Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Jun 2017, 09:39 (Ref:3741553)   #1
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Panoz and Green4U

Not sure where best to put this, but I GUESS we can call it a "rumor" until it's actually built.

Panoz's secret project unveiled, and it's definitely out of left field:
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/p...-56-contender/

I'm looking forward to seeing if they can make it work - In Formula E discussions people keep telling me it's impossible to make a racecar that can have it's batteries swapped out easily during a pitstop AND provide enough power to have decent speed and range. Hopefully this comes to fruition and proves the matter one way or another.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 11:32 (Ref:3741579)   #2
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a looker for sure....
Old 15 Jun 2017, 11:48 (Ref:3741591)   #3
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing if they can make it work - In Formula E discussions people keep telling me it's impossible to make a racecar that can have it's batteries swapped out easily during a pitstop AND provide enough power to have decent speed and range. Hopefully this comes to fruition and proves the matter one way or another.
I could see that in an open wheel setup but a sportscar chassis offers much more range of mounting options and locations. Course from knowing a lot of engineers from college, those who say impossible are always wrong and usually take the simple easy route not the guys who truly make new things.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 14:53 (Ref:3741653)   #4
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Panoz and Green4U

Green4U Panoz Racing GT-EV

Quote:
Green4U was founded late last year, and subsequently acquired the DeltaWing Technology Group, Panoz LLC and Team Panoz Racing.

"Our goal is to run our car in a race, perhaps even applying for a future Garage 56 slot"

Initial performance targets include 400-450kW total power, with a top speed of between 175-180mph.

The car will run on removable battery packs, allowing for batteries to be swapped out during pitstops, with a targeted range of between 90 and 110 miles.

There are also plans for a street-legal sports car based on the GT-EV.
The removable battery packs sounds very interesting and useful.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 14:58 (Ref:3741656)   #5
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I can only say good luck to them, anybody who tries a bit of innovation in motorsport is a good one in my books
Old 15 Jun 2017, 15:05 (Ref:3741662)   #6
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I can only say good luck to them, anybody who tries a bit of innovation in motorsport is a good one in my books
I agree, I hope this makes it to the track! I wonder what it would be like for the driver to have all that weight on one side? The effort required to turn that to the left could be tough.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 15:11 (Ref:3741666)   #7
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I echo these thoughts. Wish them well, like someone thinking outside the box, but the future of electric cars is touchy with me. For them to be viable, they need to be powered by renewable energy, not fossil fuels, because you rob me of hearing the burning of dead dinosaurs otherwise.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 15:13 (Ref:3741667)   #8
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Has a weight for the battery pack been announced. There was an overall vehicle weight, but I don't remember weight for the battery pack, which will have to be handled somehow during pit stops.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 15:22 (Ref:3741671)   #9
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Front end looks like a cross between a DP and a Chevron B16...

Assuming this runs in '18 it amuses me that Panoz would beat Formula E to changeable batteries. I wonder how much of the battery technology is likely to be new/cutting edge?
Old 15 Jun 2017, 15:24 (Ref:3741672)   #10
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Has a weight for the battery pack been announced. There was an overall vehicle weight, but I don't remember weight for the battery pack, which will have to be handled somehow during pit stops.
That could hopefully be the new technology development - smaller and lighter battery packs which are giving more power and lasting longer... I think I could be wishing too much there at the moment!
Old 15 Jun 2017, 15:24 (Ref:3741673)   #11
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I imagine the battery pack will just be inserted on dolly jacks.

I don't think pack will be getting changed on pit road, at least in America. The concrete wall that most tracks mean you'd have to wheel the batteries around, and you'd be extremely restricted on space. It'd be easier just to put the car behind the wall, do a quick change and back out. Since this isn't competing in a proper class, it doesn't matter - it just needs to be a good proof of concept.

For Le Mans it's possible, but it looks extremely difficult to do in the US. Good luck to them making this concept work. At least it's actually trying to progress technology, which is very nice!
Old 15 Jun 2017, 15:32 (Ref:3741677)   #12
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
... Since this isn't competing in a proper class, it doesn't matter - it just needs to be a good proof of concept.

For Le Mans it's possible, but it looks extremely difficult to do in the US. Good luck to them making this concept work. At least it's actually trying to progress technology, which is very nice!
Thanks for that. Yes, I imagine it would be changed in garage and not on pit road, which them opens up several possibilities for mechanical assistance to accomplish that.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 15:34 (Ref:3741678)   #13
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I don't think pack will be getting changed on pit road, at least in America. The concrete wall that most tracks mean you'd have to wheel the batteries around, and you'd be extremely restricted on space. It'd be easier just to put the car behind the wall, do a quick change and back out. Since this isn't competing in a proper class, it doesn't matter - it just needs to be a good proof of concept.

Hoist or gantry? Good point.

This is a unique deal as Formula E you have to change cars. Now, we have a large scale RC car!
Old 15 Jun 2017, 19:16 (Ref:3741845)   #14
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Quote:

I could see them being granted a specific pit stall for each event to show the concept, close to the openings to allow that change behind the wall faster. Yes, it would be a huge 'advantage' over all the way to the garage but to test the concept possibly worth it. I know some series go by points to assign pit boxes, no idea actually how IMSA does it though.

They have a huge advantage over the Formula E cars in terms of packaging. More room to place the batteries and connections than an open wheel, ergo the offset driving position. I really wanted to see Formula E develop a pit lane gantry system, car pulls up, then is lifted off of battery system. Old rolled out, new rolled in and car returned to the ground, possibly even with electric jacks in the battery pack like the air jacks in cars now. Yes I know, crazy and goofy but would be fun to see and would keep the batteries low in the car.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 19:43 (Ref:3741878)   #15
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Not sure where best to put this, but I GUESS we can call it a "rumor" until it's actually built.
It is on display at Le Mans. But there's probably not much under the plastic bodywork. Until there is, it is Panoz-grade vaporware.

Old 15 Jun 2017, 19:50 (Ref:3741886)   #16
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I know it's just a model, but there seems no attempt at all to make it look 'cool' or 'futuristic'. It looks like an old can-am car with a bubble for the driver and drawn on head-lights ala Gen-1 Daytona Prototypes
Old 15 Jun 2017, 19:55 (Ref:3741890)   #17
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I like that. That's the problem with electric cars. They feel the need to make them look weird and odd and futuristic. That's a good reason why electric cars struggled to gain traction in the real world - the cars look funky in photoshops, but look utterly stupid driving around the streets of Manchester or Edinburgh. That's why Teslas do sell - it's a road car, that just happens to be electric powered.

This Panoz looks very purposeful. They could make it look like a hot wheels toy like Formula E, but there's no need. This car is to get a job done. I like that. Hopefully it will get it done...Panoz never fills me with confidence.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 19:56 (Ref:3741891)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How to make things slippery has been known for many many decades. That's what is needed here. Making things look futuristic may not help. Function is more important.

Besides it also looks very early days. So it will be polished.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 20:00 (Ref:3741893)   #19
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
It is almost like it on purpose has this 60s concept car look. That ugly green color and the shape of the headlights.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 20:10 (Ref:3741903)   #20
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
It is almost like it on purpose has this 60s concept car look. That ugly green color and the shape of the headlights.
The ugly green color that happens to be a common color, or pretty close, to most other EV concepts? Hmmm, green and an electric green color for an electric green vehicle. Yup, that's a hard connection.
Old 15 Jun 2017, 20:15 (Ref:3741908)   #21
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
The ugly green color that happens to be a common color, or pretty close, to most other EV concepts? Hmmm, green and an electric green color for an electric green vehicle. Yup, that's a hard connection.
Lime green or something like that. Look at the real life photos, this is much darker.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 01:23 (Ref:3742055)   #22
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, it's a Panoz, so it's weird.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 16 Jun 2017, 13:31 (Ref:3742210)   #23
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Well, it's a Panoz, so it's weird.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 19:43 (Ref:3742302)   #24
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I admire any effort to advance the way that cars race.I do have reservations about this concept as using a pallet truck to remove and replace a battery pack is little more than a way to overcome the inherent shortcomings of present day technology.Do we know where the design was developed?
Old 16 Jun 2017, 20:03 (Ref:3742309)   #25
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
I admire any effort to advance the way that cars race.I do have reservations about this concept as using a pallet truck to remove and replace a battery pack is little more than a way to overcome the inherent shortcomings of present day technology.Do we know where the design was developed?
Isn't that what you're meant to do though? Overcome the shortcomings? We did it with petrol by building a world wide petrol network. When it comes to batteries we already have a world wide electricity network - we just need a way of getting it into the car quicker.

And it isn't like we haven't seen quick change fuel tanks before