Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 16 Apr 2013, 01:05 (Ref:3234986)   #976
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Audi will save the series right after IZOD has.

I honestly think a lot of this depends on whether or not US DTM takes off. Audi/VW was one of the key players in talk over the new engine regs as far back as 08 and they bowed out so we'll see. I'll believe Audi going to any form of open wheel when I see it.
Exactly. Audi have been rumored to be going IndyCar racing about half a bazillion times. Audi has shown zero inclination to do anything other than sportscar racing as it has been very effective for them.

Next up, the annual VW rumor, then the rumors that begin when any automobile company reports a profit. I am breathlessly awaiting the news that Tata Motors is considering entry...

What possible advantage would there be to Audi to go to IndyCar? Grand Am I can see...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 01:23 (Ref:3234992)   #977
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC View Post
What possible advantage would there be to Audi to go to IndyCar? Grand Am I can see...
Sadly their fan bases are about the same size.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 01:31 (Ref:3234993)   #978
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
They might strike out for the 500. If they had an existing engine they could modify on the cheap. They know LeMans, Indianapolis, Monaco are the big global races.

Tony George would find a way to alienate Audi though. It's as inevitable as the sun-rise.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 01:36 (Ref:3234994)   #979
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Couldn't care less about the DTM or DP news but man I really hope they do Indycar...
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...type-for-2014/
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106774
Could care less aboot Mindaycar. Hope they go DP racing.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 01:53 (Ref:3234999)   #980
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was thinking more along the lines of ARCA, or the Camping World Truck Series. They do get better ratings than Indycar or Grand Am.

If they want to stick with technical relevance then NASA's German Touring National Series with a huge factory program in the Thunderhill 25 Hours. I hear they're already testing with Allan McNish at Blackhawk Farms. Of course, one of the greatest journalists ever with the likes of Walter Cronkite and Robert Fisk: the great Marshall Pruett, told me, so it must be true.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 03:05 (Ref:3235006)   #981
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Could care less aboot Mindaycar. Hope they go DP racing.
Noooo, let's not encourage the DPs.
Old 17 Apr 2013, 13:59 (Ref:3235809)   #982
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Audi/VW was one of the key players in talk over the new engine regs as far back as 08 and they bowed out so we'll see. I'll believe Audi going to any form of open wheel when I see it.
I remember at the time Audi were also rumoured to be going into F1 but it never happened. They are happy racing in the WEC.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 03:41 (Ref:3236019)   #983
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Exactly. Audi have been rumored to be going IndyCar racing about half a bazillion times. Audi has shown zero inclination to do anything other than sportscar racing as it has been very effective for them.

Next up, the annual VW rumor, then the rumors that begin when any automobile company reports a profit. I am breathlessly awaiting the news that Tata Motors is considering entry...

I can't see it happening as Audi's customers are not into that irl scene at all and there is no real benefit for Audi.

I got some insight a few years ago into VW/Audi's methodology in regards to motorsports programs. They look at everything and do their math and in my opinion are one of the more thorough in their approach to motor racing and what they get out of it than many other manufacturers. Good Luck irl.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 03:44 (Ref:3236021)   #984
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Sadly their fan bases are about the same size.
It's not just about fan bases, but what the potential customers are for their product and what you can use in your own media buys to push sales of your cars. Most manufacturers spend just as much on advertising their successes as they do on the actual sport itself.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 03:49 (Ref:3236022)   #985
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I can't see it happening as Audi's customers are not into that irl scene at all and there is no real benefit for Audi.
Who needs Audi when you can speak on their behalf?
Old 19 Apr 2013, 02:47 (Ref:3236450)   #986
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Audi is all about the diesel technology, for one thing, so going to the IRL as the builder of engines that are less powerful than that of the pace car would seem to hold little appeal for them (iimho). I mean, what would be the "win" for Audi vis a vis participating in the IRL as a builder?

I would tend to agree with MS that IF an Audi owner is interested in motorsport (and this is not a given) then they likely would be interested in WEC-style racing. They attempt to showcase their engineering and performance within that platform. Why in God's name would they want to attach their name to a spec racing series?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 20 Apr 2013, 14:30 (Ref:3237037)   #987
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Audi is all about the diesel technology, for one thing, so going to the IRL as the builder of engines that are less powerful than that of the pace car would seem to hold little appeal for them (iimho). I mean, what would be the "win" for Audi vis a vis participating in the IRL as a builder?

I would tend to agree with MS that IF an Audi owner is interested in motorsport (and this is not a given) then they likely would be interested in WEC-style racing. They attempt to showcase their engineering and performance within that platform. Why in God's name would they want to attach their name to a spec racing series?
Agreed, and the fact that the multiple aero parts proposal has been scrapped for now thanks to Randy's ousting.

It could be worse if Audi joins NASCAR...
Old 21 Apr 2013, 01:16 (Ref:3237207)   #988
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
I don't see Audi joining NASCAR...not in any Universe.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 08:29 (Ref:3237752)   #989
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Audi do have open wheel experience with the old Formula Palmer Audi series run out of the UK for 13 years upto 2010 - wonder what they got out of that against formula ford, renault, 3 etc...

Justin Wilson was FPA champion in 1998, maybe they are going to ave him as there driver in IndyCar when they enter
Old 24 Apr 2013, 22:03 (Ref:3239056)   #990
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
1996 Indy 500 winner Buddy Lazier has apparently purchased the car Fan Force United ran last year.

http://www.wibc.com/MikeThomsen/blog...tryID=10535777

Brother Jacques is also looking for a ride. Other sites claim he has bought a brand new car from Dallara.
Old 24 Apr 2013, 22:16 (Ref:3239060)   #991
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From the thread '2013 Indianapolis 500 Entry List' posted on April 13th.

Quote:

FordCosworthPanoz

I expect they'll get to 33 with some second Ed Carpenter Racing or a Dick Simon entry with Jacques Lazier or Buddy Rice driving.
Burn me! I'm a witch!

Looks like I was right about Dick Simon's 'Fan Force United' car in the field, except it will be fielded by someone else. I also got the part right about Jacques as he can be found in gasoline alley every year. Only part I wasn't right about was mixing up the rusty forgotten Indy 500 winners named 'Buddy' who both tested and weren't impressive enough to get a ride in the Camping World Truck Series.

I also fully expect a second car from a team like ECR to make up the 33.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 00:11 (Ref:3239083)   #992
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
What a joke! And they wonder why this is no longer anywhere close to the greatest race in the world except to a few folks over the age of 60 and in the U.S. midwest. If these guys were putting an effort together and there were 40-45 cars no big deal but when they can show up and have a guarantee to be in the show...
Old 25 Apr 2013, 02:29 (Ref:3239120)   #993
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Backmarkers are disastrous in most even premier series though and this has been the case since time immemorial. If they have enough entrants to us give some Bump day fun that'll be a small accomplishment for the series - compared to recent years which isn't saying much.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 13:23 (Ref:3239278)   #994
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
04/25/13 DRR parking No. 22 after Indy? Rumor has it that Dreyer and Reinbold Racing is parking the #22 Servia car after the Indy 500. Sponsorship difficulties. How do teams get sponsorship with the TV ratings NBC Sports Network is delivering? No official word from the team as of yet. Partner Panther Racing will carry on with Hildebrand, however.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 13:56 (Ref:3239283)   #995
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
04/25/13 DRR parking No. 22 after Indy? Rumor has it that Dreyer and Reinbold Racing is parking the #22 Servia car after the Indy 500. Sponsorship difficulties. How do teams get sponsorship with the TV ratings NBC Sports Network is delivering? No official word from the team as of yet. Partner Panther Racing will carry on with Hildebrand, however.
Teams lose sponsorship, is the answer. However this seems beyond the comprehension of the Hulman Georges and the IndyCar board.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 17:48 (Ref:3239361)   #996
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
That's a shame, Servia is one of my favourite drivers and Robbie Buhl seems like a good guy. Not surprised though, more likely to come with the abysmal ROI. To get a return on sponsorship these days in Indycar you need major activation, like Target does, for it to make sense. Hard to do for some teams when stickers are on a car on a single race basis.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 23:41 (Ref:3239471)   #997
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
It's official:
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...fter-indy-500/
Old 26 Apr 2013, 05:24 (Ref:3239518)   #998
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
If they have enough entrants to us give some Bump day fun that'll be a small accomplishment for the series - compared to recent years which isn't saying much.
Bump day 2011 doesnt ring a bell?
Old 26 Apr 2013, 07:10 (Ref:3239553)   #999
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
the question now is, who's next?

has this series got any cost cutting measures to try and bring back smaller teams to a more level playing field? it needs parity.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 08:56 (Ref:3239580)   #1000
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
the question now is, who's next?

has this series got any cost cutting measures to try and bring back smaller teams to a more level playing field? it needs parity.
One of the smallest teams won just last weekend. It is a spec-series in the chassis department with both engines winning races this year.... what more 'parity' do you need?

The problem isn't really how much the cars cost at the moment, it is about who is willing to kick the tin in general.