scoffing at my humble means of transport!

To quote 'Charlie Brown'

"Why is everybody always picking on me?"
Old 2 Sep 2017, 07:34 (Ref:3763682)   #2881
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I had the displeasure of Gatwick in May, fortunately the destination was better (Bologna) The return trip was a pleasure until 5 minutes after touchdown. Gatwick Terminus is an extremely unpleasant sprawl of dated tatty rat runs and its only going to get worse. over an hour to get out of the place. I seem to recall regularly checking in and out in 30 minutes or less 15-20 years ago.

This is more my kind of airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Gatwick runs it close though.
Attached Thumbnails
Shoreham airport inside.jpg   Shm airport.jpg  
Old 2 Sep 2017, 08:02 (Ref:3763687)   #2882
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:

To quote 'Charlie Brown'

Do we really need to tell you?
Old 2 Sep 2017, 08:36 (Ref:3763695)   #2883
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I had the displeasure of Gatwick in May, fortunately the destination was better (Bologna) The return trip was a pleasure until 5 minutes after touchdown. Gatwick Terminus is an extremely unpleasant sprawl of dated tatty rat runs and its only going to get worse. over an hour to get out of the place. I seem to recall regularly checking in and out in 30 minutes or less 15-20 years ago.

People tend to criticise Heathrow but for me it's one of the best there is. Schipol involves much walking. Heathrow with its terminals reduces walking distances. Sometimes things go wrong such as check in computers but those things happen regularly at other airports around the world too.

But as you say Gatwick needs demolishing and rebuilding.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 08:42 (Ref:3763696)   #2884
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
People tend to criticise Heathrow but for me it's one of the best there is. Schipol involves much walking. Heathrow with its terminals reduces walking distances. Sometimes things go wrong such as check in computers but those things happen regularly at other airports around the world too.

But as you say Gatwick needs demolishing and rebuilding.
Come and fly from Luton sometime, you will then be glad to get back to Gatwick etc.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 09:06 (Ref:3763700)   #2885
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You see? A Formula 1 fan causing me trouble on the Historic Section. It's just not fair.

Jibes about the local airport, people smirking at my discomfort, scoffing at my humble means of transport!

To quote 'Charlie Brown'

Because he's a clown ..........
Old 2 Sep 2017, 09:20 (Ref:3763702)   #2886
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Because he's a clown ..........
I Coasted into that one .......................!
Old 2 Sep 2017, 09:40 (Ref:3763705)   #2887
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Come and fly from Luton sometime, you will then be glad to get back to Gatwick etc.
Oddly enough in a previous life I used to fly Luton Schipol weekly. I understand from various people that Luton has got worse. My least favourite UK airport is Stanstead an awful place.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 10:15 (Ref:3763717)   #2888
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My least favourite airport used to be Heathrow. You had to walk along wooden duckboards to get to the check-in tents, before more duckboards to the tarmac where a gleaming Douglas DC3 would be awaiting. Mind you, although it seems just like yesterday, it was nearly 70 years ago.

Always liked Schipol; first airport that I can remember where you could get a shower whilst waiting for a connecting flight. And compared to many other airports around the world, it was an airy, uncrowded place. Compared to some other airports that I used to fly into on a fairly regular basis in the 80s, it was almost heavenly.

Also flew from Northolt when it was still one of London's commercial airports, even though it was under the control of the MOD.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 10:25 (Ref:3763720)   #2889
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I hope you're not calling me a Formula 1 fan? I feel most affronted........
Old 2 Sep 2017, 11:16 (Ref:3763733)   #2890
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Quote:
My least favourite UK airport is Stanstead an awful place.
I second that - it's a g*d awful place. I was there in July for the first time in a few years and the recent refurbishments there are all centred on getting passengers to go through the shopping and 'Duty Free' (what a joke) areas to the total detriment of an easy flow to the lounges and gate areas. The absolute pits.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 11:33 (Ref:3763740)   #2891
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
I second that - it's a g*d awful place. I was there in July for the first time in a few years and the recent refurbishments there are all centred on getting passengers to go through the shopping and 'Duty Free' (what a joke) areas to the total detriment of an easy flow to the lounges and gate areas. The absolute pits.
The Chief Exec. of Stansted was on TV the other night & was asked if it was true that Stansted is now a shopping centre with an airport attached; the gist of his response was that it is what the customer wants...
Old 2 Sep 2017, 11:47 (Ref:3763747)   #2892
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
The Chief Exec. of Stansted was on TV the other night & was asked if it was true that Stansted is now a shopping centre with an airport attached; the gist of his response was that it is what the customer wants...
Although what he says is somewhat disingenuous, it is has a basis in the truth.

Passengers want airline ticket prices to be kept at their lowest, and one way to help achieve that aim is for airports to make as much profit from sales outlets, thus being able to keep landing and aircraft parking fees low.

Too many passengers cannot fathom this out. They seem to be quite happy to spend, spend, spend in the retail and food/drink outlets, yet begrudge paying an extra £3 or so to have a pre-allocated seat so that couples/families can sit together.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 11:49 (Ref:3763751)   #2893
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Yeh, and if there's a traffic problem on the M11 it's almost always in the area of the Stansted junctions. Oh, and it now takes longer to get in and out of the Birchanger services at the junction than it does to charge an EV up in the car park, drink a Starbucks and use the washroom....

We need a Stansted by-pass. Campaign! (Or move it offshore. )
Old 2 Sep 2017, 11:57 (Ref:3763758)   #2894
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
What a load of bo**ocks.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 12:21 (Ref:3763765)   #2895
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Yeh, and if there's a traffic problem on the M11 it's almost always in the area of the Stansted junctions. Oh, and it now takes longer to get in and out of the Birchanger services at the junction than it does to charge an EV up in the car park, drink a Starbucks and use the washroom....

We need a Stansted by-pass. Campaign! (Or move it offshore. )

How about a flyover?
Old 2 Sep 2017, 13:00 (Ref:3763778)   #2896
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I hope you're not calling me a Formula 1 fan? I feel most affronted........
Well Ace, you have chided me often enough over a certain celebrity on the F1 bit for you to qualify as a fan. A pejorative term I agree, but is up to you prove me wrong and be upgraded to 'enthusiast' in my estimation.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 13:25 (Ref:3763789)   #2897
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:

You can't check in anywhere now in 30minutes, security has put paid to that and as for getting out of Gatwick, It's never taken me more than 20 minutes from plane to car, you need to walk a bit faster.

Quote:
People tend to criticise Heathrow but for me it's one of the best there is.
Heathrow may be nice but it's on the wrong side of London and too difficult to get to.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 14:06 (Ref:3763802)   #2898
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Well, a racing friend who jets off over the pond quite frequently, still reckons Gatwick is better than Heathrow. I think there was some shuffling going on so that sqeezyjet use one terminal and BA move to another?
Old 2 Sep 2017, 14:08 (Ref:3763803)   #2899
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
You can't check in anywhere now in 30minutes, security has put paid to that and as for getting out of Gatwick, It's never taken me more than 20 minutes from plane to car, you need to walk a bit faster.

30 minutes in a snake to get through passport control . . . . why its not done on a smaller scale multiple times as opposed to shoving everyone through one corridor is beyond me.
Old 2 Sep 2017, 14:23 (Ref:3763806)   #2900
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
30 minutes in a snake to get through passport control . . . . why its not done on a smaller scale multiple times as opposed to shoving everyone through one corridor is beyond me.

Geneva was far worse, but I haven't been for 10 years so it might well have changed.
Closed Thread