Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Sep 2006, 20:48 (Ref:1712501)   #1
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened in the development series

Just want to hear what the gossip was comming out of mallara. Also what happened to shannon obrien did he bin it in qualifying as a see he didn't feature in race results
Old 18 Sep 2006, 02:18 (Ref:1712582)   #2
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There was a development round on ?
Old 18 Sep 2006, 02:27 (Ref:1712586)   #3
James63
Veteran

Australia
Q
James63 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmm...I had no idea.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 05:58 (Ref:1712628)   #4
Exceler8
Racer

Exceler8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well the usual
macrow one
price second

and Mark Porter 3rd
Old 18 Sep 2006, 06:56 (Ref:1712640)   #5
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of course the V8 website had full details...

Race 1: Macrow, Price, Perkins
Race 2: Scott, Youlden, Pither
Race 3: Macrow, Price, Porter

Round: Macrow 300, Price 294, Porter 284
Championship: Macrow 1504, Price 1364, Porter 1288, Pretty 1200, Perkins 1077.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 18 Sep 2006, 11:26 (Ref:1712801)   #6
Fairlane GTA
Rookie

New Zealand
Parnell
Fairlane GTA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingduck
Just want to hear what the gossip was comming out of mallara. Also what happened to shannon obrien did he bin it in qualifying as a see he didn't feature in race results
Nice to see someone is interested. Shannon O'Brien had engine problems, but as I understand it his spare engine was already in another car when the problem was found.

No pace cars at all, no major wrecking.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 11:29 (Ref:1712807)   #7
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turn 1 was a bit messy for Race 2 though
Old 18 Sep 2006, 16:51 (Ref:1713049)   #8
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Abit silly for the round to clash with the Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix wasn't it?
Old 18 Sep 2006, 22:19 (Ref:1713273)   #9
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well there were still 30,000 people out at Mallala !!!!!!!! A few would have been their because of Brocky but that is a massive crowd for a stand alone development series round. And good old VESA in their wisdom have dropped the round from next years calendar.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 22:30 (Ref:1713279)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Meantime whispers from the collective powder room at Mallala suggest that there are 3 current development series teams eyeing off a place in the main game in 2007.

It has been suggested that OptimaSport, Howard Racing and O'Brien Motorsport are all looking at a couple of lazy franchise licence slots currently on the market... it will be interesting to see if any of these actually get up...

Presuming any of this actually happened
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 18 Sep 2006, 22:39 (Ref:1713283)   #11
Fairlane GTA
Rookie

New Zealand
Parnell
Fairlane GTA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell
Well there were still 30,000 people out at Mallala !!!!!!!!
Trev, where did you get that figure from?
Old 18 Sep 2006, 22:55 (Ref:1713288)   #12
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's what was reported on the news. They might have got their crowd figures from VESA. Ha Ha Ha
Old 18 Sep 2006, 23:00 (Ref:1713292)   #13
birtek
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
birtek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'Twas the biggest crowd I have seen at Mallala since, well probably since Clipsal 500 started. But I doubt there was 30,000 there. I would have thought maybe 10-15,000 but I am generally a fairly poor judge of crowds. It is definetely a shame that Mallala is losing this round, and when it was mentioned on the weekend there was a lot of unhappy people.

As much as I love Clipsal, Mallala is an excellent track to take the family, but getting out at the end of the day was a bit of a headache. In the pre-Clipsal days when V8 Supercars used to race at Mallala they used to close the road out and make it 1 way into the Malllala township which would have alleviated much of the hassles on Sunday.

I hope Sporting Car Club and Mallala can get this round back for 2008, I cant see them getting it back for next year now.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 09:36 (Ref:1713548)   #14
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well it wouldn't be the first time someone's lied about crowd attendance... Ch 10 said there were 1,200 people at Bathurst today!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 19 Sep 2006, 10:51 (Ref:1713606)   #15
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell
It's what was reported on the news. They might have got their crowd figures from VESA. Ha Ha Ha
Actually they said the last time Brocky was at Mallala for his finale race there, there was a crowd of 30,000.
You were half right Trev

But I must agree, it was the biggest crowd I have seen there for a development round and yes I am very disappointed it was the last one
Old 19 Sep 2006, 12:29 (Ref:1713733)   #16
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
The last one... For now.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 12:40 (Ref:1713749)   #17
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
I hope you are right Chatters.
Old 20 Sep 2006, 00:25 (Ref:1714220)   #18
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why did mallala lose it's round?
Old 20 Sep 2006, 00:42 (Ref:1714225)   #19
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Why did mallala lose it's round?
Possibly because of the amount of money required to be paid to VESA to hold a round.
Old 20 Sep 2006, 01:21 (Ref:1714237)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is also in need of some serious upgrades... a resurfacing would start.. but the paddock is possibly the least good in the country
Old 20 Sep 2006, 01:48 (Ref:1714243)   #21
Alan 52
Racer

Alan 52 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The main issue I think was that the competitors wanted the development series limited to 7 rounds and The Artist wanted Development races on at all Championship meetings where the main game has to be finished by 2pm due to 7's AFL coverage.Winton needed to pick up a round of the Development Series for its Championship meeting and Mallala was flicked instead of Wakefield Park.
Old 20 Sep 2006, 02:31 (Ref:1714254)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Plus the fun of Carrera Cup allegedly wavering as to whether to support the VESA rounds in future years....
Old 20 Sep 2006, 06:53 (Ref:1714329)   #23
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Do I see another case of two Bathurst 1000's coming on?
Old 20 Sep 2006, 12:21 (Ref:1714615)   #24
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
It is also in need of some serious upgrades... a resurfacing would start.. but the paddock is possibly the least good in the country
The paddock GTR? You mean the lockable garages surrounded by sealed tarmac? Much better than the dirt/grass floored marquees they have been kept in at the Clipsal 500 in previous years........ Sure Mallala isn't the most elaborate place that they travel to, but the Fujitsu teams are treated better as the main act at Mallala than they are at plenty of the combined rounds.

Also, why do you think Mallala needs resurfacing? I would have thought that Wakefield Park and Queensland Raceway need it more than Mallala does.

Your comment about Carrera Cup is interesting also. Cup Car displeased with the imminent arrival of the GT Championship onto the V8Supercar card perhaps?
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 21 Sep 2006, 12:47 (Ref:1715496)   #25
Richard Craill
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Richard Craill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think thats a bit harsh mate - Sure it's not up to the standard of some of the other bigger and better funded tracks but the only main complaint I hear is that there aren't any pit garages on the actual pit straight. However, there is room for 120 cars under lock and key which is an advantage many competitors like.

I havent driven Mallala for three years or so but the surface seems pretty good. Its not what you would call bumpy. For bumpy go to AIR..

As far as the crowd goes at the weekend - I think the general chatter around settled at about 7,500 - 8K ish. About average for a majority of the rounds there. To be fair a few of us were expecting more but it wasnt bad at all.

There is no way it was 30,000 - I was there in '97 for the Brock finale' and it took three hours to get from the grandstand to the intersection up the road.

/end random muse.