Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Jan 2018, 00:28 (Ref:3790747)   #176
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
And at the previous round in Hungary, Hamilton let Bottas pass him before the line, because Bottas was a realistic chance of taking the title away from Vettel or Hamilton yeah??

Don't think so.
Old 5 Jan 2018, 14:20 (Ref:3790832)   #177
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Bottas IMHO needs to have a great start to the season if he is not to be a number 2 driver in the team
Old 6 Jan 2018, 07:32 (Ref:3790967)   #178
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Bottas IMHO needs to have a great start to the season if he is not to be a number 2 driver in the team
He needs to develop a bit more speed.

Outqualified 5 - 11

Pole positions 2 - 10

No chance you are going to be number 1 with those stats, plus Hamilton went on holiday 2 races early.
Old 8 Jan 2018, 19:56 (Ref:3791435)   #179
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
He needs to develop a bit more speed.

Outqualified 5 - 11

Pole positions 2 - 10

No chance you are going to be number 1 with those stats, plus Hamilton went on holiday 2 races early.
And he wasn't signed as an equal no.1. He was signed as a short term seat fill solution. In the early part of '17 he did bloody well but it will be very hard to repeat that this year let alone maintain it over the season.
If he does well enough he will still be of interest to other teams though.
Old 8 Jan 2018, 22:29 (Ref:3791451)   #180
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
And he wasn't signed as an equal no.1
Sorry, but what evidence do you have to back that statement?

I don't believe for a second that Bottas was signed on as a number 2 driver. That is a Ferrari trait. Not Mercedes. It was stated by Wolff at the time of signing that Bottas would be equal, and Hamilton demanded his team mate was given equal opportunity at the team.

https://www.thenational.ae/sport/tot...des-gp-1.15677

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/h...ammate-856210/
Old 8 Jan 2018, 22:52 (Ref:3791456)   #181
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
for sure equal treatment in terms of car/parts and for sure that equality extended towards race strategies (until LH became the clear title challenger at least) but the massive difference in wages indicates, imo, a clear distinction in who is their 1 and 2 drivers.

Nico i believe had a clause saying he would make as much as Schumi and i want to say Nico was also pretty close to LH in terms of base retainer so *not much of a salary difference.

Last edited by chillibowl; 8 Jan 2018 at 23:03. Reason: *forgot some words lol
Old 8 Jan 2018, 23:53 (Ref:3791462)   #182
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
but the massive difference in wages indicates, imo, a clear distinction in who is their 1 and 2 drivers.
Hamilton arrived at Mercedes as a former world champion and a top ranked driver. As a world champion, of course ones wages are going to be higher. Bottas arrived at Mercedes as podium finisher, with a best of 3rd position. Of course his wages are going to be lower than Hamilton's. Don't see what the salary has to do with signing a contract that states you will be given equal equipment, treatment and opportunity to race your team mate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Nico was also pretty close to LH in terms of base retainer so not much of a salary difference.
But there was. Both drivers always had equal status in the team. When Lewis arrived at Mercedes in 2014, Nicoff, sorry Nico.. was the established driver there. Some even said Nico was the number 1 driver and Lewis was number two then. Lewis was on a much higher wage than Nico in 2014, when Nico was the supposedly established number 1. But both had equal status at the team, even though Lewis was on a much higher wage. Wages did not define who was contractually number one (or number two) at Mercedes from 2014 to 2016. It has been said many times that they both had equal status.

As the 2014 season progressed, Hamilton proved to be the better driver. And won the championship that year. And by doing so, rightly deserved a higher wage for 2015. Nico's retainer was also higher for 2015, and higher again for 2016, but still not as near as Lewis' was. But both always had equal status at Mercedes throughout their time together. Then Nico won the championship in 2016. On a lower wage than Lewis. And then decided to Nicoff!
Old 9 Jan 2018, 14:41 (Ref:3791549)   #183
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Bottas became the natural number 2 as the season went on. He looked not far off in the first half, but sort of lost a bit in the second half. He's needs a consistent season this time from the off
Old 9 Jan 2018, 16:13 (Ref:3791563)   #184
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Sorry, but what evidence do you have to back that statement?

I don't believe for a second that Bottas was signed on as a number 2 driver. That is a Ferrari trait. Not Mercedes. It was stated by Wolff at the time of signing that Bottas would be equal, and Hamilton demanded his team mate was given equal opportunity at the team.

https://www.thenational.ae/sport/tot...des-gp-1.15677

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/h...ammate-856210/
So you believe everything an F1 team boss says at face value do you?

Wolff has said time and time again how much 'easier' or 'happier' it has been in the team with Lewis and Bottas.

Of course it has, Lewis has had it all to himself for the most part.

I like Bottas, he is definitely a quality driver but he will not get the opportunity to go for a title whilst Lewis is there, whether he is up to it or not.
Old 9 Jan 2018, 17:20 (Ref:3791580)   #185
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
So you believe everything an F1 team boss says at face value do you?

Wolff has said time and time again how much 'easier' or 'happier' it has been in the team with Lewis and Bottas.

Of course it has, Lewis has had it all to himself for the most part.

I like Bottas, he is definitely a quality driver but he will not get the opportunity to go for a title whilst Lewis is there, whether he is up to it or not.
I'd go with Hamilton's own words - Valtteri supports me a lot. It is a completely different level professionally. As a team, we are more united than ever. And when it’s the other way around, I’ll help and support him, - which tells me that Bottas operated as the 'supporting' driver, Hamilton the 'supported'.
Old 9 Jan 2018, 18:41 (Ref:3791597)   #186
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
The bottom line is that Bottas is a good driver whom very few would begrudge a title if it came his way, but Lewis is one of the greats who might end up at the top of the statistical heap.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 11:24 (Ref:3791698)   #187
S griffin
Veteran

I see Valterri to Hamilton like Patrese to Mansell, good enough to get the better of him on occasion and play a good supporting role, but unlikely to win the title in the same team
Old 10 Jan 2018, 11:37 (Ref:3791702)   #188
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Iwhich tells me that Bottas operated as the 'supporting' driver, Hamilton the 'supported'.
Is that's why the 'supported' driver allowed the 'supporting' driver to finish ahead of him - at a very crucial point in the championship?

And is that why the 'supporting' driver finished AHEAD of the 'supported' driver five times before the Mexican GP, at where the title was finally decided?

Great supporting driver that.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 11:58 (Ref:3791706)   #189
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Is that's why the 'supported' driver allowed the 'supporting' driver to finish ahead of him - at a very crucial point in the championship?

And is that why the 'supporting' driver finished AHEAD of the 'supported' driver five times before the Mexican GP, at where the title was finally decided?

Great supporting driver that.
The supported driver allowed his teammate to finish ahead of him as part of the overall team strategy.

On the occasions where Bottas finished ahead of Hamilton, how many times was he in a position to aid his teammate?

The support Bottas gave was to both Hamilton's WDC and the WCC. They achieved both, so yes - a great supporting role played.
Old 16 Apr 2018, 23:30 (Ref:3816072)   #190
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not only is LH concerned about Vettel and his lead in the championship, he must be concerned about VB and his last couple of (out)performances during race weekend. Hamilton appears to be visibly unsettled.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 02:02 (Ref:3816088)   #191
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Not just that, the last few races of 2017 saw Bottas regularly outqualifying Hamilton.

There are similarities to when Lewis won the title in 2015, checked out allowing Nico momentum into 2016. The only difference here is that Bottas is marginally off Nico's quality, and the fact that Mercedes are not as dominant anymore.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 06:38 (Ref:3816112)   #192
S griffin
Veteran

Bottas has done well since Australia. He really has pulled his finger out
Old 17 Apr 2018, 06:49 (Ref:3816115)   #193
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Bottas has done well since Australia. He really has pulled his finger out
But he needed to if he wants to keep his seat for next year. There are one or two good drivers who will be up for re-negotiation at the end of the season.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 06:50 (Ref:3816116)   #194
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm generally not a Lewis fan, but I've no doubt he'll come back and beat Bottas. Lewis has that 'another level' he can turn it up to when needed.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 07:27 (Ref:3816121)   #195
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I'm generally not a Lewis fan, but I've no doubt he'll come back and beat Bottas. Lewis has that 'another level' he can turn it up to when needed.
I much prefer sooky Lewis, it makes the racing more interesting
Old 17 Apr 2018, 09:50 (Ref:3816133)   #196
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Where has the ‘another level’ been lately?

Did Mr Hamilton really get head messed after the show of strategy fail in Australia?

Does he need Ms Scherzinger around again?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 17 Apr 2018, 10:55 (Ref:3816139)   #197
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Where has the ‘another level’ been lately?

Did Mr Hamilton really get head messed after the show of strategy fail in Australia?

Does he need Ms Scherzinger around again?
He's had some off times. I've no doubt at all he'll beat Bottas over a season. And I believe the Ferrari challenge will fall apart as the season goes on (similar to last season). I'm not a Lewis fan, but I'm not seeing an issue just yet. Long season and they've come back before.
Old 21 Apr 2018, 09:26 (Ref:3816761)   #198
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
He's had some off times. I've no doubt at all he'll beat Bottas over a season. And I believe the Ferrari challenge will fall apart as the season goes on (similar to last season). I'm not a Lewis fan, but I'm not seeing an issue just yet. Long season and they've come back before.
I am quite sure that the Mercedes superiority will miraculously reappear once the new engine rules have been set, and they will have foxed the rest of the field into giving them another 5 years of absolute domination.

Last year we saw Hamilton start in the pit lane in Brazil and finish third 20 seconds off the winner Vettel. I think only the Mercedes mapping has changed for the first few races and service will be resumed.
Old 21 Apr 2018, 10:08 (Ref:3816770)   #199
S griffin
Veteran

I’m more optimistic about the fact that Merc era is over and we’re starting to have more teams challenging at the top now
Old 21 Apr 2018, 18:05 (Ref:3816817)   #200
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I am quite sure that the Mercedes superiority will miraculously reappear once the new engine rules have been set, and they will have foxed the rest of the field into giving them another 5 years of absolute domination.

Last year we saw Hamilton start in the pit lane in Brazil and finish third 20 seconds off the winner Vettel. I think only the Mercedes mapping has changed for the first few races and service will be resumed.
Let’s hope race control rig some more races to make up for it.