Toro Rosso: Carlos Sainz jr., Stefano Coletti
Caterham: Alexander Rossi, Sergio Canamasas
Marussia: Rodolfo Gonzalez, Tio Ellinas
Old 15 Jun 2013, 19:45 (Ref:3263125)   #2
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some interesting names there.

No Paffett or Turvey at McLaren? I know Paffett doing the Young Driver Tests is an utter joke, but I would have expected that Oli Turvey would have had a day?

Force India have an interesting pair. Razia doesn't surprise me that much, but Calado certainly does. Good for him. It's actually a great fit - Force India have definitely picked up a few decent drivers without the money for FI like James. Are either of these 2 official reserve drivers for FI? Was expecting Conor Daly to get some time in the Force India.

Williams - So there is truth in the Astana / Mercedes rumour then in terms of Juncadella. I hope he's taken into the Williams fold like Bottas, Hulkenberg and Rosberg were. Although he's not nearly as good as any of them.

Toro Rosso - Surprised Coletti is in again this year. I know he leads GP2 but didn't Red Bull drop him a long time ago? And where's Kvyat? He's definitely stepped up his game over the last few months.
Old 15 Jun 2013, 19:47 (Ref:3263126)   #3
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
Some interesting names there.

No Paffett or Turvey at McLaren? I know Paffett doing the Young Driver Tests is an utter joke, but I would have expected that Oli Turvey would have had a day?

Force India have an interesting pair. Razia doesn't surprise me that much, but Calado certainly does. Good for him. It's actually a great fit - Force India have definitely picked up a few decent drivers without the money for FI like James. Are either of these 2 official reserve drivers for FI? Was expecting Conor Daly to get some time in the Force India.

Williams - So there is truth in the Astana / Mercedes rumour then in terms of Juncadella. I hope he's taken into the Williams fold like Bottas, Hulkenberg and Rosberg were. Although he's not nearly as good as any of them.

Toro Rosso - Surprised Coletti is in again this year. I know he leads GP2 but didn't Red Bull drop him a long time ago? And where's Kvyat? He's definitely stepped up his game over the last few months.
He's doing the ELMS full-time with Jota... doing the 24 Hours of Le Mans, too. I think he's pretty much done with open-wheel racing.
Old 15 Jun 2013, 21:07 (Ref:3263153)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it's often not to do with whether they're done with formula stuff, it's more to do with "simulation calibration" and other such technicalities.

Last edited by bella; 15 Jun 2013 at 21:15.
Old 16 Jun 2013, 00:10 (Ref:3263212)   #5
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Regalia was expected here for the tests, but it seems not...
Old 16 Jun 2013, 00:18 (Ref:3263217)   #6
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They're giving the likes of Prost, Wolff and Canamasas tests, but not Nasr. That's a joke, even for the standards of these things in the past.
Old 16 Jun 2013, 12:00 (Ref:3263373)   #7
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
Regalia was expected here for the tests, but it seems not...
With whom?

Agree on Nasr, but he has no link to an F1 team so I guess it isn't that surprising.
Old 16 Jun 2013, 12:02 (Ref:3263374)   #8
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not a full list.

It's possible that Regalia and Daly will join Force India.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 13:41 (Ref:3264860)   #9
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
They're giving the likes of Prost, Wolff and Canamasas tests, but not Nasr. That's a joke, even for the standards of these things in the past.
I'll bet Enstone will be looking at testing out a few more wallets than those 3 as well.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 13:46 (Ref:3264863)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
wish they'd flippin' well test sorensen, at least they've let stockinger have a few demo runs.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 18:39 (Ref:3265023)   #11
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
YOUNG drivers test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulahistory View Post
...... Susie Wolff........
a joke on at least two counts ;-)
Old 20 Jun 2013, 15:35 (Ref:3265509)   #12
jobdone
Racer

jobdone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know if there's public access to this? I maintain F1 testing is the best way to watch the cars in action! Cars on track from 9-5 (barring the lunch break), and awesome value for money! I greatly miss the test days they had before the ban came into effect!
Old 20 Jun 2013, 22:20 (Ref:3265760)   #13
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulahistory View Post
It's possible that Regalia and Daly will join Force India.
That's it. Campos authorized Regalia to say he's seeking the funding for the Force India test.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 00:44 (Ref:3265840)   #14
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobdone View Post
Does anyone know if there's public access to this? I maintain F1 testing is the best way to watch the cars in action! Cars on track from 9-5 (barring the lunch break), and awesome value for money! I greatly miss the test days they had before the ban came into effect!
Agreed! Testing was great!

Used to have free access to the pits too!
Also got to see new and interesting innovations!
Old 21 Jun 2013, 09:09 (Ref:3265958)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Sam Bird will perhaps be somewhat disappointed if Merc has its way at the tribunal.

I suspect that these 'young' drivers will be judged more on their capacity to not hit anything or run off into gravel traps etc, rather than how quick they can go.

Yes, testing was great, but very, very expensive! But we definitely need more testing, I don't think that there is any doubt about that.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 13:43 (Ref:3266071)   #16
jobdone
Racer

jobdone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Agreed! Testing was great!

Used to have free access to the pits too!
Also got to see new and interesting innovations!
Ah you see I only ever got pit access when I joined the Silverstone Racing Club!

Although I remember being excited as heck when the security guard let me under the tunnel at Copse once and I managed to get onto the infield and find some cracking viewing areas.
Old 22 Jun 2013, 03:25 (Ref:3266301)   #17
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobdone View Post
Ah you see I only ever got pit access when I joined the Silverstone Racing Club!

Although I remember being excited as heck when the security guard let me under the tunnel at Copse once and I managed to get onto the infield and find some cracking viewing areas.

Being able to go through the pits makes racing a far more rewarding experience. I am really surprised that that F1 has not arranged a raised walkway in any of their new venues where people could get a insight into what happens in the pits.

I suppose it is just the general ethos of those in charge that the fans are just mugs who should be fleeced for every last penny that can be squeezed out of them. c.f. Pay TV.
Old 22 Jun 2013, 03:33 (Ref:3266302)   #18
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Sam Bird will perhaps be somewhat disappointed if Merc has its way at the tribunal.

I suspect that these 'young' drivers will be judged more on their capacity to not hit anything or run off into gravel traps etc, rather than how quick they can go.

Yes, testing was great, but very, very expensive! But we definitely need more testing, I don't think that there is any doubt about that.
What really bothers me about no testing is the "run what you brung" mentality that it promotes.

This particularly applies to McLaren this year who have admitted that their new car is a giant leap backwards. They cannot run last years car because it has not done this years safety tests, and they are unable to fix this years car because of the testing and chassis modification rules.
How is this scenario fair on their sponsors?
How is this fair on the viewing public?
How is it fair on any of the McLaren stakeholders?

I believe Mercedes has suffered mightily with this problem over the past 3 years.

Last edited by wnut; 22 Jun 2013 at 03:49.
Old 22 Jun 2013, 11:57 (Ref:3266442)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Perhaps McLaren should try building a better car to start with.

But I would prefer unlimited testing myself.
Old 23 Jun 2013, 14:15 (Ref:3268362)   #20
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Merc could compensate Bird with enough backing to race the entire current GP2 season with no budget constraints.
Old 23 Jun 2013, 14:34 (Ref:3268376)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Perhaps McLaren should try building a better car to start with.
A valid argument. Then again the costs involved in guessing one's way to a great design, quite possibly equate to a season of testing anyway. As I recall the problem with testing was the dedicated test teams and the additional cost thereof. So, why not allow the race teams to test?
Old 1 Jul 2013, 19:43 (Ref:3272591)   #22
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Latest news on this is that all 3 days at Silverstone are open to the public. Advance tickets on sale on the Silverstone website at £15 per day. No information on what parts of the circuit are open for viewing yet, but an "entertainment court" is being laid on at Woodcote.

http://www.silverstone.co.uk/events/...epslanguage=en

Also race drivers now permitted to test at the event, not just young drivers

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108493
Old 1 Jul 2013, 21:18 (Ref:3272634)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
A valid argument. Then again the costs involved in guessing one's way to a great design, quite possibly equate to a season of testing anyway. As I recall the problem with testing was the dedicated test teams and the additional cost thereof. So, why not allow the race teams to test?
An easy way would be to stay at tracks after the GP and do a test there. Obviously this can't be done on temporary circuits and between back-to-back races. But that still leaves plenty.
Old 6 Jul 2013, 10:30 (Ref:3274540)   #24
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With the race drivers now allowed to take part in this test will the young drivers still get the running they were originally set for?
Old 6 Jul 2013, 16:58 (Ref:3274626)   #25
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Yes. But not all testing days.