Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 15 Dec 2010, 03:48 (Ref:2804601)   #51
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Ok My last track before Christmas.....
I'm going away for a break....

This isn't a MS Paint one, I have downloaded Sketch up-8 and am still learnig how to use it.

This started off as a 1.4 mile (2.25km) club track incorprating a club level drag strip and a karting complex. Then it got an additional loop for national races. Its reasonably wide (46 feet or 14 metres).
The later loop section in the western part of the circuit adds 0.75 miles to the whole complex making it 2.15 miles or 3.46km.
Attached Files
File Type: skp Mountainstar 3.skp (99.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 15 Dec 2010, 10:31 (Ref:2804660)   #52
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would you do me a favor and post a screenshot? I uninstalled sketchup and wouldn't want to reinstall again just to see your track, but I'd love to see it.

Thx.

bio
Old 15 Dec 2010, 18:27 (Ref:2804846)   #53
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
Would you do me a favor and post a screenshot? I uninstalled sketchup and wouldn't want to reinstall again just to see your track, but I'd love to see it.

Thx.

bio
Sorry bio but I am having trouble getting the screenshot sorted out or I would post it. Can anyone help? SBF?
Old 15 Dec 2010, 21:13 (Ref:2804917)   #54
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Oh, no prob.

bio
Old 15 Dec 2010, 23:44 (Ref:2804965)   #55
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here is the screen shot of the top view of Teretonga's circuit.
Attached Thumbnails
Mountainstar 3.jpg  
Old 15 Dec 2010, 23:47 (Ref:2804966)   #56
Teretonga
Veteran

Thanks SBF.
Can you explain how you did that?
Old 16 Dec 2010, 00:17 (Ref:2804978)   #57
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Click on File at the top of the screen
From the drop down select Export and then 2D graphic.
From their you have the option to save the image to your drive in several formats, the default is .jpg
From their load them on using either attachments or other image host.

What ever is on your screen, whether it be a plan view or an Iso view, that is what's captured.

Don't worry if you have tool boxes open around the screen like the texture palette, its only the main image that's captured.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 00:53 (Ref:2804982)   #58
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Thx, SBF!

I like this one. Simple, but it's one of its strengths.

bio
Old 16 Dec 2010, 00:54 (Ref:2804983)   #59
bio
Veteran

Hungary
As for the screenshot - isn't using the PrintScreen (or PrtScr) button of the keyboard (and then crtl+V in an image processing software) simpler?

bio
Old 16 Dec 2010, 04:04 (Ref:2804997)   #60
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Teretonga that was a great job men! from my point of view, that is the kind of circuits I usually like/do. I have only one minor change, and it will be based on experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Scr5cBUy88

Watch this vid ^^^ and look at T5 which looks exactly as your track, it's ridable but not 100% safe, because I have witnessed at least 4 accidents there in 5 events I've attended, it's always natural for drivers to put max power at that point and go wide and if something goes wrong your going at the wall , that's why there's lots of straw bales , because that's a natural point for vehicles in motion to fall in due to kinetics,

That's why I would put the apex a little sooner and close the turn a bit for double purpose of slow down entry speed and gain a few more meters of space, and project racers at a shallower angle relative to the wall.

The red line is the race line (more or less) with the current shape and the pink line is the race line as well, but a little away from tha wall. You can still get a much better line if you hit your turn point a little later, but I'm showing like the worst case scenario with both configurations.
Attached Thumbnails
fix.JPG  

Last edited by LuiggiSpeed; 16 Dec 2010 at 04:12.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 06:47 (Ref:2805017)   #61
Teretonga
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiggiSpeed View Post
Teretonga that was a great job men! from my point of view, that is the kind of circuits I usually like/do. I have only one minor change, and it will be based on experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Scr5cBUy88

Watch this vid ^^^ and look at T5 which looks exactly as your track, it's ridable but not 100% safe, because I have witnessed at least 4 accidents there in 5 events I've attended, it's always natural for drivers to put max power at that point and go wide and if something goes wrong your going at the wall , that's why there's lots of straw bales , because that's a natural point for vehicles in motion to fall in due to kinetics,

That's why I would put the apex a little sooner and close the turn a bit for double purpose of slow down entry speed and gain a few more meters of space, and project racers at a shallower angle relative to the wall.

The red line is the race line (more or less) with the current shape and the pink line is the race line as well, but a little away from tha wall. You can still get a much better line if you hit your turn point a little later, but I'm showing like the worst case scenario with both configurations.
Thanks LuiggiSpeed
I redrew it several times and then realigned the whole corner again and played with it for ages before ever posting it. I know it probably isn't perfect and your experience on bikes is something I don't have.
Airbags etc is all well and good but if there a way to avoid putting riders in that position then thats what good design is about.
Old 19 Jan 2011, 22:20 (Ref:2818019)   #62
Teretonga
Veteran

Back from Christmas travel and holidays and into the design process....

This is a club track, 2.9 km or (1.8 miles), the main straight can be used as a drag strip or escape road as its in anticlockwise direction.
(One of the graphics is a jpg. the other is sketchup but the same pic.)
Attached Thumbnails
harwood 1.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: skp harwood 1.skp (50.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 20 Jan 2011, 03:42 (Ref:2818087)   #63
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
It's been a bit strange lately. What I mean is, there have been four tracks posted quite recently that I've thought would be better to run in the opposite direction to what the author has designated. There's Rosepatch and Pedro Lamy from Bio, SBF's latest effort, and now this club circuit from you, Teretonga. It's just odd because I've occasionally gotten this impression about a circuit posted, but never so many in such a short window.

Anyway, I like the outline of this one. It's fairly simple, with a good flow, and a variety of turns, including some quick ones.
Old 20 Jan 2011, 09:02 (Ref:2818152)   #64
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
T1/2/3 works really well for overtaking. The rest is a nice, flowing club track. The first section works well in anti-clockwise for me, as it's a elongated version of the final Turkey corners, which, love them or hate them, provide some fun overtaking opportunities, as well as the opportunity to return a pass.

Selby
Old 20 Jan 2011, 11:18 (Ref:2818222)   #65
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Well, I guess this one would be about just as good in one direction than in the other. Simple, still effective. Nice one.

bio

PS: Wasn't there a discussion here a couple of years back whether dragstrips can be used as parts of "normal" tracks or not? Some argued they cannot, others said why not - and I don't remember what the final verdict was...
Old 20 Jan 2011, 12:18 (Ref:2818261)   #66
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Isn't some of Hockenheim used as a drag strip?

I think part of the straight between the end of the new infield section joining up with the final sector is used for drag.

Selby
Old 20 Jan 2011, 13:38 (Ref:2818289)   #67
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Isn't some of Hockenheim used as a drag strip?
Yeah, that was what thos "pro" comments mentioned too - some even included a picture. Some others had some counter-atrguments to say about this, as far as i can remember... Anybody can remember how that discussion took place? It was a long ago, no chance to find it without a clue...

bio
Old 20 Jan 2011, 15:13 (Ref:2818343)   #68
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
As I recall it was that the outrun of the drag strip was fine to use, the issue was on using the initial 150-200m or so where all the serious rubber is layed down.

Hockenheim does this, as the start of the Drag stip is actually between the turn into the stadium and the exit from the stadium. The full outrun actually goes all the way up to the "new" hairpin of the rebuild.

The Google Earth Image is pre-Tilke
Attached Thumbnails
Hockenheim.jpg  
Old 20 Jan 2011, 18:12 (Ref:2818431)   #69
Teretonga
Veteran

I think the main problem is the build up of rubber and various chemicals etc in the acceleration and burnout areas.
There are tracks that have been built and licenced in the last few years that have the runouts (as in mine) that are part of the race circuit.

I have heard of drag racers complaining that corners off the strip create surface bumps that unsettle their cars.

Regarding the direction, this could go both ways and I cjhose the have a tight corner at the end of the straight to encourage overtaking. Normally I have a flowing section after the start to eliminate that mass bunching of cars on a slow corner and everyone hitting the pics to avoid each other on the first turn.

Thats why I don't rate Shanghai, Sepang or many other Tilke tracks very highly.
Old 26 Jan 2011, 20:59 (Ref:2821021)   #70
Teretonga
Veteran

Heres a little club track. Its short, (1.92km or 1.2miles) relatively simple and has sufficient run off for club racing. The main straight isn't that long but the corners off it are quite fast and flowing. The infield pit area is primarily for signalling an dtechnical assistance during club races.

The circuit is at the run out end of a drag strip which is why the straight disappears off to your left.
The main pit area is down there too, as is the dummy grid.
The centre also has a kart track incorporated in it but that design is just a 'blob' for location. Starting is on the main straight leading into the sweeper, direction being anti clockwise. Core track width is 12m (40 feet)

The alternative esses at the end of the straight is for testing purposes and for karters when using the circuit for road racing.
Attached Thumbnails
Tect 1.jpg  
Old 27 Jan 2011, 02:57 (Ref:2821140)   #71
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
I think the main problem is the build up of rubber and various chemicals etc in the acceleration and burnout areas.
There are tracks that have been built and licenced in the last few years that have the runouts (as in mine) that are part of the race circuit.

I have heard of drag racers complaining that corners off the strip create surface bumps that unsettle their cars.
Yes, all the tracks I ridden in PR were just like that,IMHO using the acceleration section in a road racing event is both dangerous and annoying because not only it's slippery, if it drops a couple of raindrops it gets real funny , more like soap, and then the bad side efect is that we screw up the drag strip for our cousins there, the black surface is known around here as the "byte" is solid concrete with lots of rubber, when you walk over that stuff your soles kind of stick to the ground , it's nice for drag racers but you should try to avoid as much possible to use the byte with road racing cars or bikes.
Old 2 Feb 2011, 07:35 (Ref:2824352)   #72
Teretonga
Veteran

Okay.
5471metres or 3.4 miles of clockwise bitumen.
It begins with an 850m straight and leads into a right/left kink before straightening up and leading into a medium mildly banked (6 degree) right hander. This opens up into a straight that begins to climb half way along its length before turning right and opening up a little downhill before swinging left into a long 190 degree banked left hander.

As you come out of this up to 8 degree banking you straighten up before turning right onto a medium straight. At the end of this is a long climbing left hander that swings right while continuing to climb before beginning to level off as it swings left again.

Hit the brakes at the crest and prepare to turn right into a fairly steep right hander leading downhill and then levelling out before some demon braking into the right hand hairpin.

Out of here into a mild left that swings back right over a small crested hillock before a long left leading you to another hairpin, this one fairly flat but quite technical. A long curving 'straight with the pit entry on your right brings you to the final corner, another nearly flat (3 degrees) 160 degree turn leading on to the pit straight.

Theres a lot of development work needed on the actual drawing but the circuit is essentially as described.
Attached Thumbnails
Staten Isl 5471m.jpg  

Last edited by Teretonga; 2 Feb 2011 at 07:45.
Old 2 Feb 2011, 12:18 (Ref:2824476)   #73
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Apart from the apparently missing gravel traps at T1 and at the end of the "back straight" I think it's a hugely enjoyable track. The flow is just great IMHO, the track length is just fine. The only thing I would change (maybe) is the "right side" straight - maybe it could be a bit longer.

Oh, one more thing: I think the pit exit might be better before T1...

All in all, both thumbs up!

bio
Old 5 Feb 2011, 06:27 (Ref:2826020)   #74
Teretonga
Veteran

Thanks bio

I didn't place the traps because I though the nature of the curive wouldn't trequire them and there was intended to be no obstruction to missing the first turn and rejoiningg at three but may be I need a rethink.

The other one is uphill might require some sealed run off but I wasn't thinking of a sandtrap at that point. I'll lookat in detail when I refine it a little.
Old 11 Feb 2011, 22:25 (Ref:2829864)   #75
Teretonga
Veteran

This is another national/international track of around 1.95 miles in the short version, the extension taking it to 2.3 miles (3.7km) so its long enough for internationals like WTCC, Superbikes, WSR, GT1 etc.
it actually runs counter to what you might expect....Its anticlockwise.
Attached Thumbnails
Slater 3.14k (1.jpg