Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 6 Aug 2010, 01:45 (Ref:2740153)   #1
gpbullock
Rookie

gpbullock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Track Designs Needed

Hey folks, I've got 480 acres in CA. and am working on a Motorsports Country Club concept for the property. I'm currently working on concept material, feasibility, etc. and need a preliminary road course design for a concept overview.

Basics for the course:
It will be a country club style concept (ie: autobahn)
Possibly sanctioned course for periodic club and pro racing, cars and bikes
Safety is critical, gravel run outs, guardrails (no grass)
3.2 mile road course, 3 min. variations for track variety and to run different venues simultaneously
Amount of corners is variable but will be limited by property requirements
Integrated 1/4 mile dragstrip for occasional friday night drags so a min. 1/2 mile straight
Kart track
Pit area with garages
Limited to 320 acres, less commercial and residential development areas.

Non-track Info.
Area is a sensitive use area so limited development, no grass and very little water usage.
Looking at 16 Max. 1 acre home sites on Eastern Side of property
North end of property will include approx. 16 acres for parking, commercial space, residential condo/townhomes located above pedestrian commercial zone

Property info:
Property is 1 mile long North to South, and 3/4 Mile long West to East.
The google location is:
35 32' 37.40" N
117 44' 11.43" W
Elev. 11544'

You can see our existing 6 Mile offroad rally course which we would like to also integrate into the road course but that can be done without much issue.

Anyway, I would be interested in hearing your perspectives in all things relating to this project. Email for anyone interested in contacting me:
gpbullock@yahoo.com
Old 6 Aug 2010, 04:17 (Ref:2740190)   #2
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Love to take a look!!!
Old 6 Aug 2010, 13:33 (Ref:2740382)   #3
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The coordinates you gave, are those of the center of the property? Also is it a more or less perfect rectangle? I'll just take that as my base. I think the location has some opportunities.

You probably know that we're not so much qualified circuit designers so I'll advise you to contact people who know what is safe and what is not before starting the building of the track. You probably planned on doing that anyway but you can't be too safe.

Is there any kind of reward for the best design?
Old 6 Aug 2010, 16:32 (Ref:2740500)   #4
gpbullock
Rookie

The coordinates were actually an overview location. Here is a photo with the aprox. property lines. I will need to have the road course and infrastructure all within the center rectangle. The property to our east is someone elses. The property on our west is ours but includes a large arroyo which we probably won't be allowed to put anything permanent there. If we are allowed however it could add 45 + feet in elevation changes. It's cool on the offroad rally course, just may not be allowed with asphalt. I'm open to suggestions as far as reward for the concept design of the track. Of course the track will ultimately be engineered by a professional but it's possible the track design offered here would still be the basis of the final product. This is obviously a long term project, we are still dealing with issues from a potential solar farm going in next door so our views may not end up as pristine as they are now.

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 6 Aug 2010 at 22:45.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 21:10 (Ref:2740650)   #5
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Here's a quickie from me.
Click image for larger version

Name:	country club.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	391.4 KB
ID:	28433
It's a bit on the long side at just over 9 km/5.6Mi total length but of course the room clearly is there. Just let us know if there's anything wrong or not to your liking about this design so we can use that commentary in later designs.

P.S. I'm away for two weeks starting tomorrow. I hope you won't miss me too much.
Attached Files
File Type: skp country club.skp (468.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 6 Aug 2010, 21:20 (Ref:2740657)   #6
gpbullock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintin03 View Post
Here's a quickie from me.
Attachment 28433
It's a bit on the long side at just over 9 km/5.6Mi total length but of course the room clearly is there. Just let us know if there's anything wrong or not to your liking about this design so we can use that commentary in later designs.

P.S. I'm away for two weeks starting tomorrow. I hope you won't miss me too much.
Thanks for your assistance Quintin03. In the design you submitted it looks like the east side of the course is on the adjacent property. Everything has to stay within the middle rectangle. I'll see if I can post something up with a little more detail on what I'm looking for. Again, thanks for the help.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 21:52 (Ref:2740676)   #7
gpbullock
Rookie

Here is a quick sketchup pic with the approx. location of the house lots, the top area is where the commercial/residential space and parking would be and the rectangle on the mid portion is where track side operations would be ie. pits

General Location Pic, looking from Northeast to Southwest

Image on facebook

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 6 Aug 2010 at 22:46.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 22:00 (Ref:2740688)   #8
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
The east circuit might be a bit too far east. I must say that the west circuit on its own is already satisfying to your requirements and if needed the east circuit could be removed completely.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 09:44 (Ref:2740864)   #9
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Area 51.5"?

Really?

bio
Old 7 Aug 2010, 16:04 (Ref:2740986)   #10
gpbullock
Rookie

There still isn't a name so we named it Area 51.5 just to call it something. Also, the real Area 51 is nearby so it kinda fit.
Old 8 Aug 2010, 12:25 (Ref:2741336)   #11
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Here's one:

Selby
Attached Thumbnails
dryven suggestion.jpg  
Old 9 Aug 2010, 16:18 (Ref:2742002)   #12
Alexander86
Rookie

Netherlands
Amsterdam
Alexander86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpbullock View Post
Here is a quick sketchup pic with the approx. location of the house lots, the top area is where the commercial/residential space and parking would be and the rectangle on the mid portion is where track side operations would be ie. pits

General Location Pic, looking from Northeast to Southwest

Image on facebook
This sounds interesting.
Could you please post the sketchup file as a downloadable attachment I can work with?
Old 9 Aug 2010, 19:04 (Ref:2742094)   #13
gpbullock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander86 View Post
This sounds interesting.
Could you please post the sketchup file as a downloadable attachment I can work with?
Here is the sketchup file.

Parameters.skp
Old 10 Aug 2010, 00:50 (Ref:2742226)   #14
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Okay I looked it over and took a shoot, this is a little from the hip and I'm not trying to show all the facilities and amenities, nor the run-offs, there's plenty of space for that, believe me, the distances are pretty big between the sections, you will need to place gravel traps and barriers at certain places that are obvious, so I'll skip that. Take this ones as an example of the potential your area has.

These are the 3 tracks you requested seen on separate colors for easy visualization.

Yellow Track is 2.3 miles long, intended to run CCW.
Red Track is 1.25 miles long, intendedn to run CW or CCW
Blue Track is 2.19 miles long, intended to run CW or CCW

The whole thing is 5.9 miles long intended ti run CCW

This variant is 3.2 miles long intended to run CCW.

Folks can drag all nite long on mom's cars while the rest of us can enjoy blue track at the same time.

The possibilities are endless, that's only the first idea that came to my mind, the track I draw is pretty "scientific" but the track can be made more organic, or some organic sections combined with scientific sections.

Just like to read your comments.

Last edited by LuiggiSpeed; 10 Aug 2010 at 00:56.
Old 10 Aug 2010, 01:33 (Ref:2742249)   #15
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States

This would be a more detailed layout showing the access roads,the pit lanes,safety barrs run-offs etc. remember this is very preliminary.

Last edited by LuiggiSpeed; 10 Aug 2010 at 01:41.
Old 10 Aug 2010, 04:11 (Ref:2742268)   #16
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More brilliance from Luiggi.
Old 10 Aug 2010, 12:16 (Ref:2742418)   #17
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Luiggi

Old 10 Aug 2010, 12:36 (Ref:2742428)   #18
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Holyyyyyyyyy you know what.... Luiggi - Legend.

I wish I could somehow get to that level.

Selby
Old 10 Aug 2010, 23:41 (Ref:2742820)   #19
gpbullock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiggiSpeed View Post

This would be a more detailed layout showing the access roads,the pit lanes,safety barrs run-offs etc. remember this is very preliminary.
I like the layout a lot, very well thought out set of courses. Individually they all look like great tracks and combined it would make an amazing circuit. I could also see possibly developing the yellow and red courses initially and having the blue course as a phase 2. I think if there is a way to consolidate the pit lanes to approach uniformly from the Northwest would be better for traffic. Otherwise, the location for the long straight is perfect for spectating from the proposed commercial area/club. And the course layout as shown would be great for spectating from the homesites as another benefit. A side note, the inside portion of the course will most likely be natural and undisturbed without any infrastructure due to possible limitations/mitigation of species set up by the environmental impact study. Looks great so far!
Old 12 Aug 2010, 23:47 (Ref:2743836)   #20
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpbullock View Post
I could also see possibly developing the yellow and red courses initially and having the blue course as a phase 2. I think if there is a way to consolidate the pit lanes to approach uniformly from the Northwest would be better for traffic. Otherwise, the location for the long straight is perfect for spectating from the proposed commercial area/club. And the course layout as shown would be great for spectating from the homesites as another benefit. A side note, the inside portion of the course will most likely be natural and undisturbed without any infrastructure due to possible limitations/mitigation of species set up by the environmental impact study. Looks great so far!
Oh thank you all!

I moved things around a little bit to make room for such combined pit lane ,there's aprox 37,750 sq meters available in the "common area" ,shown in dark grey, because of the direction of the circuits they come in opposed but having the access road in between, with safety barriers between all, should provide top safety. I had to rethink yellow track at the end of the straight and that area, for safety reasons, I was apprehensive about that chicane there, getting a bit too "Monza" and prone to accidents and track re-entry so I redid that section but add a chicane to slow things down a bit before entering the section,and the geometry of the track proyects out of control vehicles away from the track rather than into it.Also add a bypass section to allow use of yellow track combined with blue track and still use the drag strip. The blue track also gets a double apext turn rather than the ultra-tight hairpin and some sweeping just before the pit straight.

Old 13 Aug 2010, 17:32 (Ref:2744213)   #21
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
here'e the "green track" which can be used as a full blown circuit while drag racing is being done as well.
Attached Thumbnails
green_track.jpg  
Old 14 Aug 2010, 10:55 (Ref:2744483)   #22
Alexander86
Rookie

Netherlands
Amsterdam
Alexander86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Luiggi, your design is awesome!

There is no point for me to continue on my own design, as it would be far below par or a weak copy of yours.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 02:30 (Ref:2747419)   #23
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
I hope you all are being sincere
Old 20 Aug 2010, 10:42 (Ref:2747533)   #24
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiggiSpeed View Post
I hope you all are being sincere
No, they're just hoping for a cheap Caribbean summer holiday

bio
Old 20 Aug 2010, 22:59 (Ref:2747829)   #25
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame