Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 22 May 2005, 23:16 (Ref:1307585)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Arie jr: Bumped!

Arie jr will not be starting the Indy 500. He was bumped at the last minute, by Felipe Giaffone in a third Foyt entry!

http://www.indycar.com/news/story.php?story_id=4643
Old 22 May 2005, 23:34 (Ref:1307594)   #2
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whoa, drama at Indy!

Tough break for Arie, who I'm sure thought he was in. Giaffone is a veteran who's been around though, and he was a good choice for the Foyt team...

Danica Patrick
Old 22 May 2005, 23:38 (Ref:1307597)   #3
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank goodness. Arie Jr had no right being in the Indy 500.
Old 23 May 2005, 00:03 (Ref:1307614)   #4
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully its the first of many bumping years to come at IMS.
Old 23 May 2005, 08:10 (Ref:1307761)   #5
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, I think Arie is a new name for the "senior series", much more interesting than Giaffone IMO.
Old 23 May 2005, 08:34 (Ref:1307781)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Arie was slower though, so the faster car/driver is in the race.

Meritocracy working.
Old 23 May 2005, 11:27 (Ref:1307920)   #7
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give Arie Jnr a proper run at the month and he'd do just fine.

Good to see Giafone in the field, his name was a quiet one all month.
Old 23 May 2005, 11:58 (Ref:1307950)   #8
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a nice surprise this is. Giaffone's far too good to be on the sidelines all season, and considering his lack of practice there's no way Arie was fast enough to run in the 500, although I'm sure he'll be back in years to come. It's a shame Beck's efforts have come to nothing, but that's the 500 for you.
Old 23 May 2005, 23:44 (Ref:1308522)   #9
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
According to Robin Miller on Wind Tunnel last night, Giaffone was actually at the mall when he got the call from Foyt.

Personally, I would rather see two Foyt cars with full-time engineers than a one off for Giaffone.

Not that he is a bad guy or anything - just seems a waste of resources.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 24 May 2005, 00:57 (Ref:1308554)   #10
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
well, I think Arie is a new name for the "senior series", much more interesting than Giaffone IMO.
I agree climb.

While I like Giaffone, I think that Arie will represent the next generation of stars here. He's young and has alot of time ahead of him.

Does anyone think that AJ senior intentionally sent his car out there at the last minute to bump young Arie, because of his fued with Arie Sr.? Do you think he would have put this deal together to bump anyone but Arie?

Danica Patrick
Old 24 May 2005, 03:46 (Ref:1308583)   #11
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
AJ Foyt holding a grudge?? This long?? GP, how could you suggest that???

"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 24 May 2005, 06:30 (Ref:1308627)   #12
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as AJ IV is so uncompetitive, actually there's little room for such feuds IMO,but you never know
Old 24 May 2005, 13:11 (Ref:1308964)   #13
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Robin Miller has written a column on the matter:

http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/17096/
Old 24 May 2005, 14:00 (Ref:1309002)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
During the past 35 years he's also been a contributor for Autoweek, Autosport, Car & Driver, ESPN The Magazine and several publications that folded and still owe him money.
No comment.

As for the article itself, it smacks of sour grapes, typical of Robin. AJ always planned to enter 3 cars, and it's not as if he's only entered US drivers in the past, which Miller more or less implies.
Old 24 May 2005, 14:11 (Ref:1309018)   #15
jock25
Racer

jock25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is an interesting, short audio interview with AJ Foyt regarding the third entry here:

http://www.indy500.com/multimedia/audio/index.php

Draw your own conclusions but it does sound as if the team thought the car was good enough and Felippe was wandering the pit garages with helmet in hand.

I personally particularly enjoyed the latent humour as the interviewer attempts to over complicate AJ's "thought process and method" for deciding to run another car.
Old 24 May 2005, 14:22 (Ref:1309038)   #16
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jock25
Draw your own conclusions but it does sound as if the team thought the car was good enough and Felippe was wandering the pit garages with helmet in hand.
I think that is A.J. Foyt being.. well, A.J. Foyt

Personally I think Alice Giaffone's description of how it went down is probably more accurate.
Old 24 May 2005, 16:43 (Ref:1309127)   #17
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

It's stories like this that you gotta love about the 500.

On a more practical level, great to see a car bumped for once, long may that continue. As regards Arie Jr., I think it's probably best overall - the IRL may need a big name, but there is no way he was ready. Same as in all motorsports - you enter too quick and you'll only make a fool of yourself. Believe me, I've got first hand experience of it as a driver. Come next year he'll have a proper go at it

And who cares about the controversy? Giaffone was faster, he deserves his place on the grid. But at least it provides some good banter
So I ride out to the old sundown