Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 14 Mar 2019, 18:40 (Ref:3890494)   #351
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mclaren has sold 12 GT3's already.

I can account for 9, so we MAY see another programme somewhere. IGTC? VLN? GT Masters?

59 Racing - 1x
ABSSA Motorsport - 1x
Team Goh - 2x
Compass Racing - 1x
Teo Martin Motorsport - 3x
Balfe Motorsport - 1x
Old 14 Mar 2019, 21:01 (Ref:3890517)   #352
B0U170NS
Racer

B0U170NS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It might just be me but, I personally find the 720 incredibly ugly. It's not a patch on the 650 and just looks to modern. A bit pagani zonda ish but worse.
Old 14 Mar 2019, 22:58 (Ref:3890540)   #353
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Mclaren has sold 12 GT3's already.

I can account for 9, so we MAY see another programme somewhere. IGTC? VLN? GT Masters?

59 Racing - 1x
ABSSA Motorsport - 1x
Team Goh - 2x
Compass Racing - 1x
Teo Martin Motorsport - 3x
Balfe Motorsport - 1x

Teo Martin Motorsport bought two GT3 and one GT4. If Team Goh bought two, they just got one.
Old 14 Mar 2019, 23:33 (Ref:3890548)   #354
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
McLaren are entered for the full IGTC so we’ll have to see at least one 720 at Spa 24. Maybe entered by the factory themselves
Old 15 Mar 2019, 01:05 (Ref:3890564)   #355
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Teo Martin Motorsport bought two GT3 and one GT4. If Team Goh bought two, they just got one.
incorrect on both counts.

Teo have purchased three cars, and have announced three entries

Rueda / Savaria
Hahn / Khodair
Chaves / TBC

They also have 2 570s GT4s, not 1

And Team Goh, well just take a look anywhere on the web today, theres pics of the team with BOTH 720s GT3's in livery, on track together....
Old 15 Mar 2019, 01:06 (Ref:3890566)   #356
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
McLaren are entered for the full IGTC so we’ll have to see at least one 720 at Spa 24. Maybe entered by the factory themselves
I didnt think Mclaren were down for full IGTC... just based on the announcements prior to Bathurst about manufacturer counts

I may be wrong though

and im sure youre right on a car or two in PRO for Spa at the very least
Old 15 Mar 2019, 01:51 (Ref:3890572)   #357
Bcarr6
Veteran

The Goh cars
Old 15 Mar 2019, 11:24 (Ref:3890640)   #358
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
incorrect on both counts.

Teo have purchased three cars, and have announced three entries

Rueda / Savaria
Hahn / Khodair
Chaves / TBC

Hahn / Khodair 's car belongs to the drivers or to the team?

Quote:
And Team Goh, well just take a look anywhere on the web today, theres pics of the team with BOTH 720s GT3's in livery, on track together....
I give you that.
Old 25 Apr 2019, 19:45 (Ref:3899631)   #359
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The Suzuka 10 Hours entry list has three McLaren 720S GT3 in the Pro Class.

One entry features Mika Häkkinen, Katsuaki Kubota and Hiroaki Ishiura.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 04:36 (Ref:3899679)   #360
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
The Suzuka 10 Hours entry list has three McLaren 720S GT3 in the Pro Class.

One entry features Mika Häkkinen, Katsuaki Kubota and Hiroaki Ishiura.

Yes, there’s a race thread for it already..
Old 28 Apr 2019, 18:44 (Ref:3900296)   #361
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Didn’t really like the 720 when it was launched but it’s growing on me, showed good pace in GT Open this weekend, will be interesting to see how it gets on in GTD.

Pretty remarkable that all 3 McLarens in GT Open managed to make contact with each other at the start of the second GT Open race.
Old 28 Apr 2019, 19:56 (Ref:3900315)   #362
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Didn’t really like the 720 when it was launched but it’s growing on me, showed good pace in GT Open this weekend, will be interesting to see how it gets on in GTD.

Pretty remarkable that all 3 McLarens in GT Open managed to make contact with each other at the start of the second GT Open race.
Team mate no no's 101
Old 18 Jul 2019, 16:52 (Ref:3918369)   #363
Bcarr6
Veteran

Curious Mclaren havent used Parente at all yet this season, although there may be a clause with Kpax that means he cant run until the end of the Blancpain America Season, which would leave him open to the couple of finale endurance races of 2019.

Very curious.
Old 28 Nov 2019, 23:36 (Ref:3943516)   #364
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Will we see any 720 GT3 in the Endurance series next year?
Old 29 Nov 2019, 01:33 (Ref:3943524)   #365
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Will we see any 720 GT3 in the Endurance series next year?

Hopefully in Blancpain Europe. United Autosport looked to return to GT3 but that has been put back to 2021. At a guess this would’ve been with the 720. Garage 59 has switched to Aston for obvious reasons.

Shame the likes of Hexis aren’t still around to really put the cat amongst the pigeons in Blancpain Endurance. I can’t think of another top team that would run the car unless they changed makes.

The car seems to be racing in a few series now. International GT Open, BritGT, IMSA, Super GT, Aus GT this year. Rumour has it Compass will return to IMSA next year but whether it will be full season or not is unknown.

Expect one maybe two at B12 next year.
Old 30 Nov 2019, 04:55 (Ref:3943801)   #366
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A 720 has been very fast at the Challenge Bathurst event this weekend driven by Ron Barnicote
Old 30 Nov 2019, 05:56 (Ref:3943812)   #367
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
A 720 has been very fast at the Challenge Bathurst event this weekend driven by Ron Barnicote

Ben Barnicoat that is

That was done unrestricted AFAIK but wasn’t done in cool temperatures so still a fine effort nonetheless. The car must be blinding quick across the top with the aero it has.
Old 30 Nov 2019, 08:54 (Ref:3943817)   #368
Samoan Attorney
Racer

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Team mate no no's 101
There was a bit of "previous" with three Gulf McLarens hitting each other on the first lap at the '97 FIA GT Spa race..............all three cars out of the race, the pitbox was a no go area after that
Old 2 Dec 2019, 09:15 (Ref:3944186)   #369
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoan Attorney View Post
There was a bit of "previous" with three Gulf McLarens hitting each other on the first lap at the '97 FIA GT Spa race..............all three cars out of the race, the pitbox was a no go area after that
😅😅😅 Thanks for reminding us all of that. Wow what a faux pas that was. Almost unbelievable.
Old 3 Dec 2019, 16:28 (Ref:3944582)   #370
Samoan Attorney
Racer

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
😅😅😅 Thanks for reminding us all of that. Wow what a faux pas that was. Almost unbelievable.
I was shooting for Gulf that season, saw the cars pass me at Raidillon from the start, then nothing...........
I got back up to their pits a little later, to say the least there was a bit of an atmosphere..........I suddenly had to go out to the back of the circuit and shoot some other cars.............it seemed safer...........
Old 4 Dec 2019, 08:38 (Ref:3944680)   #371
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not knowing about that crash, it took me a bit to find anything about it. This being the most I could find (after a 15min search):
https://youtu.be/dFPHR32pmxI?t=141
Old 4 Dec 2019, 18:55 (Ref:3944819)   #372
Samoan Attorney
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Not knowing about that crash, it took me a bit to find anything about it. This being the most I could find (after a 15min search):
https://youtu.be/dFPHR32pmxI?t=141
From memory - so could be a bit faulty...........at the start the three Mercedes and the two BMW McLarens jumped to the front. Boutsen in the werks Porsche and Gounon disputed sixth and coming out of Les Combes there was some sort of incident, the Frenchman's Gulf McLaren spun wildly collecting first Olofsson, then Nielsen in the other Gulf cars.........all out on the spot. Gounon was stood down for the following race at the A1 Ring - he had comprehensively wrecked a McLaren earlier in the season at Silverstone during morning warm up. Team principal, Michael Cane, was, and no doubt still is, of the John Wyer school of driver management. Crashing your car into your team mates is a hanging offence, no appeal.
Old 4 Dec 2019, 19:43 (Ref:3944839)   #373
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
From memory - so could be a bit faulty...........at the start the three Mercedes and the two BMW McLarens jumped to the front. Boutsen in the werks Porsche and Gounon disputed sixth and coming out of Les Combes there was some sort of incident, the Frenchman's Gulf McLaren spun wildly collecting first Olofsson, then Nielsen in the other Gulf cars.........all out on the spot. Gounon was stood down for the following race at the A1 Ring - he had comprehensively wrecked a McLaren earlier in the season at Silverstone during morning warm up. Team principal, Michael Cane, was, and no doubt still is, of the John Wyer school of driver management. Crashing your car into your team mates is a hanging offence, no appeal.
Thank you for the sum up - it is really not clear in the video footage what happened, other than the Gulf's being wrecked.
(I am also relieved that it was not Nielsen making a mess of himself. Something which he quite prone to do)
Old 5 Dec 2019, 00:16 (Ref:3944881)   #374
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
I was shooting for Gulf that season, saw the cars pass me at Raidillon from the start, then nothing...........

I got back up to their pits a little later, to say the least there was a bit of an atmosphere..........I suddenly had to go out to the back of the circuit and shoot some other cars.............it seemed safer...........

I remember you mentioning this in your FIA GT retrospectives for Speedhunters (that seems another lifetime ago) and always wondered what happened between the three cars considering there’s hardly any footage of the 97 season on YouTube and yet you can find highlights of the entire 98 Mercedes whitewash..
Old 5 Dec 2019, 08:41 (Ref:3944909)   #375
Samoan Attorney
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
I remember you mentioning this in your FIA GT retrospectives for Speedhunters (that seems another lifetime ago) and always wondered what happened between the three cars considering there’s hardly any footage of the 97 season on YouTube and yet you can find highlights of the entire 98 Mercedes whitewash..

Speedhunters? Ten years gone, yes, a lifetime ago............that was fun to do but they descended into fanboi and internet yogi level..........my face no longer fitted, pity as I enjoyed the work (and the money).

Thinking back to Spa '97 there was no love lost between the factory Porsche drivers and Gounon. Jean-Marc was held accountable by some of them for the accident that put Bob Wollek out of Le Mans a few weeks earlier.

Early on Sunday morning Bob, leading the race he wanted to win more than anything else, tried to lap Gounon's Gulf McLaren but was held up for three laps. Then coming out of Arnage he lost control and clouted the barriers heavily and was forced to retire. Later, Norbert Singer attributed the incident to be the result of a broken driveshaft but in the minds of some, Gounon was to blame. Some others thought Bob had lost his cool and messed up............