Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 11 Oct 2010, 22:54 (Ref:2773473)   #26
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera View Post
Last issue I have is also #105.

If anyone requires the odd mag or binder let me know and I'll have a look through the collection.
I've a much treasured almost full set of the magazines - loved them when they came out in the 1980s, and having rediscovered them more recently - dug out of mother's garage, they make for a great way of whiling away an evening.

Following a couple of happy finds at one of the concession stands at Le Mans this year I'm now down to missing the 1983 Sebring/Miami/Daytona endurance special issue to complete the set - if anyone's got a spare I'm willing to pay a reasonably decent amount for it.

For all it was a great magazine with emotive photography and some superb insights - I still remember some of the best bits of 1982 - Arnoux and the rage to win in France and Prost "are those tears fogging up your helmet" in Austria - there were some shortcomings. Reading the 1982/1983 Le Mans issues there really was pretty patchy coverage of what actually went on in the races. Not a huge issue, but compared to the Autoports and MotorSports of the day were producing there was a noticeable lack of words to read.

As a passing comment, GPI still has one of the best period comments imaginable - when Essex was sponsoring Lotus they profiled David Thieme, and commented on how unusual he was to have a "computer" in his office - cue magnificent picture of vast ancient piece of information technology! Let me know if anyone's interested in that particular gem - would happily scan it and send to folk.
Old 12 Oct 2010, 19:07 (Ref:2773956)   #27
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you know what number the missing mag is? I have a list of my GPIs but not which races are in them.
Old 13 Oct 2010, 02:08 (Ref:2774122)   #28
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
you guys will laugh....I dont come on 10/10th that often as before, tonight I just took a peek and saw "Grand Prix Intl.." on the "couch" section main page (meaning it was the last post to be put up in couch)....said, oh neat, that old magazine I used to get---open the thread,,,,and realize it was the thread I started in 2001....kinda funny wot?

long time ago, had forgotten about it.

nice to see and read that others liked it as much as I did.

cheers (now back to seeing if the Chilean miners are going to get out tonight....)
Old 13 Oct 2010, 11:57 (Ref:2774328)   #29
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb View Post
you guys will laugh....I dont come on 10/10th that often as before, tonight I just took a peek and saw "Grand Prix Intl.." on the "couch" section main page (meaning it was the last post to be put up in couch)....said, oh neat, that old magazine I used to get---open the thread,,,,and realize it was the thread I started in 2001....kinda funny wot?

long time ago, had forgotten about it.

nice to see and read that others liked it as much as I did.

cheers (now back to seeing if the Chilean miners are going to get out tonight....)
Nice post old friend.
Old 13 Oct 2010, 14:44 (Ref:2774398)   #30
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC2guy View Post
Just under 10 years between posts. Thats got to be a new record. Well done " not enough road " and welcome to ten tenths. PS i have some old GPIs from the early to mid 80s, but as already mentioned by others, the price for a student of the time was a bit prohibitive.

I think we should congratulate not enough road for (probably) having the good sense to use the search facility before posting!
Old 20 Oct 2010, 04:39 (Ref:2777339)   #31
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Nice post old friend.
bondia bon, thanks. Here the leaves are falling off and I am bicycling in 6c weather. Have a good winter and I hope the Brazilian GP is exciting this year.
Old 20 Oct 2010, 13:19 (Ref:2777521)   #32
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb View Post
bondia bon, thanks. Here the leaves are falling off and I am bicycling in 6c weather. Have a good winter and I hope the Brazilian GP is exciting this year.
Wow 6c ! I had days like this but not anymore ! Now living in the coast, the coldest you get is around 12c, on the other extreme side, summer days usually gets 36c easily...
Hopefully the GP will have the thrill of a title decider, Webber is deserving this plate and I'm all for the good people.
Old 30 Oct 2010, 11:28 (Ref:2782498)   #33
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Do you know what number the missing mag is? I have a list of my GPIs but not which races are in them.
Hi there - apologies for the delayed response - matter of being on PC in study and having presence of mind to have look at GPI collection on bookshelf.

The missing issue in question is Special Issue No. 3 - one of the endurance ones.

If you (or anyone else out there) has a copy they'd be willing to part with I'd be very happy to talk financial terms!
Old 31 Oct 2010, 10:47 (Ref:2782884)   #34
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
I have that one c/w poster. PM me with an offer.
Old 1 Nov 2010, 12:55 (Ref:2783399)   #35
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
I have that one c/w poster. PM me with an offer.
Duly PM'ed - look forward to hearing from you.
Old 6 Nov 2010, 15:16 (Ref:2785833)   #36
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
One less magazine that the wife can't complain about, thanks Ian.

I have a collection of about 70 GPIs in 5 binders if anyone is interested in a job lot. Earliest one is #5 with several gaps up to #63 then looks like a run thru to #105. Not looking for big money.

At the risk of being out of order I'll mention also a box load of car brochures, boxes various mags and books that need to be shifted. Earliest stuff is 1950s vintage such as Autocar.

Donation will be made to local hospice for all items sold.
Old 7 Nov 2010, 15:34 (Ref:2786404)   #37
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This thread has forced me to go down to the garage and dig out the box with GPI in binders.......after a fair bit of huffing and puffing, there it was.

So back on the shelves are the 8 volumes, one for every year plus the special issues. Back then I had a proper job so had a nice chap bind the magazines, they look really good and will assume a prominent position in the library.

Another reason to read 10-10ths
Old 8 Nov 2010, 05:21 (Ref:2786836)   #38
djb
Veteran

well samoan, consider it as preparation for the upcoming woosh of turbos again in the next few years.