Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 27 Feb 2012, 14:52 (Ref:3031938)   #1
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
SBF's 2012 designs

OK so here is the first one of 2012, albeit very late since it's just about the end of Feb.

Following on from the tutorial thread, here is my first attempt using Himlar's method of elevation.

It's track and simple slopes and plateaus only first off as a trial

Image one shows area elevated area and also circuit travelling over top of, and around side of a hill.
Image 2 shows a drop below the main track level and back up again.

I've left the edge lines in place for the moment, but for final version would hide them.

I have to say that this was the quickest method I've used so far, no doubt as I try it more, and get more involved designs then it becomes more difficult.
Attached Thumbnails
track only 1.jpg   track only 2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: skp Test 1 track only.skp (137.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 20 Mar 2012, 13:36 (Ref:3045335)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't seem to have a lot of time for fully drawn circuits so I'll put up these two outline designs

Both run anti-clockwise, I can't remember the length of March 1 but March 2 is almost exactly 4 miles 6.4km.
Attached Thumbnails
March 1.jpg   March 2 dims.jpg   March 2.jpg  

Old 20 Mar 2012, 18:27 (Ref:3045509)   #3
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 2nd one is a real beauty. I'd like to suggest adding a shortcut to it for touring cars, beginning from the exit of Turn 1 towards the left and then joining the adjacent straight.
Old 6 Apr 2012, 20:42 (Ref:3054622)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Another layout only design from me

Running anticlockwise, from a single pit complex where the arrow is located.

Click image for larger version

Name:	March 3 options.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	36592

The Full Black Circuit is 5.82km or 3.64

Use the colours and tell me what versions you'd like different categories to run on.
Attached Files
File Type: skp March 3.skp (120.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 7 Apr 2012, 15:46 (Ref:3054908)   #5
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Called April 1 this is a modification of Knockhill that would add half a mile to it's length.

Name:	April 1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	447.6 KB
ID:	36600
Old 27 Apr 2012, 14:01 (Ref:3066164)   #6
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Another design for April.

Name:	April 3 Top.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	36756
Running Clockwise for 4.895km (3.06 miles)

Other views can be seen below, and if anyone actually bothers to view this circuit, comment and criticisms are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
April 3 T123.jpg   April 3 T89.jpg   April 3T101112.jpg  

April 3 Final Corner.jpg  
Old 28 Apr 2012, 19:30 (Ref:3066664)   #7
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not much to critisize exept one thing. Why didn't you put the podium in front of the grandstand?
Old 28 Apr 2012, 20:48 (Ref:3066699)   #8
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I had the idea of a bridge to a platform style podium at an early stage in the design. So it was added in in 3D before I'd even started on the gravel traps. The grandstand was the final element added to the design.

Going back to the podium, with the backdrop (not included) in place at an angle. The crowds would be allowed onto the track in time for the podium presentations.
Old 29 Apr 2012, 01:31 (Ref:3066752)   #9
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolute stunner of a track
Old 30 Apr 2012, 07:18 (Ref:3067263)   #10
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh you've basically nailed it there, mate. Great job. Bit of everything without being too 'on purpose' about it, if that makes sense?

Selby
Old 5 May 2012, 14:04 (Ref:3069828)   #11
Yannick
Veteran

I agree with the others. This is a great circuit. Massive. I've given up on my ficticious racing series but if I'd still do that, I'd try to get this 2nd track of April onto the calendar.

This deserves to be developed for a racesim program. It's that great.
Old 8 May 2012, 07:35 (Ref:3071005)   #12
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
I agree with the others. This is a great circuit. Massive. I've given up on my ficticious racing series but if I'd still do that, I'd try to get this 2nd track of April onto the calendar.

This deserves to be developed for a racesim program. It's that great.
I've wanted to do this for ages. I'd love to throw a couple of my tracks in to the mix. I'd definitely do it.

Selby
Old 10 May 2012, 23:45 (Ref:3072474)   #13
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
On to the next design.

The first image shows the outline as originally envisaged complete with dimensions.

Name:	May 1 dimensions.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	36947
As you can see it's 3.77 miles or 6.032 kms in length.

The second images shows the development of the circuit complete with pit lane to give an indication of direction... it's Clockwise

Name:	May 1 outline.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	36948

The next image jumps to the completed circuit, which has developed 2 link sections giving the circuit 4 possible layouts.

Name:	May 1 Top View.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	401.2 KB
ID:	36949

Using Short Cut 1 (straight on at T2 and rejoin before T7)
Length : 3.24 miles 5.190 kms

Using Short Cut 2 (straight on at T9 rejoining at T14)
Length : 2.86 miles 4.587kms

Using both short cuts
Length : 2.34 miles 3.745 kms

Two angled views to finish with

Name:	May 1 view 2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	340.7 KB
ID:	36950 Click image for larger version

Name:	May 1 View 3.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	36951

As usual comments Criticisms and possible edits are welcomed.
Old 24 May 2012, 00:31 (Ref:3078587)   #14
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
This next circuit is unfinished in terms of gravel traps etc.

The circuit is split into two circuits for race school and clubbie requirements. All variations run anti-clockwise

Name:	May 3 unfinished.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	37124

Left Circuit: 1.916 km (1.19 miles)
Race School events operate from it's own independent Paddock area, It doesn't have a live pit.
The circuit length is approximately that of Brands Hatch Indy and Knockhill.

Name:	May 3 Left.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	37125

Right Circuit: 3.28km (2.02 miles)
Operates from the Main pit complex, Exits the longest straight by way of a fast left hander before joining the infield section.

Name:	May 3 Right.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	359.2 KB
ID:	37126

Perimeter Circuit : 4.143 km (2.59 miles)
Operates from main pit complex. Has it's own section avoiding the infield rejoining at the final corner. It has a pitlane entry that cuts across the track from the infield section approach to the final corner.

Name:	May 3 perimeter.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	37127

Grand Prix Circuit : 5.354km (3.34 miles)
Operates from the main pit complex, and utilises the full infield section including it's own section that joins the Left circuit to the infield section of the Right circuit.

Name:	May 3 GP.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	327.0 KB
ID:	37128

If anyone is interested in finishing the design, or wants to make proper edits, let me know and I'll upload the file.
Old 24 May 2012, 21:12 (Ref:3078973)   #15
Yannick
Veteran

The 10th of May track is very nice: 3 "fingers" with 3 distinctly different solutions for the 180 degrees they need to turn around, and a "bow"-shaped backstretch. This is one of your best.
Old 3 Jun 2012, 04:41 (Ref:3084122)   #16
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like "The Full Black Circuit is 5.82km or 3.64" that is my kind of circuit, space efficient and technical, this gets an A from me
Old 3 Jun 2012, 15:54 (Ref:3084544)   #17
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
A first one for June

It's just a basic outline with an arrow for where the pit complex would be, and the circuit direction.

Name:	June 1 Top.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	37198

I've attached the Sketch up file if anyone wants to take it further.
Attached Files
File Type: skp June 1.skp (196.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 13 Jun 2012, 15:03 (Ref:3090203)   #18
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Here is June 2

For a while I've wanted to experiment with a curved S/F so here I've finally done on

Anti-clockwise
5.90km 3.69 miles

Name:	June 2 Top.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	260.1 KB
ID:	37303

As usual comments criticisms and possible Edits are welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails
June 2 Curving Straight.jpg   June 2 Chicane.jpg   June 2 The Snake.jpg  

June 2 loop.jpg  
Old 19 Jun 2012, 07:44 (Ref:3094617)   #19
Yannick
Veteran

The first of June one is great but would also be very interesting in anticlockwise direction. Thank you for posting.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 20:18 (Ref:3096109)   #20
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
A third one for June...

Measuring 5km / 3.126 miles (ok it's 5.001km) and runs clockwise

Perhaps more of a bike and Grade 2 type circuit than an F1 circuit, consists of 17 bends.

Images show the dimensions of the straights, the pits being constructed. the Full finished circuit and finally a more detailed view of the pits
Attached Thumbnails
June 3 Dims.jpg   June 3 Stage 3.jpg   June 3 finish.jpg  

June 3 pits.jpg  
Old 25 Jun 2012, 12:29 (Ref:3097745)   #21
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could still guess it's an SBF-design. Trademark style is trademark style, after all

Good one you've got there... still

bio
Old 25 Jun 2012, 14:41 (Ref:3097798)   #22
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Thanks bio, Good to have you around again.

I note that your drawing and sketching PC died... sorry to hear that, a few of your ideas would help to bring this section back to life again.
Old 28 Jun 2012, 23:00 (Ref:3099662)   #23
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
A 4th circuit for June, and it's another of my Multi layout ideas

All circuits run Clockwise

North West Circuit = 2.976 km or 1.86 miles
South East Circuit = 2.445 km or 1.53 miles

Name:	June 4 NW SE.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	37534

Boomerang Circuit = 1.636 km or 1.02 miles

Name:	June 4 Boomerang.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	37535

International Circuit = 4.558km or 2.86 miles

Name:	June 4 International Circuit.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	37536

Grand Prix Circuit = 5.927 km or 3.70 miles

Name:	June 4 Grand Prix.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	37537

As usual comment criticisms and possible edits are welcomed.
Old 29 Jun 2012, 11:30 (Ref:3099808)   #24
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haha, SBF, gotcha! Back a few years you said to one of my designs that a mild turn the the end of the S/F straight was the only thing you didn't like - and now, here you are with a slight turn at each of your S/F straights :P

Just kidding, of course. This one's good the way it is, IMHO - especially the perimeter track.

Which one's the primary S/F line, BTW? I'm guessing the upper one?

bio
Old 29 Jun 2012, 12:38 (Ref:3099827)   #25
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Either pit could be primary, but if I remember correctly, the Southern pit is slightly longer
T2 the fairly open Hairpin being the first overtaking place.

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 29 Jun 2012 at 20:41.