Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 May 2016, 07:30 (Ref:3638369)   #101
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I gotta wonder how the hell Phelps/Rogers got it so wrong in that previous link? Phelps quotes Rogers as saying the deal is done. There's some egg on faces surrounding that article, someone has it VERY wrong.
Old 4 May 2016, 07:35 (Ref:3638371)   #102
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
I gotta wonder how the hell Phelps/Rogers got it so wrong in that previous link? Phelps quotes Rogers as saying the deal is done. There's some egg on faces surrounding that article, someone has it VERY wrong.
Speedcafe updated their story to suggest now that the Polestar funding/branding may fall off the GRM cars next season, and given that Polestar-badged cars are no longer sold here, likely makes sense

GRM are mentioned in the Speedcafe article as planning to run S60s in 2017 regardless...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 4 May 2016, 07:42 (Ref:3638372)   #103
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My understanding is that Volvo is in, Polestar is out, and Cyan are not sure.

Losing Polestar isn't that big of a deal. It's Cyan who builds the engines, etc.
Old 4 May 2016, 07:49 (Ref:3638376)   #104
AnEmmoFan
Rookie

AnEmmoFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But will the Polestar announcement provide a reason for Nissan to exit? We could end up with the return of the Commodore Cup in 2017! (I do not want that to happen)
Old 4 May 2016, 08:05 (Ref:3638382)   #105
AWASP
Rookie

AWASP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnEmmoFan View Post
But will the Polestar announcement provide a reason for Nissan to exit? We could end up with the return of the Commodore Cup in 2017! (I do not want that to happen)
Ditto
Scotty firming to DJR/P for 2016 - if not possibly a done deal already
COTF - will it last as the base after 2017
Edited - Can Pace/MARC become a factor in providing brand variety &/or competitiveness & will V8SC allow it
or
Beginning of the END

Last edited by AWASP; 4 May 2016 at 08:15.
Old 4 May 2016, 08:46 (Ref:3638388)   #106
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
caught up with the news

wonder what changed from a week ago

Last edited by peckstar; 4 May 2016 at 09:00.
Old 4 May 2016, 09:02 (Ref:3638392)   #107
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Confirmed Out By Volvo Car Australia

A privateer S60 next year for GRM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
But Volvo Cars Australia spokesman Greg Bosnich says the manufacturer cars are "not on the starting grid for 2017".

"We enjoyed the experience, it's been fantastic for the brand and we'll move on," he says.

Last edited by GTRMagic; 4 May 2016 at 09:08.
Old 4 May 2016, 09:14 (Ref:3638395)   #108
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So I guess Gary is going to find himself in the same position as the Benz now with development, and how is he commercially going to fund the team?
Old 4 May 2016, 09:37 (Ref:3638401)   #109
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Impossible to see how this program can stay competitive with no manufacturer support.The example of the AMG's is very instructive here.
Old 4 May 2016, 10:03 (Ref:3638408)   #110
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Volvo Car Australia Says Out...Because Polestar Said Out

Old 4 May 2016, 10:10 (Ref:3638409)   #111
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So the hypothetical question has to be asked.... If V8Supercars had allowed non-V8 engines in 2014, could/would Volvo have developed something else and stayed?
Old 4 May 2016, 10:43 (Ref:3638414)   #112
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GRM Commits To Run Volvo In 2017
Old 4 May 2016, 11:14 (Ref:3638420)   #113
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
That's disappointing. :\
Old 4 May 2016, 17:26 (Ref:3638503)   #114
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It just gets worse and worse ... I really don't like where this is heading. Volvo/Polestar/Cyan/Whoever could possibly have lost all the brownie points gained at Phillip Island and a whole heap more with these plays. Very negative for the brand image here in Oz.

Its all going back to Sweden!

It was one week ago that Mr Phelps and the Daily Telegraph proudly stated "The Daily Telegraph can exclusively reveal Volvo this week signed the V8 deal which will see them become the first car company to join the sport under the new generation rules with Holden, Nissan and Ford all in doubt beyond this year."

I guess they need the cars for the soon to be announced V8 Swedish Supercar Series ... NOT!

The deal must have been "signed" on dunny paper. How could this have been reported so incorrectly and then gone so bad? I can only think that there must be more to this than meets the eye. What did happen in the Swedish boardroom over the weekend?

Hope Volvo paid all the air fares GRM incurred for the weekend.

Last edited by RedZedMikey; 4 May 2016 at 17:52.
Old 4 May 2016, 18:06 (Ref:3638509)   #115
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Wow.
Old 4 May 2016, 18:39 (Ref:3638517)   #116
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Skaife & Longhurst both did a round of a national series in Europe (French or Italian from memory) in preparation for their drives in the World Cup at Monza
13:24 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLZv...rQK_s9jeQgJ9m9
Old 4 May 2016, 18:54 (Ref:3638521)   #117
divxx
Racer

United States
Other side of the pond
divxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm genuinely surprised to see the Phelps story is still up. Eagerly awaiting an explanation on how it was reported so spectacularly wrong. Was the Rogers quote completely made up?
Old 4 May 2016, 20:03 (Ref:3638539)   #118
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
So Cyan are taking back the chassis too? The engines I can understand as part of a lease deal but I guess it depends on who paid for what.

What a crock. I couldn't give a rats ass about losing a couple of Commodores but those two beautiful in blue Ovlovs? And to see this happen to GRM makes me sad. So if the cars are going back home then what are GRM going to do for next year? At least they know now and not later in the year so they have time up their sleeve to sort something for 2017
Old 4 May 2016, 20:11 (Ref:3638543)   #119
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZedMikey View Post
Recall the same thing happened when Volvo pulled out of Group A and Super Touring, but they were factory efforts with cars built overseas. Could understand them pulling the engines but strange the chassis, not as if they will have any use for them.
Old 4 May 2016, 20:19 (Ref:3638548)   #120
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
So if the cars are going back home then what are GRM going to do for next year?
Back to Holden probably, maybe the two 2013 built VFs being raced by Dragon Motor Racing in the development series will be recalled.
Old 4 May 2016, 20:30 (Ref:3638554)   #121
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
Back to Holden probably, maybe the two 2013 built VFs being raced by Dragon Motor Racing in the development series will be recalled.
There is also a brand spanker unraced VF with Dragon as well... so GRM haven't forgotten how to build Holdens...

A cynic might argue the Dragon connection is/was a little like valet parking, and its time for GRM to hand the tickets to the keymaster.

Old 4 May 2016, 20:55 (Ref:3638562)   #122
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Recall the same thing happened when Volvo pulled out of Group A and Super Touring, but they were factory efforts with cars built overseas. Could understand them pulling the engines but strange the chassis, not as if they will have any use for them.
Volvo do not want to be represented in the class.The cars are their intellectual property.They have every right to demand no one runs them.
Nissan next!
Old 4 May 2016, 21:04 (Ref:3638565)   #123
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Volvo do not want to be represented in the class.The cars are their intellectual property.They have every right to demand no one runs them.

Nissan next!

As much as I'm not happy with how the series future appears to be planned out (or not see as it seems to be) I'm never happy when we lose a manufacturer. There's no joy in that.
Old 4 May 2016, 21:22 (Ref:3638573)   #124
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Its much like the evolution of F1, much as the fans may not like it, the reality is that manufacturers want to showcase cars that represent where their businesses are heading, and that is not down the V8 path.

If manufacturer support is to return, a clean sheet approach needs to be adopted much like the BTCC did a few years ago, rather than manipulating to allow retention of V8s. Otherwise the series and teams needs to be structured on the assumption that manufacturer support will not be forthcoming.
Old 4 May 2016, 21:51 (Ref:3638581)   #125
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Its much like the evolution of F1, much as the fans may not like it, the reality is that manufacturers want to showcase cars that represent where their businesses are heading, and that is not down the V8 path.

If manufacturer support is to return, a clean sheet approach needs to be adopted much like the BTCC did a few years ago, rather than manipulating to allow retention of V8s. Otherwise the series and teams needs to be structured on the assumption that manufacturer support will not be forthcoming.
Isn't that the intention of Gen2?