Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Feb 2017, 18:07 (Ref:3715162)   #251
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I think too much is being made about who has fins and who doesn't. I read somewhere that the shape and even inclusion of a fin (or not) may change over the course of the season and driver preference and track conditions (propensity for cross winds for example) may factor in. I also fully believe that teams will change a number of details (most small, some maybe larger) between now and the first race.

Related note... Are we to have a testing thread or will the launch thread host testing discussion?

Richard
I don't share your optimism. I think these things are crucial since they block the air from crossing from one side of the car to the other in the crucial area upstream of the rear wing. Most will run them. Apparently Horner tried to get them banned last year and is pushing to have them banned from 2018. God bless him.
Old 27 Feb 2017, 19:29 (Ref:3715184)   #252
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
really like the STR alot and also the Merc...so i guess it follows then that i think visually the STR looks to have more in common with the Merc then it does the RB (which i think is kind of surprising).
Old 27 Feb 2017, 19:42 (Ref:3715185)   #253
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Frankly, I think most of the cars are ugly. Ugly noses, ugly shark fins.

Least ugly IMO are the Mercedes and the Torro Rosso, although I'm not sure I like the color scheme on the Torro Rosso. I''ll reserve judgment on that one until I've seen it on TV.
Old 27 Feb 2017, 21:39 (Ref:3715208)   #254
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
I don't share your optimism. I think these things are crucial since they block the air from crossing from one side of the car to the other in the crucial area upstream of the rear wing. Most will run them. Apparently Horner tried to get them banned last year and is pushing to have them banned from 2018. God bless him.
Not sure I was optimistic about anything one way or another? I was trying (poorly) to state that the usage, size and design "may" be fluid over the course of the season. Also people seem to be overly obsessed who who has a fin, who doesn't, and when did they decide they needed one.

Richard
Old 27 Feb 2017, 22:07 (Ref:3715216)   #255
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Agreed, I think they will all evolve to the maximum size permitted by the regulations. They allow the generation of contained counter rotating vortices down the centre of the car minimizing the spill off the wing ends, more downforce less drag. The effect is also enhanced by lowering the rear wing.
Old 27 Feb 2017, 22:13 (Ref:3715218)   #256
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Would seem they are going to be around 2 to 3 seconds a lap more beautiful.
Why complain?
Old 27 Feb 2017, 22:28 (Ref:3715219)   #257
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They look pretty good. I'm not a fan of the angled wings, but the proportions are much better.
Old 27 Feb 2017, 22:47 (Ref:3715224)   #258
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Honda do make engines that actually run don't they?

I mean, when I crank over my Accord each morning, should I be worried that all the oil is going to piddle out the bottom?

McLaren might be in for a loooooooooong season. Again.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 9 Mar 2017, 03:10 (Ref:3717399)   #259
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Interesting analysis by Piola. The floorboard channel heatsinks on the Ferrari are really cool.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/t...ourite-880339/
Old 10 Mar 2017, 00:36 (Ref:3717640)   #260
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
I wonder if someone someday will be able to make a fin that is transparent? That would limit its affect on the looks.
Old 11 Mar 2017, 16:45 (Ref:3718000)   #261
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny you say that about the transparent fin. I was thinking the exact same thing! They try to hide it with matching the paint....oh well, who said F1 designers are smart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 Mar 2017, 18:53 (Ref:3718034)   #262
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
To me the best workaround for the fin so far is when the paint scheme clearly defined the separation of the line of car to the fin. Sort of how the red bull has the bull defining the line of the car.

But yeah, someone needs to get on that transparent fin, haha. Or put some holographic(?) design on it so it shifts as it goes by and is seen from different angles. These things are such an eyesore on prototypes and now f1 cars. I think open cockpits look even worse with them.
Old 14 Mar 2017, 12:30 (Ref:3718536)   #263
Neppatsrev Xam
Racer

Netherlands
Neppatsrev Xam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a new look for Force India after a new sponsor deal

Old 14 Mar 2017, 13:00 (Ref:3718539)   #264
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
It's... different, certainly.
Old 14 Mar 2017, 13:01 (Ref:3718540)   #265
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
First reaction was to laugh but I actually like it.
Old 14 Mar 2017, 13:01 (Ref:3718541)   #266
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's Pink!

anything for money, that's the modern way.
Old 14 Mar 2017, 13:05 (Ref:3718542)   #267
Neppatsrev Xam
Racer

Netherlands
we know it was certainly not "born" this way
Old 14 Mar 2017, 13:06 (Ref:3718543)   #268
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
It's an improvement I think. 'Pink Panther' comments inbound.....
Old 14 Mar 2017, 13:06 (Ref:3718544)   #269
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
*Checks its not April the 1st*...

*Its not April the 1st*
Old 14 Mar 2017, 13:08 (Ref:3718545)   #270
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Found it....
Attached Thumbnails
18n3fw5yfoceojpg.jpg  
Old 14 Mar 2017, 13:08 (Ref:3718546)   #271
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
What the ! Lol 😃😃😃
Old 14 Mar 2017, 13:11 (Ref:3718547)   #272
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
It's an improvement I think. 'Pink Panther' comments inbound.....
Future sponsor, Owens-Corning... just in case.
Old 14 Mar 2017, 13:34 (Ref:3718551)   #273
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
*Checks its not April the 1st*...

*Its not April the 1st*

Seriously, you pay the bills, you can pick the color. And you know what, while it looks like they also use a blue in their corporate color scheme, if you want to get noticed (and that is why you sponsor a racing team), then there is nothing wrong with pink. I am sure the pink jokes however will be non-stop all season.

It reminds me of the 1980's movie "Stroker Ace". Burt Reynolds plays a NASCAR racer who is sponsored by "Chicken Pit". The sponsor puts the slogan "Fastest Chicken in the South" on his car ("It's in the contract!"). At some point he and the crew dress up in chicken suits (including while he is racing the car)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeoAE5aRNfU

Richard
Old 14 Mar 2017, 13:48 (Ref:3718556)   #274
Neppatsrev Xam
Racer

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post

Seriously, you pay the bills, you can pick the color.

Old 14 Mar 2017, 14:01 (Ref:3718558)   #275
RWill2073
Veteran

Great idea. I bet it gets force India and their sponsor way more attention and it certainly stands out from the rest. Any jokes at their expense will be worse for McLaren when they finish behind the pink car. I kind of like it. Way more fun than another black and silver scheme on the grid.