Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 24 Jul 2014, 17:30 (Ref:3437378)   #2226
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd guess if he goes it is to Ganassi or Schmidt
Old 24 Jul 2014, 20:54 (Ref:3437461)   #2227
Burp
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
Burp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hes had a terrible season, no luck at all
Old 24 Jul 2014, 21:23 (Ref:3437472)   #2228
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wrong thread.

Last edited by Salamus; 24 Jul 2014 at 21:36.
Old 25 Jul 2014, 14:46 (Ref:3437739)   #2229
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
RLL and Foyt fined after Toronto.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115120
Old 29 Jul 2014, 09:41 (Ref:3439607)   #2230
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Issuing mere fines for clearly ILLEGAL cars is something I never understood with this series. Especially with winners, ie Wilsons and Huertas etc. Why have rules if nothing gets done when you cheat (on purpose or not). Those fines are meaningless.

NASCAR does the same thing but it's... NASCAR so it's kinda self answering
Old 29 Jul 2014, 12:41 (Ref:3439668)   #2231
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
If you're chucking out cars out of the finishing order, that wrecks the media narrative in a series that needs the oxygen of a 'good story' unlike any other. They prefer to slap a fine and downplay infractions to the public.

Not that I think that's appropriate that mind you but I can see why they do it.
Old 29 Jul 2014, 13:06 (Ref:3439681)   #2232
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't change the finishing order, but I would say a removal of points would be far more appropriate than such a piddly fine
Old 29 Jul 2014, 15:41 (Ref:3439736)   #2233
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
With NASCAR the excuse given is "it would confuse the fans" But they use that same exact reasoning for everything, when people blatantly ram other people to go win the race etc...

Anyway yes I'm sure ICS needs to attract everybody it can and all but it still makes mockery of the rulebook

Also this Sato case, his car was found illegal after qualifying - NOT EVEN THE RACE - and officials did nothing to affect grid position, then fine only gets announced days and days later in silence...
Old 1 Aug 2014, 11:33 (Ref:3440731)   #2234
mythoughtsareracing
Racer

United States
Houston Area
mythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
The current product is like watching paint dry. It's why the races draw flies and when it comes down to it, no one really watches on TV. When a product isn't selling, smart people ask why that is the case and to me they put out a poor product that has no entertainment or sporting value.
Not trying to be obtuse. Just trying to understand your reasoning.
What about the racing product doesn't appeal to you?

I see the racing and am very entertained with the way the races play out, be they on TV or in person. Granted, my opinion may be swayed because I go into each VICS race with a desire to watch while you are nonplussed, at the most.

I get that you abhor the spec chassis and the comparatively wimpy V6 motors and lots of other facets of the series that arguably should never have come about, yet are part and parcel now.

Quote:
Total baloney. The chassis deal was to line certain people's pockets. Teams have had to buy parts at inflated markups instead of being allowed to fabricate and repair their own parts like they used to. It's driven a lot of fabricators and skilled people in Indianapolis into other motorsports or businesses. The car itself is no cheaper to run or own than an open series of competing chassis.
Emphasis mine.
I wonder if the ICONIC committee or anyone else associated with the chassis selection process considered the benefit to Indianapolis as a whole by stepping away from a spec chassis and allowing other manufacturers in.
That would mean additional companies with more engineers, fabricators, welders, assemblers, shop boys/girls et al.
Factor in new or renovated buildings and the like, and that would really seem like a win-win for both VICS and IndyCar, at least on paper (or, for 2014 terms, in 12 point Times New Roman on your PureWhite Kindle).

Quote:
A couple of guys opening boxes from Italy is not an assembly plant or factory. It was said they would add some assembly or manufacturer of parts but I have no knowledge of that ever happening
Have you actually been to the Dallara factory in Speedway?
As I understand it, it's a full-on engineering and production facility for the tubs, at least.
I now part of the facility (it was an old team garage, IIRC) is also warehousing for replacement parts. Maybe that's another facility and maybe those parts are manufactured elsewhere. I'm not local, so I don't know.

I'm certainly curious about what parts for VICS are made in Speedway and which ones are imported and the like.
If the "crash parts" are made in Italy and imported, that would surely be part of the higher cost that the teams complain about.

Not saying I have a solution. I'm more thinking with my keyboard.
Old 1 Aug 2014, 19:33 (Ref:3440837)   #2235
Flo aus N
Rookie

Flo aus N should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its not about the tube itself. Its about the dampers, springs, brakes, brake callipers, wishbones, other assembly parts, etc... the old chassis was delivered as a kit and Teams had the chance to buy or produce different parts and assembly the chassies, the way they wanted to do. But with the new car, this is not allowed nor able, because you have to buy all the parts from Dallara.
Old 2 Aug 2014, 17:44 (Ref:3441019)   #2236
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
J-P M considering Indy and Charlotte next year.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115255
Old 7 Aug 2014, 01:51 (Ref:3442097)   #2237
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
National Guard to end motorsports sponsorships: After undergoing an intensive internal review, the Army National Guard is set to make changes to its sports sponsorship approach to recruitment marketing. These substantial changes include an end to its sponsorship of NASCAR driver #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Graham Rahal in the Indy Racing League (IRL). "Significantly constrained resources and the likelihood of further reductions in the future call for more innovative and cost-effective ways of doing business," said Maj Gen Judd H. Lyons, acting Director of the Army National Guard. The Army Guard spent $32 million on its NASCAR sponsorship and $12 million on its IndyCar sponsorship for 2014. Future programs will rely on much smaller budgets. And while sports sponsorships have played an important role in helping the Guard build strong brand awareness, existing Army National Guard sponsorship contracts with NASCAR and IRL are set to expire at the end of the current season, he said. "Our NASCAR sponsorship was principally a marketing program, intended primarily to build awareness of the National Guard as a career option" said Johnson. "The NASCAR sponsorship allowed the National Guard to leverage a 77 million fan base and the sport's most popular driver." Motorsports sponsorships are not the only programs to be impacted by decreasing budgets. Since 2012, the Army Guard has reduced sports sponsorships from six-including professional fishing and motorcycle racing-to just the NASCAR and IndyCar sponsorships. In fiscal year 2015, the Army Guard's marketing budget is expected to be about half of what it was just three years ago in fiscal year 2012.(Army National Guard)(8-6-2014)
Old 7 Aug 2014, 02:17 (Ref:3442099)   #2238
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post

Quote:
National Guard to end motorsports sponsorships: After undergoing an intensive internal review, the Army National Guard is set to make changes to its sports sponsorship approach to recruitment marketing. These substantial changes include an end to its sponsorship of NASCAR driver #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Graham Rahal in the Indy Racing League (IRL). "Significantly constrained resources and the likelihood of further reductions in the future call for more innovative and cost-effective ways of doing business," said Maj Gen Judd H. Lyons, acting Director of the Army National Guard. The Army Guard spent $32 million on its NASCAR sponsorship and $12 million on its IndyCar sponsorship for 2014. Future programs will rely on much smaller budgets. And while sports sponsorships have played an important role in helping the Guard build strong brand awareness, existing Army National Guard sponsorship contracts with NASCAR and IRL are set to expire at the end of the current season, he said. "Our NASCAR sponsorship was principally a marketing program, intended primarily to build awareness of the National Guard as a career option" said Johnson. "The NASCAR sponsorship allowed the National Guard to leverage a 77 million fan base and the sport's most popular driver." Motorsports sponsorships are not the only programs to be impacted by decreasing budgets. Since 2012, the Army Guard has reduced sports sponsorships from six-including professional fishing and motorcycle racing-to just the NASCAR and IndyCar sponsorships. In fiscal year 2015, the Army Guard's marketing budget is expected to be about half of what it was just three years ago in fiscal year 2012.(Army National Guard)(8-6-2014)
Sad to see the National Guard go as a sponsor but cuts in the Defence Budget were bound to impact, sooner or later. Interesting that they had a 77 million fan base in NASCAR and yet that wasn't enough to justify their sponsorship programme, in its current form.
Old 7 Aug 2014, 03:21 (Ref:3442104)   #2239
Hendrix
Racer

United States
Minnesota
Hendrix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Sad to see the National Guard go as a sponsor but cuts in the Defence Budget were bound to impact, sooner or later. Interesting that they had a 77 million fan base in NASCAR and yet that wasn't enough to justify their sponsorship programme, in its current form.
I can see how it would be hard to justify it when they didn't have anyone make it to being a soldier.

Anyways, I'm fully supportive of them discontinuing their sponsorship as it just seems like a waste of tax payer dollars, it's not like people are unaware that we have an Army or something.
Old 7 Aug 2014, 04:27 (Ref:3442105)   #2240
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
I can see how it would be hard to justify it when they didn't have anyone make it to being a soldier.

Anyways, I'm fully supportive of them discontinuing their sponsorship as it just seems like a waste of tax payer dollars, it's not like people are unaware that we have an Army or something.
I suppose with these Defence cuts, it was though best way to recruit was via the National Guard, rather than directly through the Army but despite the National Guard's presence, as a prominant sponsor and NASCAR's 77 million fan base, this didn't tranlsate into the necessary recruitment figures, otherwise I agree.
Old 7 Aug 2014, 11:54 (Ref:3442187)   #2241
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's hoping Team Rahal will find new sponsors to replace their main backer who is quitting. They have come back nicely from already having been out of the Verizon IndyCar Series once, after they also had to sit out a few years when they lost their main sponsor after the 2008 season.
During their comeback, Team Rahal has scored several Top 3 results which is many times more than other teams achieved who had to leave for a lack of sponsorship: even Newman/Haas never returned in spite of contemplating to run an Indy 500-only entry. DRR at least ran the Indy 500 this year, as they promised.

I guess the news of the National Guard leaving the sport will make it easier for Justin Wilson to sign again with Dale Coyne.
Old 7 Aug 2014, 15:04 (Ref:3442244)   #2242
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!

This is one of the best sports posters ever.
Old 7 Aug 2014, 19:11 (Ref:3442301)   #2243
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree. This one looks quite spectacular.
Old 7 Aug 2014, 22:08 (Ref:3442333)   #2244
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Aero-kits

Some long awaited news on aero-kits from Honda.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115316
Old 7 Aug 2014, 22:56 (Ref:3442339)   #2245
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's some great news. Can't wait to see what they look like.

I really hope Cosworth can join the party too.
Old 7 Aug 2014, 23:40 (Ref:3442349)   #2246
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
That's some great news. Can't wait to see what they look like.

I really hope Cosworth can join the party too.
A shame they won't be available for the 2 international races. Obviously promoting the series in the home market is a priority, with regards to increasing track attendance and TV viewing figures, as well as attracting new sponsors. However, if IndyCar wants to attract an international audience and sponsors, which I presume is the purpose of these international races, why not sell the series short? Maybe it's due to time constraints?
Old 8 Aug 2014, 00:18 (Ref:3442353)   #2247
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Yeah I'm curious for their reasoning to not use the aero kits at the international races too.

I'm guessing it's time constraints. Skipping the international races gives the manufacturers almost an extra 2 months. Or maybe they are afraid their won't be enough spare parts and don't want to give a disadvantage to a team that was involved in an accident.
Old 8 Aug 2014, 01:22 (Ref:3442362)   #2248
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Yeah I'm curious for their reasoning to not use the aero kits at the international races too.

I'm guessing it's time constraints. Skipping the international races gives the manufacturers almost an extra 2 months. Or maybe they are afraid their won't be enough spare parts and don't want to give a disadvantage to a team that was involved in an accident.
The article says there'll be 6 testing days between October and January. So if the first international race is in February, as on the provisional list you posted on the 2015 IndyCar schedule, maybe that isn't enough time.
Old 8 Aug 2014, 21:37 (Ref:3442587)   #2249
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
IndyCar wants to attract an international audience and sponsors, which I presume is the purpose of these international races
Dubai won't help a bit to attract an international audience (except for fans who enjoy street races at non-democratic countries). Brazil does help on that, although Brasilia isn't the best city in that country.
Old 9 Aug 2014, 10:44 (Ref:3442691)   #2250
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Dubai won't help a bit to attract an international audience (except for fans who enjoy street races at non-democratic countries). Brazil does help on that, although Brasilia isn't the best city in that country.
Why won't Dubai help?