Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 May 2010, 08:15 (Ref:2698375)   #1
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Fangio's last race

You may think that Fangio had his last race in 1958, shortly before he announced his retirement, but add on another 20 years and see him in action at Sandown Park in Australia. It may have been billed as a demonstration, but he and Sir Jack Brabham were not hanging around.

Mods, if you want to move this thread, that's fine, but I thought it should at least start here, just out of respect for two fine old racers who between them collected eight World titles.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...bedded&h=8141c
Old 26 May 2010, 08:17 (Ref:2698376)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Ahhh I want to see this, but i'm at work! (Facebook well and truly blocked)

How old were they both?

Selby
Old 26 May 2010, 08:18 (Ref:2698378)   #3
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here's a youtube link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeQ_jVjBvg4
Old 26 May 2010, 08:32 (Ref:2698384)   #4
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Ahhh I want to see this, but i'm at work! (Facebook well and truly blocked)

How old were they both?

Selby
Sorry, my fault, I meant to give you the YouTube link.

Fangio would have been 67 and Brabham 52.

Two more links for you. Fangio and Brabham.
Old 26 May 2010, 08:54 (Ref:2698400)   #5
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
That's so cool lol

Erm, they've also completely blocked YouTube... :/

Selby
Old 26 May 2010, 09:31 (Ref:2698412)   #6
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Amazing video! They really were going for it. I hope those spectators know how lucky they were...
Old 26 May 2010, 09:41 (Ref:2698417)   #7
Grandpa_Rob
Racer

Australia
Oz
Grandpa_Rob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow! that's amazing l've never seen that footage before, l don't live far from Sandown l had no idea Fangio had graced the track.
Old 26 May 2010, 12:40 (Ref:2698531)   #8
kobefly
Veteran

Argentina
Germany
kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!
Go "Chueco"!
Five world championships... these days we cannot put one single driver from Argentina in F1
Old 26 May 2010, 12:43 (Ref:2698532)   #9
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I can't view this due to Selby-esque net restrictions but I look forward to doing so when I get in.
Old 26 May 2010, 12:50 (Ref:2698540)   #10
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I can't view this due to Selby-esque net restrictions but I look forward to doing so when I get in.
lmao I just caught that first bit....

Selby
Old 26 May 2010, 17:07 (Ref:2698697)   #11
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fangio is recognised as one of the greats. But where does Brabham rank? Despite being 3 times WDC he never appears to get the credit he deserves. Any reasons for this? Could it be his gruff personality never lent him to the press and media?
Old 26 May 2010, 17:37 (Ref:2698713)   #12
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
Belatti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobefly View Post
Go "Chueco"!
Five world championships... these days we cannot put one single driver from Argentina in F1
That happens in a country with 3 splited Formula Renault series (none of them with half decent grids) without F3 and without a fast, light and powerful sportcars series... then sponsors centered in local series tin tops... that sums it all I think.

Back on topic, a little demonstration with speed and you can see how they were willing to race again... what a great video!
Old 26 May 2010, 18:29 (Ref:2698741)   #13
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Those cars are cool.
Old 26 May 2010, 22:04 (Ref:2698881)   #14
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by herowassenna View Post
Fangio is recognised as one of the greats. But where does Brabham rank? Despite being 3 times WDC he never appears to get the credit he deserves. Any reasons for this? Could it be his gruff personality never lent him to the press and media?
I think that article about Brabham by Gerald Donaldson gives quite a few clues. The press and the media weren't around to anything like the same extent, but Sir Jack always came across as rather dour and taciturn.

So far as the video is concerned, Fangio had it made because it was like winding the clock back 23 years to when he raced that car. Almost uncanny. Charisma and nostalgia everywhere.
Old 26 May 2010, 22:33 (Ref:2698893)   #15
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by herowassenna View Post
Im sure you'll tell us.
Old 27 May 2010, 08:10 (Ref:2699064)   #16
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
What fantastic footage. I watched this when I got in. A real treat. Very surreal seeing those cars in full colour/decent quality. Fangio just looked, the same!

Selby
Old 27 May 2010, 08:23 (Ref:2699072)   #17
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Fantastic!
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 27 May 2010, 08:26 (Ref:2699074)   #18
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan View Post
Im sure you'll tell us.
I'm being serious. Piquet is similar in that 3 times champion but little grace as a man. I've never heard bad reports about Brabham, but then he was before my time.
Old 27 May 2010, 09:30 (Ref:2699098)   #19
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seen this a few times, I dont really think Jack was giving it the berries, but Fangio certainly was!

I think he did Panermicana didnt he aswell?

Anyway onto Black Jack. He was like Hulme in many ways, and also like a few Aussies. He was just doing his job!! His job was winning races and championships and he did it jolly well, for very many years! Maybe he had car advantages in early yeras in teh Cooper but nevertheless.

He raced for a long time and won races over a huge timespan. Australia's best, no doubt.

As for Piquet, I loved him when I was a kid, he was fun, talented and always had a nice girl, all the things you love when a young fan. I guess over in the UK his antipathy towards Mansell was why he was disliked. But then our Nige is not exactly a saint! He showed class doing well in an underpowered Lotus and for Benetton later on, that is why he would always be a top 10 best ever man.
Old 27 May 2010, 09:35 (Ref:2699100)   #20
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Piquet made a few off-colour remarks in the press about Senna (being gay) and Mansell (having an unattractive wife) but on the whole I think he was reasonably well liked. Apparently his mechanics at Brabham adored him. Sir Frank described him as very laid back with an odd sense of humour. Like Raikkonen he was able to sleep just before the start of a race. Wish I was so chilled.
Old 27 May 2010, 15:13 (Ref:2699315)   #21
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks for the heads-up on this footage, strider. Good quality video, lovely engine sounds, two F1 titans going for it, and as Dan Selby says, odd to see those cars in action in colour.
Old 27 May 2010, 16:22 (Ref:2699361)   #22
Crispy12
Rookie

United Kingdom
Crispy12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As relatively young F1 fan, it's great to be able to see things like this. Really good video. Thanks.
Old 28 May 2010, 23:16 (Ref:2700189)   #23
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Seen this a few times, I dont really think Jack was giving it the berries, but Fangio certainly was!

I think he did Panermicana didnt he aswell?
Fangio won the 1953 Carrera Panamericana with a Lancia D24, indeed.
Old 29 May 2010, 17:36 (Ref:2700472)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just brilliant. Trying or not the pair of them demonstrated how good the Merc was and how much had changed in the intervening years. Thanks for that.