Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 15 Feb 2005, 16:23 (Ref:1226314)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will A1GP Be Ready By Sept. 05?

I've been keeping track of the progress of A1GP through their website. Now unless they're holding back, it seems like there are an awful lot of loose ends to tie up before the Sept. 05 starting date comes up.

No information has been given out on what countries, or drivers are participating, and at what tracks the races will be held. Just alot of generalities really.

Does anyone have more info on this series?

Danica Patrick
Old 15 Feb 2005, 16:27 (Ref:1226321)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It will definitely be ready.

They're releasing information on a drip-by-drip basis.

50 cars have been ordered from Lola - the biggest single racing car order they've ever had - you don't do that if it's not ready.

We know the first race will be at Brands Hatch on September 25th and a full calendar is due to be announced in the coming weeks.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 16:46 (Ref:1226340)   #3
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats good, then they are further along then I thought!

Some questions you may have the answers for though:

1 - From what series will the drivers come from, IRL/CC, F1, or some ladder series?

2 - Have there been any driver tests yet?

3 - Will all of the continents have a team?

4 - Any decisions on tracks yet, besides Brands?

5 - Where is this series going to be based?

6 - Anything on TV rights?

I'm excited about this new series and I'm full of questions about it.

Danica Patrick
Old 15 Feb 2005, 17:18 (Ref:1226375)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1) A mixture of experienced and young drivers

2) Robbie Kerr and Ralph Firman have tested the car, for development purposes.

3) Probably. 13 countries are announced so far.

4) Estoril apparently the other European round. Bahrain, Dubai, Qatar, South Africa, Malaysia, Australia likely to be among the others.

5) Based in the middle east

6) Sky Sports in the UK will have every race live.

Bear in mind that as the series starts in September, we're essentially in what would compare to August 2004 now for a series which starts in March, if you see what I mean.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 17:29 (Ref:1226390)   #5
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's a shame that the website is a bit pants - all style and no substance (they didn't call it "Flash" for nothing), but I can't disguise my excitement that there's going to be all-year-round single-seater racing at long last. Now all I have to do is persuade my wife that we should get Sky, and life will be perfect. Probably.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 17:45 (Ref:1226411)   #6
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any info on what running a car is going to cost?

I hope it's going to be a succes (finally no more iceskating or ski-jumping, but racing in the winter ;-) ), but i haven't heard much that shows me it's going to be a long-term serie. Apart from some wealthy eastern guy paying for the series i have no clue how they are planning on making money.
And i really don't like the 1 country-1 driver idea. Applied to the history of F1 it would have probably resulted in no Senna, Prost and Mansell (since there were more than capable drivers already available which might not be replaced by rookies).
Old 15 Feb 2005, 17:49 (Ref:1226419)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

The cars are all funded by business consortia from individual countries.

John Surtees heads the UK franchise, Alan Jones the Australian one.

The one-country one driver thing is the whole point of the series - it's a "World Cup" of motorsport - and it's different to what others do.

Sheik Makthoum is SERIOUSLY rich, incidentally.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 18:00 (Ref:1226433)   #8
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back

The one-country one driver thing is the whole point of the series - it's a "World Cup" of motorsport - and it's different to what others do.
Thats the part I like actually. It will be a true showing of a countries best racing drivers and crews, going up against another countries best, instead of the mixture of nationalities they have on teams in F1.

Should raise alot of international interest, I would think...

Danica Patrick
Old 15 Feb 2005, 19:10 (Ref:1226483)   #9
Roninho
Racer

Quote:
The cars are all funded by business consortia from individual countries.

John Surtees heads the UK franchise, Alan Jones the Australian one.

Sheik Makthoum is SERIOUSLY rich, incidentally.
The business consortia might fund the start-up but they won't pay forever.
Same MIGHT apply to Sheik Makthoum. Even if these guys are in it for the long term it seems to me that these guys don't want to lose money for ever. So what makes it an intersting serie for teamssponsors and where will the serie find it's earnings?

As for the "world cup" of motorsport: I understand that it has attractive elements (since the different nations might attract more attention), but i rather see talented drivers who are from the same country than guys like Yoong (Maleysia) and Tung (china) to name some.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 19:25 (Ref:1226492)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Well, having a seat available in a high profile series will help develop drivers for those countries.

You don't have to enter the same driver at every race.

In terms of series income - TV rights will be one thing - but Makthoum could essentially run it as a plaything from his loose change.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 19:48 (Ref:1226502)   #11
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Well, having a seat available in a high profile series will help develop drivers for those countries.

Now I really like that idea!

I can see a few race savvy countries putting up some real "all star" teams to compete.

Let's see, Jeff Gordon, Buddy Rice, Ryan Hunter Reay, Tony Stewart and...

Danica Patrick
Old 15 Feb 2005, 19:54 (Ref:1226507)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Yes, the points go towards a country total - rather than a drivers total.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 23:33 (Ref:1226675)   #13
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love the idea of this championship. It's properly backed, a different slant, a proper car, it's in the "off season", it's more than team vs team - it's all of this but also country vs country. You don't get Nelson Mandela publicly backing the SA entry, and Alan Jones and John Surtees, without it being a cut above.

A little bit of added edge/partisanship creeps in when the UK entry is said to be a funded drive, and may therefore hopefully be looking for a young driver who could do with a break, can be immediately quick and win in a big boy's car, yet who isn't awash with money. There are one or two options open there for the UK, I'd love to think...
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 15 Feb 2005, 23:55 (Ref:1226689)   #14
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah - and everybody with a crash helmet will be in the queue! Those Lola's will be the racing equivalent of a honey-pot!
Old 16 Feb 2005, 01:03 (Ref:1226733)   #15
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sheikh Maktoum said in a recent Autosport that they are six months ahead of what they make public. So there is probably a lot going on behind the scenes that we don't know about. I guess they'll be ready, so far it looks a lot better organised than Premier1 or anything like that.
Old 16 Feb 2005, 02:53 (Ref:1226766)   #16
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
Does anyone know if they will show the A1 GP on Australian free to air TV?
Old 16 Feb 2005, 05:57 (Ref:1226808)   #17
Roninho
Racer

Quote:

In terms of series income - TV rights will be one thing - but Makthoum could essentially run it as a plaything from his loose change.
What is high profile of this serie? And again how are they going to make money? Not trying to bully you, but apart from the influence of a very wealthy man if have not heard anything that set them apart from Superfund or the World Series. Those series cannot sell their TV rights to a good party (but have to pay for it to get decent ratings). Sky sports is probably payed for, and apart from Football also has dreadfull ratings.

I understand that the Sheik can run it forever, but what if he decides to call it quits after year 2?
Old 16 Feb 2005, 06:13 (Ref:1226817)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

Of course time will tell - but the signs are positive so far.
Old 16 Feb 2005, 14:02 (Ref:1227220)   #19
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roninho
What is high profile of this serie? And again how are they going to make money? Not trying to bully you, but apart from the influence of a very wealthy man if have not heard anything that set them apart from Superfund or the World Series. Those series cannot sell their TV rights to a good party (but have to pay for it to get decent ratings). Sky sports is probably payed for, and apart from Football also has dreadfull ratings.

I understand that the Sheik can run it forever, but what if he decides to call it quits after year 2?
The profile will only be high if they get some really top shelf, big name drivers, team managers and team members IMO. If they are a bunch of no names, than it may not sell, at least not here in America, where we already have 2 open wheel series, with to many drivers nobodies ever heard of, and they're both struggling. High profile drivers will make for a high profile series.

TV will be important to them for sure. If TV pays the series to air it, than that would be a good revenue source. I can see Speed Channel paying for it, because there programming in the off season is pretty bad in general. We'll also have to see how they draw in fans to the races, and if the tracks will pay to have the series run there.

It all sounds good so far, but as KB says, time will tell...

Danica Patrick
Old 17 Feb 2005, 02:34 (Ref:1227821)   #20
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think they are pretty ready already
Old 18 Feb 2005, 15:13 (Ref:1229405)   #21
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
The profile will only be high if they get some really top shelf, big name drivers, team managers and team members IMO. If they are a bunch of no names, than it may not sell, at least not here in America, where we already have 2 open wheel series, with to many drivers nobodies ever heard of, and they're both struggling. High profile drivers will make for a high profile series.

By the sounds of it, thats not what A1 is all about. Far from it.
Its being aimed as a competition of Nations.
The drivers will not be famous......and why should they be?
The points are awarded to the teams rather than individuals.

Unfortunately many in the US dont know where Europe is, let alone some of the countries hosting the events, so it probably wont make a huge impact on that side of the pond.

Last edited by ActiveMS; 18 Feb 2005 at 15:13.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 16:01 (Ref:1229438)   #22
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Promotion is certainly good.A free DVD came with this weeks Autosport.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 16:43 (Ref:1229489)   #23
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveMS

Unfortunately many in the US dont know where Europe is, let alone some of the countries hosting the events, so it probably wont make a huge impact on that side of the pond.
Uh, yeah, right...

Danica Patrick
Old 18 Feb 2005, 18:16 (Ref:1229572)   #24
danieljboys
Racer

United Kingdom
Aldershot, Hampshire
danieljboys should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveMS
I think there is an element of truth in this, and I got this impression on many of the occasions that I've been to the US. However, I think we're just as guilty of geographical ignorance on this side of the pond. If you asked your average Joe (be it here or in America) to pin-point exactly where Dubai is on a map of the world without any help they would struggle.

As it's a 'World Cup', let's not only look at this as a new racing series, but also a chance to learn more about each of the team's countries and cultures!

My only problem is that I don't have Sky Sports and I don't feel inclined to shell out for it either. Apart from going to Brands in September, I'm not sure how much of the Series I'll be able to follow outside of reading about it on the net or in Autosport.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 18:59 (Ref:1229594)   #25
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Your absolutely right danielj, its a two way street I'm afraid.

If I asked the average European a question about NASCAR, chances are good he'd laugh at me, and wouldn't be able to answer it. Same goes for American football, or baseball. It's just a matter of exposure I think. Americans love the Olympics, and love competing on the international arena. We even enjoy the World Cup these days, so I don't understand comments like ActiveMS's above.

Given the right TV, and marketing exposure, this series can take off here. The Race Of Champions from Paris was a big hit over here with race fans, so I think we're ready for something like A1GP over here...

Danica Patrick