Old 25 Feb 2024, 00:56 (Ref:4198151)   #26
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanozDP01 View Post
Oscar might not be a total pushover when it comes to team orders.
That was kind of the point, he will be unfazed.
I agree Aysedasi, critical
Old 25 Feb 2024, 07:38 (Ref:4198182)   #27
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Everyone was predicting a carambolage between the French drivers at the French team last year - didn't happen to the extent expected but maybe 2024 could be the year?
Old 25 Feb 2024, 10:58 (Ref:4198195)   #28
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That is such a great word, carambolage. One of those words that you'd like to be able to use every day......
Old 25 Feb 2024, 12:44 (Ref:4198211)   #29
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
That is such a great word, carambolage. One of those words that you'd like to be able to use every day......
Yes, it's a pearler alright - and so very, very, well French.
Old 25 Feb 2024, 12:46 (Ref:4198212)   #30
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Yes, it's a pearler alright - and so very, very, well French.
Mais oui! C'est ça!
Old 25 Feb 2024, 13:12 (Ref:4198214)   #31
PanozDP01
Rookie

PanozDP01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Everyone was predicting a carambolage between the French drivers at the French team last year - didn't happen to the extent expected but maybe 2024 could be the year?
Gasly said he did all the heavy lifting to make the relationship work in 2023. And he's not going to do that in 24.
Old 25 Feb 2024, 16:08 (Ref:4198230)   #32
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Gasly said he did all the heavy lifting to make the relationship work in 2023. And he's not going to do that in 24.
Yep - the tension is building - bit of a pout from Gasly so far, no doubt extensive shrugging to come along with more pouting - maybe they'll work it out but it feels more like we're heading for: pif!! paf!! carambolage!!
Old 2 Mar 2024, 20:33 (Ref:4199605)   #33
PanozDP01
Rookie

And after the first race , by far the biggest clash was between Riccardo and Tsunoda. There was some iffy team orders. Then at the end , Tsonoda overtook him on the cool down lap and brake checked him. And Riccardo said "What the f#ck. I'll save it. He's a f#cking helmet"
Old 2 Mar 2024, 21:39 (Ref:4199621)   #34
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
And after the first race , by far the biggest clash was between Riccardo and Tsunoda. There was some iffy team orders. Then at the end , Tsonoda overtook him on the cool down lap and brake checked him. And Riccardo said "What the f#ck. I'll save it. He's a f#cking helmet"
So when I have watched team activity videos put out by AT (now VCARB) I have thought I have noticed a bit of annoyance in Tsunoda towards Ricciardo. I get the feeling that Ricciardo treats him in a bit of a "ruffle your hair" and "pinch your cheek" big brother kind of way. I think this is somewhat aggravated by Ricciardo's gregarious personality. I think sometime Tsunoda gets treated like a child due to his size and I can imagine it might annoy him. And he seems pretty ferocious and sometimes hot headed on track. It's a pairing worth watching this season.

Richard
Old 2 Mar 2024, 22:16 (Ref:4199635)   #35
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
So when I have watched team activity videos put out by AT (now VCARB) I have thought I have noticed a bit of annoyance in Tsunoda towards Ricciardo. I get the feeling that Ricciardo treats him in a bit of a "ruffle your hair" and "pinch your cheek" big brother kind of way. I think this is somewhat aggravated by Ricciardo's gregarious personality. I think sometime Tsunoda gets treated like a child due to his size and I can imagine it might annoy him. And he seems pretty ferocious and sometimes hot headed on track. It's a pairing worth watching this season.

Richard
I actually think this is the most volatile of all team situations in 2024 and for several reasons.
Tsunoda has pretty well-matched Ricciardo in every race since DR's return after his injury in the Dutch GP last year with the exception of Mexico where DR was on fire.
Personally I'd have been happy to see Liam take the seat rather than DR.
Tsunoda has fought the whole way through his career to get to F1 and he does have speed. Perhaps that never say die, never give up, personality is why he is so verbally ferocious.

But the team orders were off the wall and if DR is favoured by Red Bull to the extent that Tsunoda is simply a Honda afterthought then my sympathy is with Tsunoda entirely.
Either way, if DP can't run away from Tsunoda on track then despite RB feelings towards him it doesn't say much for RB if he actually does replace Checo next year. Again Id rather see Liam take the Perez seat than DR.

And if you think I'm being hard on DR, I actually chose him for my 2024 fantasy team, ScapeGoat Racing, and defended him in 2022 while he was at McLaren.
Having said that, if DR cant run away from YT during the year and Yuki actually gets the better of him Yuki may replace him in my fantasy team.
I'd like Stroll to replace him but the FTTFOF don't allow it.

As far as Gasly and Ocon are concerned, both GP winners in different circumstances, the history would team to indicate that the combo is not conducive to helping a team survive a difficult development time and given Gasly's reported comments tensions will flare up at some point in 2024.
Old 3 Mar 2024, 00:22 (Ref:4199649)   #36
PanozDP01
Rookie

Quote:
If I was RB , i wouldn't have made the team orders. That one moment got the whole relationship on the back foot.

I agree that it must be annoying for Tsunoda. It's disrespectful even if it's meant to be playful. Especially when it's coming from other F1 drivers. The only one of them with some size is Hulkenberg.

Anyway , they will patch it up with some PR talk. But this is a death match between them. And it's close.
Old 3 Mar 2024, 13:41 (Ref:4199727)   #37
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's interesting how often team orders seem to go down so badly betwen drivers who have supposedly understood the team's pre-arranged stance. I've never been a fan of them, but how would Tsunoda have felt had the shoe been on the other foot? Ricciardo may have got by Magnussen had he moved over earlier before the softs lost performance. Tsunoda sacrificed honour for the team in favour of laying down a marker (and having a swipe at Ricciardo on the so-called cool-down lap).

The problem is to be a bit of a jerk and get away with it, you have to be faster, like Verstappen did.
Old 3 Mar 2024, 13:46 (Ref:4199728)   #38
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
It's interesting how often team orders seem to go down so badly betwen drivers who have supposedly understood the team's pre-arranged stance. I've never been a fan of them, but how would Tsunoda have felt had the shoe been on the other foot? Ricciardo may have got by Magnussen had he moved over earlier before the softs lost performance. Tsunoda sacrificed honour for the team in favour of laying down a marker (and having a swipe at Ricciardo on the so-called cool-down lap).

The problem is to be a bit of a jerk and get away with it, you have to be faster, like Verstappen did.
Trouble is, there seemed to be zero evidence that Ricciardo was going to have any more success than his team mate. If I had been Yuki, I would certainly have posed the question and I wouldn't have been any quicker in moving over. First race of the season to impose team orders for a largely unimportant position at that stage of the race? No, the only thing it was likely to achieve was animosity between the drivers which they should have realised. A thoroughly dumb management decision. (IMO).
Old 3 Mar 2024, 13:54 (Ref:4199729)   #39
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, yes, the more they do that, they will also reduce their chances to see who is the better racing driver. Maybe stoking the competitive spirit isn't a bad thing.

Either way, I suppose they thought Ricciardo would have a superior pace advantage. Where do you draw the line with such orders, though?

Unimportant? You could argue that, or you could argue it was a points chance.
Old 3 Mar 2024, 15:13 (Ref:4199734)   #40
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
The trouble is, there seems to be an assumption that just because he has the experience and race wins, Daniel is (in some minds at least) the #1 there, but IMO there is precious little to choose between them. In reality there were zero points hanging on the decision hence creating friction at the opening GP of the season has to go down (again IMO) as a seriously stupid and counterproductive thing to do... It may be difficult to repair the damage....
Old 3 Mar 2024, 23:17 (Ref:4199797)   #41
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So Yuki taking his anger out on DR on the cooldown lap is not a good look. It's not DR's fault that the team asked Yuki to pull aside. It seems Yuki is on par with DR on track, maybe even better. But... DR is a winner when it comes to overall commercial marketability. Everyone loves DR. Yuki just comes across as an immature child at times. All things being equal (performance in the car), DR is going to come out on top given his marketability. I really like Yuki, but he needs to get his head screwed on. The right answer on Saturday was to have pushed back some, allowed DR to pass and then stay right on his tail. Then... have a serious and professional conversation with the team, in private, later.

I also don't think either of them are going to get the second RBR seat anytime soon.

Richard
Old 4 Mar 2024, 09:27 (Ref:4199836)   #42
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:

I also don't think either of them are going to get the second RBR seat anytime soon.
That I certainly agree with. It would make zero sense.
Old 4 Mar 2024, 11:31 (Ref:4199867)   #43
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So Yuki taking his anger out on DR on the cooldown lap is not a good look. It's not DR's fault that the team asked Yuki to pull aside. It seems Yuki is on par with DR on track, maybe even better. But... DR is a winner when it comes to overall commercial marketability. Everyone loves DR. Yuki just comes across as an immature child at times. All things being equal (performance in the car), DR is going to come out on top given his marketability. I really like Yuki, but he needs to get his head screwed on. The right answer on Saturday was to have pushed back some, allowed DR to pass and then stay right on his tail. Then... have a serious and professional conversation with the team, in private, later.

Richard
Im a full on DR Fan as he comes from my town but totally agree with everything you have suggested here.
Old 4 Mar 2024, 11:37 (Ref:4199869)   #44
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
He’s good Ricciardo, but there’s still too many question marks over him, despite his talent
Old 5 Mar 2024, 19:40 (Ref:4200137)   #45
Guthrie
Rookie

United States
Atlanta
Guthrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sainz & Leclerc
Ricciardo & Tsunoda
Old 5 Mar 2024, 19:50 (Ref:4200139)   #46
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i found Vasseur's comments of Sainz' approach to be quite refreshing and very much the opposite of the typical team principle stuff we get downplaying such behaviour, talking team first, canned responses any time their drivers get close to each other on track.

hopefully he lets his drivers fight it out for the remainder of the season...heck it sounds like he wants them to battle it out on track! great stuff imo.

Asked about how Sainz has processed the news, and how impressed he was with his race-day showing, Vasseur said: “Honestly, I was convinced that he would have this kind of reaction. It’s also why we decided to do the announcement quite early to turn the page and to be focused on this season.

“The reaction of Carlos was more than professional that he said, ‘Okay, I have one year to go, I will do my best from the first corner to the last corner of the season.’

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...wHbBXzwyG.html