Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jan 2004, 18:46 (Ref:833683)   #1
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schumacher could retire before Melbourne 04!

Hey guys, thought I would pass this one on!Visited the Autosport Show today at the NEC and heard a very interesting discussion between Matt Bishop (F1 Racing editor) and Maurice Hamilton (Five Live commentator). In it Bishop stated he'd heard a very interesting rumour only 2 days ago. He heard that Michael had put quite a bit of weight on over the off-season (very unlike the superfit Michael we're used to hearing about) and has been encouraged by his wife to stop. Bishop went on to say he had heard that if Michael finds that the Bridgestone and Ferrari package is uncompetitive in early season testing then he could pack it in pre-Melbourne!

As for replacements, Bishop stated he thought Ferrari will have already contemplated this and Alonso would be most likely as Flav is his manager and could cash in big time with a move to Ferrari. Mark Webber under Flav contract as well could come to Renault and how about this....Justin Wilson could join Jag!

Now obviously I expect Michael to be on the grid in Melbourne and will be dissapointed if he isn't but from what he was saying he was of the same belief but thought that this happening wouldn't be 'impossible' from what he had been told!

Last edited by Gaz; 10 Jan 2004 at 18:46.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 18:47 (Ref:833688)   #2
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting stuff. Anything's possible.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 18:50 (Ref:833692)   #3
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
I would also add actually, that it's quite late for Schumacher to get back in the car now. He's usually right on it straight after Christmas.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 18:52 (Ref:833695)   #4
mansellmania
Racer

mansellmania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Schumacher could retire before Melbourne 04!

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaz
Hey guys, thought I would pass this one on!Visited the Autosport Show today at the NEC and heard a very interesting discussion between Matt Bishop (F1 Racing editor) and Maurice Hamilton (Five Live commentator). In it Bishop stated he'd heard a very interesting rumour only 2 days ago. He heard that Michael had put quite a bit of weight on over the off-season (very unlike the superfit Michael we're used to hearing about) and has been encouraged by his wife to stop. Bishop went on to say he had heard that if Michael finds that the Bridgestone and Ferrari package is uncompetitive in early season testing then he could pack it in pre-Melbourne!

As for replacements, Bishop stated he thought Ferrari will have already contemplated this and Alonso would be most likely as Flav is his manager and could cash in big time with a move to Ferrari. Mark Webber under Flav contract as well could come to Renault and how about this....Justin Wilson could join Jag!

Now obviously I expect Michael to be on the grid in Melbourne and will be dissapointed if he isn't but from what he was saying he was of the same belief but thought that this happening wouldn't be 'impossible' from what he had been told!
You should know matt bishop is a guy who loves to brag about having breakfast with the boys from mclaren aside from quoting himself in his own columns( sofar the only journalist ive ever seen practising such selfindulging stuff .
I suspect hes heard the rumour there.
I dont rate bishop a lot as a reporter.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 18:54 (Ref:833698)   #5
mansellmania
Racer

I should add that roebuck once answered an ask nigel letter about when shumi would retire that he thought shumi would not renew his contract... 4 weeks later shumi signed till the end of 2006.

Bit of a shame every year, every day, every bad place or result shumi gets.. media loves to speculate about shumi retiring.
Why cant they just focus on other stuff and report it when it does actually happen.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 18:59 (Ref:833705)   #6
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mansellmania
I should add that roebuck once answered an ask nigel letter about when shumi would retire that he thought shumi would not renew his contract... 4 weeks later shumi signed till the end of 2006.
What's that got to do with anything? The man's allowed to have an opinion, doesn't mean it has to come true.

Quote:
matt bishop is a guy who loves to brag about having breakfast with the boys from mclaren...
I suspect hes heard the rumour there.
I dont rate bishop a lot as a reporter
That's what journalists do - talk to people who are in the know about these things. I doubt anyone else on this board has dined with "the boys from McLaren" so he probably has a great deal more information than us.

Back to topic, I don't recally MS doing that much pre-season testing in the last few years, but it is odd that he hasn't had a hand in doing some vital tyre testing work at all.... Bridgestone could use his input.

Last edited by cos; 10 Jan 2004 at 19:03.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 19:15 (Ref:833719)   #7
mansellmania
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by cos
What's that got to do with anything? The man's allowed to have an opinion, doesn't mean it has to come true.

That's what journalists do - talk to people who are in the know about these things. I doubt anyone else on this board has dined with "the boys from McLaren" so he probably has a great deal more information than us.

Back to topic, I don't recally MS doing that much pre-season testing in the last few years, but it is odd that he hasn't had a hand in doing some vital tyre testing work at all.... Bridgestone could use his input.
mika hakinnen never tested in the winter too, it was dc who did all the work.
In this case rubens barrichello didnt show his nose that much either.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 19:33 (Ref:833731)   #8
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting story, but I doubt it'll happen. I expect Shummy to see out his current contract as least.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 19:37 (Ref:833733)   #9
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Also, I doubt Micheal will give up if the car is uncompetitive in testing. He's not the kind of person to give up.

But hey, anything is possible, I guess.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 19:40 (Ref:833734)   #10
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Quote:
Originally posted by Down F0rce
I expect Shummy to see out his current contract as least.
I don't experct him to see out his current contract. If he ends up 3rd say, in the WDC this year he'll go.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 20:16 (Ref:833756)   #11
fordtc87
Rookie

United States
Indianapolis, IN
fordtc87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who really thinks that Ferrari won't be competitve? I mean come on, with the points system the way it is now means you just need to be competitive to do well. You don't have to win every race like 2002.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 20:43 (Ref:833783)   #12
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It really does all depend on Bridgestone fordtc87!Ferrari could invent the best car in the world but if the tyres aren't anywhere near the pace of Michelin they're going to struggle!Early indications are that Bridgestone aren't currently on the pace of Michelin, how far off I dont know!

Back to the original story, I think we all believe Schumacher will be on the grid and I certainly hope he will I think he was just saying look I've heard a story and it isn't impossible that it could happen
Old 10 Jan 2004, 21:05 (Ref:833790)   #13
DaveOrama
Rookie

DaveOrama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An interesting one. There's nothing like getting out while your on top, as unlikely as it seems.....
Old 10 Jan 2004, 21:08 (Ref:833792)   #14
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This sounds like typical Matt Bishop journalism.

He loves to reveal something spectacular once in a while, but since in my knowledge he hasn't actually done so he invents pure spectulalation. During 2001 and one his favourite targets were Irvine, Frentzen and Alesi. Having missed out on the Scoops of the Rahal/Jaguar ordeal and the Frentzen/Alesi swap he joined other lesser journos in venting his anger at the drivers in question. Branding them "sportscar" fodder and raking the muck among therir respective mechanics.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 21:19 (Ref:833803)   #15
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I should point out that this rant has nothing to do with my pro- alesi stance.................I'm also anti-irvine.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 21:26 (Ref:833807)   #16
Hamish Weir
Rookie

Hamish Weir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Matt Bishop just opens his mouth and lets his belly rumble. As Alesi95 said he misses all the big stories and and writes about the old ones instead. Come on Get a grip
Old 10 Jan 2004, 21:26 (Ref:833809)   #17
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's possible I guess.

We whinge about him now, but if he wasn't there anymore we'd miss him.

When the stuff about his drunken rampage post-Suzuka came onto the net it struck me as strange, he Ralf and Panis were all a bit, er, jolly, but Schumi was the one who looked really out of it, with the big cigar and the drunken idiocy that I've never seen from him before, and not being in the car yet is another little hint. Maybe he's in a strop over the competitiveness of the Ferrari/Bridgestone, maybe he's under pressure to quite, maybe he'll bne in Melbourne, maybe not. It's interesting...
Old 10 Jan 2004, 21:44 (Ref:833814)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's quite possible he wants to leave the sport on a winning note with his sixth title - therefore if the new Ferrari looks like it is in for a struggle he may walk away.

On the other hand, can anyone really see him turning his back on Ferrari just like that? It would strike me as a bit strange, and anyways, Corina Schumacher has been trying to talk him into retirement for ages since 2000. I also find it hard to believe that Michael has put on excessive weight and has let his fitness drop....I can't even see that happening when he's retired!!!

No, I reckon he'll stop at the end of the year (it's certainly more likely).....I fully expect to see him at Melbourne!
Old 10 Jan 2004, 22:12 (Ref:833826)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting concept... how precisely Schumi will be able to tell in one outing if the 2004 Faz is any good or not is a bit difficult...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 10 Jan 2004, 22:25 (Ref:833833)   #20
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
I don't experct him to see out his current contract. If he ends up 3rd say, in the WDC this year he'll go.
Why?
Old 10 Jan 2004, 22:26 (Ref:833835)   #21
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

*get's on his knees and puts his little hands together*
Oh dear God, can You hear me?
It's me, ASCII Man...
I'm not normally a religious man but if You're up there, please, could You get that awful, awful man to retire?

I hereby present an offering of milk and cookies, if You want me to drink the milk and eat the cookies, please show no sign whatsoever...

Thy will be done!
Old 10 Jan 2004, 22:27 (Ref:833838)   #22
DaveOrama
Rookie

DaveOrama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes we can't count out the Ferrari team, but Bridgestone will certainly up against it this year. Schuey might be able to get a "feel" for the competiveness of the car. It might be just that too....if he can't fit in it.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 22:38 (Ref:833845)   #23
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
I would also add actually, that it's quite late for Schumacher to get back in the car now. He's usually right on it straight after Christmas.
Once you get in the position Schumachers in let the "monkeys" do the testing.
From Bridgestone site:
World Champion Michael Schumacher, meanwhile, will be back on track before the end of January as the team begins intensive tyre testing with Bridgestone's engineers before the arrival of the new Ferrari F2004.

Ferrari and Bridgestone engineers have all been hard at work over the winter in an effort to develop new tyres to match the new Ferrari machine and February will see the true test before the season starts in March.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 22:45 (Ref:833857)   #24
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
actually....it would not surprise me.....anything is possible i guess......maybe jacques v. has been feeding him copious amounts of pasta and vino rosso in order to get himself a scarlet seat for 2004....only kidding....only kidding.......
Old 10 Jan 2004, 23:33 (Ref:833904)   #25
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by ASCII Man
*get's on his knees and puts his little hands together*
Oh dear God, can You hear me?
It's me, ASCII Man...
I'm not normally a religious man but if You're up there, please, could You get that awful, awful man to retire?
Thats weird ASCII Man, I did the same thing and sure enough, BAR dumped him

I guess we'll see if god likes you as much as me

As for the story, well in Melbourne we can drag this thread back up, grab the names of the 'fools', take them outside and execute them.