Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 13 Apr 2003, 09:52 (Ref:567964)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Scott Sharp wins crash marred motegi

well the rain held off for the running of the Twin Ring Motegi 300 race in japan today but Im sure several drivers wish that it had of rained instead.

The race was marred by huge crashes involving some high profile drivers including Helio Castroneves,Tony Kanaan and Scott Dixon to name a few.

Helio has hurt his elbow and an ankle but he seems fine and in good spirits when he was interviewed and will be fine after the swelling and bruising goes away.

Scott Dixon and Tony kanaan havent been so lucky , i dont know what their conditions are but their crash (which was very similar to the DeFerran,Andretti crash at Pheonix) was frightening and I think both are lucky to get away without serious injury.

the race was littered with incidents and crashes and there wasnt alot of racing inbetween yellows , but the racing that did happen was fairly exciting to watch.

Scott Dixon emerged unscathed to take victory under yellow following the last yellow when Shinji nakano and Jaques lazier got together.

Kenny brack also drove a good race to finish in second place , but it wasnt a fantastic overseas debut for the Indycar series with the amount of carnage that happened today.

i hope everyone involved can get better and get cars fixed ready for the Indy 500 on May 25.
Old 13 Apr 2003, 10:46 (Ref:568014)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great to see Scott Sharp take the win, as one of the IRL 'old boys' who's been squeezed in recent years. And Greg Ray got 8th on his debut for his new Access team, which is great. Some of the superstars didn't look so impressive, but let's hope they're all okay.
Old 13 Apr 2003, 11:23 (Ref:568036)   #3
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I missed the race because I dont have sky, how was Mark Taylor at commentating??
Old 13 Apr 2003, 11:48 (Ref:568056)   #4
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was a major stack between Kanaan and Dixon, pretty much a racing incident i'd say. As you said marcus very similiar to the de Ferran/Andretti accident. Any updates on the drivers conditions, and Jacques Lazier.

Nice drive by Sharp, lucked into it abit but a wins a win.
Old 13 Apr 2003, 14:30 (Ref:568181)   #5
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
jenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it would be nice if all the drivers could stop crashing into walls and each other. the way it's going there'll be no one left by the end of the year! Sharp actually drove well for the whole race, he wasn't an undeserving winner. i guess he lucked into it a bit, but you could say the same about Kanaan winning in Phoenix. and this season being able to avoid crashing is turning out to be the most important skill! since when did slow and steady win the motor race?
Old 14 Apr 2003, 01:37 (Ref:568657)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
lol , very synical jenna , but probably true.

I was amazed to see the amount of crashes in this race , I hope everyone can get their act together for Indy.
Old 14 Apr 2003, 12:15 (Ref:568992)   #7
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As mentioned, the yellows really bogged it down, but when they were green there was some nice racing at times. It wasn't a "barn-burner" and could have been a lot better, but at least it kept you awake.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 01:25 (Ref:569652)   #8
BlueStang
Rookie

BlueStang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
During one of the longer green periods, Sam Hornish made a nice charge up from 11th to 4th...then he had to pit under green, and was never really in contention after that.

Buddy Lazier also was not running too bad before his engine gave.
Old 16 Apr 2003, 01:11 (Ref:570676)   #9
pshoe001
Rookie

pshoe001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Blue, did you watch it on a Lexington station? I don't think it was on in Louisville. At least it was not listed.

BTW, do you know about "The Test in the Bluegrass" scheduled for Friday, June 20th hosted by Kentucky Speedway? They emailed me about it last week. $10.00 all day.
Old 16 Apr 2003, 15:38 (Ref:571255)   #10
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good race. Nice to see Sharp not only win but vault to the top of the standings; it's as if he's come from nowhere.