Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Which driver is going to win the VASC Driver’s Championship In 2018?
#1 Jamie Whincup RBHRT Holden 6 14.63%
#2 Scott Pye WAU Holden 1 2.44%
#5 Mark Winterbottom Tickford Ford 0 0%
#6 Cameron Waters Tickford Ford 1 2.44%
#7 Andre Heimgartner NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#8 Nick Percat BJR Holden 0 0%
#9 David Reynolds Erebus Holden 1 2.44%
#12 Fabian Coulthard DJRTP Ford 1 2.44%
#14 Tim Slade BJR Holden 0 0%
#15 Rick Kelly NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#17 Scott McLaughlin DJRTP Ford 22 53.66%
#18 Lee Holdsworth Team18 Holden 0 0%
#19 Jack Le Brocq Tekno Holden 0 0%
#21 Tim Blanchard TBR Holden 0 0%
#23 Michael Caruso NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#25 James Courtney WAU Holden 1 2.44%
#33 Garth Tander GRM Holden 0 0%
#34 James Golding GRM Holden 0 0%
#35 Todd Hazelwood MSR Ford 0 0%
#55 Chaz Mostert Tickford Ford 4 9.76%
#56 Richie Stanaway Tickford Ford 1 2.44%
#78 Simona de Silvestro NisMoAu Nissan 0 0%
#97 Shane van Gisbergen RBHRT Holden 2 4.88%
#99 Anton de Pasquale Erebus Holden 1 2.44%
#230 Will Davison 23RED Ford 0 0%
#888 Craig Lowndes ALR Holden 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25 Aug 2017, 09:14 (Ref:3761487)   #776
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Davison Unsure Of 2018 Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by The article
“We are still unsure, we have no plans at all for next year at this stage,” Davison told Speedcafe.com.
“There is nothing to report but I’m pretty keen to get it sorted out.
The article is kinda odd... it's like he wants to go somewhere else, hasn't gotten a deal up yet, but Tekno is an okay fallback. A fallback.. would you really want a driver in your squad that sees you as a fallback...

Last edited by GTRMagic; 25 Aug 2017 at 13:05. Reason: Correct my stuffed up code
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 25 Aug 2017, 10:09 (Ref:3761497)   #777
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=GTRMagic;3761487]Davison Unsure Of 2018 Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by The article
“We are still unsure, we have no plans at all for next year at this stage,” Davison told Speedcafe.com.
“There is nothing to report but I’m pretty keen to get it sorted out.
[/url]

The article is kinda odd... it's like he wants to go somewhere else, hasn't gotten a deal up yet, but Tekno is an okay fallback. A fallback.. would you really want a driver in your squad that sees you as a fallback...
Maybe the invoices for driving services are still "slightly" behind
Old 25 Aug 2017, 10:47 (Ref:3761502)   #778
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While I won't declare that I'll eat my hat if Davison is at Tekno, I'm not googling hat recipes either...
Old 26 Aug 2017, 00:15 (Ref:3761614)   #779
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
mceci1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Davison Unsure Of 2018 Ride

This was brought up a few weeks back, interesting to see someone like Davison in a battle to sign a contract
Old 26 Aug 2017, 01:00 (Ref:3761623)   #780
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
While I won't declare that I'll eat my hat if Davison is at Tekno, I'm not googling hat recipes either...
The question becomes one of 'where next'..
The top end of town has seen the driver and 'allowed' him to move on.

Davison Bros Racing @ LDM?
Old 26 Aug 2017, 01:07 (Ref:3761626)   #781
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Davison family are no strangers to running their own cars, and plenty of money kicking around at the Christmas dinner
Old 26 Aug 2017, 01:55 (Ref:3761640)   #782
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The question becomes one of 'where next'..
The top end of town has seen the driver and 'allowed' him to move on.

Davison Bros Racing @ LDM?
If the claims are true on GRM with 4 cars, Davison could end up there, provided he has funding big enough. Davison, Stanaway, Moffat and Tander wouldn't be a bad combination. Still rather see Richie in a Ford but odds are it isn't going to happen yet
Old 26 Aug 2017, 02:48 (Ref:3761654)   #783
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
The Davison family are no strangers to running their own cars, and plenty of money kicking around at the Christmas dinner
...and a rare event that they spend their own money on motorsport
Old 26 Aug 2017, 03:01 (Ref:3761656)   #784
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No, not directly.
Old 26 Aug 2017, 03:37 (Ref:3761660)   #785
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe a direct swap for an Albury based pilot?
Old 26 Aug 2017, 11:22 (Ref:3761691)   #786
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GRM expanding to 4 cars means one more thing - that there'll be even more Holdens in the field... is it time to rename Supercars into Holden Supercars Cup?
Old 26 Aug 2017, 12:13 (Ref:3761695)   #787
FPV8U
Racer

Australia
3rd Rock from the Sun.
FPV8U should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
GRM expanding to 4 cars means one more thing - that there'll be even more Holdens in the field... is it time to rename Supercars into Holden Supercars Cup?
Not if the REC's come from LDM but yes the saturation of Commodores isn't a good look for the series.

When you have teams like PRA looking at letting a young gun drive for another outfit due to team restrictions of 4 cars under one banner, yet it's ok for one manufacturer to represent 60% of the field
Old 26 Aug 2017, 12:26 (Ref:3761698)   #788
Umai Naa
Veteran

There's no incentives from the teams to go to the likes of Ford.
Old 26 Aug 2017, 12:55 (Ref:3761701)   #789
FPV8U
Racer

Australia
3rd Rock from the Sun.
FPV8U should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what incentives are there for a GRM or Bjr to run Commodores?
Old 26 Aug 2017, 13:20 (Ref:3761703)   #790
Umai Naa
Veteran

No reason to change.
Old 26 Aug 2017, 22:22 (Ref:3761781)   #791
WatchingOn
Rookie

WatchingOn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting how everyone thinks that Stanaway is a shoe in for each and every one of the available seats for 2018, and that he automatically jumps all those drivers that have done the hard yards in the other series.

He is a good driver but so are the top half in the Dunlop field.

He won a race, so did Dumbrell x 2 and De Pasquale, Stanaway 3rd for the round and the other 2 were 2nd and 1st.

Dumbrell is super experienced and is a great benchmark for these young guys, De Pasquale is only in his 2nd year and 1st in this car.

Hazelwood had a quiet round, but is still leading the championship, had a great race 3, Jacobson and Le Brocq were thereabouts.

There are a few drivers that could move up to any of those seats
Old 26 Aug 2017, 23:48 (Ref:3761794)   #792
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U View Post
what incentives are there for a GRM or Bjr to run Commodores?
As a Ford person I hate saying it, but Ford in a lot of motorsports now aren't showing a lot of interest it seems. GRM and BJR are looking into a new make, so its rumoured, and GRM confirmed they were in talks with Kia. Realistically, unless Ford give some form of backing to the current two teams, no one is going to move to them, except, possibly Erebus when Commodore NG comes. For Ford to expect a Mustang they also need to back DJR and PRA, it will be a major new task compared to if they were to ask to introduce the fusion, which is very similar to the FGX and is a logical choice due to the fact they have some idea with aero
Old 27 Aug 2017, 00:08 (Ref:3761797)   #793
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchingOn View Post
Interesting how everyone thinks that Stanaway is a shoe in for each and every one of the available seats for 2018, and that he automatically jumps all those drivers that have done the hard yards in the other series.

He is a good driver but so are the top half in the Dunlop field.

He won a race, so did Dumbrell x 2 and De Pasquale, Stanaway 3rd for the round and the other 2 were 2nd and 1st.

Dumbrell is super experienced and is a great benchmark for these young guys, De Pasquale is only in his 2nd year and 1st in this car.

There are a few drivers that could move up to any of those seats
If you use Paul Dumbrell as a yardstick, I'm not overly convinced there's that many in Super2 with the pedigree to step up and not get lost, particularly dependent on which team they drive for. I'd say De Pasquale shows great promise and toughened by OS experience, same can be said for Stanaway, and Hazelwood is showing what he can do in a decent piece of kit. Thats about it right now IMO, and as I said, all that would be depending on which team these blokes might drive for, I'm not sure I'd be rushing to spend a year in an LDM car.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 00:24 (Ref:3761802)   #794
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
I would think GRM with 4 cars in the main game would be a stretch for them, engineering wise and certainly funding wise. They have 4 chassis right now, yet are still reliant on WP for an engine supply...

All could be overcome with the influx of money, and perhaps a new manufacturer.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 00:54 (Ref:3761805)   #795
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Where are the RECs going to come from?

I can't see the likes of PRA, DJRTP, or the Kellys selling any of theirs.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 01:28 (Ref:3761810)   #796
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Where are the RECs going to come from?

I can't see the likes of PRA, DJRTP, or the Kellys selling any of theirs.
Unless of course someone like Mr Schwerkolt chooses a simpler option for his racing operation and they manage to source another customer (Britek, TBR..) as well
Old 27 Aug 2017, 02:15 (Ref:3761817)   #797
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anybody bemoaning the balance of Ford vs Holden teams in Supercars only needs to think back to Ford's decision to cut support.

You just can't argue with these numbers, from the VF Commodore's total:

Quote:
68% of wins by Triple Eight team
80% of wins by Triple Eight-built cars
Who would want a Falcon when we know they are finicky to set up and PRA can't even do it week in week out?

Anybody who thinks there are more Holdens for any other reason only needs to think back to how bloody good the 888 FG was in the hands of smaller teams.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 03:15 (Ref:3761824)   #798
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
You're right Mixer, but in all honesty, a balance of marques might have been relevant in 2007 but I dont get why anyone really cares in 2017? The tribalism is gone, surely?
Old 27 Aug 2017, 07:22 (Ref:3761854)   #799
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
If you use Paul Dumbrell as a yardstick, I'm not overly convinced there's that many in Super2 with the pedigree to step up and not get lost, particularly dependent on which team they drive for. I'd say De Pasquale shows great promise and toughened by OS experience, same can be said for Stanaway, and Hazelwood is showing what he can do in a decent piece of kit. Thats about it right now IMO, and as I said, all that would be depending on which team these blokes might drive for, I'm not sure I'd be rushing to spend a year in an LDM car.
The thing is too with Dumbrell, he wasn't an amazing talent in his solo campaign, he is one of, if not the best ENDURO driver, but wasn't any good even with a decent car as a main driver, more a mid to high midfielder, would be interesting to see the results if he came back though
Old 27 Aug 2017, 07:30 (Ref:3761855)   #800
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Anybody bemoaning the balance of Ford vs Holden teams in Supercars only needs to think back to Ford's decision to cut support.

You just can't argue with these numbers, from the VF Commodore's total:

Who would want a Falcon when we know they are finicky to set up and PRA can't even do it week in week out?

Anybody who thinks there are more Holdens for any other reason only needs to think back to how bloody good the 888 FG was in the hands of smaller teams.

Your right in the whole Ford cutting funding, however I do think its a slight bit unfair to compare the ability of the car to the team, PRA/FPR as history shows, has never been a true champion team, even with a good car, the FGX, they still struggle, 2015 showed signs of promise for us Ford fans, but as usual, PRA went back to disappointment in 2016. Again this year, one could argue still a disappointment, DJRTP have no issues with setting the car up, so that must lead one to think that it isn't the car, but the capabilities of the team. We also know how much they chop and change engineer line ups compared to DJR, Triple 8's constant line up. The FG no doubt, wasn't the best car aero wise, but its predecessors were a dominant force.