Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Dec 2003, 20:39 (Ref:804071)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why I think Michael Schumacher should retire now

I just found this quote from an interview between Damon Hill and Michael Schumacher:

DH: Somewhere out there is the next Michael Schumacher - somewhere out there, lurking in the shadows. Like when you came into Formula 1, Ayrton [Senna] was around; it happens to every champion that there's someone, a successor. What would be interesting would be to see something like that happening again. Because, currently, you're pretty dominant in F1.
MS: Hmm. It's something you need to... Well, it'll be a new experience for me, because my career has always been me being young, starting up, and fighting against older people and trying to beat them. And being reasonably successful. Then at some stage I'll probably have to have the new experience where a new young guy is coming. And I never like these comparisons - you know, to talk about a new Schumacher or a new Senna - because if there's a new guy coming then he'll have a new character. He'll be a new independent person and he'll make his own name. But one day that will happen. My father always tells me, "If that happens, you'd better stop," because then it may become dangerous, he means. And I think he's right, because then you may try to extend your limits to keep up with what he's doing. And that can be dangerous.

(Full interview can be found here: http://www.ferrariownersclub.co.uk/h...120100_ii.html)

Seeing what happened to poor Ayrton Senna in 1994, that's the main reason why I think Schumacher should retire now. If he carries on, I fear he will end up hurting himself trying to keep up with the likes of Montoya and Raikkonen.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 20:54 (Ref:804081)   #2
gringottsdirect
Racer

United Kingdom
50 Rue St Georges Paris
gringottsdirect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking as an MS fan, so don't flame me.
Personally I don't think what happened to Ayrton was a result of him trying to " keep up " with anyone, it was simply circumstance.
If there is one driver of the current generation who drives within himself it is Michael, to my mind he has the measure of Kimi, JPM and others without extending his prowess too far beyond the envelope taking extreme risks.
Everything is relative, but F1 is dangerous just lining up on the starting grid, maybe he will start to worry about his family too much and decide to retire before 2005 anyway.
Let's see an exciting and safe 2004 F1 season for all.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 21:17 (Ref:804098)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I totally agree with gringottsdirect. Senna's accident was not a result of having to keep up with Schumacher.

As for Michael, he should retire when he wants to. He is still enjoying it (a lot). This is the important thing - If he goes on well past his prime, but is still enjoying it then that will be good too. (I don't think he will, becasue the winning is a big part for him, but that is not my point).

Anyway at the moment he is doing pretty well at trying to keep up with the likes of Montoya and Raikkonen!
Old 4 Dec 2003, 22:00 (Ref:804139)   #4
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Micheal is pretty comfortable in the knowledge that he has virtually nothing to prove. Of course there'll always be critics who'll refuse to recognize his superiority, but the fact remains (and F1 knows it) that he almost completely determined for over a decade the face of Formula 1. He has broken all relevant records and still is at the top of his game.

Indeed, someday, he will be beaten by a successor, and they are starting to close in. But once that has happened, Michael Schumacher can close the door on F1 in the comfortable knowledge that he most definatly will be remembered as one of the greatest ever. And I think that Michael doesn't have to fear anything from any successor, it is only the inevitable.

Last edited by NiceGuyEddie; 4 Dec 2003 at 22:01.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 22:21 (Ref:804165)   #5
BARrouette
Racer

BARrouette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He did enought damadge to f1 that is y he should leave.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 22:31 (Ref:804183)   #6
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
The only reason for Schumacher to retire is to do so, when he absolutely knows he is going out on top. Should he again win the Championship in 04', which he must be regarded as the favourite to do, at five in a row, I would fully expect him to retire.

As far as risk of injury, or worse, it is part of the sport, and I doubt that a newcomer would increase that risk more then it is.

I also don't think Schumacher has damaged the sport in any manner. While I am not a fan of his, he has helped in the resurgence of Ferrari, which must be of benefit to F1. That no other teams could mount the necessary challenge, speaks of their weaknesses, not some harm that Schumacher has caused.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 23:40 (Ref:804248)   #7
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
When one speaks of retirement in auto racing, the question that immediately comes to my mind is: At what age does a racer reach his peak and at what age should he retire? I am still not sure what the answer is, for a world class driver perhaps 31 and 38 respectively sounds about right? Physically Schumi has a few good years left but personally I think it is more a psychological decision rather than a physical one, especially in this day where drivers tend to stay in top condition. One bad accident can change things in a heartbeat ... ala Emerson Fittipalti.

Last edited by Kirk; 4 Dec 2003 at 23:44.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 23:41 (Ref:804249)   #8
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schumacher should race for as long as he is quick and competitive and enjoys it. As well a racing driver will always push to the limits and beyond to either catch or stay in front; that's the nature of the beast.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 5 Dec 2003, 03:16 (Ref:804340)   #9
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I'd take immense satisfaction seeing Schumacher stick around and get beaten by the new breed. Kimi took him to the limit last year, and I reckon TGF had the better car overall.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 03:30 (Ref:804347)   #10
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Anyway at the moment he is doing pretty well at trying to keep up with the likes of Montoya and Raikkonen!
Yep, kept up so well he won (another) championship.

I also dont believe Montoya or kimi are in his league yet. Thats not an insult btw, as I dont think Michael was in Senna's league in 94 either.

I think win, loose or draw, MS will step down after 2004. If he wins it will be 5 in row, 7 in total, and all but Senna's pole record in his pocket, and he'll make the call to finish on top.

If he loses to a superior car (the only way he can IMO), he wont have the energy, time or enthusiasm to help Ferrari back up, and will call it a day.

That said, I thought the same thing last year.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 04:26 (Ref:804368)   #11
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael isn't old- comeon he is what 34? montoya is going on 29, Kimi is the only real youngster, and Alonso.

he can go on if he wins '04 then the magic number 7 is a great way to retire, if not he can try in '05.
but as '04 is DC's year it'll be tough fighting off the Maclarens and as a slightly wreckless Montoya in Williams next year, MS might be a shoe in. why retire? life is good still.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 06:47 (Ref:804434)   #12
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He'll keep going. he wants 7 or 8 WDCs and he could get them with Ferrari, he's signed up until the end of 2006. Will be interesting to see how his outlook might change with Kimi and JPM at Mclaren in 2005. Arguably a very strong driver combination.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 5 Dec 2003, 08:11 (Ref:804478)   #13
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think he will give serious consideration to retiring at the end of 2004.

I don't think Ferrari will have the supremacy they have enjoyed pre 2003, in fact it will get a lot tighter at the top. I think the combination of the new ascendancy of drivers coming to the fore, coupled with McLaren,William's and Renault narrowing the technical gap, will be enough for MS to retire.

That's not to say he doesn't want the challenge, but the older you get the more you have to lose. As all top line drivers have found the, the young guys will keep their foot in that bit longer, brake that bit later and try a move that's a 50/50 - this makes beating them more risky and when you've won as much as Schumacher has, why take the risk any longer.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 08:57 (Ref:804506)   #14
MrBluesman1
Retired
Racer

MrBluesman1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope he stays until he stops enjoying it and he will only retire when that is the case I think
Old 5 Dec 2003, 13:06 (Ref:804712)   #15
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBluesman1
I hope he stays until he stops enjoying it and he will only retire when that is the case I think
I dont think he'll enjoy being constantly beat by Montoya, kimmi and alonso next year!
Old 5 Dec 2003, 13:46 (Ref:804758)   #16
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Smokey 6 litre
I dont think he'll enjoy being constantly beat by Montoya, kimmi and alonso next year!
Now there's a keeper
Old 5 Dec 2003, 13:59 (Ref:804771)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Mattracer
He'll keep going. he wants 7 or 8 WDCs and he could get them with Ferrari, he's signed up until the end of 2006. Will be interesting to see how his outlook might change with Kimi and JPM at Mclaren in 2005. Arguably a very strong driver combination.
Exactly.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 14:07 (Ref:804778)   #18
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nah, Kimi/DC might be a problem, but Kimi/JPM is only good news...
Old 5 Dec 2003, 14:55 (Ref:804815)   #19
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Why I think Michael Schumacher should retire now

Quote:
Originally posted by Yoong Montoya
reason why I think Schumacher should retire now. If he carries on, I fear he will end up hurting himself trying to keep up with the likes of Montoya and Raikkonen.
Your talking as if MS is an old man. He won't be driving then. He will retire well before he is a danger to himself and others. Also Schumi is not finished yet, as I said before in other threads: exceptional year last year - tyres letting down Schumi - would have walked it if on Michellins. Plenty left in the tank yet WDC #7 is on the way
Old 5 Dec 2003, 15:21 (Ref:804844)   #20
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is more, Yoong, Kimi and JPM dopn't seem, as far as now, faster than MS, it rather semms that the two competitor sometimes have to take over risks to keep up with him...
Old 5 Dec 2003, 16:12 (Ref:804916)   #21
gttouring
Veteran

Yoong?! that's funny, doesn't seem as fast as MS, he isn't as fast as JV in a BAR honda, or a jordan ford.

Kimi and jpm are plenty fast, but MS pulls out a plan or two when the other guys drive with their boot in it.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 16:15 (Ref:804917)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The next 2 seasons will be great to watch, with the youngs guns trying to beat TGF. He won't retire at all.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 16:17 (Ref:804919)   #23
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
Yoong?! that's funny, doesn't seem as fast as MS, he isn't as fast as JV in a BAR honda, or a jordan ford.

Kimi and jpm are plenty fast, but MS pulls out a plan or two when the other guys drive with their boot in it.
Er, I was just talking to Yoong Montoya, by "Yoong" I just meant it!
Old 5 Dec 2003, 16:29 (Ref:804931)   #24
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
What a great interview that is.

Note to ITV - Give Damon Hill a job.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 17:03 (Ref:804971)   #25
gttouring
Veteran

sorry Climb- i thoughts you were referring to our favorite rent a rider