Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 8 Jun 2006, 21:01 (Ref:1630224)   #1
Paulc
Rookie

Paulc has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Kart on a roof rack

Hi All, At the moment I run my sons Kadet Kart around in an old volvo 740 estate,I also have a modern Merc that has no tow bar the reason for buying the volvo was so I didnt have to chop the Merc about to have a towbar fitted,thing is as you can expect two cars are a bit costly to run two lots of insurance, tax etc.
I remembered today that my Father used to roof rack he's Kart about,anybody still doing this or has there been two many cars and Karts parting company!
Merc has glass sunroof is that a no no.
Would Appreciate some advice please.
Paul
Old 8 Jun 2006, 21:13 (Ref:1630231)   #2
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A cadet kart should be OK on the roof as its light enough. A few things to remember.

o Take as much weight off the kart as possible... definitely remove the engine.
o Take as many anti-aero parts off such as the wheels.
o Make sure its a decent roof rack that's secured to the car properly.
o Properly rope the kart down to the rack, bungy chords are not good enough.
o Don't drive like a madman... stick below 60mph on the motorway.

Hopefully this works. I do know what you mean about karts falling off the roof though... I almost met my maker 15 years ago while following behind a friend of mine who had a fully laden 100 National come off on the A13 as he decided to race me to Tilbury... things you do in your youth !
Old 10 Jun 2006, 15:37 (Ref:1631195)   #3
yelodwg
Racer

United States
Arnold, CA, USA
yelodwg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul,

When I picked up my new chassis, I brought it home on my roof rack. Of course, it was just the frame, but my rack is rated up to 100 lbs, so more could be added to the kart.

Here's a photo: http://www.kartfinder.com/images/Trackmagic1.jpg

Tom
www.kartfinder.com
Old 14 Jun 2006, 22:24 (Ref:1634704)   #4
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've always wanted to put my Rotax on top of my Beemer with official (and chunky) BMW roof rack but been too scared. I think I might try it for Matchams which is 10 minutes away, but longer races down at Clay or up at Forest Edge would be too much for it I think. Then again its been on top of blocks of wood on my knackered old trailer tent from the 70s and survived!
Old 17 Jun 2006, 12:17 (Ref:1636253)   #5
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Used to carry Kart on roof rack of my fathers car without any problems when I started many moons ago. All a question naturally of how you secure it, weight is not a problem nor should be a sunroof.