Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Oct 2008, 08:08 (Ref:2307362)   #1
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Easter Bathurst - FoSC - 10th, 11th & 12th April 2009

New thread for a new year...

Charles is thinking about the following....QUOTE:

I was raised on a love of those fabulous scenes from Le Mans – that magic period of the 50’ and 60’s in the “Motor” and “Autocar” magazines of the time and of course Brockbank, - with all those great machines like Jaguar, Ferrari, Maserati, Healey, Lister Knobbly, Cooper Bobtail, Mercedes, Lotus, HRG, Cobra and MG, driven with panache by people like Moss, Hawthorn and Collins, not to mention our own great sports cars drivers such as Lex Davison, David Mackay, Spencer Martin and “Pete” Geoghegan.

I was vividly reminded of those childhood memories at our Celebration of Motor Sport at Mount Panorama this Easter by a few of our Regularity cars, and I felt FoSC had the opportunity to recreate that magic moment for next Easter with a whole field of those exciting sports cars and FoSC thinks we should give it go and live a little of history on our own great circuit.

Firstly – NO - we won’t race them, but we will give them special Regularities of their own, maybe a longer distance or even a special Le Mans style of start – we don’t know yet. But we intend all of them to go home happy as can be! FoSC plans to have every possible car from that era in a large Regularity field, so most important right now – we need to locate all those great cars – replicas and as many originals as possible.

This event will not require an Historic log book, firstly as it is not a race and secondly because the replicas I’ve seen are brilliant with some better than originals both in sound and beauty.

I just dream of seeing those cars negotiating Hell corner in a blast of big bore exhaust sounds - reverberating off the pit garages, a real 50’s sports car negotiating the dipper, climbing the Mountain, etc – even gridding up. Please, for a few moments of the V8’s next weekend, watch and dream of a 50’s/60’s sports car field on those famous miles of fabulous country road turned into the best road circuit in the world.

If you have or know of one of these magic cars, contact me or urge others to do so, and let’s try to build a vast field so we can all experience a shiver up the spine of magic old motors’ exhausts and blink a few times as our dream comes to reality.
UNQUOTE
Old 10 Oct 2008, 01:05 (Ref:2308016)   #2
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great concept, hey I'd love to see a one off happen in the production sports cars as well!

Either way, hope to be there again next year...
Old 11 Oct 2008, 21:27 (Ref:2309343)   #3
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm too young to remember/relate to those cars, but i guess it's the sort of thing that would appeal to the FoSC types.

Personally, i would rather see Group C & A Touring cars at FoSC on the mountain in 2010, but then i have a vested interest...............
Old 12 Oct 2008, 22:49 (Ref:2310607)   #4
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TCR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON
I'm too young to remember/relate to those cars, but i guess it's the sort of thing that would appeal to the FoSC types.

Personally, i would rather see Group C & A Touring cars at FoSC on the mountain in 2010, but then i have a vested interest...............
FOSC main focus is sports cars hence the quest to get a gathering of older sports cars. Don't get me wrong I like the old Group A & C cars but it's not really in the spirit of FOSC.

I like what Charles is trying to do BUT there has already been plenty of talk about the cost of entry fees vs the amount of track time competitors were given. Whilst the general concensous seems to be that it was "acceptable" at this years event, I get the distinct feeling that a lot of people would not except any less track time.

With this in mind, I hope that if this happens they replace the regularity for "road cars" so that competitors are still offered at least the same track time as this years event. I missed the '08 meeting but look forward to competing at next years event.

Paul.

Last edited by TCR; 12 Oct 2008 at 22:53.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 01:31 (Ref:2310652)   #5
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That sounds like a great idea!! However, as was stated earlier in this thread, you don't want to disadvantage the competitors that were there this year. The extra half day of racing, IMO, should be reserved for the cars and competitors which made it such a success in 2008.
I have already made arrangements to attend all 3 days next year and I am really looking forward to it.
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 13 Oct 2008, 01:52 (Ref:2310661)   #6
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah, it's a tough call and a fine line to travel.

On one hand Charles will have to weigh up the commitment of those that supported the event this year and deserve recognition again in '09, but on the other hand he'll need to weigh up the improvement that a regularity involving the sort of cars he's chasing would make to the event.

I'm all for supporting those that made the '08 event such a sucess, but to be honest at the end of the day it came down to including another regularity group and losing more of the already "limited" track time OR replacing a regularity of "road cars" with a group of historic racing cars, then I'm voting for the later.

From a spectators point of view I think it'd be a no brainer as well.

Paul.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 02:17 (Ref:2310674)   #7
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR

From a spectators point of view I think it'd be a no brainer as well.

Paul.
Agreed
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 13 Oct 2008, 10:29 (Ref:2311021)   #8
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sussed

Good to see you two have it all sussed...but spare a thought for Charles and his organisers trying to satisfy everyone and at the same time turning away as many people who want to race as those who can race
Old 13 Oct 2008, 11:22 (Ref:2311080)   #9
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Go away Dave, this is my turn to race at Mount Panorama again. You get your chance at other times.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 13 Oct 2008, 20:12 (Ref:2311530)   #10
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
nomad_n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I'll be there to flag for it. This meeting is one of the best I've been to, And the one thing I love about it is all the drivers a)respect you, b) wave to you and then come and thanks you for being there.

I'm hoping to bring a group from 'Powerbuilt' raceway in NZ across to flag it.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 23:02 (Ref:2311700)   #11
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
Good to see you two have it all sussed...but spare a thought for Charles and his organisers trying to satisfy everyone and at the same time turning away as many people who want to race as those who can race
I never claimed to "have it all sussed" If you read my post, I said it was a tough call, and I for one would not want to be in Charles' shoes if he does get the cars together that he wants. I was merely conveying the general feeling of other competitors I have spoken to in regards to track time and the fact that I thought more spectators would prefer to see the historic race cars in a regularity, than regular road cars.

To be honest, I think they might struggle to get enough of the older cars together, so it might not even be an issue. I hope they do though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_n
Well I'll be there to flag for it. This meeting is one of the best I've been to, And the one thing I love about it is all the drivers a)respect you, b) wave to you and then come and thanks you for being there.

I'm hoping to bring a group from 'Powerbuilt' raceway in NZ across to flag it.
It's people like you that make these events possible nomad, much appreciated.

Seeya there, Paul.

Last edited by TCR; 13 Oct 2008 at 23:05.
Old 14 Oct 2008, 00:35 (Ref:2311735)   #12
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Quote:
I clearly stated that the concept of older sportscars in a regularity trial was a good idea and that it could and should be included on the programme BUT ONLY if the competitors who made the event such a success in 2008 were not disadvantaged by including this new event. It is because of these guys that the event will be held again in 2009.
275 GTB-4 - perhaps next time you retaliate against another person's opinion, you shouls properly read what was written . Sometimes I think people join this forum for the sole purpose of starting something
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 14 Oct 2008, 07:55 (Ref:2311926)   #13
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Oi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly13
275 GTB-4 - perhaps next time you retaliate against another person's opinion, you shouls properly read what was written . Sometimes I think people join this forum for the sole purpose of starting something
and next time you go off half-cocked maybe check first on what was being said...no criticism intended...just making the observation that you two had it "sussed" but that Charles is the one with the real headache...as I said, twice as many competitors to cater for than can be fitted into a three day program (inserts more smileys so people know I'm not having a dig)
Old 14 Oct 2008, 09:18 (Ref:2311996)   #14
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
and next time you go off half-cocked maybe check first on what was being said...no criticism intended...just making the observation that you two had it "sussed" but that Charles is the one with the real headache...as I said, twice as many competitors to cater for than can be fitted into a three day program (inserts more smileys so people know I'm not having a dig)
Amazing how a smiley can change the tone of a post
Old 15 Oct 2008, 06:39 (Ref:2312758)   #15
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama
Go away Dave, this is my turn to race at Mount Panorama again. You get your chance at other times.
Not anymore. Group N were outbid for October and incredibly, we rejected an offer to run at the 12 Hour !!!!
Old 15 Oct 2008, 08:03 (Ref:2312808)   #16
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Easter

Quote:
Not anymore. Group N were outbid for October and incredibly, we rejected an offer to run at the 12 Hour !!!!
Catch you at Easter Dave...I promise never to make another smart crack about fuel
Old 15 Oct 2008, 08:38 (Ref:2312835)   #17
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why oh why would you reject a run at the 12Hr???
Old 15 Oct 2008, 08:43 (Ref:2312839)   #18
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Group N

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors
Not in the spirit of Appendix J/Group N racing??? Not a fair contest?? ummm
Old 15 Oct 2008, 12:25 (Ref:2312997)   #19
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors
It was 4 weeks prior to FoSC and offered twice the track time for double the entry fee. Incredibly, all but 20 Group N guys said, "I'll give it a miss and do FoSC instead." With just 20 EOIs, the category manager had no choice but to reluctantly refuse the offer.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 13:07 (Ref:2313035)   #20
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DOH!
Old 15 Oct 2008, 14:40 (Ref:2313094)   #21
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Quote:
Once again, I don't really know what you're on about. Maybe you should voice your own opinion on the subject, rather than criticising others who do . I'm sure that their are about, oh, 400 competitors from this year's event who would agree with me - "why should we get same/less track time as 2008 event in an expanded 2009 event, when we were the reason it is being held again in 2009?"
Also, as a spectator I was clearly stating what I would prefer to see. I am paying my money to attend something I want to watch. If I get a choice on what I want to watch, or a say in the matter, even better.
I would love to hear what you would do, or how you would like to see this situation unfold.
PM me if you need me to to explain myself in finer detail. I can take you through it step-by-step .
By the way,
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 16 Oct 2008, 09:40 (Ref:2313705)   #22
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly13
Once again, I don't really know what you're on about. Maybe you should voice your own opinion on the subject, rather than criticising others who do . I'm sure that their are about, oh, 400 competitors from this year's event who would agree with me - "why should we get same/less track time as 2008 event in an expanded 2009 event, when we were the reason it is being held again in 2009?"
Also, as a spectator I was clearly stating what I would prefer to see. I am paying my money to attend something I want to watch. If I get a choice on what I want to watch, or a say in the matter, even better.
I would love to hear what you would do, or how you would like to see this situation unfold.
PM me if you need me to to explain myself in finer detail. I can take you through it step-by-step .
By the way,
OK
Old 16 Oct 2008, 20:28 (Ref:2314194)   #23
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
nomad_n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All I can say is bring it on....... Does any know if AMG are doing their test days there again this year?

We are on track to bring a number of flaggies from NZ next year...
Old 19 Oct 2008, 12:06 (Ref:2315845)   #24
alfacors
Veteran

don't know if MB are doing their thing or not, but I've just booked accommodation for the Easter Weekend already, and the 12 hour!
Old 20 Oct 2008, 11:15 (Ref:2316598)   #25
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Quote:
OK
Either way the organisers choose to go with the categories they include, I'm still really looking forward to the event. Will you be competing 275?
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...