Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Sep 2009, 16:01 (Ref:2551330)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 2009 Round 15 - 年日本グランプリ (XXXV Japanese GP), Suzuka

The week after the Singapore Grand Prix, the 60th season of Formula One continues at one of the world's greatest race tracks. Suzuka in the Mie Prefecture of Japan, as designed by John Hugenholtz in 1962 is a rare beast in motor racing - a circuit with not only a selection of challenging fast corners and figure-of-eight layout.

There is another key factor at this circuit. The weather here is unpredictable. Autosport claim that there is a realistic chance of all of Friday's three hour of free practice being a washout, in which case drivers will be challenged to set up their cars with only sixty minutes of dry weather running. If more rain comes on Saturday or Sunday we could be about to bear witness to a classic motor race.

On last Sunday in Singapore, Lewis Hamilton won his first Singapore Grand Prix and his second of the season in the rapidly improving MP4-24. However, he has not raced at Suzuka before. Could Hamilton win his third race of the year on Grand Prix motor racing's only figure of eight?

Also, could Jenson Button win the title here? He has a fifteen point lead over Brawn team-mate Rubens Barrichello. The Brazilian neds to make up five points per race on Button. A non-finish here could be catastrophic for either driver. Anything is possible at Suzuka.

JAPANESE GRAND PRIX - STATISTICS

All Formula 1 graphics courtesy of Andy Blackmore Design.

Formula 1 World Drivers Championship Standings

Pos.FlagDriver ConstructorPoints
1.Jenson ButtonBrawn-Mercedes84
2.Rubens BarrichelloBrawn-Mercedes69
3.Sebastian VettelRBR-Renault59
4.Mark WebberRBR-Renault51.5
5.Kimi RäikkönenFerrari37
6.Lewis HamiltonMcLaren-Mercedes19
7.Nico RosbergWilliams-Toyota30.5
8.Fernando AlonsoRenault26
9.Timo GlockToyota24
10.Jarno TrulliToyota22.5
11.Felipe MassaFerrari22 (3rd)
12.Heikki KovalainenMcLaren-Mercedes22 (4th)
13.Nick HeidfeldBMW Sauber12
14.Robert KubicaBMW Sauber9
15.Giancarlo FisichellaFerrari8
16.Adrian SutilForce India-Mercedes5
17.Sebastien BuemiSTR-Ferrari3
18.Sebastian BourdaisSTR-Ferrari2
19.Kazuki NakajimaWilliams-Toyota0 (9th)
20.Nelson Piquet JrRenault0 (10th)
21.Luca BadoerFerrari0 (14th, 17th)
22.Vitantonio LiuzziForce India-Mercedes0 (14th, DNF)
23Romain GrosjeanRenault0 (15th, 15th)
24.Jaime AlguersuariSTR-Ferrari0 (15th, 16th)

Formula 1 World Constructors Championship Standings

Pos.FlagConstructor Points
1.BrawnGP153
2.Red Bull-Renault110.5
3.Ferrari62
4.McLaren-Mercedes59
5.Toyota46.5
6.Williams-Toyota30.5
7.Renault26
8.BMW Sauber21
10.Force India-Mercedes13
9.Toro Rosso-Ferrari5

Japanese Grand Prix Roll of honour

YearDriverCarLocation
1963*Peter WarrLotus-CosworthSuzuka
1964*Soukichi ShikibaPorscheSuzuka
1966*Yoshikazu SunakoPrinceFuji
1967*Tetsu IkuzawaPorscheFuji
1968*Moto KitanoNissanFuji
1969*Motoharu KurosawaNissanFuji
1971*Kuniomi NagamatsuMitsubishiFuji
1972*John SurteesSurteesFuji
1973*Motoharu KurosawaMarchFuji
1975*Masahiro HasemiMarchFuji
1976*Jacques LaffiteBMWFuji
1976Mario AndrettiLotus-FordFuji
1977James HuntMcLaren-FordFuji
1987Gerhard BergerFerrariSuzuka
1988Ayrton SennaMcLaren-HondaSuzuka
1989Allesandro NanniniBenetton-FordSuzuka
1990Nelson Piquet SrBenetton-FordSuzuka
1991Gerhard BergerMcLaren-HondaSuzuka
1992Riccardo PatreseWilliams-RenaultSuzuka
1993Ayrton SennaMcLaren-FordSuzuka
1994Damon HillMcLaren-FordSuzuka
1995Michael SchumacherBenetton-RenaultSuzuka
1996Damon HillWilliams-RenaultSuzuka
1997Michael SchumacherFerrariSuzuka
1998Mika HakkinenMcLaren-MercedesSuzuka
1999Mika HakkinenMcLaren-MercedesSuzuka
2000Michael SchumacherFerrariSuzuka
2001Michael SchumacherFerrariSuzuka
2002Michael SchumacherFerrariSuzuka
2003Rubens BarrichelloFerrariSuzuka
2004Michael SchumacherFerrariSuzuka
2005Kimi RaikkonenMcLaren-MercedesSuzuka
2006Fernando AlonsoRenaultSuzuka
2007Lewis HamiltonMcLaren-MercedesFuji
2008Fernando AlonsoRenaultFuji

* Non-championship race to non-F1 technical regulations. There were two Japanese Grands Prix in 1976, a F1 World Championship race and a Japanese Formula 2000 championship race. Both are listed as both races were referred to as the Japanese Grand Prix - however within Japan the 1976 races was known as the "Formula One World Championship in Japan".

External Links
Local Clock - 95km away so don't use for weather
Circuit Diagram

Event Timetable

Internal Links
Predictions Competition
Fantasy F1
IRC Chat
Old 30 Sep 2009, 18:15 (Ref:2551429)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Nice intro.

The BBC weather forecast.A bit of a mixed bag really (Rain Friday,Saturday.Dry on Sunday).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/5007?count=10

JB could tie it all up this weekend.Although I think that we'd all prefer it if Rubens stood half a chance of staying in the championship at his home GP.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 18:26 (Ref:2551437)   #3
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewis Hamilton's first race at one of my very favourite race circuits, Suzuka. Oh I am looking forward to this weekend!!
Old 30 Sep 2009, 18:30 (Ref:2551439)   #4
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Nice intro.

JB could tie it all up this weekend.Although I think that we'd all prefer it if Rubens stood half a chance of staying in the championship at his home GP.
I would love the fight to go to the end but the thought of JB / BRawn tying up both championships in Japan - home to Honda is just a little bit too tempting to want to see!
Old 30 Sep 2009, 18:31 (Ref:2551442)   #5
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Japan, home of Honda? Not just that Elspeth, it's Suzuka, home of Honda
Old 30 Sep 2009, 19:12 (Ref:2551466)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If the weather turns bad you can see it all going wrong for Button. A non finish and it's all to play for for Barrichello / Vettel! It usually happens when the media start talking of drivers wrapping up titles.

Pleasure to be back racing at Suzuka again. Fuji just isn't the same.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 21:14 (Ref:2551508)   #7
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I expect Vettel to fly here. Still remember his Friday testing for BMW when he blitzed the field and showed some of his early potential. Additionally, the circuit should suit the RB5 more than Singapore did, so Vettel will probably be running at the very top end of the field.

Beyond that I'm wondering how the BMWs will fare. Their upgrade should be dialed in now, again the track suiting the care more than Singapore, and both drivers love Suzuka.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 22:56 (Ref:2551574)   #8
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmm, don't think Damon Hill won the 1994 Japanese GP in a Mclaren Ford.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 23:32 (Ref:2551582)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So here comes Japan... it's Button time.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 00:40 (Ref:2551605)   #10
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who thinks Trulli will get pole? I think it is likely

My pick for the win is Vettel or Barrichello, with a BMW on the podium.

I think that if Friday and Saturday are rained out, the new drivers will be nowhere with a dry race.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 11:50 (Ref:2551832)   #11
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
The rain is going to fall 2 days too early it seems.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 12:17 (Ref:2551853)   #12
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
Japan, home of Honda? Not just that Elspeth, it's Suzuka, home of Honda
Ooh! I hadn't thought of that! What a kick in the teeth for Honda.I might just be cheering for Jense then this weekend.It would be even better if they had some Honda exec handing over the winners trophy on the podium

Maybe next year we'll see Timo Glock wrapping up a WDC for Cologne F1 Mercedes at Fuji
Old 1 Oct 2009, 14:33 (Ref:2551967)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
The rain is going to fall 2 days too early it seems.
A 'mixed-up' qualifying is just as good as a 'mixed-up' race.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 15:59 (Ref:2552016)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Word is that for Friday practice it will rain...and rain...and rain and then rain some more.Saturday practice may also be wet with a dry qualifying,which should make things rather interesting from then on.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 17:52 (Ref:2552106)   #15
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If I were being really picky (and if I could control the weather, which would be ridiculous), one dry session to enjoy the cars at full pelt would be appreciated, with perhaps a dry race not making things too nuts, but a wet qualifying maybe shaking up the field a bit. I just wrote that and realised, what would count as a shook-up field in 2009? A Force India at the front? Nup.

So, what are your plans for your viewing then? I might be up until 2, as I've just got back from the States and am on a bit of an odd internal time-zone. So, I'll probably see a bit of FP1, whilst taping (or hard disking with this Sony recording device I have) it on the Red Button. I'll probably grab the end of FP2 live.

Qually and the race must be live. It's the way I always have to have it.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 20:09 (Ref:2552235)   #16
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Hmm, don't think Damon Hill won the 1994 Japanese GP in a Mclaren Ford.
And, I'd say McLaren had Peugeot engines that year.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 20:11 (Ref:2552238)   #17
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
D'oh.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 20:18 (Ref:2552245)   #18
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Autosport's as bad, in it's preview has corners Degna 1 and Degna 2.
Ernst Degner is spinning in his grave.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 20:57 (Ref:2552274)   #19
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I enjoy the Esses at this circuit. They have a rollercoaster-esque feel.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 22:05 (Ref:2552315)   #20
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
3hrs to FP1

Anyone staying up for this one?

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 22:55 (Ref:2552342)   #21
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm...Two hours...Can I waste that much time on the internet? I think so.
Old 2 Oct 2009, 00:13 (Ref:2552371)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Vettel will be particularly pleased that Friday will be 'wet' because it means that he doesn't have to venture out on to the track at all.But then we probably will not be seeing too much action from any of the teams if the forecast for heavy rain is correct.
Old 2 Oct 2009, 00:15 (Ref:2552372)   #23
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It has been raining heavily at the circuit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autosport Live
The Friday rain arrived with a vengeance in the form of showers, soaking the track from three o'clock local time this morning. Through the early daylight hours, conditions have remained very dull indeed.
Old 2 Oct 2009, 00:29 (Ref:2552379)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
RAIN : Here we go again !!!
Old 2 Oct 2009, 00:37 (Ref:2552383)   #25
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kobayashi is filling in for Glock in FP1 and 2 as Timo is "unwell"