Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Mar 2010, 05:07 (Ref:2644574)   #1
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
V8 Rims

With the start of the 2010 season, I thought that there was a certain rim ALL teams had to use in 2010, but after watching the last two races OS I noticed that most teams are running the chrome 8 spoke rim. But HRT seemed to be running a white multi spoke rim.

So is there a rim that the whole feild has to run or can team pick and choose what rim they want to run.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 4 Mar 2010, 05:22 (Ref:2644577)   #2
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the new control wheel (mostly seen on the FPR & JDR cars) is compolsary from PI onwards.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 05:42 (Ref:2644585)   #3
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah they would have to give the teams some time to switch out all the other wheels they already have.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 07:55 (Ref:2644626)   #4
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The control wheel will become mandatory from Phillip Island, but teams will still be able to use their current wheels in practice sessions for another 12 months.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 08:13 (Ref:2644638)   #5
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Thanks Pro and rest of you.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 5 Mar 2010, 00:44 (Ref:2645220)   #6
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The new rims look tits by the way. Better even than the ones used by Triple 8...
Old 5 Mar 2010, 08:51 (Ref:2645339)   #7
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by St00ge View Post
Yeah they would have to give the teams some time to switch out all the other wheels they already have.
Er, does that mean replace in Australian?
Old 6 Mar 2010, 01:03 (Ref:2645899)   #8
St00ge
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Er, does that mean replace in Australian?
It means what ever you want it to be princess.
Old 18 Jul 2010, 06:36 (Ref:2728347)   #9
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Per the announcement last year, all teams will be required to use the control rims in the race from the next round, but can continue to use existing rims for another 12 months in practice. With the proposed change to 18" rims from 2012 is this still the case?

Some teams appear to still have plenty of their old rims at the moment, the control rim has not been used by WR yet while other teams have been running combinations of the 2.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 22:44 (Ref:2729378)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And what of the development series wild cards? Are they required to switch to the new rims too?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 20 Jul 2010, 12:09 (Ref:2729565)   #11
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
And what of the development series wild cards? Are they required to switch to the new rims too?
Logic would say "Yes"
Old 20 Jul 2010, 12:48 (Ref:2729578)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Logic would say "Yes"
None of the three have used them thus far... so maybe they dont have any ?
Old 21 Jul 2010, 00:11 (Ref:2729863)   #13
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
None of the three have used them thus far... so maybe they dont have any ?
Its not exactly an insurmountable problem. More so in previous years when they had a different ECU and so on.
Old 21 Jul 2010, 00:28 (Ref:2729865)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Given that each of these cars are looking to the second driver to bring significant funds to merely participate, as opposed to compete, I would suggest the $$ may actualy be an issue

Perhaps the lease of an FG from 888 will include the new rims?
Old 21 Jul 2010, 05:00 (Ref:2729924)   #15
Green Hornet
Racer

Green Hornet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Speedcafe it says they have to comply with current Supercar specs but does not refer to rims specifically.

Quote:
The addition of the three teams for the two long distance races boosts the V8 field up to 32 cars. All three teams will be parked at the start of pit lane. Each entry will have to update their race cars to conform with current V8 Supercars rules, which include updated side impact protection, the new control camshaft and Alcon brake packages.
Old 21 Jul 2010, 05:25 (Ref:2729930)   #16
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes they would be required.
Old 21 Jul 2010, 05:40 (Ref:2729933)   #17
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Can understand the desire to move to a control rim for cost reasons, but surely would be better to allow teams continuing with their current stock until they have been exhausted. I don't think there is much performance gain between the brands, certainly not enough to stop teams running both during races this year.

Conceivably some teams could be carrying enough stock through until the end of 2011 when there may be a change to 18" rims rendering all the 17" rims redundant. With a car probably needing a minimum 24 or 28 rims for Bathurst is a big outlay for a development series team.
Old 21 Jul 2010, 05:42 (Ref:2729936)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
A team gets 8 sets of Dunlops for Bathurst, plus practice tyres, wets & travellers... presumably this is ~48 wheels per car...
Old 21 Jul 2010, 06:02 (Ref:2729943)   #19
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
The rules are the rules. just because they were awarded wildcard entries for the enduros doesnt mean they suddenly dont have to follow the main game rules!
Old 21 Jul 2010, 08:14 (Ref:2729989)   #20
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Assuming you guys are talking about wheels as found on a v8 supercar then we need to wait for the supplimentry rules before we know what wheel they have to run

yes i know an announcement was made, but maybe with the COTF some leeway is being given
Old 22 Jul 2010, 01:29 (Ref:2730417)   #21
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Assuming you guys are talking about wheels as found on a v8 supercar then we need to wait for the supplimentry rules before we know what wheel they have to run

yes i know an announcement was made, but maybe with the COTF some leeway is being given
Personally I was dissappointed when i clicked on this thread only to find they were talking about a different rim....
Old 22 Jul 2010, 02:36 (Ref:2730428)   #22
St00ge
Veteran

I was under the impression that the previous rule for wheels is that they had a minimum weight, so all these different style rims weight the same so why the **** would you be so stupid to go to a control wheel when you basically have one and as such make some teams buy complete sets again for two cars for basically one season!!

Who knows the rims may only have a life of a couple of seasons (For the main game) but seems like a stupid waste to me, unless the company offering the new control rim are offering a exchange deal and just recycle the old rims as I don't see a massive market for used 17" racing rims.. The one thing tho is the teams agreed to this so they would probably know know what they are doing
Old 22 Jul 2010, 02:47 (Ref:2730430)   #23
Racer

6157 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan-L View Post
The rules are the rules. just because they were awarded wildcard entries for the enduros doesnt mean they suddenly dont have to follow the main game rules!
If they're going to run in the main game events, they damn well should.
Old 23 Jul 2010, 00:09 (Ref:2730922)   #24
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
Can understand the desire to move to a control rim for cost reasons, but surely would be better to allow teams continuing with their current stock until they have been exhausted. I don't think there is much performance gain between the brands, certainly not enough to stop teams running both during races this year.
Its not about performance, the new rims cost half as much as the old ones.
Old 23 Jul 2010, 10:41 (Ref:2731079)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
V8Supercar A Big Export Market For Rimstock