Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jun 2005, 15:58 (Ref:1326408)   #1
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When should Michael Schumacher retire?

This poor man is the subject of constant and endless speculation as to when he might be throwing in the old towel and calling it a Tag, but when do you think it will (was?) the best time for him to retire?

Has he seen better days, are we yet to see some more magical stuff from the German Wunderkind?

Keep it clean and don't let's get personal.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 15:59 (Ref:1326409)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It matters little to me. He's achieved far more than he probably ever thought possible and has more money than mere mortals could ever dream of. Who knows, with a season like he's had so far, you could be watching his last season? Or would he want to go out with a bang rather than a whimper?
Old 12 Jun 2005, 16:10 (Ref:1326417)   #3
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
probably won't happen, but i'd like to see him try other forms of motorsport when he does leave f1, especially going back to sportscars.
i still think he has a lot of fight left in him yet though, the car might not be the best this year but at most races that hasn't stopped him trying his hardest, so i see him sticking around for a couple more years yet.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 16:12 (Ref:1326419)   #4
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He's not a favourite driver of mine, but I'm pleased to see him sticking it out in tougher racing conditions this year.

The fact is he's got extreme skill such that he hasn't gone off the boil, so it's perfectly right for him to carry on if he's feeling it. The whole "retiring on a high point" thing would be ideal obviously, but is not necessary. He's getting a lot of racing done this year.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 16:24 (Ref:1326429)   #5
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
DĂĽsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To me, it's much more honoring not just leaving with a championship but giving others the chance to beat him.
A title while MS is still racing is worth more than being the first after he retired.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 16:30 (Ref:1326433)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logrence
This poor man is the subject of constant and endless speculation as to when he might be throwing in the old towel and calling it a
Sorry what a great way to start such a thread.

The answer is obvious to me though. He should retire when he wants to.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 16:37 (Ref:1326439)   #7
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
He will know when it is time, right now he is still having fun, Michael is way to pragmatic to continue past his time, at the moment he is still extreemly competitive. I would like to see him later being involved in running a team, now I DON"T mean owning one
Old 12 Jun 2005, 16:39 (Ref:1326441)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
I DON"T mean owning one
Why not? He could afford it.......
Old 12 Jun 2005, 16:51 (Ref:1326449)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Why not? He could afford it.......

Remember Prost Grand Prix..
Old 12 Jun 2005, 16:40 (Ref:1326444)   #10
richard_sykes
Racer

Wales
Wales, Uk
richard_sykes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see no need for this to happen very soon. He was outstanding last her, Ferrari where hit hard with new regualtions and now seem to be comming back abit.

Lets hope he stays around a bit longer.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1326452)   #11
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Michael should retire when he feels that he doesn't perform anymore.

Right now, Michael is still the best driver around although i suspect no longer at his ultimate peak form. We see, and will start to see, some races where he looks only to be at 90%, make a couple of mistakes more per year.

But Michael is a competitive person, and more importantly love what he does now. He's so comfortable with Ferrari and with racing in F1, that his motivation is virtually insulated from short stints of poor performance. He wants to keep trying to prove others wrong, and we see stunning performances from him time and time again.

MS is still very much a top ranked driver.

When he leaves F1, F1 would be a poorer place. He'd leave a void among the quality of drivers which would be hard to replace. But to be fair to any upcoming stars, ie Kimi, Alonso... i think it is unfair to them to say that winning without MS around devalue their championship worth. To me, even if MS retired last season and some other drivers won WDC this year, it would be as deserved as when MS is around.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 19:09 (Ref:1326516)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He'll go when he is good and ready. He was dogged today, and as far as could be seen, made no mistakes (unlike those around him), and when he smelt a chance of victory he pushed Kimi to the line in a car which really wasn't expected to be in contention (despite his demon qualifying). This guy is still hungry and competitive; he loves it - why would he want to go? A true champion!
Old 12 Jun 2005, 19:19 (Ref:1326544)   #13
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He'll go when he is ready. He may actually leave earlier than we think; he is a family man and may decide that the risk is not worth it anymore. He'll be more than capable of driving the wheels off the thing still, just not willing to risk it all...

I think eventually you'll see him doing some form of racing - whether just racing go-karts for fun or something official... You sense with him it's more about the competition than anything; it would be good to see him at Le Mans or maybe WTCS...
Old 12 Jun 2005, 19:23 (Ref:1326556)   #14
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ms

I don't see any reason for him to retire except if he is tired of racing which he is not. We are seeing some of his best stuff right now with him struggling with a slower car to try to win podiums and races. I for one think he is doing a great job in the Ferrarie as is Rubens. It reminds me of the 1993 season where Senna had a much more underpowered Ford Mclaren and he was beating Micheal and Prost who had much more superior cars. Real Champions show how great they are in slower cars sometimes. I think we would all be talking about this if he had managed to get around Alonso at Italy and Kimi today for the wins.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 19:24 (Ref:1326560)   #15
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What is the normal "shelf life" for a F1 champion or other top F1 driver? In NASCAR top drivers retire when they approach 50 years old. Dale Earnhardt was 49 years old and still finished a strong second in the NASCAR standings in 2000. I have heard that F1 drivers retire much earlier but I am curious as to what the general age range is for the retirement of top F1 drivers.

I would like to see Schumacher, DC, and of course, JV continue to race in F1 for several more years.
Old 5 Aug 2010, 15:27 (Ref:2739886)   #16
mrchrisdavies
Rookie

mrchrisdavies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to see him retire at the end of the season...no now! seriously! He should never have comeback.

However, in a more constructive thought principle...if I were him I would carry on for say another 4 or 5 years, like Rubens has done for example. I dont feel MS has anything like what he had before. What he still has though is good driving ability and that aggresive edge (which he will never lose) If he can control his stupid driving and arrogance and get a good car he could still in with a shout at winning another championship one day. At the minute however he still seems to be in self distruct mode.

I was beginning to like him a little bit until he came back. Now I remember why I hated him and how he made me almost stop watching F1 altogether!
Old 5 Aug 2010, 15:31 (Ref:2739889)   #17
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Chris,

Just out of curiosity. Whom is your favorite driver and why? Sorry to hi-jack the thread guys!
Old 12 Jun 2005, 19:37 (Ref:1326596)   #18
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Age of Retirement for Average F1 Driver

The average age retirment can be anywhere from 34 to 38. I believe Mansel was 38 when he won the championship and 39 or 40 when he retired in his last race with Mclaren at Monaco but I believe Micheal can drive till he is about 38 because of his work out and his just natural talent.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 08:39 (Ref:1328079)   #19
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for the response, xpunk75.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 23:55 (Ref:1328858)   #20
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He should swap seats with Valentino Rossi end of this year

Seriously tho, I see him racing next year as his last. By then, unless Ferrari come back with a vengeance, he might be inclined to do something else for a while.

And in ten years or so...

Team Schumacher joins F1!
Old 12 Jun 2005, 19:48 (Ref:1326617)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
End of this season, head held high.

He can still do it, but time to make way for the next generations.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 22:30 (Ref:1326828)   #22
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's got nothing left to prove, but would he really leave before next year? I think he'll want to win the title once more to leave on a high note. It'll rankle if he gets beaten this season and leaves.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 00:45 (Ref:1327861)   #23
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whenever he wants - he drove a fantastic race in Canada and for the large part has been brilliant this season.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 13:33 (Ref:2737315)   #24
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Schumacher of old wouldn't have let Webber past going so slowly (he was too shap). In fact, the Schumacher of old wouldn't have done anything so slowly.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 13:34 (Ref:2737317)   #25
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As soon as Rubens passes him.