Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 24 Nov 2003, 07:39 (Ref:792695)   #1
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Geoghegan Bros. Website

Does anyone know if such a site exists? For a couple of absolute legends of our sport, there should be a site dedicated to their outstanding achievements.
Old 24 Nov 2003, 10:29 (Ref:792810)   #2
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Moff !!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by moffman
Does anyone know if such a site exists? For a couple of absolute legends of our sport, there should be a site dedicated to their outstanding achievements.
Right on Moffman, it took the Pete's death to highlight the fact I suppose. I could quite easily live with a well done 1960's and 1970's tintop site - so many stars in so many cars - I even enjoyed watching Fords in those days

I suppose the closest thing might be Leos car yard site up in QLD......

Meantime I am wearing out my copy of the The Racing Geoghegans video.

Last edited by 275 GTB-4; 24 Nov 2003 at 10:33.
Old 24 Nov 2003, 11:02 (Ref:792833)   #3
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
not quite what your looking for but this site
http://members.tripod.com/motorsportarchive has a range of captioned photo's covering Aus Motorsport from the 50's to the 90's,
Old 24 Nov 2003, 22:23 (Ref:793358)   #4
Beejay17
Racer

Beejay17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, we should all petition 'norm beechey' for a Geoghegan Bros site. How about doing what they did at Atlas for Chris Amon?
Everybody puts in a snippet about either Ian or Leo until they add up to one big Geoghegan story.

Maybe we can kick it off with the fact that between them, they raced for the Holden, Ford and Chrysler factory teams at Bathurst.
Old 24 Nov 2003, 22:31 (Ref:793373)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A great driver, but dont lose sight of the events that have happened in his every day life that wont taint the memory of the champion driver, but of the man himself.

Somehow we need to find that happy balance.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 25 Nov 2003, 04:09 (Ref:793528)   #6
auxred
Rookie

Australia
Gold Coast
auxred should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said GTR
Theres more to being a man than driving a car fast....
Old 25 Nov 2003, 04:46 (Ref:793540)   #7
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree there should be a site for the Geoghegan Bros. Their sister Marie-Louise raced as well, and Petes son Michael as well.
I remember Pete racing a Lotus 23 at Sandown in 1962 or 1963. And the Mustangs at all angles on the track.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 08:04 (Ref:793640)   #8
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
A great driver, but dont lose sight of the events that have happened in his every day life that wont taint the memory of the champion driver, but of the man himself.

Somehow we need to find that happy balance.
No need to put the boot in GTRM,the bloke has passed on.I thought this was a motorsport site?
Old 25 Nov 2003, 08:18 (Ref:793658)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I mentioned nothing specific, just that to be praiseful of a person for their driving talents is a noble pursuit, but they do have a life outside of that, some things less fit for public consumption, but also running the car yard at Gladesville, just up the road from Graham Moore's old Tennis Ranch, selling used Peugeots was most of the post-race retirement focus.... until Damon Beck took over anyway.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 09:42 (Ref:793735)   #10
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Leo - right?

Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
I mentioned nothing specific, just that to be praiseful of a person for their driving talents is a noble pursuit, but they do have a life outside of that, some things less fit for public consumption, but also running the car yard at Gladesville, just up the road from Graham Moore's old Tennis Ranch, selling used Peugeots was most of the post-race retirement focus.... until Damon Beck took over anyway.
This is Leo, are you confusing the two brothers?

The brothers Lotus yard was at Ashfield just down the road from my flat a long time ago.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 09:46 (Ref:793747)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
They both worked from the same yard if I recall rightly, it was written up in the local rag some time back....
Old 25 Nov 2003, 10:11 (Ref:793774)   #12
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lotus yard, 275GTB? Are you older than me? IIRC, Ian had let the Lotus agency go by the early seventies. Suzuki and 4WD yard after that until around 1990, I guess - and that side of Parramatta Road is Haberfield. You're right about Gladesville. That yard near Monash Road was Leo's, and sold mainly Peugeots and other Euro stuff.

After watching the Geoghegans for many years through the 60s and 70s, I met Ian in the late 80s when he lived at Epping and I lived at Eastwood. I met him when I was walking my dog past his house in Yaraan Avenue. I couldn't resist talking to the man who had been a hero during my teen years. It was funny talking to him as an equal. He was reticent and quiet, but we started bumping into each other around the place, and he'd wave when we saw each other in traffic.

I'm well aware of that court case, GTR, but all of us are flawed human beings, and I don't know what purpose it serves to mention it in the days after his funeral. His wife and family stood by him during and after the case, which says something about how they regarded him, and the whole matter. I think we should leave the matter to die with him.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 10:20 (Ref:793787)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I mentioned no specific details, and wont do so. The Daily Telegraph did, as is their wont.

The very nature of what was recorded to have happened is something that is clearly not positive, and does cast a shadow on the man in his life outside the sport. Out there somewhere is a victim.... who shall live with whatever actually happened for the rest of their lives too.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 10:27 (Ref:793796)   #14
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The charges were laid by a parent with grievances against the man for other reasons. He was found guilty, but he wouldn't be the first to be falsely convicted. The only victim MAY well have been Ian himself. You and I will never know. The penalty would show how his guilt was regarded by the court.

I don't think it does anyone any credit (including you and me) to air this any more. Let's leave it here.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 10:56 (Ref:793814)   #15
gsr
Racer

gsr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I mentioned no specific details, and wont do so. The Daily Telegraph did, as is their wont.
Oh well it must be true, Murdochs snot rag reported it. Like most Telegraph readers, I bet your lips move while reading....You didn't have to raise the issue.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 11:09 (Ref:793830)   #16
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we have had enough of this, please let the man rest in peace.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Closed Thread