Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 1 Sep 2004, 19:28 (Ref:1084080)   #1
abigail
Racer

abigail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hillclimb this weekend

Hello everybody its Abigail again.
My Master and Mistress are supervising the staff packing the best china into the motorhome, so we must be going to a hillclimb again soon. Our butler, who talks posh but is actually a very common person from the Midlands took me for a walk today as Master and Mistress were out dispensing alms to the poor (or Caterham owners as my Mistress calls them). He was talking to another rude Midlands boy on his new fangled mobile phone and said we would be going to Prescott. My Master likes Prescott because the people who run it are a bit like him, with lots of money, except they drive funny blue cars that sound like a Morris Minor with a hernia and which have a habit of falling over at the hairpin when nice young men called Rupert drive them too fast. My Master prefers British cars painted green with very big engines built by Mister Bentley. Isn't it a shame that the Bentley Boys don't have a hillclimb? Oh but they do, don't they! It even has a double barrelled name, Bradley Walsh or something like that! Anyway, enough of my ramblings, Master and Mistress are on their way back in for canapes and cocktails so must go. By the way for all you common Midlands boys canapes are little snacks posh people from Kent have with drinkies; they are not little round tins with small green vegetables in them. Must go and I hope to sniff some of your legs in the Marshals Pavilion on Saturday evening if I can slip off my leash for a while. I do like your quaint little Pavilion, its like the garden shed we keep our gang mower in, only much smaller. Toodle pip, love Abigail
Old 2 Sep 2004, 06:30 (Ref:1084430)   #2
james_williams
Racer

james_williams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunatley not at Prescott this weekend as I am off on holiday. Talk about bad timing!!!

But good luck to all...

Last edited by james_williams; 2 Sep 2004 at 06:32.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 06:56 (Ref:1084441)   #3
abigail
Racer

What a shame James, so many people going on holiday, even Woolley won't be there this weekend as he is off to Greece. Why didn't someone tell the poor boy that they don't have proper motor sport there, only moped racing without crash helmets. I do hope he takes care. Love Abigail
Old 2 Sep 2004, 08:27 (Ref:1084495)   #4
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should also be lots of funny red cars at Prescott this weekend whose owners look forward to having their legs sniffed too I'm sure....
Old 2 Sep 2004, 11:39 (Ref:1084683)   #5
james_williams
Racer

I must do Prescott soon. Due to a number of reasons including holiday, not having a car to drive, car been built, financial constraints etc etc, I have not driven at Prescott since I chucked our faithful old Saracen at the bank at orchard about 3 years ago! I believe I have a score to settle!!

Planning to do the one at the end of September though! Anyone joining me?
Old 2 Sep 2004, 15:00 (Ref:1084886)   #6
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by josvandeperre
Should also be lots of funny red cars at Prescott this weekend whose owners look forward to having their legs sniffed too I'm sure....
Well you watch she doesn't splash your wheel trims then old boy.
Oh I forgot she is far too well bred a dog for that isn't she.

Last edited by Fireblade; 2 Sep 2004 at 15:00.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 21:43 (Ref:1085307)   #7
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by james_williams
I have not driven at Prescott since I chucked our faithful old Saracen at the bank at orchard about 3 years ago!!
James...... was this one the way in or out of Orchard??? good reason to ask.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 05:56 (Ref:1085583)   #8
james_williams
Racer

On the way out. Lost it mid corner and clouted the bank on the outside. No doubt one of you guys were first on the scene. There is a video somewhere on the accident. It was annoying really as I shoudn't have even had the run as on my initial run the timing went wrong! Oh well. All got repaired quickly enough though!
Old 4 Sep 2004, 11:34 (Ref:1086663)   #9
Fireblade
Racer

Well I won't be making it to "The Best Kept Lawns" competition in Gloucestershire this weekend but will no doubt see you all at the grand daddy of all hill climbs next weekend.

Have a good one anyway and keep quiet in front of Abigail.
Old 6 Sep 2004, 11:52 (Ref:1088061)   #10
abigail
Racer

Hello everybody, Abigail again.

I am sure the Butler said that he saw Fireblade at Prescott, but they are rather common motorcycles aren’t they. So sorry I could not come to see you in the Marshals pavilion but Master and Mistress had to go to a very important function called a Stag & Hen party so the new handyman took me for walkies and we went to a rather rough public house some distance from the hill. Master & Mistress enjoyed the function. Apparently a rather nice young couple are getting married soon.

Master enjoyed the competition and managed to get a point in a borrowed car. Apparently it was a very nice weekend but I saw very little being locked away in the motorhome. It seems several records were broken. I don’t understand this, as we no longer have records in our house, only new-fangled CD’s. The people breaking all the records were a nice young man with red hair and a man who looks after teeth for a living. If he comes near my teeth I will sink them into him. A lady also broke a record which is not a very ladylike thing to do.

It seems that our riding mechanic is out of hospital, which is nice for him. The Butler and the rest of the staff look forward to seeing him soon.

Because we were finding it difficult without the riding mechanic, the new handyman was engaged. He works very hard but is rather uncouth with a funny accent. The Butler told the Cook, Housemaid and Groom that he is from the same part of the country that the Gardener comes from, so at least they can understand each other. It is quite a big estate to look after, or Kent as we call it.

The handyman says that some of you silly boys were comparing whistles at the weekend. Apparently one of you has the new Acme Thunderer Testa Rossa Turbo Gti, whilst another has the venerable Acme 1912 Titanic model as used by the lookout on the tragic ship of the same name. No wonder the Captain could not avoid the iceberg. The Butler said that the nice man at the post under the footbridge appeared to have lost the pea from his whistle. I did not fully understand what he meant but the groom said that if you bought a certain lads magazine just before the European Cup you got a free whistle and an England flag, which you boys could have waved. Incidentally the riding mechanic once said that his father’s hillclimb supersports car was built at the same time as the Titanic and from the same material.

Whilst I waited for us to leave in the motorhome some people were talking outside the window. I heard them say that it was nice to see Prescott continuing their tradition which seems to be having several embarrassing incidents involving demonstration runs at lunch break that delay the restart by over half an hour. But at least it gave people time to recover from the shock of paying dearly for overpriced poor quality food in the wooden shack that they pass off as a restaurant. I prefer your wooden hut as you get a much better class of insult in there.

Apparently irascible Mr Roger who lives in a clock tower was there but nice Mr Dean kept out of his way.

Must go as the Mistress is back from Fortnum’s but I will be back later in the week to tell you about our next jaunt. Toodle pip, love Abigail.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 19:38 (Ref:1094367)   #11
Jim Lamb
Racer

England
Sutton Coldfield
Jim Lamb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Abigail, You may appreciate this link which shows your 'Master', in action at Shelsley Walsh last year?

Abigails' master @ Crossing bend, Shelsley Walsh

Am I right, Or "barking up the wrong tree"?
Regards,

Jim Lamb
Old 12 Sep 2004, 22:16 (Ref:1094497)   #12
abigail
Racer

Jim Lamb you are a naughty boy doing all this guessing! Before I tell you about our weekend let me tell all you bad boys and girls out there to stop guessing about me. I may appear to be just what Jim thinks I am but he is wrong. In fact, I hear lots of you have been guessing but none of you are close, not even in the right county. Please stop pestering the wrong people and stop guessing and every now and again we will all have a little smile together with no animosity! If you keep on guessing I will have to stop! And none of you would like that, because you are all rather fond of Abigail aren’t you?

The handyman says I have become a cult figure amongst you. At least I think that’s what he said. He uses a similar word when he talks about the butler. Some of you think the either the butler or the handyman is Abi, but you are all so wrong!! So stop fretting about it and smile!

The master had a very bad weekend. He picked the car up on Friday and has to take it back again. He is so disappointed that he has little time for me and I have been sent to stay with the old buffers who live in the west wing and you won’t hear much from the master and mistress in future. You would like the old buffers, and they like Shelsley Walsh. They say it hasn’t been overdeveloped like the one that is named after the Deputy Prime Minister. They hope it won’t change in the future. They say Shelsley is all Frazer Nashes, flat caps and over-restored MGB’s. A bit like them really. But they do puff a lot when they walk up the hill. The old buffers didn’t go to Prescott last week as some of them went to Goodwood. Funny, I didn’t think they were interested in horse racing.

The staff say you boys and girls all had a very busy weekend with quite a lot of mishaps but that no one is badly hurt. The old buffers were pleased about that, but they were not so happy with the catering. Buffer number one had a cold breakfast and was quite cross. But he didn’t complain because that is not very British.

The Butler told me that nice Mr Willem won all the gongs. We like Mr Willem. He is a very philosophical and clever man and not at all like the Australians that the Butler knows who are all descended from criminals or Bounty mutineers.

I hear that nice young Scott did very well and so did Mr Robin with the funny coloured visor. Darth Vader had a jolly good time as well.

The housemaid said that young Adam was there but that he was not driving so that some others could win something. She really likes Adam a lot, but was upset because she overheard some naughty boys talking who said that he had come along dressed as Julian Clary or Lawrence Llewellyn Bowen and that made her cry!

The old buffers said that the commentary was very very good, although the butler says that some of them are rather excitable and probably work for a local radio station during the week. But he listens to Radio 2 anyway so what would he know!

Must go as buffer number two has just had his shots from the men in white coats and I need to assume faithful hound pose. I hope that the old buffers will take me to Doune and that master and mistress will allow the staff to go. Apparently there may be a party with lots of drinks and falling over. Well it is Scotland! Do behave yourselves! Pip pip, love Abigail.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 23:41 (Ref:1094533)   #13
Mrs BlackX
Racer

Mrs BlackX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by abigail
And none of you would like that, because you are all rather fond of Abigail aren’t you?
I for one hope to be fortuetous enough to attend a meeting where abigail will be as I have ensured that the caravan has a store of treats for her...

I have become very fond of abigail and hope that she continues to update us on her weekends away....

Shireen
Old 13 Sep 2004, 06:59 (Ref:1094720)   #14
abigail
Racer

Thank you Shireen. I hope the pizza that you had with your daughter was nice and that Mr BlackX enjoyed Simply Red or whatever it was he went to. On subject, Mr Jerry of the overcomplicated commentary says that Lawrence Llewellyn Fleetwood will be driving Mr Robins new Gould at Prescott. Should be interesting! Old buffer number three keeps asking whatever has happened to the motorcycle engined Goulds and are they the same car as the GR59 that Mr David and Mr Sean announced on their website. Does anybody know? Anyway its time for the buffers to have their porridge and kippers so cook is busy and I must go. Love, Abigail.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 21:23 (Ref:1095667)   #15
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr Fleetwood was indeed wandering around on Saturday, and very smart he looked too. He also made a point of stopping and shaking hands with all the marshals who were in the paddock at lunchtime, which was very much appreciated. A good bloke and very worthy champion too.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 21:37 (Ref:1095686)   #16
Mrs BlackX
Racer

Quote:
Thank you Shireen. I hope the pizza that you had with your daughter was nice and that Mr BlackX enjoyed Simply Red or whatever it was he went to.
It was a very pleasant weekend thank you abigail, I did have to lower my usual standards and frequent a fast food restaurant. I normally prefer somewhere that I can enjoy a nice glass of white with my meal, but when it is one's daughters birthday, one has to allow her the choice of repast. The one blessing was that I was spared the awful task of going to MacDonalds as it is no longer considered "cool" to be seen there when you reach the tender age of 15...

I would have much preferred to have been at Shelsley Walsh where the class of company is marginally better that Pizza Hut..

Mr BlackX did enjoy Simply Red, he said the Ferrari's were very exciting to watch...

Shireen
Old 13 Sep 2004, 22:19 (Ref:1095742)   #17
abigail
Racer

Shireen, is there a full complement of folk travelling up to Doune? The Butler is quite surprised at the number of midland hill support crew who travel all that way. Billy and Lothian club mates are laying on a good bash but lets be careful not to drink too much and leave that to our little pal with the big red whiskers who has a TR8 in his bothy. When the handyman can arrange a safe untraceable cache for photos the parlour maid will post an incriminating picture from last year! If Junior is there the old buffers owe him a drink. love Abigail
Old 13 Sep 2004, 22:24 (Ref:1095751)   #18
Mrs BlackX
Racer

Quote:
Shireen, is there a full complement of folk travelling up to Doune?
Alas I only know of one travelling to Doune this weekend and that is Pike... I have heard that the Scottish folk are very welcoming and I have indicated to Mr BlackX that I would dearly love to attend this venue..

Maybe next year, but for us this weekend we will be sampling the delights of Loton Park and then the following weekend Prescott.

Shireen
Old 13 Sep 2004, 22:33 (Ref:1095755)   #19
abigail
Racer

Quote:
I have heard that the Scottish folk are very welcoming and I have indicated to Mr BlackX
You really must go next year! BTW anyone on M6 watch your speed near Tebay services. There is sometimes a camera van on an overbridge north of the services. Its tempting to open up as this is usually a free flowing section. Could be a census unit but it looks like a number recognition set-up so take care as it gave the Butler a scare after June Doune. He was checking the post for weeks looking for an official envelope. Time to curl up in the dog basket now but should be back on Wednesday, love Abigail
Old 15 Sep 2004, 12:07 (Ref:1097186)   #20
ranoff
Racer

ranoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anybody know whose entered for Doune? Graeme Wight Junior getting a guest drive in good car would be nice. We know some drivers dont bother the big trip at end of season. We thinking of doing the trip but weather a bit doudtful. Any advice on someplace to stay at short notice would also be nice. We dont like camping, not so tough as some!
Old 15 Sep 2004, 14:48 (Ref:1097345)   #21
Fireblade
Racer

Not going this year ranoff. Some really good places to stay up there though. If you book early enough you can book one of the farmhouse B& B's but they do get booked up early. Especially by those who went in June doing a repeat booking. Failing that there is the Holiday Inn Express at Stirling which is about 11 miles away. Some other hillclimbers will be there I hear from reliable sources.

Have good one.
Old 15 Sep 2004, 20:51 (Ref:1097629)   #22
abigail
Racer

Hello everybody. The old buffers have been supervising the riding mechanic oiling the chains on the Nashs so we are definitely off to Doune. Most of the staff are coming too. Everybody is looking forward to the big party. I hope Mr Billy and Mr Malcolm will be wearing traditional Scots dress because from my low angle I will be able to see what a Scotsman wears under his kilt. They had just better hope that my cold wet nose doesn't cause any surprise! The buffers are not as well informed as some of you so we don't know who is entered, but I hope that it will be as competitive as usual. The old buffers were discussing who is their favourite hillclimb driver of all and quite an argument broke out and the Butler had to intervene. No1 said that Graeme Wight Jr is better than Adam Llewellyn Bowen because he can get so much from a less competitive car. No 2 favours ADO and says that things were much more exciting when he was around. No 3 can remember back to Raymond Mays and thinks he was best, but no 4 dived in and seemed to start talking about old fashioned super 8 home movies because he said the others were talking Bolex and that Ken Wharton was clearly the best all rounder. What do you all think? Shall I start a thread (in the right place of course so we don't upset those nasty moderators) and continue over the winter? We could talk about favourite hills and cars and drivers and other things to while away the time until next season when we will all meet again on some steep (or not so steep) hills and find out just what Darth and Threepio and Julian and Pikey and Robin and Jaws and also all those nice lady drivers will be doing. Some of the staff hope that maybe Mr Steve and Mr Bill will finally put bigger engines in their lovely little cars and scare the pants off the Goulbeam boys. Now wouldn't that be fun! Maybe someone from the past will make a comeback or is this all a silly dream I am having. Love Abigail
Old 15 Sep 2004, 21:05 (Ref:1097650)   #23
Mrs BlackX
Racer

Quote:
I hope Mr Billy and Mr Malcolm will be wearing traditional Scots dress because from my low angle I will be able to see what a Scotsman wears under his kilt. They had just better hope that my cold wet nose doesn't cause any surprise!
Can you use a camera abigail, I am sure that there are plenty of the ladies that would like to see that picture...

Quote:
The old buffers were discussing who is their favourite hillclimb driver of all and quite an argument broke out and the Butler had to intervene. No1 said that Graeme Wight Jr is better than Adam Llewellyn Bowen because he can get so much from a less competitive car. No 2 favours ADO and says that things were much more exciting when he was around. No 3 can remember back to Raymond Mays and thinks he was best, but no 4 dived in and seemed to start talking about old fashioned super 8 home movies because he said the others were talking Bolex and that Ken Wharton was clearly the best all rounder.
Sounds much like our house there abigail, Mr BlackX and myself often discuss the virtues of some drivers as opposed to others. I suppose we should all be grateful that we all have differing opinions as the world would be a boring place otherwise...

Quote:
What do you all think? Shall I start a thread (in the right place of course so we don't upset those nasty moderators) and continue over the winter? We could talk about favourite hills and cars and drivers and other things to while away the time until next season when we will all meet again on some steep (or not so steep) hills
I'm all for that one, it always seems like such a long time till the start of the next season...

Quote:
Maybe someone from the past will make a comeback or is this all a silly dream I am having. Love Abigail
Everyone has to have drams abigail no matter how silly they may seem to others... And as I always say... "You never know what tomorrow will bring"

I hope that you have a pleasant trip over the borders and that the weather is kind to you...

Shireen
xxx
Old 15 Sep 2004, 21:12 (Ref:1097656)   #24
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Best of all time thread? Sounds good. How about these for a start (in no particluar order):

Martin Bolsover
Andy Priaulx
Adam Fleetwood
ADO
Roy Lane
Tony Marsh
Ken Wharton
Raymond Mays

I reckon that's one from each era, plus Roy who's from every era...
Old 15 Sep 2004, 21:34 (Ref:1097680)   #25
abigail
Racer

Woolley is a star and so is Mrs BlackX! When the buffers bring me back from Doune I will start a fresh thread. Meantime I need suggestions as to where that should be. Arrmchair enthusiast is definitely the wrong kennel as it is full of herbert gameboy fans. Somewhere for nostalgia perhaps. But here is another best-of suggestion.

Best Giant killer this season - Phil Cooke

Best Giant killer of recent seasons - Trevor Willis

Best Giant killer of last fifteen years - Roger Moran

Anybody care to respond or name best lady driver of all time?

Love Abigail