Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 14 Feb 2011, 17:29 (Ref:2831102)   #1
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Provision of food or goodies/cost of marshalling - split from BTCC food thread

Sorry to put a downer on things...but how come MSVR can stand us a breakfast and other smaller clubs cangive us a fiver or more but those poor relations of Motorsport,BTCC get us to pay them?
This is one of the reasons I don't do BTCC meetings. The only one worse are F1...Guess what? I don't do them either!

BTW I've never been asked to contribute to a BBQ etc in the US. Most regions of the SCCA would consider it an insult...
Nowback to your normal programmes!
Old 14 Feb 2011, 17:39 (Ref:2831108)   #2
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Stoowert - this isn't TOCA themselves or a huge money-making organisation, it's a relatively small team who happen to be part of the BTCC circus trying to help out the folks who make it possible for them to go racing. Trust me: if they could do it for free, they probably would.

I'll probably get hit now for saying that

Your opinion has been noted - and I happen to agree with it, in part at least.

Last edited by Greem; 14 Feb 2011 at 17:39. Reason: Speeling misteak
Old 14 Feb 2011, 20:54 (Ref:2831208)   #3
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
If you're planning on camping at a BTCC round this season, please let me know if you'd be interested (and how much you'd be prepared to pay). It'll save you having to bring a Pot Noodle in the car!
For myself, I'm one of those miserable fussy so-and-sos, so I prefer to sort my own food out. However the whole get everybody, spanners, pedalers, marshals, etc... for an under one roof jolly idea sounds like something I'd enjoy (even if I have to bring my own lubrication*)

What might be more interesting to most is some sort of packed lunch system - useful for those of us who expect to sort food out in the lunch break, only to find that lunch has been curtailed (although in my case, the fussy so-and-so applies again)

* In case Colin is lurking, don't even start, I mean beer!
Old 15 Feb 2011, 10:42 (Ref:2831486)   #4
Richard Duvall
Racer

England
Rochford
Richard Duvall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I camped most weekends I marshalled at Brands last year and cooked myself a proper meal most nights - not a pot noodle in sight! However, if a meal is on offer from anywhere else I'd always be glad to accept it. I recall getting a free meal from Lotus 1000k and we also got a a meal and drink at the Caterham curry night courtesy of BRSCC. I couldn't get there but I believe Caterham invited marshals to their BBQ at Snetterton last year.

It's good that one of the BTCC teams is thinking of us and, on the basis described, I would be prepared to by a small sum. However, I do feel that it would be nice if cash rich organisers would provide meals free!
Old 15 Feb 2011, 10:52 (Ref:2831490)   #5
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I do have to say...since when have all the organisers been cash rich?

I know some of the clubs manage to provide us with sign on money or a meal voucher etc, but having seen behind the scenes, not all of them have the bottom lines that some of you seem to think they have. How many of you have actually seen the accounts of the clubs you are talking about?

Places like MSVR are able to do it as its likely at their own circuits they aren't going to be paying the face value of a meal, they'll be paying the cost price, if prices are even factored in at all.

Now I think this is a very kind offer, but I do have to say whilst a fiver seems a reasonable amount when your paying for a meal that would actually get you a hell of a lot of food if your buying it at wholesale price etc. If the team are doing this out of genuine kindness then they shouldn't be making a profit out of it and any charge really should just cover the cost of the food.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 13:31 (Ref:2831585)   #6
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As several people have said: "Every little helps" and a gesture from a small team is only to encouraged. However my original point still stands. The larger the body, the less the thanks. Could it be that the BTCC & F1 are relying on our better nature, that we would turn up for the opening of an envelope if it had a FIA or BTCC logo?
As for not knowing the "Bottom Line" of some organisations: I would venture the the BTCC has a more healthy bottom line compared to the CSCC, who pay us £10 a day, and are very grateful for every marshal that turns up! I only use the CSCC as an example, I'm sure we could all quote others.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 13:59 (Ref:2831593)   #7
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Curious, isn't it, that the remuneration tends to be in inverse proportion to the profile of the meeting, and I'd personally venture that the on-track experience is too (unless you particularly like the dodgems), yet the number of marshals attracted doesn't reflect that. I can never decide whether it's just me and a few others who get it, or whether we're the weird ones who don't!

However, that's diverting the topic. If some circuits have a problem with someone providing sustenance at low cost to the marshals, there are two obvious choices:

1) Do it yourselves. It's wonderful that someone is making this effort, it hadn't ought to be necessary.
2) Our friendly team could rent us a chair for the evening and provide a free meal as an welcoming gift...
Old 15 Feb 2011, 18:28 (Ref:2831726)   #8
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Curious, isn't it, that the remuneration tends to be in inverse proportion to the profile of the meeting,
Not really curious, just simple supply & demand. No point in the organisers of the meetings are oversubscribed spending money to attract even more marshals.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 19:28 (Ref:2831770)   #9
MacGWC
Racer

United Kingdom
Hanslope, Bucks
MacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Not really curious, just simple supply & demand. No point in the organisers of the meetings are oversubscribed spending money to attract even more marshals.
That may be the hard-hearted approach but the more enlightened look beyond the short term. In 2001/2 the number of recorded marshalling days fell to around 22,000 - from a peak of 50,000 per season. Due principally to the Team Wilson/Marshals' Club recruitment campaigns that figure is now up to a much more healthy 40,000.

If the better off of our organisers slip back into the sort of unthinking short-termism we had in the past, we could soon see the marshalling days slip back again.

And anyway, what happened to consideration and respect for motor sport's volunteer marshals?
Old 15 Feb 2011, 22:30 (Ref:2831866)   #10
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
FRENCHIE44T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGWC View Post
That may be the hard-hearted approach but the more enlightened look beyond the short term. In 2001/2 the number of recorded marshalling days fell to around 22,000 - from a peak of 50,000 per season. Due principally to the Team Wilson/Marshals' Club recruitment campaigns that figure is now up to a much more healthy 40,000.

If the better off of our organisers slip back into the sort of unthinking short-termism we had in the past, we could soon see the marshalling days slip back again.

And anyway, what happened to consideration and respect for motor sport's volunteer marshals?

It looks like were going off topic a bit, but I just want to say, with the price of petrol being what it is, I for one will not be doing as much marshaling this year as I have done in previous years.
Old 16 Feb 2011, 16:54 (Ref:2832207)   #11
MacGWC
Racer

United Kingdom
Hanslope, Bucks
MacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Folks, pleeeeease - keep this thread to the original question, can you?

If you want to rant about treatment by some organisations, start a new thread about it. This one is in respect of a positive suggestion which will hopefully become a positive offer.

If it's made you feel negative then I apologise.
Greem,

Sorry, you are right to complain; this is a generous offer - from one of the smaller players in our sport - and should be treated as such.

I did not consider my piece to negative but there had been several other comments on how easy it is to get consideration and respect from amateur and gentlemen participants but the "professionals" seem not to know we exist. Hence the different level of kind offers like the one you have come across.

For instance, we are trying to have the fiver-a-day for GP marshals re-visited. It has been in being for some fifteen years, while other costs connected with marshalling a GP (petrol for instance) have increased three-fold. Other European countries have recognised this and increased their contribution to expenses accordingly. Why not here? It is the same F1 circus we serve, in one of the most expensive countries in Europe.

Sorry again for invading your space but this difference in appreciation of marshals is still one of the greatest obstacles we face when trying to get some improvement on marshalling issues. The Marshals' Club has fought so hard, on a very small budget, to improve the number of marshals available to the sport, it would be a real shame if this fell away again if we do not at least keep pace with what is happening elsewhere.

Last edited by MacGWC; 16 Feb 2011 at 17:00.
Old 16 Feb 2011, 20:04 (Ref:2832304)   #12
John_B
Rookie

United Kingdom
Rotherham
John_B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoowert View Post
As several people have said: "Every little helps" and a gesture from a small team is only to encouraged. However my original point still stands. The larger the body, the less the thanks. Could it be that the BTCC & F1 are relying on our better nature, that we would turn up for the opening of an envelope if it had a FIA or BTCC logo?
As for not knowing the "Bottom Line" of some organisations: I would venture the the BTCC has a more healthy bottom line compared to the CSCC, who pay us £10 a day, and are very grateful for every marshal that turns up! I only use the CSCC as an example, I'm sure we could all quote others.
Good call with CSCC not only did they pay £10 but for the late finish event at Donington they put on a hog roast for the marshals.

Then turned up at training at Donington and presented a Cheque to help with tarining events.
Now thats club that respect and value marshals.

Take note other clubs.
Old 16 Feb 2011, 20:47 (Ref:2832334)   #13
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Right ho, I've split some of the posts from http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...=126872&page=3, some were a mix of on topic and off so I've done what I think is best. If anyone is particularly unhappy with their post being moved/not moved then yell.
Old 16 Feb 2011, 21:15 (Ref:2832345)   #14
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_B View Post
Good call with CSCC not only did they pay £10 but for the late finish event at Donington they put on a hog roast for the marshals.

Then turned up at training at Donington and presented a Cheque to help with tarining events.
Now thats club that respect and value marshals.

Take note other clubs.
CSCC also made a generous donation for the Marshals Training at Snetterton in January too - which was really appreciated.

Terry
Old 17 Feb 2011, 10:03 (Ref:2832563)   #15
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So if they can do it.........
Old 17 Feb 2011, 10:18 (Ref:2832576)   #16
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
pity you guys in englandshire cant follow the example set by knockhill, not sure about who pays for what but at signon we have free tea/coffee and biscuits, at lunch we get a steak pie, roll, crisps, juice and fruit and we have a lovely big clean bothy to sit in. for the big meetings like btcc there is a massive bbq and party with ale laid on.

only thing we dont have is electric hookup for the caravans, but who needs leccy for the telly anyway
Old 17 Feb 2011, 13:40 (Ref:2832699)   #17
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me & wifey, regardless if it is a Clubby, BTCC or even F1 meeting.
we prepare for the weekend away with meals in hand, or even the chill box.
if we turn up and someone offers Free tea/coffee/food, we take that as a bonus and say thank you to those who supplied it.

We self finance (like everyone) for a weekend away,.
this is our hobby and what we like to do..
we do it because we love our motorsport, not for the freebies.
(but they are a bonus)
Old 17 Feb 2011, 14:02 (Ref:2832715)   #18
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we have a lovely big clean bothy to sit in

Wot's a bothy, is it anything like a bathy?

Bladders...................
Old 17 Feb 2011, 19:28 (Ref:2832902)   #19
Bakersboy
Racer

England
Stoke on Trent
Bakersboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like a bathy but a lot of trouble I think.
Old 17 Feb 2011, 19:54 (Ref:2832917)   #20
shjo558
Racer

Scotland
Scottish Borders
shjo558 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've no idea what a Bothy is either? Alan, what are you on about?
Old 17 Feb 2011, 20:03 (Ref:2832920)   #21
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
I'd always known a bothy as a basic shelter in remote areas, free for anyone to use.
Tends to be term used by hillwalkers/climbers in Scotland.

Bothy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bothy

As for the question, Gachjoel's second paragraph sums up my view too. Some people just expect too much to be paid for by others.
Old 17 Feb 2011, 21:39 (Ref:2832986)   #22
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
'Get closer to the action'
'Feel part of a team'
'Get the best view of the racing'
'Meet new friends'

All things that were mentioned in the leaflet I picked up from the BMMC Team Wilson stand 3 years ago. Can't recall seeing anything about being fed/watered/paid...........
Old 17 Feb 2011, 22:46 (Ref:2833033)   #23
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I take a similar view to others in that for me the primary reason for marshalling is due to the enjoyment/satisfaction I derive from it. As such, I have no particular issue with it being self funding and do not expect 'freebies' from others. However, as and when they are made available, they are gratefully received.
Old 17 Feb 2011, 23:03 (Ref:2833048)   #24
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Humphrey View Post
'Get closer to the action'
'Feel part of a team'
'Get the best view of the racing'
'Meet new friends'

All things that were mentioned in the leaflet I picked up from the BMMC Team Wilson stand 3 years ago. Can't recall seeing anything about being fed/watered/paid...........

yeh same here....theres 2 things that nark me sometimes about marshalling....

1) people who think being paid or getting goodies is a right in marshalling
2) the whole 'heros' thing....i know im not a hero...im just giving back to the sport i love

yeh goodies, the odd fiver to help pay for petrol is a really nice gesture by the clubs to show their appreciation, but i dont marshal for that, i marshal to have fun with a great bunch of guys n gals enjoying the sport i love.

as for the toca thing, i think getting incentives like a raffle/caps etc is done at the clubby meetings to attract more marshals. at btcc meetings every man and his dog turns out so its not really necessary

Anyway Stoowert, if theres any freebee you need its a new pair of shorts to replace those bright orange ones from long beach 03!
Old 18 Feb 2011, 08:47 (Ref:2833169)   #25
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by shjo558 View Post
I've no idea what a Bothy is either? Alan, what are you on about?
sorry old railway term for a messroom, hence that big clean hall that we sit in, signon and eat lunch