Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 22 Dec 2006, 11:48 (Ref:1797594)   #1
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
New GP2 Car - 2007

From Saleen S7R, thank you again.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=115

Fascinating. New car, new engine; as if GP2 needed to get anymore interesting or the car anymore challenging to drive. SpeedTV's gonna have to up its coverage.
Old 22 Dec 2006, 12:03 (Ref:1797605)   #2
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hey, your welcome. Just dont quote me on any of that! The new engine is just a assumption, because there will be a new chassis etc. The new Chassis is at least sure though.
Old 22 Dec 2006, 12:20 (Ref:1797612)   #3
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I knew about the new Dallara design Saleen, and a new engine and more power in 08 or sooner makes total sense. The differences IMO as you suggest will undoubtedly mean more competition for a number of other series' on so many levels. Is A1GP even in the same league now? From the level of competition on the track and a market share POV to name just a couple, I don't know. I enjoyed GP2 last year almost as much as F1 frankly, and if car (and driver) development carries-on even something close to this, the series has a great future.
Old 6 Jan 2007, 21:42 (Ref:1808469)   #4
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where will the old (current) cars go? Any chance for national championships?
Old 6 Jan 2007, 22:44 (Ref:1808517)   #5
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are three year cycles in place fof GP2 and F3, Autosport and RCE have both covered the update on the current Dallara (it is only an update), the 2008 - 2011 car could be 100% different, and there is nothing to say that it will be a Dallara, I imagine Lola, SLC, Elan, Dallara and possibly Dome will consider tenders. Engine supply may well change too as its the whole package up for tender.

GP2 also aims to have a significant change to its spec design once a year to keep teams on thier feet.

Its worth noting that the F3 cycle ends this year too. But I've heard that the '08 - '11 rules may not be a major change, more details soon I hope.

There have been 'unfounded' rumours of a return to a proper F2 series but I doubt there is much in that. Though its hard to fathom where Formula Master will fit in - are we about to see another Superfund / Premier 1.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 15:50 (Ref:1808876)   #6
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Its worth noting that the F3 cycle ends this year too. But I've heard that the '08 - '11 rules may not be a major change, more details soon I hope.
I tihnk you'll find that most of them will be safety-related. The general idea is that ideas developed in F1 get passed down the food chain, to F3000/GP2, then F3. The cycle will be from to '08 to '10 inclusive, btw.

It's interesting that Dallara have brought out an update this year. In the last year of the previous cycle they didn't bother. But maybe with more F3 manufacturers about nowadays they feel the need to do so in order to remain top dogs.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 18:18 (Ref:1808942)   #7
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree though I wonder if the engines will switch to a fuel flow restrictor rather than air as there are those in the FIA who favour this route. But perhaps thats the way GP2 will go with some sort of alternative fuel.
Old 13 Jan 2007, 00:01 (Ref:1813739)   #8
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
No question where F3000 is looking to position itself with the new Mecachrome (500bhp) engine deal:
Enzo Coloni, Coloni Motorsport President "....will allow F.3000 to become the most powerful preparatory category after GP2."

http://www.flagworld.auto123.com/en/...py?artid=74947
Old 13 Jan 2007, 00:55 (Ref:1813764)   #9
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good news. To be honest I have never really been that fond of the WSR, the series serves its purpose but it lacks something to me. F3000 on the other hand is a name that has a lot of prestige, good to see that F3000 isnt dead. Now I wonder who is going to cover the series? Probably Motors TV in some way but it would be nice if there is some live coverage available somewhere even if its just streaming online.
Old 13 Jan 2007, 15:16 (Ref:1814308)   #10
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not sure who you mean (WSR / F3000) when you say

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Now I wonder who is going to cover the series?
but Motors is doing a WSR season review as I type, and no doubt to be repeated many times again but the quality of TV image isn't all that good.
Old 13 Jan 2007, 17:33 (Ref:1814386)   #11
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
I was reffering to F3000 Suze. Yeah I have seen lots of the WSR coverage on Motors TV and whilst it does its job I personally dont like the coverage offered by Motors TV. For me the coverage Sky Sports "World Motorsports" gives the WSR is a lot better, especially in terms of commentry. Maybe we will see F3000 on World Motorsports if nothing else.
Old 13 Jan 2007, 17:42 (Ref:1814394)   #12
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The image quality is poor, anyone know where / who they get it from?

Haven't seen WSR on World Motorsports but that programme can be frustrating if you don't record it and if you don't want to watch everything...and sometimes you miss things as the title doesn't always tell you what it is - for example there was something earlier called "Motorsport Memories - Johnny Herbert" IIRC on Motors TV whereas it was actually a season review of BF3 in 1987!
Old 18 Jan 2007, 13:01 (Ref:1818427)   #13
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
I tihnk you'll find that most of them will be safety-related. The general idea is that ideas developed in F1 get passed down the food chain, to F3000/GP2, then F3. The cycle will be from to '08 to '10 inclusive, btw.

It's interesting that Dallara have brought out an update this year. In the last year of the previous cycle they didn't bother. But maybe with more F3 manufacturers about nowadays they feel the need to do so in order to remain top dogs.
Hey Strider, sorry I disagree just a little bit. It seems to me there's a definite change to that (updated versions every 3 years) mindset in the lower formulas (formulae?). Saftey changes sure, but there's an awful lot of engine, chassis, and aero upgrading either being considered or going-on on several fronts. And, as you do point out, they're starting early, certainly earlier than expected. As far as I can tell, it's not just GP2 feeling the need - they're maybe just one of the first ones out of the blocks. IMO.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 00:07 (Ref:1826112)   #14
GM Man
Racer

GM Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to one of the GP2 teams, they were seeing 204 mph (330 km/h) at the end of the Monza straight...do they need more power?
Old 26 Jan 2007, 10:11 (Ref:1826273)   #15
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Man
According to one of the GP2 teams, they were seeing 204 mph (330 km/h) at the end of the Monza straight...do they need more power?
I guess that depends on your point of view. Personally I would say yes. GP2 is supposed to be directly under F1 in terms of performance, with A1 GP looking to increase engine power for the next season up to around 700bhp GP2 must compete with that, the 2 series are in direct competition with one another.

The cars have now around 625bhp which isnt a great deal, LMP 1 and GT1 cars have 650-700bhp and Champcars are currently 750bhp (800bhp on boost). F1 teams next year will have in the region of around 800-850bhp I imagine, and if GP2 has around 700-750bhp that would be about right I think. It would be nice to see the top GP2 cars running as fast, if not a little faster than some of the back marker F1 teams sometimes. IMO.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 15:37 (Ref:1826579)   #16
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I'm not altogether sure that A1 is in competition with any formula bar possibly Champ car for drivers and teams?

A1 is not really part of the seasoned professional driver ladder, it is more an end of season show, and quite a good one at that.

GP2 may benefit from more power, but only if it benefits the drivers development, as long as the chassis and aero can handle it and doesn't detract from the superb racing spectacles the series has provided the last 2 years. Whatever GP2 does, it must consolidate what is arguably THE best international motor racing series for entertainment around at present, or if possible further improve it.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 22:40 (Ref:1826856)   #17
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Whatever GP2 does, it must consolidate what is arguably THE best international motor racing series for entertainment around at present, or if possible further improve it.
Chunt, I think that's the whole point. An increase in power is all part of GP2 maintaining its position over there as the other series look to do the same, including A1GP. As just one example, if F3000 ups horsepower "to become the most powerful preparatory category after GP2" it will be a domino effect without question.

Sure, A1GP may not compete on a calendar basis, but I would hope they know better than to think that they're not chasing the same dollars as everybody else.
Old 28 Jan 2007, 21:53 (Ref:1828148)   #18
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff
Chunt, I think that's the whole point. An increase in power is all part of GP2 maintaining its position over there as the other series look to do the same, including A1GP. As just one example, if F3000 ups horsepower "to become the most powerful preparatory category after GP2" it will be a domino effect without question.
GP2 is a junior-serie, in the sense that all drivers are in it because they want to get into F1. I don't think adding power to a gp2 car will change much to it's position in the international motorsport ladder. 50 hp more or less won't gain or lose interest from the f1-bosses, just look at champcar. Champcar has the most hp of any formula-serie (next to f1 of course), but even a triple-champ like Bourdais can't get a drive in F1.

Why? Because the f1-bosses think that the level of competition in this serie is low, and winning in it says little about the driver. Gp2 had a pretty good line-up in terms of talent in it's 2 years, and this explains why f1-bosses are interested. A1gp has got some good drivers, but some guys that perform in this serie like Bleekemolen, giebler, yoong, Reid and Simpson are totally of F1's radar, and that won't attract f1's interest.

Due to gp2's succes it will have toptalent in it's serie for at least the next 2-3 years. If they want to keep their current position imho gp2 should focus on expanding the tv-presence (to make it commercially more interesting, it's a shame they lost their RTL-germany slot for example with 700.000 viewers per race less), get a few drivers of name like Alesi, Hakkinen, Gene and Verstappen (to make the serie more attractive to the general audience) and most importantly get the topdrivers from f3 and wsr in a seat each year. If they can do this gp2 will imho develop into the same status compared to F1 like Nascar Busch is compared with the Nascar nextel cup.
Old 29 Jan 2007, 00:48 (Ref:1828234)   #19
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
So no need to make any changes to the car then Ron. Boy, I'm sure they'll be glad to hear that.
Old 29 Jan 2007, 13:10 (Ref:1828549)   #20
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp2series.com
The principle behind the annual reinvention is to maintain the challenge of the series for teams and drivers alike, whilst ensuring that the racing spectacle remains enthralling for the series’ ever-expanding legion of fans watching at the tracks and at home on television.
A bit of what we (and Chunterer) are both saying there I think Ron. I'll give you that.

But certainly standing still is not an option. IMO it is always harder to hold-on to your position (on the "ladder") than it is getting there in the first place. If these guys and the rest of the OW series in Europe don't keep upgrading the cars, they'll get run over (pun intended).

As a fan of the sport though, that's perfectly alright with me, bring it on.
Old 29 Jan 2007, 21:52 (Ref:1829001)   #21
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i understand your point, and even though i like the thought of faster cars, i just don't agree with it.
Continual (fast) development of the cars will only increase costs and will not translate into more exposure. 100 hp extra or a aerodynamical change to the car that translates into a second faster lap simply won't attract extra viewers. It won't be a problem for a couple of years, but in the end the costs to be competitive will be to high.

We are not talking about F1 here, we are talking about an junior-serie that currently has a technical package that is good enough to train drivers for F1, just look at Rosberg.

But hey, it's not like i've got any influence on this, so i might just as well accept it and enjoy the faster cars.