Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 5 Feb 2020, 20:21 (Ref:3955990)   #4726
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
Hm - hadn't previously heard any rumours about Power retiring(?!).

I'm also interested that the article about McLaughlin says he's running the #2... does that mean Newgarden will carry #1 this year? Seems logical but I don't remember anything to that effect. And because my memory is crap, I don't recall if he used #1 in his previous championship-defence season?
Maybe it's just that, a rumour.

If you go to the stats page on the IndyCar website and go to the results for 2018, it has the car #1 next to Newgarden's name.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 20:41 (Ref:3955993)   #4727
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh it's definitely just musings at this point. It's more about where does this go from here. Penske doesn't give rides away for no reason.
Old 6 Feb 2020, 16:28 (Ref:3956114)   #4728
el_cat
Racer

el_cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any word of what Carlin are going to be doing? It’s all gone very quiet - is there any risk of them not making the grid?
Old 6 Feb 2020, 16:49 (Ref:3956117)   #4729
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_cat View Post
Any word of what Carlin are going to be doing? It’s all gone very quiet - is there any risk of them not making the grid?
On their website, they say at the bottom of the IndyCar team profile that they will be back, for their third full-time season in 2020. This year's calendar is also on their website.

http://www.carlin.co.uk/teams/indycar/
Old 6 Feb 2020, 19:13 (Ref:3956138)   #4730
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
On their website, they say at the bottom of the IndyCar team profile that they will be back, for their third full-time season in 2020. This year's calendar is also on their website.

http://www.carlin.co.uk/teams/indycar/

Distinct lack of drivers listed though... I guess Max Chilton if anybody, for street/road only again I suppose.
Old 6 Feb 2020, 19:20 (Ref:3956139)   #4731
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Distinct lack of drivers listed though... I guess Max Chilton if anybody, for street/road only again I suppose.
Exactly. I know Carlin compete in a number of different series, so maybe they haven't got round to announcing the drivers.
Old 6 Feb 2020, 19:53 (Ref:3956148)   #4732
el_cat
Racer

Chilton aside, I can’t even really think of anyone who seems a realistic fit for Carlin. Looking at last seasons full-time field, it’s only Leist and Hinch who haven’t got rides but neither of them seem likely for Carlin.

It would be nice if they had season-long drivers, rather than the part-programmes that seem all too common these days.

I wonder if they’ll end up taking guys from an Indy Lights background - Claman and RC Enerson, that sort of driver
Old 7 Feb 2020, 12:49 (Ref:3956247)   #4733
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Robin miller said a few weeks back that Carlin were expected for the test, which I think is in a week or so isn’t it? Sirotkin and sette Camara were mentioned in the article, but that might just be speculation.
Old 7 Feb 2020, 16:43 (Ref:3956313)   #4734
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
SPAM unveils their liveries. They look good for the most part, but I can't say that I am a big fan of the additional blue trim for Askew's #7. Also, the vivid blue on the back vents are an interesting choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paEt...ture=emb_title

Old 7 Feb 2020, 16:50 (Ref:3956314)   #4735
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
SPAM unveils their liveries. They look good for the most part, but I can't say that I am a big fan of the additional blue trim for the #7 car. Also, the vivid blue on the back vents are an interesting choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paEt...ture=emb_title

I watched some of the unveiling. The blue is one way to distinguish both cars. I suppose they could have used papaya orange instead.
Old 7 Feb 2020, 18:13 (Ref:3956327)   #4736
Nikki Katz
Racer

Carlin have now confirmed chilton for road and street courses and the Indy 500. No word on 2nd car or ovals yet.
Old 7 Feb 2020, 19:23 (Ref:3956340)   #4737
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Katz View Post
Carlin have now confirmed chilton for road and street courses and the Indy 500. No word on 2nd car or ovals yet.
To be revealed at the COTA spring training test or so the team claims. Guessing it's a check clearing thing
Old 7 Feb 2020, 19:55 (Ref:3956341)   #4738
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Who could take the seat for the remaining races that Chilton won't contest, what's more, who will Carlin fill the #23 with? Plenty of names out there that could be in line in like Pigot, RC Enerson (Which the Racer article below mentions), Carlos Munoz, Hildebrand, heck even Oriol Servia? There are plenty of other names out there that I am forgetting, but these would have to be some of the higher priority choices for me.

EDIT - Not sure if Pigot has the sponsorship/money power to make that happen, and I am not positive if Hildebrand is still bound by contract with DRR that could make driving for another team difficult.

https://racer.com/2020/02/07/chilton...dycar-program/

Last edited by Nick Woodbury; 7 Feb 2020 at 20:02.
Old 8 Feb 2020, 10:52 (Ref:3956395)   #4739
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Loving the look of that McLaren livery, certainly is mouth watering and makes it stand out.
Old 10 Feb 2020, 14:25 (Ref:3956754)   #4740
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So here's my updated list, which is of course subject to change (e.g. the possible Carlin oval driver mentioned above, Fernando Alonso (or not), James Hinchcliffe (or not), the usual slate of Indy-only entries, and so forth).

I've likely missed something so please amend as necessary.

*=confirmed

A.J. Foyt Enterprises
4 Charlie Kimball*
14 Tony Kanaan* (five ovals) / Sebastien Bourdais* (4 races) / Dalton Kellett* (8 races)
41 Dalton Kellett* (Indy 500)

Andretti Autosport
26 Zach Veach*
27 Alexander Rossi*
28 Ryan Hunter-Reay*
98 Marco Andretti*
? Fernando Alonso? (Indy 500)

Andretti Harding Steinbrenner Autosport
88 Colton Herta*

Arrow McLaren SP
5 Patricio O’Ward*
6 [reserved for Robert Wickens]*
7 Oliver Askew*

Carlin
59 Max Chilton* (road/street races plus Indy 500) / ? (ovals?)

Dragonspeed
? Ben Hanley? possibly different road/street and oval drivers? (6 races)

Chip Ganassi Racing
8 Marcus Ericsson*
9 Scott Dixon*
10 Felix Rosenqvist*

Dreyer and Reinbold
24 Sage Karam? J.R. Hildebrand? (4 races)

Dale Coyne Racing
18 Santino Ferrucci*
19 Alex Palou* (with Team Goh)

Team Penske
1 Josef Newgarden*
2 Scott McLaughlin* (Indy GP)
3? Helio Castroneves? (Indy only?)
12 Will Power*
22 Simon Pagenaud*

ECR
20 Ed Carpenter* (ovals) / Conor Daly* (street/road)
21 Rinus VeeKay*

Juncos Racing?
? Kyle Kaiser ?

Meyer Shank Racing
60 Jack Harvey*

Rahal Letterman Lanigan
15 Graham Rahal*
30 Takuma Sato*
Old 10 Feb 2020, 16:08 (Ref:3956771)   #4741
el_cat
Racer

Sergio Sette Camara and Felipe Nasr to share the second Carlin seat. Rounds not divided up yet but apparently neither has expressed any reservations about racing on ovals. Nasr has a clash for the Richmond round, and depending on contracts/schedule may end up doing a double-duty of sorts for Long Beach and Detroit (unless he’s made to miss them).

Also, apparently Carlin and negotiating for Conor Daly to replace Chilton for the oval rounds. Daly of course will be spare whilst Ed Carpenter takes the seat over
Old 10 Feb 2020, 16:34 (Ref:3956777)   #4742
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_cat View Post
Sergio Sette Camara and Felipe Nasr to share the second Carlin seat. Rounds not divided up yet but apparently neither has expressed any reservations about racing on ovals. Nasr has a clash for the Richmond round, and depending on contracts/schedule may end up doing a double-duty of sorts for Long Beach and Detroit (unless he’s made to miss them).

Also, apparently Carlin and negotiating for Conor Daly to replace Chilton for the oval rounds. Daly of course will be spare whilst Ed Carpenter takes the seat over
Looks like the Silly Season will continue into the regular season.
Old 10 Feb 2020, 17:09 (Ref:3956789)   #4743
HighParker
Racer

Canada
Toronto
HighParker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From Aug 2018 article -
Quote:
“Take Toronto, for example: we can get 23 cars onto pit lane, but that’s it, with the configuration that’s presently available,”
If everyone shows up as indicated so far, I think a second full-season Carlin car and Sage Karam would make 25 entries there. Trying to somehow jam in two extra pit lane spaces will be very awkward, or expensive if they have to make pit lane longer by removing things like traffic lights, street lights, sidewalks, curbing, fire hydrants, etc., assuming the city would allow it.

Last edited by HighParker; 10 Feb 2020 at 17:29.
Old 10 Feb 2020, 17:18 (Ref:3956793)   #4744
Nikki Katz
Racer

Both nasr and sette camara are decent if unspectacular drivers. Either would be great full time in the series, but it’s a bit of a shame that they have to share the seat as it’ll give them less time to get used to the car and the series. But I guess that’s just the reality of the finances of the series, particularly at the back. I hope they have at least a few decent races.
Old 10 Feb 2020, 22:44 (Ref:3956881)   #4745
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Katz View Post
Both nasr and sette camara are decent if unspectacular drivers. Either would be great full time in the series, but it’s a bit of a shame that they have to share the seat as it’ll give them less time to get used to the car and the series. But I guess that’s just the reality of the finances of the series, particularly at the back. I hope they have at least a few decent races.
Nasr is a seriously unfulfilled talent in my book. One of those 'how om earth did it not work out' examples
Old 11 Feb 2020, 15:37 (Ref:3956978)   #4746
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Fernando Alonso (or not)

Andretti Autosport
26 Zach Veach*
27 Alexander Rossi*
28 Ryan Hunter-Reay*
98 Marco Andretti*
? Fernando Alonso? (Indy 500)
Certainly no Alonso there, Honda does not want Alonso near one of their engines again
Old 11 Feb 2020, 16:22 (Ref:3957000)   #4747
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
IndyCar are live streaming the open test at COTA.

It looks rather wet and grey.

https://racecontrol.indycar.com/
Old 11 Feb 2020, 17:24 (Ref:3957011)   #4748
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Just had an accident in me pants!

AJ Foyt racing throwback #14 with all the correct colors and fonts. Perhaps the best sponsorless livery ever?

Old 11 Feb 2020, 17:28 (Ref:3957012)   #4749
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
Just had an accident in me pants!

AJ Foyt racing throwback #14 with all the correct colors and fonts. Perhaps the best sponsorless livery ever?

No Copenhagen logo.
Old 11 Feb 2020, 17:42 (Ref:3957015)   #4750
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
No Copenhagen logo.
If only!!