Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 9 May 2008, 19:04 (Ref:2197798)   #1
pit bull
Racer

United Kingdom
In the pit lane, Cheshire
pit bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tyres and rims

how bad is putting 240/610-R17 slicks on 17x7 alloy rims?

Some say he spent it on fags, some say he exchanged it for a traffic light air freshner for his race car. all we know is he's called PIT BULL! :)[/QUOTE]
Old 9 May 2008, 20:33 (Ref:2197838)   #2
VT-R
Rookie

England
Yorkshire, England
VT-R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For that size I'd guess 9" would be optimum with 8" being minimum recommended. On a 7" id think it would be starting to look a little trapezoidal, but how it would perform would all depend on the side wall construction, generally the lower the profile ratio the worse it'll be effected.

From my limited experience if it did fit ok I'd just expect the break away point to be a little less predictable and a little more woolly than on the correct rim.
Old 9 May 2008, 20:47 (Ref:2197849)   #3
pit bull
Racer

United Kingdom
I have been told that they would fit ok, maybe just adjust the tyre pressures a little more..

Some say he spent it on fags, some say he exchanged it for a traffic light air freshner for his race car. all we know is he's called PIT BULL! :)[/QUOTE]
Old 9 May 2008, 21:07 (Ref:2197864)   #4
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit bull
I have been told that they would fit ok, maybe just adjust the tyre pressures a little more..
but presumably you have reservations which is why you asked?
Old 11 May 2008, 13:06 (Ref:2198899)   #5
pit bull
Racer

United Kingdom
yes, thats why I asked.

Old 11 May 2008, 14:58 (Ref:2198993)   #6
banger_racer
Racer

England
essex
banger_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive just done a google search and it seems they should be fitted to 9" with 8" being minimum width like VT-R said.
Old 12 May 2008, 07:12 (Ref:2199776)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
The concensus seems to be to go the other way is good (within reason) but to squeeze onto too small a rim is not so good because it will cause to much sidewall flex which will lead to tyres getting hot etc.
Old 16 May 2008, 23:58 (Ref:2204456)   #8
TEAM78
Racer

United Kingdom
TEAM78 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
sounds ambitious to me,
Old 18 May 2008, 21:06 (Ref:2205853)   #9
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
The concensus seems to be to go the other way is good (within reason) but to squeeze onto too small a rim is not so good because it will cause to much sidewall flex which will lead to tyres getting hot etc.
I agree with Al.
Old 19 May 2008, 06:53 (Ref:2206143)   #10
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree too

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 19 May 2008, 07:22 (Ref:2206164)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me too,hence my original post.Sidewall flexing is really not in my book for optimum car response.
Old 19 May 2008, 23:16 (Ref:2206905)   #12
TEAM78
Racer

United Kingdom
TEAM78 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Bit of a dime bar moment
i was meaning ambitious to fit 240's to a 7" rim, something I wouldnt personally ever entertain. I didnt know it was even possible till this thread.
Couldnt figure why people were respnding till I read it all the way through and then relised peeps thought I was disagreeing with Al when yep I agree with Al, 100%

Give that man a medal
Old 20 May 2008, 07:26 (Ref:2207042)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Nice to get something right! :-) Actually and although I only managed a total of 6 laps it still gave me a feel especially around Gerards, I have just fitted 8inch x 18 inch rims to the front and 9 x 18 to the rear (curtesy of a Jaguar XK8 so very reasonable ebay purchase) and I came by some unused Toyo 888's for the front but they turned out to be only 235 x 40's not the 245's I was told but at 50 quid a pop I thought what the heck. I thought they were a tad narrow for the rims but I must say the front end of the car suprisingly felt very positive and precise and did'nt wash away at all so at fifty quid a pop they will do for now, I bought 275 x 35's for the rear incidently and still could'nt hook up out the hairpin!
Old 20 May 2008, 07:41 (Ref:2207053)   #14
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a not unheard of practice in certain karting formulas which allow wider rims when they are struggling to generate enough heat into the tyres.